“Great Location”

Ranked #14 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Toronto
“Great Location”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Enjoyed my stay at Rooms. Disappointed they have no WiFi in rooms. It was an inconvenience to have to use my laptop in the dining room or outside. The only other real disappointment is the there were only 2 washers & dryers for the place and either one or the other was out of service on either floor. The food was average aside from the jerk chicken which was lovely. Extremely affordable and close to everything - namely Dolphin Cove which was much fun!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Cathy R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

The room served it's purpose as a place to sleep as I was not around during the days. The staff at the restaurant was great as were those who helped with tours. Unfortunately the front desk receptionists were horrible enough to negate anything positive. Every time I stopped at the front to ask for something or ask a question, the staff acted as if I was an inconvenience. The last morning I actually had to wait a few minutes while they tried to fix the telephone. These women should have been told that as the representatives of the hotel with which guests first interact, they are the most vital in providing CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank AsianAbroad

Travelers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I am glad I didn't read the reviews before I booked or I would have missed out on a great place to stay. The price was right and I went there knowing it was'nt a five star hotel. The place was clean and I sure didn't see anything crawling. the staff is great better than many 5 star hotels. The location is great its right on the beach and just a short walk to food and shopping.
The only problem I had was the safe in the room did not work.
If I ever go back to Ocho Rios I will be staying at the ROOMS.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank path233
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed March 9, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a week vacation to Rooms Ocho Rios. I must say we were dissapointed with our stay. When we got to our room we discouvered that our safe was not working so no where to put our valuables. We asked the front desk about it and all they gave us a lock to put on another safe that wasn't even bolted down to anything. The room was a good size with a seperate living area where the kitchenette was. Full size fridge was good and the stove mostly worked. The cleanliness of the kitchen area and bathroom was aweful. Our view was of the back of the hotel garbage area.......not very nice at alll. Fans didn't work in the room at all.The music was always loud at the bar so couldn't really have a conversation.Not to mention the all night Sunday party that happened next to us the second day we were there. The vendors on the beach were relentless and pestered us every day. The beach was okay but water had lots of weeds. The staff were friendly which was a plus. I can say that we will not be back to this hotel if we decide to take a vacation in Ocho Rios again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shirley_111929
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

Rooms Ocho Rios is a clean, safe hotel frequented by internationals and Jamaicans alike. It is an excellent place from which to explore Ocho Rios and Jamaica. You can walk to good restaurants such as Mongoose or Passage to India which are on Main Street or take a free shuttle to Evita's by calling them directly. The beach is right there and the hotel provides loungers and towels for its guests. Desk service and room cleaning is crisp and efficient. The continental breakfast is very adequate with juice, fruit and sweet rolls served with a smile. Coffee, toast and cereal are available by self service. My wife and I would certainly use Rooms another time.

If you decide to go snorkelling, talk to Captain David Simms on the beach who has old glass bottom boats and a personal touch. He will also take you to Dunn's River Falls as part of the trip. Go to the second reef as the one opposite the hotel is sadly quite dead with few fish.

All in all Jamaica is wonderful partly because of the people and its vibrant, accessible culture. Mix it up and talk to people and you will be delighted with the warmth of most Jamaicans.

Room Tip: We had room 1333, on the third floor away from the noise of the pool. Great view of the bay and hote...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Michael2199
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Ok, where to start? I'm a Jamaican Canadian who just got back from my first trip home since 1987! This was my first time traveling alone and on a very tight budget. I was seeking an authentic Jamaican experience and I can honestly say that Rooms was the perfect fit: the high volume of local visitors to the hotel and on the public beach provided daily opportunities for interacting closely with a diverse population of other Jamaican visitors and local residents.
Nice surprise! upon arrival to be upgraded to a Junior Suite with balcony featuring a very comfortable King sized bed, quietly working AC, a spacious layout, and a roomy balcony.
I stayed for 2 weeks and found ALL off the hotel staff to be amazing: very welcoming, professional, efficient, responsive and consistently friendly. So...Much Respect! to Junior (Hotel Maintenance and Jack of all trades) who hooked up my DVD player to the TV on day 1 and actually fixed the Treadmill in the gym on day 2 of my stay! To Miss Jackie who kept my room immaculately clean and provided fresh towels and coffee and friendly chatter and sound advice daily. To Shelley Anne Dixon, Veronica and all the other front desk staff who were friendly, resourceful and efficient. To the Hotel Manager, Ms Davis, who was a clear and visible presence and unquestionably in charge of the day to day running of the Hotel and the goings-on therein. But yet never failed to take the time to great me every day with a smile and sincere inquiry as to how I was doing. I was most touched and appreciative of your spontaneous offer to let me use your cell phone to call to my daughter in Vancouver! Your generosity of spirit and no nonsense management approach definitely sets a commendable standard of conduct for every member of your staff. Nuff Niceness! to Dwayne who gave me updates on the availability of ackee and salt fish a la cart every morning at breakfast and mixed awesome Virgin fruit punches poolside. One Love! to Gewayne (aka "Fruity") who provided the best local fruit right on premises daily: especially those Julie mangoes which were so good that I was actually able to trade one in town for Internet time!! and Richie the Lobster man who made me the best Eschovic fish dinner that I have ever had in my life on my last night there.

And...last but by no means least, Jah Bless! every one of those local "Bad Influences" on the beach (Yah! you know who you are) whose colorful and somewhat wicked lives provided opportunities to go safely accompanied to nearby communities, hear some killer music, eat real yard food and to develop much needed insight into the reality of life for these young Jamaicans living on the Rock. If I had had more...I would have gladly given more as so much was also freely given to me. I was most moved by some of the simplest spontaneous gestures of true Jamaican hospitality: a pink Hibiscus plucked and presented; a free guided tour of the Turtle Park; a fresh young coconut brought to my room at breakfast time; etc, etc.

Thank you ALL for a wonderful homecoming! Hope to see you all again soon.
Joanne Hoo

Room Tip: As I have seen mentioned here before, if you don't like loud music ask for a room that is far fr...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Joanne H
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2014

The hotel was okay but could use a face lift. Staff was very nice and helpful.

Unfortunately, it was quite noisy but usually ended at 11 pm which was fine. On our final night (Sunday) there was a very large and noisy celebration which kept most of the hotel from sleep until 1:30am. The staff called police but that didn't seem to matter.

Very urban area so if you want peace and quiet, this would not be a good fit.

We did get a really good deal but will not go back here.

Room Tip: We liked the ocean front with balcony but can hear the music from the beach/pool area until 11pm on...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Royal Decameron Club Caribbean
Fun Holiday Beach Resort
SuperClubs Rooms on the Beach Negril

Been to Rooms Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!