“Kevin & Juline Dream Wedding/Family Vacation” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandals Royal Plantation

Sandals Royal Plantation
Ranked #3 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
A TripAdvisor Member
“Kevin & Juline Dream Wedding/Family Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2005

Our travel Agent recommended The Royal Plantation for our wedding and our family vacation. The resort is magnificent and we travel quite a bit and we have never experienced such incredible service before.

The resort is so beautiful and the employess are so polite. They goal is to make sure you're happy. When the time came for us to leave we were almost in tears. I did not want to go home. We cannot wait to get back to the peace and tranquility of the resort again. As a matter of fact my husband and I are going back again February 2006

We stayed in the Governor's General Suite, the suite is so beautiful, the master bedroom has a gorgeous poster bed and a juccuzi in the bathoom. There's two seperate balconies with the most breathtaking views. The bar was always full of every kind of alcohol beverage you can think of. Expensive ones. All was inclusive.

The food, breakfast, luch and dinner was incredible, just be careful you can gain major wait from the food. Everything was so delicious.

The pool are is lovely, not as big as some hotel pools I've seen but more luxurious. my family enjoyed it.

The beach attendants were wonderful, laying out towels and made sure we had umbrellas for shade. They made sure we always had drinks. Oh the drinks oh my, any type of tropical drinks you can think of.

The Spa is out of this world. We gave all our families spa treatments, facials and massages. Some member of our families could not keep away from the spa. The couples include me and my husband got couples massage. Allitle bit on the expensive side but well woth it and fabulous.

Restaurants are great. We dine at three different restaurants, two f them we casual but one was very upscale and you had be dress properly.

We paid an all inclusive package including the food I think it's an excellent value for what we got. The only think I did not like is that the travel agent told us all the activities were included. Including going next door to Sandals. Wwe found out when we got there that was not the case. So the activities we extra, kind of expensive so we did not do too much activities. My daughter and younger sister loved jet skiing, so they did allot of that, $20.00 a pop.

From what the travel agent told us we expected a great wedding, well it was nothink like the travel agent explained to us. It was better than we had imagined it would be. Our wedding Cordinator Andre was the most wonderful person we have ever met. He took the time to go over everything little details with us, from the time, site food, music, etc. everything.

Our wedding ceremony took place on the pier and the reception in doors in a beautiful room. We relased two white doves at the wedding. We will absolutely re-new our 10, 25, 50 etc. vows there. I highly recomend the Royal Plantation for any one wedding. Andre Reid is the man, he will give you your dream wedding.

Overall me and my family we definitelygo back for our vacations. It is the best hotel/resort we have ever stayed in. We are extremely happy!

I'm including some of the beautiful picutres we took of the resort, our suite and our wedding.

I want take this opportunity to thank the following peole who made our wedging/vacation enjoyable.

Andre - for giving me my dream wedding.
Durant - for the most romantic diner on the pier.
Susan - for making sure I had the honey moon suite I dreamt of.
Claudete - the couple massage for me and my husband
Neika - for making my hair and face beautiful for my wedding.
Damian - for showing us to our rooms
Restaurant Managers, Supervisors and staffs - for making sure our favorite meals we serve to us. Especialy for my Jaimacan Patties, they were delicous.
Everyone else who made our stay the most memorable. All the managers, The gift shop staff, the Spa staff, the from desk staff, the Concierge. Houskeeping. Thanks to all the Resort Staffs.

21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
  • Korean first
jackson, ms
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2005

My husband and I couldn't have dreamed a better honeymoon! We stayed for 5 nights in August. The Royal Plantation exceeded my expectations and provided us with wonderful honeymoon memories. The beach, the food, and especially the service was outstanding in every way.

Each day started out at the beach where we were greeted with mimosas and fresh fruit after the staff set up our chairs, which were super comfortable and soft. When the sun was really hot, a staff member was there to mist me down with cool refreshing rose fragranced water. This was followed by lunch at the Royal Cafe... the lobster BLT is fantastic as well as the fried oyster appetizer. I looked forward to hearing the mento band that played at lunch everyday. Ask them to play Bam Bam LuLu!

In the afternoons, we snorkeledd (again, just the 2 of us) sailed out on the Hobie, kayaked and napped on the beach or by the pool. We also climbed Dunn's River Falls, although I wouldn't recommend it. But never the less, we were given the royal treatment even when we left the resort. Our driver took us to the falls and walked us straight though the line to our tour guide, who was great. We were given the VIP tour of the falls (just 4 of us) and didn't wait in any lines.

At the time of our stay, there were probably one 15 couples in the whole resort, which I believe has just under 80 rooms. Because of the low occupancy, the resort hosted a dinner on Wednesday night for all the guests, the GM (Peter Forgot-his-last-name), the head Chef Dennis, the food and beverage manager, etc... We were all seated at one long table for a very formal dinner, in which Chef Dennis explained each course as well as the wine selection.

My husband and I really enjoyed the low occupancy. For example, our first night at dinner we were the ONLY couple in the restaurant. Talk about being treated like royalty! That was my first impression of the resort and still is one of my favorite memories of the entire trip. We were seated on the terrace at Flambe' and enjoyed the sound of the waves, the stars and candlelight... the perfect way to start our honeymoon. The food was fabulous as well as the pinot and the service.

There is no crazy nightlife. But we did have a blast every night, whether it was my husband and I hanging out with other guests in the piano bar or us and the staff. If you buy the bartender (Milton) a few shots, he'll get you as many bottles of pinot as you want ;) I think we had the bartenders, the band and a few other staff members watching as my husband and I danced the "pretzel" on the empty dance floor around 2:00 a.m.

I can't say enough how much we enjoyed the RP. What stands out the most is the attentive staff. Another example, I asked the bartender at the Royal Cafe (beach restaurant/bar) for the breakfast menu to which he replied, "I'm sorry, we only serve breakfast at the restaurant upstairs." Of couse, I said no problem, don't worry about it. So i ordered another hummingbird and headed back to my chair. Ten minutes later, a waitress approached me with the breakfast menu and asked what would i like. They brought us french toast and eggs right to our beach chairs!

• Stayed August 2005
14 Thank coachswifey
Hillside
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2005

My experience at Royal Plantation:

My lovely bride and I were married at the royal plantation on May 21, 2005. Our experience was one of joy and pure satisfaction! We couldn't have chosen a better resort on the island to host our very special occasion!

First of all, when planning our destination wedding (weddingmoon) there were several factors that went into deciding our planning:

1. Accommodations (must be 4 star or better)
2. Geography (Travel for us and our guest should be no more than 5 hours)

At the time...TripAdvisor, listed Jamaica Inn and Royal Plantation respectively as the number #1 and #2 top resorts in Ochoa, Rios. I originally picked "Jamaica Inn" however; my wife-to-be selected the Royal Plantation.

After several conversations, she won and we both decided on The Royal Plantation.

Once we arrived at the airport (Sangster Airport), we waited at the sandals lounge, these accommodations are just for guests staying at its properties on the island. The lounge is comfortable and has the added plus of air-conditioning (be thankful, everyone else waits in the airport waiting area where there is little to no air conditioning).

The employees in the lounge serve cold beer from the tap, and sliced quarter sandwiches (during “our trip”).

We ended up waiting 45 minutes to an 1 hour for our car, it seems that the transportation company that RP contracts with bumbled the reservation. If possible, call RP a day in advance and confirm that your car pickup is scheduled. However, the air-conditioned lounge made it much easier to deal with the mishap of the private car.

I won't say much about our drive to the resort, because others have commented plenty about half of the unfinished roads. All in all, the 1 hour 45 minute trip wasn't bad.

Once entering the resort you will see nicely manicured lawns, beautiful peacocks, flowers, and richly painted colors throughout. You are greeted with a smile and led to the receiving area where you are given refreshing cool hand towels to wipe your face and hands, and something to drink (champagne or whatever you request). Once you check in you are then given a tour of the resort and shown to your room.

The beach is both excellent and clean, pools are always available. The resort is meticulously clean and you can tell attention to detail is a priority, in the service that you receive.

There is a mix of tourist staying at the resort from Europe as well as the U.S. and other countries, for the most part everyone is friendly.

The Royal Plantation, will allow guest to tip their wait staff/housekeeper/etc, however, don't feel forced, (to tip) as gratuity is deducted in the upfront purchase price of your stay if you selected the "all-n-clusive" plan. However this is not the case if you chose the EP (European Plan).

I, on the other hand tipped, as I traveled outside the resort and made an attempt to learn more about the culture. I discovered that very many of the individuals who work for the many different resorts don't get paid much. Many of the resorts, it seem to me, take advantage of the locals.

Speaking with the individuals I met on the island many are paid $40.00 (U.S.) a week, working 6-7 days a week.

Many depend upon tips to make ends meet, so while your there, tip if you feel your service was excellent.

Many of the other resorts in Ocho, Rios also include tips in their purchase price, however, the wait staff isn't allowed to accept tips or they can be fired!

Bottled water (20 fl oz) truly costs $3.00, a cheeseburger and French fries cost $11.00. The food is good! Especially, the Royal Cafe and Le Papillon restaurant and I don't want to forget about the Flamb'e.

There are cabs arranged through the resort that can take you anywhere you want to go off-site on the island. However, be warned that you are going to pay $15.00 for two persons, each way ($30.00 roundtrip) no matter if your trip is only 1 mile. However, if you are willing to walk off-site and hale a cab yourself you can arrange for a much lower fare! My cousin, who served as my best man paid $1.00 US one-way to go to the same destination! (Wow! what a racket!)

They tell you the costs are elevated because the cost of insuring the cabbies are expensive.

In addition, to the regular resort fee we also purchased the Diamond Wedding Package ($1,499), which the RP included additional amenities, such as massages, pedicure, & Manicure, private car pickup from the airport, etc. You can read more about the wedding packages by simply going to ---------.

We chose to get married onsite on the ocean pier at 4:30PM, however we were told because it rained two days prior in the evening that we should move it up to 1:00pm by our wedding coordinator.

Ohh.. Our wedding coordinator, Andre Reid, What a constant professional! He made sure that our every need was being addressed. If you are looking to get married at this resort, he will be the person who will pull all the strings to get you what you need at the resort.

Andre, we even spoke to Andre 2 months prior to the wedding asking questions and making plans.

He made himself available and was patient and courteous to the end. In fact, my wife and me consider Andre part of the family. Andre, if you’re reading this review Kudos to you!!!!!

The wedding turned out beautiful! When we share our wedding photos with our friends and family members they couldn't believe how beautiful the pictures were. In fact, many thought that we were in a photographer’s office with a fake background of the water and beach.

One piece of advice, wear white!!! Although, our ceremony took place on the pier under the gazebo, it was pretty humid. My groomsmen and I wore black tuxes, while my wife wore an ivory dress and escaped the heat. However, after 40 minutes of poses on the pier and the beach we made it to the reception room ("Drawing Room").

The wedding cake, the food, the Calypso band was great! However, keep in mind that you won't be able to take your wedding cake home with you if you don't eat it all, as cutoms will stop you from carrying food back to the US.

I thought that the photographer and videographer did a great job but my only complaint was... they (videographers) could only shoot footage using analogue equipment. They don't have digital equipment. The latest trend is to use digital video equipment, which offers better resolution. When they film your wedding they hand the footage to you in the form of an analogue VHS tape. However, if you own your own video camera and would like them to use it, they just might allow it for no charge. However, this shouldn't be a problem, as they will move to digital equipment in the near future.

In closing, my wife and I anticipate on returning to the resort for our five year anniversary.

Be interested in what your experiences are.

Jay!

• Stayed May 2005
25 Thank Videoman
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2005

My wife and I spent our honeymoon (7 days) at the Royal Plantation and it is something that we will never forget. The resort is small and quaint, but I think that if you are looking for a party spot you can always go to one of the other properties in Jamaica that cater to a younger crowd. After a year of wedding planning this was the perfect place to relax and enjoy each other. The room was that we stayed in was the "Honeymoon Plantation Ocean Front Suite" and it was a large and beautiful room with a great view of the ocean. There was a fully stocked mini bar in the room that was stocked on a daily basis. There is an evening turn down service that I really enjoyed. Just something about coming to your room after dinner and a walk on the beach to find a robe and slippers waiting on you. The staff is the best there is. They have that way of making you feel like you are royalty and that they are there just to please you. They were always able to handle our every need in a timely and fashionable manner and even a few special requests they handled with no problem. The staff was very helpful, friendly and professional and I haven't seen anything like that at any hotel in the U.S. (even at some of the higher end chains e.g Ritz-Carlton). The only problem that I had with the resort was the breakfast. In my opinion the breakfast was the worst meal that I had while there, and it wasn't that bad. However, it simply didn't compare to the other meals served at the restaurants. If you are into caviar, they have a caviar bar on the property (wasn't included in the all inclusive package, but hey it was my honeymoon). The spa services were great. My wife and I really enjoyed the spa (it was my first time ever going to a spa and now I am spoiled). I ordered room service a few times and the food was just as good as the food at the restaurants on the property. This a beautiful property with A+ service and if you are looking for a little quiet time and romance I would say this is the place to go. I know that the next time that I am in Jamaica, this resort will be my first choice.

• Stayed June 2005
9 Thank ntelligent_1
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2005

My husband and I spent our Honeymoon at The Royal Plantation in February of 2005. The resort was charming, but very small. Overall, the resort was very clean and the service was good. Sometimes they made mistakes or were slow, but they tried to please. Tipping was definitely appreciated!
The pool was tiny! If you are a pool person, forget it! The pool is smaller than a back yard pool. Although the pool chairs were really nice & comfortable. The beach was a little bigger than the pool, but the chairs were TERRIBLE! They didn't even go all the way down, so that you can lay on your stomach!
The food was great! I have to say that we were impressed. All three restaurants had great menus. The French restaurant especially, had excellent food! The incredible desserts in all of the restaurants were a bonus!
The suites are beautiful! The views incredible! The bar stacked! But how much time do you actually spend in the room? It was nice to enjoy the beautiful balcony and the view of the ocean in the evenings and when you first wake up... But I think it's more important for a resort to have a beautiful big pool and lounging area. That definitely lacked.
The spa was nice, although I can't say that they were the best massages we've ever had. The gym was really nice for a small resort!
We were there 8 days and because the resort was so small, you knew everyone that stayed there and you would notice as new people would arrive. So if you want your anonymity, it's impossible.
Nightly entertainment is limited. The piano bar or the billiards room are your 2 choices for entertainment. Needless to say we got a lot of practice at pool!
My advice: If you find small resorts charming in their own way, then you would appreciate this place. If you need a nice pool and comfortable chairs to relax in, you will be dissapointed.

• Stayed February 2005
21 Thank TruthfulFriend
Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2005

My husband and I stayed at Royal Plantation for 7 days and 6 nights for our honeymoon. Overall, we were really impressed with the hotel and would certainly recommmend it to others and visit there again without question, but there were some items that needed to be addressed (these are my complaints, not my husband's- he was thrilled with everything).

We were originally supposed to stay at Ritz-Carlton Montego Bay, but due to some bad weather in late April, the hotel was going to be closed until mid June. Our travel agent gave us the option of Half Moon, Royal Plantation, or any of the Sandals properties in Jamaica. We decided on Royal Plantation- Half Moon was going to charge us more, despite the fact that they weren't supposed to and I was completely against Sandals. So. Royal Plantation was our decision, even though I was nervous about the drive to Ocho Rios.

When we landed, the workers in the airport bombarded us, trying to give us rides to the hotel, but we knew we were supposed to go to a particular booth. Since Royal Plantation is owned by Sandals, we were able to go into their lounge and wait for our driver. We ended up waiting for about 10 minutes and riding by ourselves to the hotel, which was fine with us. Once we arrived (after about and hour and a half of some of the scariest driving I have ever experienced), we were greeted at Royal Plantation. The staff immediately gave us whatever drink we wanted and they were great- very fresh fruit in my drink and both mine and my husband's drink were very cold and refreshing. The concierge we dealt with was very friendly when we checked in, but as the week went on, was one of the only staff members who took an attitude with us. We also noticed how he treated employees and we were appalled that he would act so rudely in front of guests. When we got to our room, we did not have enough towels, our air conditioner began leaking and the sliding doors in our room wouldn't lock, but all of those were corrected within 10 minutes of us settling in. The minibar was fully stocked and was continually stocked while we were there.

We ordered room service the first two nights we were there and it was great both nights. The food was flavorful and very fresh. The desserts (every night, not just room service) were sinful- there is no other way to describe them. The only problem we had was the second night my husband's appetizer was not delivered to the room, but as soon as he told the waiter, he ran back downstairs and got it- we think he just forgot to put it on the tray and to be honest, he had a lot to carry. I also ordered room service for breakfast the morning my husband went to play golf and it was great- the fruit was so fresh!

There were some nights that there were problems with the food, though. I thought the selection could have been much better. There were mainly seafood and beef options. I do not like seafood and you can only eat so much beef before it gets old. One of the only chicken dishes they served had coconut on it and I don't like it either (luckily, it was easy to scrape off). I ordered this dish one night and the chicken was undercooked- still visibly pink. I sent it back and ordered steak (my 3rd beef dinner in a row), and it was much better. The next night and the most formal restaurant, I ordered beef again and instead of being cooked medium well, it was cooked medium rare. This was correctly immediately, but it shouldn't have been a problem to begin with. One restaurant was great, but was greasy. We only had time to go there once, but I would hesitate going bak there because of the grease. There needs to be a greater range of food- I tried to eat some seafood, but I didn't like it and would have loved some pasta or something along those lines). The afternoon tea was always great. They have some of the best cucumber and tomato sandwiches I have ever had in my life and the scones were always fluffy. I highly recommend attending this at least one day- the staff for this was excellent!

I went to the spa twice- once for reflexology, which was wonderful and once for a manicure/pedicure. The manicure/pedicure left a lot to be desired. The paint starting chipping within 12 hours of me getting my nails done (and I was on vacation- it's not like I was doing any strenuous work that would make the paint chip). Lately when I have gotten pedicures, the salon has had a massage chair with a foot bath. The manicurist gave me a Rubbermaid plastic tub with barely warm water to soak my feet in- there was no foot bath, scrubing salts, anything along those lines. For a place that touts themselves as one of the best spas, I was very disappointed. For something like a massage, I would expect the person to be quiet and let me relax, but I like for the people who do my nails to talk and be able to carry on a conversation- this girl couldn't and it was really boring and uncomfortable.

My husband is a golf pro and knows what constitutes and good and bad golf course. He was very impressed with the golf facilities and course, so any bad reviews it has gotten don't hold much ground- they were either remedied by the time we arrived or were review by someone who didn't understand a good or bad course. The grounds of the hotel are immaculately kept- the landscaping was truly breathtaking.

With the exception of the original concierge we dealt with and one of the people who worked the information desk, the staff was very friendly and willing to provide guests with anything they needed. I actually didn't feel well our first day and the kitchen manager found some peanut butter for me to eat (it's one of the only things I felt like eating), which was really impressive. It didn't take long for the bartenders, afternoon tea, and breakfast staff to learn what mine and my husband's preferences were and they were consistent with their service. Dinner was hit or miss- typically the service was good, but there was one night that the waiter was more concerned with dancing to the reggae band and being funny rather than bringing dinner out to the guests.

Overall, it was a great experience. Since this is their off-season they are in the process of training people, but they acted just as professional as people who had been working there for years. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2005
18 Thank tb99
Reading, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2005

We stayed at the Royal Plantation from May 27-June 2. We were originally scheduled to stay at the Ritz Carlton Rose Hall, but they are closed due to flooding (thank god I checked the website since the Ritz never bothered to call to say they were closed). Rather than take the shuttle from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios, we chartered a plane with TimAir -- a good decision. The flight was only 30 minutes as opposed to the 2 hour bus ride.
When we arrived at the resort, we were immediately greeted by staff members who got us drinks and checked us in hassle free. We were taken on a tour then shown to our rooms. We had the deluxe oceanfront suite (the least expensive rooms). The rooms were very nice and clean. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom left a little to be desired. The showers were less than stellar and not at all marble as advertised. Our shower and sinks did not drain properly and although maintenance came every time we called them about this problem, the problem was never fixed. This was a minor inconvenience and would not deter us from returning.
The food was above average but not exceptional. Selection is limited and the resort did not plan well for the lobster mating season by ordering sufficient lobster in advance. This meant that although on the menu, it was not offered.
The staff was great. Your wish is their command. Drinks were plentiful at the beach and pool.
A few complaints about the beach and pool. There are insufficient umbrellas and very little shade on the main beach. A plus about the beach is the chair covers for the beach chairs. The downside, however, is that the watersports staff does not allow them off the beach for use on the chairs at the pool. This was the only time we were disappointed by the staff.
The resort was practically empty when we were there. There were only about 40 guests, which made us feel like we had the resort to ourselves.
This is a very nice resort and I would stay there again.

8 Thank Ranger's Mom
Sandals South Coast
Sandals South Coast
#1 of 1 in White House
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,559 reviews

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!