“I found paradise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Cork, Ireland
“I found paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

I can't believe it's taken me so long to write this review.

We were at the resort in December 2013 for our honeymoon, and we're still afflicted by major post holiday blues!

Were to begin....

THE PROPERTY: The pictures on the Sandals website tell you the whole story. The grounds are perfectly manicured, the rooms are just as lovely as they look on the photographs. If you think the beach is too small from the pictures, it's probably going to be too small in person. The beach is the "worst" thing about the resort, as it doesn't allow for very long walks. It is however wonderfully maintained, clean and, of course, there's the ocean.
Note: the east beach is the beach where smoking is allowed. We are not smokers, but we spent most of the week at the east beach because it was quieter.

The resort does NOT cater to the party crowd: if, however, you are interested in partying but also want to partake of of exclusivity of the resort, you can use the shuttle bus to Grande Riviera (about 5 minutes). I can't review the entertainment there as I am not a party person, but I thought I put this in considering the amount of people that complained about the "old" vibe of the resort. I'm in my early 30s and I was perfectly happy to laze in the sun with a book and a drink, so it depends on people's definition of "old".

THE ROOM: after much debating, my husband and I picked the lowest category room. I was very happy with it as it met my expectations in every way. You don't "need" the better room: these are all suites. If you can splurge, by all means, get one of the rooms with the terrace, they looked wonderful. We were in one of the rooms closest to the common areas, but there wasn't much noise after 10pm.

THE BUTLERS: Our butlers were Chad and Ashworth. To say they were wonderful is an absolute approximation and it doesn't do these professionals any justice. We were treated like royalty from start to finish. They tried to anticipate our every need and never fell short of expectations.
From the baths and the snacks, to the homemade cold remedy (yep, I had a cold in the Caribbean...lucky me!) and the pizza and wine on the beach, they upgraded our holiday from wonderful to amazing.

FOOD: The food is incredible. That's all you really need to know. They will cater to any and all your needs. Try to visit the sister property as well, the food quality doesn't seem to drop. Don't worry about "all inclusive quality" food. This is another level. Think 5 star dining on tap. Enjoy the french fine dining, the buffets, the incredibly delicious breakfast, and don't leave before having tried a coconut shrimp!

EXTRAS: Our friends and family purchased us wedding gifts on the Sandals gift registries, so we had credit for extras.

This is how we used them:

SPA: very, very good spa. If only they didn't push for sales of products so much...put me off a bit.
CANDLELIGHT DINNER: a wonderful experience. We dined on the pier, served by a wonderfully polite and funny gentleman whose name I forgot. The 5 course menu was chosen by us from the sample menu our butlers gave us, and everything was 5 star. If you have something to celebrate with a loved one, do this: you will remember it for a lifetime.
PICNIC AT MAHOE: This was incredible. A guided, private tour of the wonderful tropical gardens, and a luxury picnic served to us on a clifftop area, white cloth table and all. Magical.

NEGATIVES: Few and far between.

- Some mix-ups with restaurant reservations prevented us from trying two of the restaurants we set out to dine at. I blame this on poor communication between resorts and changing closing schedules for restaurants. We gave our butlers a list of the restaurants we wanted to try as soon as we arrived at the resort, and we expected our reservations to go through as planned. Our butlers couldn't have been more apologetic and it definitely didn't ruin our holiday, but this caliber of resort needs to plan better for such things.

-The Afternoon tea could be much, much improved. More tea choices would be a start, and more pastries/sandwiches as well.

-The pool is very small, which is a shame when the beach is also quite small.

Please note that I am 100% nit-picking here, and I am doing it considering the price category and the fact that you're expecting a perfect, 100% hassle free holiday.

I can't wait to go back to Sandals, and I think Royal Plantation spoiled me for life regarding butler service. But I don't think that's a negative:)

Room Tip: All ocean facing, all beautifully appointed. West wing room are further from the entertainment.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Teliviel
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Plantation, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
It brings us great joy to know that you had an outstanding stay at Sandals Royal Plantation. We truly do our best to ensure that we meet the needs of each guest. We want to not only exceed expectations but also to create a lifetime of amazing memories. Thank you so much for your review.

We hope to welcome you back soon for another awesome stay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
  • Korean first
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

My wife and I booked a week at the Royal Plantation for our honeymoon after researching several all-inclusive options in the Carribean, both Sandals-branded and non-Sandals. The Royal Plantation came up repeatedly in our searches for the best all-inclusives in the Caribbean, and we can now see why! From the moment we stepped foot past customs at Montego Bay's airport, we were taken care of every step of the way. Our room was exactly what we expected with a beautiful view of the water. Our butlers were incredibly helpful and always looking for ways to make our vacation memorable. The biggest thing for us though was the quality of the food we had. Every meal was delicious and expertly prepared (especially the fish - they know how to cook it properly!!!).

The resort itself was smaller and fairly quiet most of time (which is what we were looking for). If you're looking for a more party atmosphere, check out the other Sandals next door. We had access to the bigger one for other dining options. The ages of the guests ranged from couples in their late 20's to 70's.

We were VERY pleased with our stay at the Royal Plantation and can't wait to go back!

4 Thank Svenicus
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Plantation, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Thank you for your review of Sandals Royal Plantation. We're so glad to read that you had such an amazing stay with us. We always want to ensure that our guests have a romantic and relaxing vacation and I'm glad we accomplished that goal during your stay.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another great stay.
toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

This was our second stay at Sandals Royal Plantation, and definitely not our last!!
We love this resort because of its personal feel and love the fact that the staff treats you like family. Many of the staff even remembered us from our last stay even though it was 2 years ago. Every single staff member is friendly and they really seem to enjoy their jobs and want to make sure you are happy. Special shout outs to Romaine, Shanneil, Richard and Alieka, Their service goes above the call of duty and made our vacation extra fun. They are valuable assets to the resort. Also thanks to the beach staff and especially Chad for making sure we were comfortable on the beach each day. He even taught my husband the proper method of putting the towel on the lounger, although never as good as he did it!

We like the small size of the resort with only just over 70 rooms you can expect more personal service than you get at larger resorts and also a much quieter atmosphere. Our butlers Marvin and Orayne were fabulous, checking on us several times a day to make sure we had everything we needed. Without us asking they even arranged for us to have a nice upgrade to a balcony suite during our second week. We loved the balcony room, but even though we normally prefer a balcony I find the French balcony is fine for us. Every room has an ocean view regardless of room category and for us that is the most important part. Last visit we had Jermaine as our butler, and even though he was not our butler this time, he always went out of his way to say Hi and make sure we were enjoying ourselves.

We had several opportunities to meet Caroline, the interim gm of the resort, and she was very personable and genuinely concerned that your vacation is outstanding. .
Beach service was as usual fantastic, Cleon and Adrian do a great job of making sure you always have a drink in hand plus they are tons of fun!!!

Food was excellent, never a bad meal. If you want something that is not on the menu just ask, we saw lots of people doing that and it was never a problem. Because we were there for 2 weeks we did go to SGR for a couple of meals. One at Kelly's Dockside and one at Neptunes on the beach. If you are only there for a week I would not recommend going there because although we liked both meals at SGR the food is so much better at SRP. If you do venture over, your butlers will take you over and set you up at a table and get your first drink. When you are ready to come back just use your butler phone and the shuttle will come for you. Drinks were great, if they don't have something you like just ask, chances are the next day it will be there.

We enjoyed the entertainment each night, especially Roja. OShayne and Jason, the entertainment hosts, always get the party going. The entertainment finishes at 10pm, which works for us because we are usually tired at the end of day. During the day there is activities such as kayaking and paddle boarding. You can also do the glass bottom boat or have one of the guys take you on the Hobie Cats, or even take one on your own. The butlers can also arrange off site tours if you wish.

The grounds are beautiful and lush. The staff does an exceptional job of keeping everything clean. While we were there no one had any problem getting a place on the beach at any time of day and the beach staff kept the beach clean and raked all day.

In conclusion, if you like a nice quiet vacation with emphasis on good food and exceptional service you can`t not go wrong with this resort. If you like swim ups, a party atmosphere and non stop activities this resort might not work for you. I met many people that have been back many, many times and I know my husband and I will be. Can`t wait till next year!!!

4 Thank sallygoes2mx
It's wonderful to read that you had another great vacation with us at Sandals Royal Plantation. We're happy that you were pleased with our high standard of service and delicious food. Thank you for your review.

We can't wait to welcome you back for more fantastic memories!
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

We just returned from a 3/29-4/5/2014 trip to Sandals Royal Plantation. It was our first trip to this particular Sandals resort (7th Sandals trip overall). I had been following the reviews for this resort for a while, and I jumped at the chance to go when Sandals was running the triple-point SSG bonus back last fall. We booked this trip with our regular travel agent at Dream Makers Vacation services (Michael McHugh).

First things first… This resort is definitely not a “typical” Sandals resort. It is quite small—only 74 rooms. Because of its compact size, some of the on-site amenities aren’t as extensive as they are at other Sandals resorts. The beaches are very small and not connected, and the pool only had room for ~12 loungers with no swim-up bar. We knew this going in, so it wasn’t a problem or unexpected. We just claimed 2 loungers on the West beach pier and spent our days at the beach instead of the pool. We did, however, miss taking long walks on the beach, and that would be the one “negative” that we experienced on this trip. That said, what this resort lacked in size, it more than made up for in the quantity and quality of service. The employees here are the heart and soul of the operation, and it shows. The attention we received from everyone (hotel manager, butlers, restaurant workers and bartenders, beach butlers) far exceeded anything we’ve previously experienced at any other Sandals resort and is just one other feature that makes this resort very unique.

Demographics
Because of the nature of this resort (smaller property, not as much action, higher service level—and thus, higher price), the guests at this resort seemed a bit more mature than other Sandals properties that we have visited. I am 40, my husband 41, and we were definitely some of the youngest people at Royal Plantation. I’d say the average age of the guests when we were there was late 40s to mid-60s. It wasn’t a problem for us, as everyone was so nice and we had fun socializing with several couples at different stages in life from us. But, just a warning: As a young 20-something couple, this might not be the place for you unless you are looking for ultimate quiet and relaxation and don’t mind hanging with a little older crowd.

Room
We upgraded to a Verandah suite after our initial booking when one became available for the week we were scheduled to be there. We were very glad that we opted for the larger room, because it gave us an addition living space in which to hang out. The verandah itself was fabulous—2 loungers, 2 chairs and a small table, the dining table and the mini bar. Very spacious and multi-purpose. We used the verandah every day for a variety of activities: We had snacks, several room service breakfasts, and dinner one night on the balcony; We sat outside every afternoon reading or playing games, just enjoying the warm Caribbean air; Our room was on the 2nd floor (terrace level), so we also enjoyed hanging out on the verandah in the evenings to watch/listen to the evening entertainment in comfort rather than staying dressed up. Totally satisfied with this room, and I would definitely book it again.

Grounds
Despite the compact size of the resort, the grounds were beautiful and lush and quite striking. The foliage was quite mature and helped the buildings to blend into the setting. The pool deck and terrace areas felt like they were suspended on a cliff overlooking the beautiful ocean. The beaches and pool were quite small, but perfectly in proportion to the resort. We just wish the 2 beaches had been connected by a sandy beach for better walks.

Dining
I am typically hesitant to book resorts with limited dining options, but it was definitely not a problem here. Every meal we had was great. The breakfast and lunch buffets at the Terrace were limited (with only 150 guests, there’s no need for a large offering), but satisfactory. There were also menus from which we could order a la carte. Hubs ordered the French Toast all but one morning, while I tended to stick to the buffet and the egg station. We never ordered off the lunch menu at the Terrace. The Royal Grill offered seaside dining off a menu for lunch/afternoon snacks every day and dinner on 5 nights (it was closed the night of the returning guest dinner (Tuesday) and Jamaica night (Friday)). Food there was great. We typically ate fish for lunch, with a salad or some coconut shrimp (some of the biggest I’ve ever seen), and we had the surf and turf for dinner twice (once with lobster, the other time with shrimp). This was the first time in a Caribbean resort where a filet actually looked like a filet—a thicker cut of meat that was tender and cooked perfectly. Le Papillon is the gourmet French restaurant, and we were pleased with both meals we ate there as well. Great service, wonderful atmosphere (plus air conditioning inside!). Be sure to get the warm chocolate pudding, which is really like a chocolate lava cake. Yum! And, if you request an outside table at Le Pap for Jamaica night, you can watch the entertainment from your table. We ate once at the Terrace restaurant, which was also good. We attended the returning guest dinner, which we always enjoy as a way to meet other people. Food was great, and we had the opportunity to sit with the hotel manager, Caroline, who is truly a wonderful person. We ventured next door to SGR for dinner one night at Kelly’s Dockside. The atmosphere and ambiance was great, but food was marginal and my husband commented that the servers there weren’t as friendly as the staff at SRP. We made it to the Peacock (Pub) for afternoon snacks on 2 days, but didn’t eat an official meal there.

Butlers
Our two butlers, Tafari and Audell, were outstanding. We’ve had butler service at 2 other Sandals resorts, but these guys really went above and beyond anything we’ve experienced in the past. Now… I wouldn’t really consider us to be “butler people”, in that we’re pretty independent when travelling, so they checked in on us far more than we initiated contact with them. In that regard, they tracked us down each day to check in on us (often times, on multiple occasions every day), brought snacks to the room on 2 afternoons, left treats for us, and drew baths for us on multiple days (both in the afternoon and in the evening). We also opted for in-room dining from the Royal Grille on one night when I wasn’t feeling well, and Audell made the evening perfect for us. We truly felt pampered by our room butlers on this trip.

There are also the 2 beach butlers, Adrian and Cleon, who deserve a mention. If the staff is the heart of the resort, these guys are the heart of the beach. They were always smiling and joking around, and checked on the beach every 20-30 minutes (on the West beach, at least. We never made it to the East beach), and up at the pool at least 2x an hour. They were on the beach from 10am to 6pm every day.

Spa
We visited the spa twice on this trip. Hubs wanted to spend a bit of time out of the sun, so we took advantage of our 2 free 30min massages (one through our booking and one from our SSG benefits) by combining them into a 1hr couples massage on one day, then coming back on another day for additional services. I had a wrap, hubs had a men’s facial. Both services were nice, although a bit pricey (almost 2x what we would have paid for a similar service at home). But hey… it was vacation!

Even problems weren’t an issue on this trip…
We did have a few maintenance issues in our bathroom during our stay, although on a Caribbean vacation this isn’t entirely unexpected (and none of the issues would have ruined our trip in any way had they not been immediately addressed). Unlike our last Sandals experience, where service was completely absent, when we informed the front desk of our problems (leak in the ceiling, problem with bathroom A/C), the issues were dealt with in a timely fashion, and management checked in with us afterward to make sure everything had been resolved. We even received a beautiful flower arrangement in apology. They offered to compensate us in other ways as well, but we declined.

Overall, this was a wonderful, relaxing get away for us. The resort met or exceeded every one of our expectations. The only negative for us was the small size of the beaches (no long beach walks), but again, we knew that going in, so won't hold that against the resort. If you are looking for a quiet, romantic, upscale, service-focused, boutique resort, this might be the place for you!

Room Tip: Rooms in the West wing overlook the Terrace (best views from rooms x55-x60 on the 2nd and 3rd floors...
2 Thank klhoek

We hope to welcome you back soon for another awesome stay!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

We visited for the second time at the beginning of April 2014. Lovely resort, quiet and classy, great Butlers and very friendly staff. The food is 5 star in all restaurents. Butlers Shelly and Jermain are simply the best anticipating your every wish. Unfortunately I got ill the 3rd day and Sheena made an apointment for the Doctor and stayed with us until I reveived treatment. Beach Butlers Andrian and Cleon are personable very friendly and serve your every need. We ended the week with Caroline the acting GM at lunch and having met her I know why this resort is such a credit to the Sandals franchise. By the way this is our 45 trip away and our 16th to Sandals. We will be back next year. Treat yourself and try this resort you will not be dissapointed.

P.S tremendous service also provided by Tanquia, Sanjay, Stephen And Larkland.

2 Thank Wayne S
Thank you so much for your review. We're thrilled to read that your second stay at Sandals Royal Plantation was nothing short of amazing. We look forward to welcoming you back for more wonderful experiences in the future.
Melita, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

We just returned from a week at the Sandals Royal Plantation. It was our favourite holiday by far! The staff is fantastic and treated us like family. We also enjoyed the food and the rooms were very comfortable and spacious. Our Butlers Niel and Kenroy were excellent, ensuring all our needs were taken care of. Rhona and Aretha took excellent care of us at the Red Lane Spa and all the staff at the Peacock Pub ensured our glasses were never empty. We will never forget Q, Richard, Orlando, Allex, Stephen, and little Natalia who was always singing! The beach staff was also great, taking us sailing, snorkelling and touring on the glass bottom boat. They took precautions to ensure we had a safe and enjoyable experience on all our excursions. The beach butlers were great, ensuring we had whatever we needed to get through a hot sunny day. We enjoyed every meal, whether it was at the Terrace, Beach Grill (the coconut shrimp is particularly fabulous!) Peacock Pub or The Papillon. Osheane made sure there was music and entertainment in the evenings and got the group moving even though we were tired from the day. Afternoon tea on the Terrace was also a nice break from the sun and a great snack. The housekeeping staff were also very professional and attentive, our rooms were always clean and comfortable. The personalized service is second to none at this resort and the staff really have fun together, which enhances the experience.

We were also very impressed that majority if the guests were on their second or third visit to the resort. This says a lot about the staff and accommodations.

Room Tip: This is a small resort with only 74 rooms which allows you to get to know the other guests. Most ro...
1 Thank Melanie R
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Plantation, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at Sandals Royal Plantation. We always want to ensure that our guests have wonderful experiences with us and it seems during your stay we accomplished our goal. Thank you for your review.

We look forward to welcoming you all back soon!
East Troy, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

My wife and I have been in Jamaica 18 times before but have never stayed at the Royal Plantation. What a mistake we made in the past. Our butlers Chadworth and Ashpole were extremely gracious and helpful. Chadworth even delivered hot juicy patties from town after hearing my wife say how much she liked them. Often there would and appetizer waiting for us when we returned to our room before dinner. They even decorated our room using robes, rolled up towels and freshly picked flowers. That picture got a lot of comment from friends after it was posted on face book. The food was very good at every restaurant and we enjoyed every meal. All of the staff from the grounds keepers to the General Manager were very friendly and most greeted us by name by the second day. Called our travel agent when we got home to book next year.

Room Tip: If there is a dish you would like that is not on the menu, talk to the chefs about making it for you...
4 Thank Michael O

We can't wait to welcome you back next year for another awesome stay!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocho Rios
Half Moon
Half Moon
#3 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,988 reviews

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!