We stayed during the Thanksgiving holiday and indeed we had a lovely time. However when we arrived at the airport we were met outside the closed lounge and put outside and forgotten. We had to find to transportation from the hotel ourselves. No one seemed to care. The lounge was closed in the airport and forget anything to drink there or in route. What's the point of them advertising something that doesn't exist?
Once at the destination it was nice. The Pappilion was no 5 star restaurant. It was average and the food was repetative. Same menu every night- JOY! It was my anniversary and I only made one special request to eat on the outside deck on that night. Our bulter, Richard couldn't manage it and never bothered to tell us- so when i told him of my disappointment he (Richard) lied and said I never said that and since it was such a great place that should be good enough. NOT! After that Richard spent the rest of our vacation trying to make it up to me and failed miserably at each opportunity. I wanted no more to do with him. Butler my behind! Apparently if you make dinner reservations before you get there you might get to eat out on the porch of the "5 Star" restaurant. I think Richard just didn't care. Another day they left shrimp cocktails in our room after and excursion- we were back 3 hours late and the shrimp were room temp.- Gee I really wanted to die from food poisioning- Thanks again Richard. I dumped them out into the hall- yuck! I will know next time.
Our second butler, Cleon was nice and seemed to be on the right track.
The general manager Peter was great. He worked his behind off to make everyone happy. Our room on the thrid floor was very quiet. The view was nice of the ocean, there is very little beach. Most of the guests are Europeans and none spoke to us. Seemed strange to us, but we didn't care.
The alcohol brand variety at the hotel was poor. No spiced rum, no single malt. What were we paying for? Beer? The food in the restaurants was repetative and got boring.
The golf was fun and our caddie was great, we played twice. Not cheap even if its free, by the time they tack everything on - its about $150 per round.
They bring in locals to sell junk- so if you want a souvenir you don't really have to leave and be harassed by the locals. We never had a moments problem with any locals.
We did the raft trip down the matha brae and went to the coffee plantation- all in all very pleasant and again no one bothered us.
We got a great deal and considered going back but the sale on black Friday we indeed 5-600 more thay we paid for this trip so so we didn't bother to rebook. It was all in all nice, but more because of no kids and small size than anything else.
If I were Peter I would fire Richare as he really lowered my perspective of what a butler does- apparently nothing in his case.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •All suite resort and all are serviced by butlers trained by the Guild of Professional English Butlers•2 private beaches with beach butler service•The Caribbean’s only Champagne and Caviar Bar•Exquisite International, Mediterranean, Caribbean and French cuisine•24 hour in suite dining•Complimentary transfers from this resort to all Sandals Resorts•Voted Sandals Resorts “World Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row•Voted Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand” 18 years in a row•Five Star Diamond Award - American Academy of Hospitality Sciences ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, TravelUp, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sandals Royal Plantation reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Royal Plantation Hotel Ocho Rios
- Royal Plantation Ocho Rios
- Royal Plantation Jamaica
- Sandals Royal Plantation Jamaica/Ocho Rios