“Relaxing, Wonderful staff, Quaint and Amazing food”

Sandals Royal Plantation
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed June 7, 2014

My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon at RP on Monday June 2nd. It was a wonderful experience. Everything top notch. The food , as all the other reviews state is top notch. The grounds are just beautiful. Lots of lush trees and peacocks roaming around ( BEWARE THEY ARE LOUD IN THE MORNING-EARLY). We spent 2 evenings for dinner at Grand Riviera next door and the shuttle was timely and convenient. We were not sure what to use butlers for as we are not too needy, but we did enjoy having them make reservations for us, setting up excursions and having their company ( they were both amazing people). Our butlers were Neil and Kenroy and they left a special surprise of rose petals, card and chocolates on our bed one evening. An awesome touch. They were readily available when we needed them and only checked on us once or twice daily ( which was just perfect for us). They can accept tips and definitely should be if your experience is as good as ours was.
We enjoyed getting to know all the staff and special shout outs to those that made our honeymoon the most special are our butlers stated above, Oshane the activities coordinator ( I hope the dance competition today goes well!), Daniello, Andre, Adrian, Cleon, Richard, Oral , Orlando and Junior. These individuals range from beach servers, restaurant servers, bartenders and more and provided the best service as well as wonderful company. My husband and I can't wait to return and see you all again as we left feeling like friends. Due to the small nature of the resort I'm not sure it would make sense to have more restaurants, but perhaps a bit more variety or change throughout week during lunch and breakfast. Next door has more options in restaurants ( we had sushi and Mediterranean) .
The only disappointment I had was I got a "sports " message at the spa and It was more expensive than the average massage I would pay for but I was looking forward to some deep tissue work after 17 months of wedding planning. The massage was relaxing but not, in my opinion, worth the 200$ I spent on it. It was supposed to have deep tissue and get out knots and it was neither. I also told the masseuse I my jaw was bothering me and perhaps she could do some massaging around that area with neck and she stated" this isn't normally included but I will since you said its hurting)?!? It said full body in the brochure and I've always had my head and neck massaged on a full body so it was a bit confusing. The actual spa experience was wonderful. Flavored water, free access of steam and sauna rooms and free shampoo and conditioners with a great smell. I just expected better quality massage.
The crowd during our stay at RP was 40 and over which we expected based on reviews and so it's laid back and relaxed in evenings. This quietness was not a con for us, we enjoyed every minute of our stay a but we may go next door more the next time we stay to get some variety of experiences. Beaches are small but perfect for laying out and reading. We never had any issues finding chairs as some of reported in other reviews.

Cons: Spa massage was overpriced and subpar ( in my opinion), everyone turns in early-so if you are night owls keep this in mind( we honestly got tired pretty early after dinner and drinks so again not an issue for us). The 2 hour drive to and from the airport ( not RP problem at all). The driving there is a bit crazy and I found myself gripping my seat because the drivers weaving in and out and around us and almost hitting head on traffic made me nervous.

Pros: EVERYTHING: STAFF, FOOD, SIZE of resort, SERVICE, FACILITIES.

We hope to return in the near future :))

Room Tip: Rooms on west beach have balconies and may be quieter since they are away from where the peacocks ge...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Elyse H
There are newer reviews for Sandals Royal Plantation

Reviewed June 6, 2014

gorgeous setting and relatively small (much nicer than next door Sandals), but friendly staff and good service ( I especially liked being called My Lady!).
the only negative was the long transfer from Kingston airport.

Room Tip: we were overlooking east beach which is probably quieter except for the noisy peacocks
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DorsetMother
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We just returned from our honeymoon at Sandals Royal Plantation. The resort is beautiful and well kept and the staff is tremendously friendly and helpful. When you get to the airport you will be escorted directly into the Sandals lounge where you can relax and have any drink you want. Our wait was only about 10 minutes before we were leaving for the resort. One "tip", the butler that is at the lounge in the airport will introduce themselves as your butler, however they are not your butler at the resort. They walk you to the van and go back into the airport. The ride to the resort is long, about 2 hours so just be prepared for that. Once you get to the resort it is just beautiful and relaxing. For anyone looking for a loud crazy time, this is not the place for you. What I like very much about this resort, you can go next door to the other Sandals if you want more people and restaurants (the sushi place is awesome) but they cannot come to your resort. For us, the butler service was OK, nothing outstanding. It really depends on who you get. However, everyone is friendly and helpful and we had great meals the whole time. I would certainly recommend to anyone looking for a beautiful location to relax and enjoy good food and of course drinks!

Room Tip: There are a lot of Peacocks that hang around the courtyard and are up very early in the morning. I...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kaku_43
Reviewed June 4, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed every second of our honeymoon here at the Sandals Royal Plantation! From the moment we got off the airplane, Sandals has a very nice lounge area for you to wait in until the bus arrives(which was maybe 30 minutes). It took probably 2 hours on the bus to arrive and the hotel. Everyone there is EXTREMELY friendly and are there for anything you may want/need. The food was incredible. We never had a bad meal. Breakfast was brought and set up at our room every morning. We did figure out that if you didnt want exactly what they were serving that night..they would fix you anything within reason. Everyone went above and beyond during our stay. Their part of the beach is smaller than i had expected but I enjoyed it more that way. Very quiet and laid back atmosphere. No kids running around everywhere. It was mainly full of people either on their honeymoon or anniversary it seemed. Would love to go back again!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Zack L
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We have just returned from the vacation of a lifetime at the Sandals Royal Plantation.
My daughter and her new husband had picked this gem of a resort for a destination wedding that was fit for a King and Queen. I have been to other "super clubs" but the Royal Plantation has set a new bar of excellence. The staff was over the top! It was like they were reading our minds. A smile greeted you at every turn and your every wish was granted.
Special shout outs to Cleon and Biggs our beach butlers and house butlers Hector, Sheril, Shelly and Jermaine! OShane was the master of ceremonies for a wedding that I will forever remember. If I could I would mention every server...they made every meal an excellent experience. Needless to say that we definitely will be back and back soon!
Thank you to all the staff at the Royal Plantation...you have given us the memories of a life time!

2  Thank kevin d
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I'm glad we stayed here in the end! It boiled down between the Ocho Rios resort or the one in Montego Bay and it's safe to say, we picked the right one. I went with my wife and 2 kids and it was something for everyone to enjoy.
I am definitely one for adventure and wanted to explore as soon as I got off the plane (yes, I'm a very large child) but I could barely leave the resort as it had everything you'd expect from a luxurious Jamacian resort.
It was tied between Sandals or Sunset Resorts (who I actually do outside work for) so I made the right decision in the end; will certainly try out new resorts next time or perhaps even a trip to St.Lucia!
www.sunsetresorts.co.uk/

Room Tip: It was a brilliant experience and our room which was situated on the second floor was fantastic! Sur...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Danny G
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We are currently on day 5 of a 7 night stay. We are having such a wonderful time, I have decided to produce my review whilst in situ.

From our arrival at Montego Bay, we have been pampered. The Sandals lounge was a wonderful haven after a nine hour flight from the UK.

We were greeted by Neil, who alongside Kenroy have proved to be very helpful in many ways. All the staff are wonderful but I strongly recommend this team of butlers.

As all of the reviews have stated, the food is wonderful. My husband and I have just dined at Le Papillon and everything was outstanding. I have eaten in Rome, Paris, NYC and many other cities. The food at Le Papillion ranks with the absolute best, the rack of lamb being a standout.

Every member of staff that you encounter, has a welcoming smile. In particular I would like to commend Nikoy, Taniqua, Adrian, Junior, Garnett, Kerome "from the manor pool at Grande Rivera", Alieka, Chad, Jermaine and Oshane.

It's important to note if you do have any issues, point them out whilst still on the property. We had some minor concerns. After being contacted by the hotel manager, Caroline Cousins, our problems were resolved and eventually our expectations were exceeded.

Royal Plantation is truly a special place, where you can unwind amongst some of the finest facilities in the world.

I cannot wait to come back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor and above have great sea views.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Round Hill Hotel & Villas
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!