“Paradise”

Ranked #3 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Columbia, South Carolina
“Paradise”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

I recently vacationed with my boyfriend at Sandals Royal Plantation and let me tell you it was paradise. Once we arrived, Sherril(one of our butlers) takes us to our room, I was surprised to see that there were birthday decorations, a bubble bath, and a birthday cake waiting for me. I don't think that there could have been a better way to start our vacation. I have to give a special thanks to my boyfriend and our lovely butlers Sherril and Hector.
Sherril and Hector are genuinely two of the most kindest people i've ever meant. My boyfriend and I are pretty laid back and we did not need much but they go beyond there way to make sure that we have anything and everything. For example we decided to change our dinner reservation, we did not care where we would dine that evening so we just asked Hector to surprise us with another place. Hector just tells us to be ready by 7:00 and he then takes us down to a private table, looking out to the beach. It was breathtaking, the table was set with flower petals and a candle lit dinner. Make sure to take good care of your butlers because they will go beyond their way to take great care of you!
The rest of the Royal Plantation staff is phenomenal as well! Oneil, who is part of the beach/pool staff is great. He was very helpful and friendly. He made sure we had everything to make us comfortable on the beach! The Wobbly Peacock is a must! You have to sit at the bar and grab a few drinks. There lovely bartenders, Garrnet, Andre, and Junior will keep you great company!
My boyfriend and I ventured outside of the resort and we went to Blue Hole(a must), had great jerk at Scotchies, and did some shopping. If you plan on venturing out, ask your butler to get you in contact with one of their drivers Orville! Orville is another genuine person we meant on this wonderful vacation! He took great care of us and showed us around Ocho Rios.
** Yes Royal Plantation is probably Sandal's smallest resorts but one of the perks is that bond you get with the staff also staying at RP you get all the perks of the Sandals Grande Riviera Resort next door!
We had a blast vacationing at the Royal Plantation - We can't wait till our next visit.

5 Thank Jenny N
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Plantation, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Hello Jenny,

Thank you for your review of Sandals Royal Plantation. We are thrilled that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay from beginning to end and had a great time celebrating your birthday with us! It was such a pleasure to have had you as our guests and we hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
  • Korean first
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We stayed here for a short trip on one of those last minute deals. We wanted to check this resort out along with Sandals Grand Riviera next door. We wanted to try out a different Sandals than our usual one and see what we thought.

This resort is small at 72 rooms which makes getting around very nice and you can always find a quiet place to relax which I have found to be so at other sandals resorts as well. There's only one pool area, but you'll find that it's not crowded and you'll probably have it all to yourself if you want. If you're used to volley ball and gangnum style blasting in the background you won't find it here. SRP is very quiet, and very peaceful. The grounds are wonderful and almost everyplace has an unspoiled view of the ocean. The cove beaches are very nice and feel very secluded and the beach butlers, or any staff actually, are always there to help you out and make sure you're okay. The room was great and the view, THE VIEW was PERFECT. We had a blast getting our butler to 'fancy up' our room and have them bring us dinner. We sat in our little living room area with the open sliding glass doors and just took it all in over dinner. Fantastic. If you want a quiet getaway to be alone together and have the personal attention of the butler then this is for you.

Room Tip: I think the East Wing has the better view but you can't go wrong as they all face the ocean.
5 Thank C C
Thank you so much for your review, C C.

We are happy that Sandals Royal Plantation was the perfect location for relaxing getaway to paradise! It's lovely that you were able to completely unwind and get some much needed R&R. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon!
Hinsdale, IL
Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I came for a wedding at Beaches, but that was not an option. This is the first review I have ever written, but I think I am going to start writing them more often. I would say we stay at higher end hotels and enjoy the finer things in life. I guess I should say, I know we do.
I would say this is a decent place with excellent customer service and a friendly staff. The butlers are a nice touch and Richard was great to us.
As far as the food being the best we have ever had, that us not the case. I am by no means a picky eater, but when people say this is the best food they have eaten, they have never enjoyed a real meal. It is manageable, and we weren't expecting it to be the best. You find something you like and you stick with it.
The rooms are in need of some work, but the general areas are decorated nicely.
We are pool kind of people, but the pool is not really an option here! Tiny! The pool at our house is bigger.
Overall we enjoyed the trip, although we would never choose this as a dream trip. If there wasn't a wedding, we wouldn't have come.
Thanks to Richard for keeping things interesting all the time.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Brent S
Thank you for your review, Brent.
We are happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay at Sandals Royal Plantation and that our staff members were able to make sure that you had a good time during your stay with us. However, we noted that you were not completely satisfied with some aspects of your vacation experience and we appreciate you taking the time to notify us of your concerns. As hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process. Therefore, your comments have been passed on to the relevant departments for immediate evaluation and action as needed. We hope to welcome you back in the future for a much better stay that will definitely exceed your expectations.
Greenville, SC
Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

This was my second visit to Sandals properly (Beaches on Turkes was the other). The Royal Plantation was everything we could have asked for. I booked the basic room and was upgraded to a suite on the 2nd floor on the West wing (I think, non-smoking beach side).

The Fantastic(s):

-The Staff. Our Butlers Hector and Sherril were absolutely amazing beyond description. We are really laid back and looked at our butlers and staff as friends more than anything.

One example, we decided not to dine at Le Papillon a 2nd evening. I asked Hector to make other arrangements, I trusted him just surprise us. "Ok, be ready for dinner @ 7:00 PM" He leads us down to the lowest terrace overlooking the ocean and has a private white table cloth dinner set up for us with flowers and candles surrounding the table (and no...there was no charge). Blew my mind!!

Oneil the pool/beach attendant went above and beyond to make sure we had towels always, he was amazing!

The beach butler staff fantastic and were the three guys in the Wobbly Peacock (no one has a smile like Junior)

*Now I understand why people mention these Royal Plantation employees by name, they feel like family almost.

- The Food. The food is outstanding here. We ventured over to the Grand Riviera almost every day for a bit and had 2 dinners, 1 lunch and 1 breakfast-all were poor. All meals at the Royal Plantation were excellent. The highlights were Le Papillon and the Royal Grill for beach side lunch. The Terrace had excellent breakfast.

-The Grounds. Awesome. Just know the two beaches are small. We did not get to the beach before 10:00 AM and never had an issue getting beach chairs. The pool was never more than 1/2 full. We liked to spend the afternoons doing the swim up pool/bars next door.

Could be improved:

-The AC in our room seemed to work ok but it was still soooo humid, maybe just unavoidable.

- Bathrooms could use a little updating

Must Get out of The Resort and Visit:

-The Blue Hole (think Dunns River Falls only 100x better)

-Scotchies, best jerk in Jamaica. I liked the pork over the chicken.

**Ask for driver Orville to take you around, what a sweet, honest guy.

We would not think about coming back anywhere else.

PS--On the beach between the Royal and Grand, there is a group of locals selling art, carvings....they are super cool. Rupert Nelson is the elder man and is way nice, give respect, get respect. They make some beautiful things.

Bless

• Stayed June 2014
6 Thank aiko492
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2014

We are a much traveled couple and have stayed in some of the best hotels in the world. We have been to the Royal Plantation on four previous occasions and have always considered it special. In May we returned after a break of seven years and, on this occasion, everything was far, far beyond our expectations. In the last few weeks, we have asked ourselves many times why we waited so long to return. We stayed in the Villa Plantana as a special treat and it was fabulous - a place of serenity and wonderful hospitality.

The Villa was superb with an immaculate tropical garden, pool and jacuzzi presided over by Oratio our butler and kept in immaculate condition by Claudine. Amongst his many skills, Oratio could prepare an excellent traditional Jamaican lunch, sumptuous breakfasts and wonderful cocktails. As before, the food and drink in the restaurants and the bars was excellent, the gardens and beaches were immaculate. All over the resort the staff were friendly and professional and they always had that smile that only the Jamaicans can do.

We would like to say a big 'thank you' to Marlisa, Caroline and all the staff at the Royal Plantation and to Simone in London for making this a wonderful holiday that we will never forget.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michael G
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Yes, Sandals Royal Plantation is just as good as everyone says. The rooms are nice and the food is great. The beach is small but comfortable. But the people there are remarkable. Reviews often name drop people like Adrian who are highly visible and extremely popular with guests. I think the thing that other reviews don't adequately convey is the depth of people at this resort. As we sat in the airport on the way home we easily came up with a dozen names of people that we recalled fondly. They each took the time to get to know us and would stop to chat or bump a fist (respect!) or shake a hand or nod a head as we traversed the resort. There was another dozen people that we saw regularly who's name we simply didn't catch or couldn't recall. They were no less friendly and helpful. I kid you not when I say that the groundskeepers working in the gardens were more polite than the majority of staff at nearly every place I've ever stayed. It is truly a special group of people at a unique resort.

Room Tip: There is relatively little reason to pay more for a nicer room. I'd suggest going with the leas...
3 Thank Jeremy W
Chicago
Reviewed June 21, 2014

We celebrated on 25th anniversary at SRP about 6 weeks ago and we had a wonderful time. My husband was a little concerned about the size of the resort, small beach, etc. but after only a day he realized that his fears were unfounded. We enjoyed the small, intimate atmosphere of SRP and the beach was very nice. The beach staff groomed it at least once a day and although small, the chairs are not on top of each other like they are at many other all-inclusive resorts. Like many have said, however, if long walks on the beach are a must for you, then this is not the resort for you.

We stayed in a Great House suite on the second floor of the west wing. We loved this location. It was nice to be on the same floor as the Terrace and the Wobbly Peacock and it was only a short walk down a few flights of stairs to the beach. There is an elevator, but we rarely used it. The stairs were faster. Our view was beautiful and the room was very quiet. We were never bothered by any noise. We did sleep with the french doors closed. We didn't really spend much time in our room so the lack of a balcony was a non issue.

The food is everything everyone says it is! We had some of the best food we have ever had on this vacation. For breakfast we ate at the Terrace all days but one when we ordered room service. There is both buffet and menu service for breakfast. We tried both, but for the most part just had the buffet. There was a good selection on the buffet. Tand you could always have For lunch we ate at the Royal Grill all days except for Tuesday when we went to the Terrace for the small plates lunch. This lunch was really terrific. You get to try small portions of a lot of things. This lunch did take about 2 hours, though which is why we ate at the grill the rest of the days. We really didn't want to spend that much time eating lunch every day. The food at the grill was also very good. Some of the highlights were the jerk chicken, coconut shrimp and the daily fish specials.

The dinners were what were really exceptional. We ate at the Terrace 3x, Le Papillon 2x and the Royal Grill once. We were a little underwhelmed by the dinner at the Royal Grill, but it may have been our choices, because our friends really enjoyed their dinner there. All our other meals were exceptional. I cannot say enough about the quality of the food at SRP. We have been to many all-inclusives and none can hold a candle to the food at SRP.

As we anticipated, there isn't much in the way of night life here. It was probably even a little quieter than we expected. There is some type of entertainment most nights, but, at least the week we were there, it was never very well attended. Even the Wobbly Peacock was very quiet most nights. Again, I'm sure this varies depending on the crowd there.

Last, but not least, we need to speak of the service. We had read how great the service is, but were still blown away by it. The staff goes out of its way to be pleasant/friendly. They remember your name and what you like to drink, etc. Because of its small size and friendly staff, SRP does quickly feel like home in just a short week.

A special thank you to those who really made our week memorable:
Andre - whose smile, magic tricks, and killer drinks made many of our evenings lots of fun
Adrian - who kept us happy on the beach and made us feel like family
Sanjay - our favorite waiter who served us both in the Terrace and Le Papillon; so friendly, yet so professional
Nevardo - our waiter for our first meal at SRP who made us realize immediately that this was a special place

We also met some very nice couples on the trip. Two couples in particular really helped make this vacation special and will always be friends. You know who you are! ;)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Round Hill Hotel & Villas

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!