Sandals Royal Plantation
Good 3.5/5
    Edgewater(Ocho Rios)
    Very Good 4/5
      2,731 results
      All reviewswobbly peacockle papillonbeach butlerroyal grilleast beachterrace restaurantfrench restaurantpeter fraserfrench balconyarnold nugentbutler servicelobster bltrose waterour honeymoonfood and beverage managereast wingthe general manager
      FilterAll languages
      Reviewed June 8, 2014

My husband and I visited Sandals Royal Plantation May 12-16. Amazing staff, amazing food and an over all good experience.We arrived home the evening of the 16th. On the 17th, I started getting sick. I went to the local emergency department and was treated for traveller's tummy and sent home with antibiotics, anti-diarrhea, and anti-nauseau medication. Two days later, an ED nurse called to inform me that my stool culture came back positive for salmonella poisoning. I was sick for 10 days. Paying $3,000+ is definitely not worth 10 days of sitting on the toilet.

6  Thank Amanda J
      Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2014

Hello Amanda,
      Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Sandals Royal Plantation. We regret to hear that your stay with us was marred by the unexpected illness you experienced upon returning home. We appreciate your feedback and our resort management team is aware of your concerns. As a precaution, we immediately did a thorough check of our facilities and food supply along with alerting all staff members to monitor our dining areas closely. Fortunately, to date we have not received any other complaints from staff or guests about illness at our resort.
      We hope you both have fully recovered and that we can welcome you back for a more pleasant experience in the future.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

Went here for our honeymoon last year. The hotel is small but nice, the best thing about it is the food, totally different to other all inclusives.
      Having a butler is a nice touch, we're not particularly "needy" so we didn't have them running around for us, but the bubble baths and chocolates in the room on various days were nice. Some of the other guests who go there (or were there when we were) can be very demanding and unbelievably rude. We had a couple of meals ruined, at the French restaurant I had to interject on behalf of the waiter because the customer was tearing a strip off him for daring to have a special which contained mushrooms!
      The rooms are nice enough but the bathrooms could do with a bit of modernisation. As smokers the lack of a balcony was a bit of an issue but we knew about that before we went.
      All in all a nice place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
      1  Thank Giles S
      Reviewed June 8, 2014

This is a much smaller sandals hotel. It is all butler resort which it real terms means it is butler lite. Each butler looks after 8 couples which means they are over run. The bathrooms are a bit out dated but the rest of the hotel food and service (except in the verandah where they serve tea where the staff can be rude) it is outstanding. I would definitely return here.

1  Thank Ali671162
      Reviewed June 7, 2014

For our anniversary we went to Sandals Royal Plantation. It was our third time going to a Sandals resort, and we really enjoyed ourselves.

This resort is a little more subdued than other Sandals resorts - and I say that as a positive thing. You can go back and forth easily to the larger Sandals Grande Rivera, which has a more lively atmosphere (swim up bars, more group based activities, younger clientele), and then retreat back to the quieter Royal Plantation for a less crowded beach, quieter pool time, etc. We did this frequently, taking advantage of the livelier atmosphere when we wanted it, more restaurant choices, (even though Royal Plantation's restaurants had the best food out of all 4 Sandals we have now visited) and the quiet when we preferred that instead. We would definitely stay at the Royal Plantation again.

Staff was fantastic. Our butlers (and we're so not butler people) Richard and Sheldon were great, took wonderful care of us, and enjoyed laughing with us. We also received excellent service across the board. Lackland and Nickroy at the restaurant went above and beyond developing a delicious dish for my wife who is a vegetarian that wasn't on the menu. (It was so good that a meat-eater I even ate some). Allex (also from the restaurant) came over to give us history behind some of the music played.

Oneil and Biggs at the beach always made sure we where greeted by a smile had great seats at the beach and full glasses at all times. (Oneil one evening said a joyful goodnight at midnight and greeted us with as big a smile at 6 am the next morning - impressive)

We only had two complaints in our week at the resort - both around the topic of communication by the resort to us. The first was that we didn't find out that you are supposed to tip your butlers until after we arrived on property (rest of the resort -- and all Sandals -- have a no-tipping policy, which we knew from past stays). Our butlers were great, so we wanted to take care of them but almost didn't have cash to do so since we didn't know this in advance. It would have been helpful to know what a "suggested" tip would have been. We read everything in our quick study online from $50 a week to $150 a day (which brings a luxury priced vacation up in price quite a bit without planning). It left us from feeling "all included" to slightly uncomfortable that we were being cheep. The second was that the tennis courts at Grand Plantation (and half the courts at Grande Rivera) were being refurbished. We're avid tennis players and really look forward to getting to play when on vacation, and even indicated it when we were surveyed by the property before our stay) so it would have been appreciated to know this in advance.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
      2  Thank kbs200
      Reviewed June 7, 2014

My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon at RP on Monday June 2nd. It was a wonderful experience. Everything top notch. The food , as all the other reviews state is top notch. The grounds are just beautiful. Lots of lush trees and peacocks roaming around ( BEWARE THEY ARE LOUD IN THE MORNING-EARLY). We spent 2 evenings for dinner at Grand Riviera next door and the shuttle was timely and convenient. We were not sure what to use butlers for as we are not too needy, but we did enjoy having them make reservations for us, setting up excursions and having their company ( they were both amazing people). Our butlers were Neil and Kenroy and they left a special surprise of rose petals, card and chocolates on our bed one evening. An awesome touch. They were readily available when we needed them and only checked on us once or twice daily ( which was just perfect for us). They can accept tips and definitely should be if your experience is as good as ours was.
      We enjoyed getting to know all the staff and special shout outs to those that made our honeymoon the most special are our butlers stated above, Oshane the activities coordinator ( I hope the dance competition today goes well!), Daniello, Andre, Adrian, Cleon, Richard, Oral , Orlando and Junior. These individuals range from beach servers, restaurant servers, bartenders and more and provided the best service as well as wonderful company. My husband and I can't wait to return and see you all again as we left feeling like friends. Due to the small nature of the resort I'm not sure it would make sense to have more restaurants, but perhaps a bit more variety or change throughout week during lunch and breakfast. Next door has more options in restaurants ( we had sushi and Mediterranean) .
      The only disappointment I had was I got a "sports " message at the spa and It was more expensive than the average massage I would pay for but I was looking forward to some deep tissue work after 17 months of wedding planning. The massage was relaxing but not, in my opinion, worth the 200$ I spent on it. It was supposed to have deep tissue and get out knots and it was neither. I also told the masseuse I my jaw was bothering me and perhaps she could do some massaging around that area with neck and she stated" this isn't normally included but I will since you said its hurting)?!? It said full body in the brochure and I've always had my head and neck massaged on a full body so it was a bit confusing. The actual spa experience was wonderful. Flavored water, free access of steam and sauna rooms and free shampoo and conditioners with a great smell. I just expected better quality massage.
      The crowd during our stay at RP was 40 and over which we expected based on reviews and so it's laid back and relaxed in evenings. This quietness was not a con for us, we enjoyed every minute of our stay a but we may go next door more the next time we stay to get some variety of experiences. Beaches are small but perfect for laying out and reading. We never had any issues finding chairs as some of reported in other reviews.

Cons: Spa massage was overpriced and subpar ( in my opinion), everyone turns in early-so if you are night owls keep this in mind( we honestly got tired pretty early after dinner and drinks so again not an issue for us). The 2 hour drive to and from the airport ( not RP problem at all). The driving there is a bit crazy and I found myself gripping my seat because the drivers weaving in and out and around us and almost hitting head on traffic made me nervous.

Pros: EVERYTHING: STAFF, FOOD, SIZE of resort, SERVICE, FACILITIES.

We hope to return in the near future :))

Room Tip: Rooms on west beach have balconies and may be quieter since they are away from where the peacocks generally hang out.
      4  Thank Elyse H