“Best holiday ever.”

Sandals Royal Plantation
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
“Best holiday ever.”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We are currently on day 5 of a 7 night stay. We are having such a wonderful time, I have decided to produce my review whilst in situ.

From our arrival at Montego Bay, we have been pampered. The Sandals lounge was a wonderful haven after a nine hour flight from the UK.

We were greeted by Neil, who alongside Kenroy have proved to be very helpful in many ways. All the staff are wonderful but I strongly recommend this team of butlers.

As all of the reviews have stated, the food is wonderful. My husband and I have just dined at Le Papillon and everything was outstanding. I have eaten in Rome, Paris, NYC and many other cities. The food at Le Papillion ranks with the absolute best, the rack of lamb being a standout.

Every member of staff that you encounter, has a welcoming smile. In particular I would like to commend Nikoy, Taniqua, Adrian, Junior, Garnett, Kerome "from the manor pool at Grande Rivera", Alieka, Chad, Jermaine and Oshane.

It's important to note if you do have any issues, point them out whilst still on the property. We had some minor concerns. After being contacted by the hotel manager, Caroline Cousins, our problems were resolved and eventually our expectations were exceeded.

Royal Plantation is truly a special place, where you can unwind amongst some of the finest facilities in the world.

I cannot wait to come back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor and above have great sea views.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Angie19751

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (652)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2014

There were 14 of us that were there for our friends renewal of vows and where can I start. Absolutely fantastic holidays, one of our very best, great company, great surroundings and just about everything was fabulous.
The staff were very pleasant and friendly,our butlers Neil and Kenroy were the best especially Kenroy, they couldn't have done any more than they did. Nothing was too much for them, the beach waiters, restaurants especially Natalya were just such nice people and so friendly. The food was excellent in all the restaurants at this resort so there was no point in going elsewhere, best steak in Le Papillion. For a couples holiday this is certainly the place to be.
My only downfall would be the entertainment in the evenings could be better as it ended at 10 and then it would be a sing a long or pianist at the Wobbly Peacock. The bathrooms are abit tired looking and could do with remodernising but other than that, thankyou Royal Plantation for giving us ten days of pure bliss. We really hope to see you all again soon and would certainly recommend this resort to all my friends.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sophie649
Virginia
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Arrival- We came to Sandals Royal Plantation for 3 nights at the latter end of our honeymoon from Sandals Whitehouse. We are a couple in our 20's. The arrival was very smooth and we were greeted with champagne and escorted into the Wobbly Peacock without having to ask (nice touch). The Wobbly Peacock is adorable with a terrific staff and impressive drink list for an all inclusive. My fiance' loved the Caribbean Blue Martini. We were then escorted into our room by our butler Kenroy who had a surprise petal/towel arrangement, bath, cake, and champagne waiting. The bubble bath was so relaxing after three hours of traveling from Sandals Whitehouse.

Room- The room was nice with a large closet, his/her sink and a small bathroom. We booked the 2nd to lowest room category. I noticed we were on the 1st floor of the east wing. I did request west wing high floor, but the view of the shrubbery was kind of pretty and peaceful so I didn't ask to be moved.

Beach- The beach is small, but very pretty. The calm waters make it perfect for swimming and floating with your loved one. We loved the each beach, as it was very secluded and calm. The split beach idea (west/east a nice touch). The beach butlers are awesome.

Food- We loved breakfast every morning at the Terrace. They have a great selection of fresh juices like mango, papaya. They have a buffet, but the maid to order items are fantastic. I am just going to say thankyou to every staff member at the Terrace and Wobbly. They are all awesome. The French restaurant was so romantic, elegant and special. This is probably the fanciest place I have eaten and I visit nice restaurants at home often. Try the Cream Brulee!
We enjoyed lunch at the Royal Grill. The coconut shrimp was great. We ate next door twice at Valentino's and Kimono's (also both great). Tea time at 4pm was awesome too.

Nightlife/Entertainment- This resort is very quiet during the day and at night. One night they had a great steel drum band and fire eaters, balance act, and limbo all in the same night. This is more of what I would have liked to have seen (dual acts) on the other nights! Daytime activities here and there would be another suggestion. One night there was a singer, her voice was pretty, but she ended pretty early. Most guests are in bed by 10pm. The sun was getting to us so we were tired by then sometimes too. I want to note that the shuttle to/from Grande ends at 10:30, so not sure what people who love to stay out till 2 am did. The wobbly was open till then I guess. One night I wanted to swim in the pool late, but with the elegance of this place, I almost felt weird walking by in a swim suit cover when guests were all in evening gowns so I decided against it.

Butlers- We had Neil and Kenroy. They seem to love their job and are a great team. I loved their jokes about one another. Both were terrific. Kenroy planned both surprises for us on our first night and last night. The last night I asked for something romantic to surprise my husband on our last night at Sandals. Kenroy escorted us to Valentino's, got us right in and even began pouring us wine. When we came back to the room, he had music playing on the radio, chocolates, an electric candle and rose petals saying I love you for my husband. He was very surprised. Kenroy also saw us off the next day as did all the butlers for other guests. Thanks Kenroy for making our honeymoon special!

Overall:
This resort is so elegant, the food is amazing, staff wonderful. However at times, it was a little too quiet for me being in my 20's. It was nice to go over to Grande, but the shuttle service stopped at 10 pm from Royal and that resort was very crowded. I was surprised to see other young couples at Royal based on the reviews I read. We talked with some great people. I would definitely return, maybe when we are a little older, and we would ask for Kenroy again if he were still there! Another thing that might prevent us from returning is the price for two people starting out, we might look into visiting some of the other Sandals at the luxury level before splurging again for Royal since it's all butler and prices start there. We might return for a special occasion like a future anniversary with my husband.

Thank you to the amazing staff for making our honeymoon memorable.

Room Tip: East Beach is actually very nice and peaceful. 1st floor isn't bad you don't get the views o...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank moorec4
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Royal Plantation April 24 - May 1, 2014 and loved our stay!

First a few comments about logistics and the resort -
Before you go, you will get promo messages offering Club Mobay for $30/pp. DO IT! We did not purchase this and regretted it due to the number of flights that landed around the same time as us. There might have been around 1,000 trying to get through immigration at that time and the expedited processing would have been well worth it.

Once we finally made it through immigration we made our way to the Sandals airport lobby - There staff greeted us outside the lobby and helped us tag our bags then sent us inside where we were cooled by the air conditioned area and refreshed by the self serve Red Stripe on tap and champagne in the fridge.

After a few moments, not long at all, our airport transfer arrived and we made our way to RP. Our transfer driver, Renford, was super nice and very chatty. He made us feel safe and comfortable on the 1.5hr drive to Ocho Rios. He pointed out a few landmarks and pulled over so we could take pictures. You MAY tip your transfer driver and we did.

Once at the RP we were greeted by the front desk staff and showed to the lobby waiting area where we were served more chilled champagne. Soon our butler Audell met us in the lobby and began giving us the grand tour. I'll admit, the tour at first was a bit much to take in - but it was good to be shown from the first day where everything was and hours which certain spots were open.

The RP does have a lot of stairs. In fact, I'm not sure how handicapped equipped it is. But the terrace overlooks an amazing ocean view, great for panoramic shots. The ocean water really is as blue as in the brochures and the sand really is as white and soft as you've heard. The Royal Plantation is heaven on earth!

As a guest at RP you have the option to visit the Grande Riveria next door. My husband and I did venture over there on 3 occassions: lunch, a catamaron excursion and dinner one evening. Before our trip we anticipated that we would want to spend a lot of time over there because of the size and how fun we thought it would be. Let me tell you that each time we went over there we couldn't wait to RUN back to the RP. The staff at the Grande Riveria was nice, but the staff at the RP really got to know us.

So let's talk about the staff!
THE STAFF!! We loved them and miss them as much as, if not more than, paradise itself! Our butlers Audell and Tafari made sure that we had an alarm clock that was compatible with my iPhone 5 - and they did this without us even asking! They made all of our dinner reservations for us and personally escorted us to the Grande Riveria when we had reservations at the resort next door (good thing they did - GR is huge and we might not have found our own way). You can tip butlers.

The beach butler, Adrian learned our drink preferences and kept us with fresh drinks all day long. You can tip the beach butler.

We spent many nights in the Wobbly Peacock though. And this is where we met our friends - the Bartenders and Servers!
They were nice to chat with and taught us various Patois phrases. Andre, Iyesha, Necorian and Junior really treated us right. Each bartender has their own signature drink - try them all!

But Richard Brown went out of his way more than one time for us. On our first night at the RP Richard was serving. I think he could tell we wanted to explore the resort a little so he asked us what we were drinking and told us he'd bring it to us. We tried to decline his gracious offer because we wanted to walk along the beach, and as I mentioned there are a lot of stairs - the beach was just going to be too far away from Richard's station. But, Richard insisted and told my husband he would find us. About 5 minutes later as we're walking along the west beach we see a figure running down the beach with a beer bottle in hand. It was Richard!!!! We were blown away that he actually found us and followed through with this request.

On another occassion my husband was inquiring about Dragon Stout, which is a Jamaican beer that isn't internationally known so it isn't stocked at the RP. Richard told my husband that he was about to go on lunch at 5pm so he would get my husband a bottle and bring it to our room. We gave him our room number and about 30 minutes later our BEST FRIEND Richard knocked on our door with a Dragon Stout in hand for my hubby! He must have paid for it out of his own pocket because we didn't give him any money (you aren't allowed to tip the staff - with the exception of your butlers and the beach butlers - we double checked after this!). We cannot say enough fabulous things about Richard - he deserved a TIP and more for the effort he put in to making us feel like royalty.

I'm attaching a picture of Richard - tell him T & C say hi!

There are so many good words to share about the Royal Plantation and the staff. We will be back for certain!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Tia_Craig
Valdosta, Georgia
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon in October, and couldn't bring ourselves to book anywhere else for our anniversary trip! No reason to mess with perfection. The food was on point, FAR superior to Grande next door. Our butlers were amazingly accommodating. We also had a GREAT driver from the airport to the resort who took us to fun little places along the way and taught us so much about the country.

Room Tip: No matter what room level you get, you're going to have a blast. Rooms are for napping, not for...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jadashlyn
Enterprise, Alabama
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My husband and I got married here in December 2013. We chose this resort because we wanted an amazing wedding backdrop along with a wonderful honeymoon combined.

We landed in Montego Bay and I was worried about our luggage and transportation because we were stuck behind a huge line of British nationals in the immigration line. We waited in line about 2 hours to have our passports stamped, found our luggage safe in baggage claim and proceeded to the Sandals Lounge.

The ride to Royal Plantation was about 90 minutes and we were the only couple with the driver. He offered to stop at any of the towns along the way if we wished to grab a drink or shop. We arrived at the resort in the early evening and met Fiona our Butler who got us settled in right away. Fiona was amazing! Anything that we wanted or needed she was right there to help.

We were booked in an Orchid Oceanview suite which was wonderful. The mini-fridge was fully stocked with beer, wine and mixers. My husband is a Diet Coke fanatic and Fiona removed some of the beverages that we didn't like and replaced them all with Diet Coke when we were at dinner. The best part about our room was the great view of the ocean front and everything was available within steps of our door.

We had dinner at the Terrace restaurant and it was beautiful and elegant. We stopped at the Peacock Pub for a nightcap before returning to our room. My husband and I are huge fans of Big Bang Theory and we were elated to see that the TV had about 50 U.S. stations including TBS. Sadly yes, leave it to my husband to fly 2,000 miles and be footsteps away from the most beautiful ocean in the world, and he wants to lay on the bed and watch TV and mess around on the free WiFi.

The following morning, we returned to the Terrace for the most fantastic breakfast ever! The layout of fruit and breakfast choices on the buffet was amazing. My husband and I made it a point to try at least half of the breakfast menu and were not disappointed! The Brie, Apple and Prosciutto is worth going back to the resort alone. To top the morning off, we got to dine with live peacocks standing right beside our table. They were so pretty and entertaining to watch.

After breakfast, we met our wedding planner, Naomi who took all of my wishes and made them a reality. She made sure everything was taken care of and I didn't have to worry about anything at all. I was able to sit back and enjoy everything about being bride.

I got to spend most of the day in the spa to have a pre-wedding test run of hair, makeup and nails and did not get a chance for lunch. I met my husband at the Pub for a late afternoon snack. They have a wonderful bar menu and I chose the Scotch Eggs and Chili. The chili with nacho chips was the best chili I have ever eaten! It was my first time eating a Scotch Egg and I enjoyed it thoroughly!

Wednesday was wedding day. My past experience with weddings has been one with stress, worry and fighting. My Sandals wedding was the complete opposite. We got married at 11 in the morning so that we could "get it over with" and my husband didn't have to sit around in a suit all day. He woke up at 10 AM, showered and was in place at 10:55. It was beautiful and stress-free for both of us. We got to have our wedding dinner at La Papillion, the French Restaurant where the chef selected a special wedding menu for us due to my allergies and my husband's picky pallet. Dinner was wonderful and the conversation with everyone around us was enjoyable as well.

One of the conversations was with an older couple whom the staff knew by name. Come to find out that it was their 16th time at a Sandals property and 9th time at the Royal Plantation. The cool part about R.P. is that right next door is the Sandals Grand Riviera and that you can hop the shuttle to visit the restaurants at their property through the Exchange program. The older gentleman said that a lot of the Sandals properties are very big and one has to walk quite a distance to get to certain amenities. He said that R.P. is their favorite because it is quiet and that the entire resort has the best staff.

The next night, we went over to the Riveria for dinner. It was a beautiful property, but I understood what the older gentleman was talking about. I was in heels and it was a pretty long walk to Valentinos. Mama Fiona (that's what I called her because of the great care she gave us) made our reservation and saw us to the restaurant, seated us and poured our drinks. She then left us in Brittany's care and told us to call her when we were ready to ride back to the R.P. After a delicious meal, we called and had the shuttle pick us up. Fiona wasn't in the shuttle, but she called shortly after we got back to the property to make sure that we made it back ok. Just like a good mom. :)

The rest of the week was spent enjoying the beach toys on the property, having lunch at the Royal Grill and going on excursions that were offered.

The one reason why we chose the Royal Plantation was the Butler Suites, the second reason was because R.P. offered the ATV excursion through the jungle and zip-lining through the rainforest. Both of those events were outstanding. At the end of the ATV excursion, the guides took us to a small 15 foot cliff where we could jump into the warm ocean and wash off all of the mud. What a great time! I could have spent 4 more hours doing that adventure!

I was truly sad on the day that we had to return to the states. We have talked about doing an anniversary trip every year to that resort. My husband wants to see what else Sandals has to offer, but the cost of a butler suite at the other properties is so much more expensive. Royal Plantation is a hidden gem in the Sandals family and will be my top vacation choice again this year.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kasey C
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Plantation, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Hello Kasey,

Thank you for sharing the amazing Weddingmoon experience you had at Sandals Royal Plantation! We are thrilled to hear that our resort provided the perfect romantic setting for your very special day and that it was stress-free for you! Your photos perfectly captured all the love of that day. We wish you both the very best and cannot wait to welcome you back in the near future!
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The experience was heavenly. It is a "must go". The service was amazing from we entered the hotel until we left it. The wine that awaited us in our rooms was greatly appreciated and welcoming. I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tygerpuff
Hello and thank you for your review!

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Sandals Royal Plantation and that you enjoyed every moment of your vacation! That is exactly the kind of excellent feedback we love to hear and it was a pleasure creating such a memorable experience for you.
We cannot wait to welcome you back for another stellar vacation in the near future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocho Rios
Round Hill Hotel & Villas
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!