“Impressive. Can't Wait to Return!!”

Sandals Royal Plantation
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Rochester, New York
“Impressive. Can't Wait to Return!!”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Just returned from our Honeymoon at Sandals Royal Plantation and figured I'd take a break from researching when we can pull off our next visit and write a review. From when got off the plane in Jamaica to the time we left, Sandals service was impressive.

We arrived in Montego Bay Airport, and after doing the whole immigration/customs thing, we went right into the Sandals airport suite where a Butler greeted us and served us some Champagne, which really hit the spot. We hung out there for about a half hour or so, before our transportation was ready to take us to Ocho Rios, which wasn't a bad ride at all. A little over an hour, but it was interesting to take everything in along the way. Driver was very nice. Once we arrived at the resort, we were greeted by a friendly staff and 2 more glasses of champagne. We hung out for a few minutes and our butler came to bring our luggage to our room.

Once in our room, he offered to unpack for us, which we declined, but was a very cool gesture. He could tell we had had a pretty long day already, so he gave us a quick rundown of the nights activities, and said he'd give us the full tour the next day, which we appreciated. I'll admit, I didn't know what to expect from having a Butler, but it was a really great experience. Our Butler's Neil & Kenroy were perfect. Never pushy or intrusive, always answering our calls, very informative and professional.

I won't go into a daily rundown of our entire trip, but each day seemed to get better & better. We were impressed when we arrived, and impressed when we left (Maybe a little depressed too, having to return to freezing cold NY). The food was excellent. They have a little bit of everything - Jamaican, American, From Surf & Turf to wraps & burgers - all of which hit the spot. Portion sizes were perfect. Always cleared my plate, but never left feeling hungry.

The staff was very friendly. That might be the biggest thing I took away from the trip, just how incredibly nice & genuine everyone was. The maids, the maintenance, the hostesses & servers, the butlers, the bartenders, and the managers & staff, always were pleasant.

Our room was very nice. Comfortable bedding, Amazing views of the beach/ocean. Included iPod/iPhone docks for charging our phones. Bathroom had a tile shower and Jacuzzi tub as well. Ample closet size. More than enough room for a couple to enjoy. Mini bar was always stocked with Soda, Water, Juices, ice. We only used Room Service once, but it was very nice. Feeling like breakfast in bed or a late night snack? Just pick up the phone.

I could go on and on. Perfect place for whatever excuse you can use to get away. For us, it made for an amazing honeymoon. Romantic, Relaxing, Enjoyable. If you want to be a beach bum and relax for a week, or if you want to throw in some adventure and check out the area, this is an ideal spot. We always felt safe, never a concern in that aspect. This was our first trip internationally, as well as our first the Jamaica, and we have no desire to look into trying another resort. We're sold on the Royal Plantation. It's not huge, which we loved. You get to know people, and it's a very relaxed atmosphere.

A few tips that we have to offer:

-Get up fairly early if you want to reserve your spot on the beaches. There is an East & West beach. Both are very nice, but the chairs to people ratio is not 1:1 - Therefore, normally before 8AM, you should head down to the beach and put something on the chairs you want. If you see chairs with a towel, a water bottle, a magazine, pretty much anything on them already, that means they're reserved. We never had our butler's reserve chairs for us, but I've read that you can. But to assure you get the chairs you want, get your butt out of bed and scope it out yourself. :)

-Make reservations (at least 1 night) for Le Papillon restaurant, which is located upstairs at the resort. Beautiful room, wonderful food. Piano player was there during our dinner and it was a really nice touch. He played the song my wife walked down the aisle to during our wedding (A thousand Years) and it was just awesome. We only ate their once, but next time we will get their at least twice. I've also heard great things about the hot pudding dessert, but we ordered the Mousse and crème brulee which were very yummy.

-If you like a little adventure, check out the Blue Hole while you're in Ocho Rios. Just an incredible place. Some hiking & swimming is involved, but it's well worth the trip.

Do yourself a favor and put it on your bucket list. Treat yourself to a week (or more) of tranquility. You won't regret it. We just got back and we're already trying to figure out when we can return.

Before I sign off, I have to give a few shout outs to some staff members :)

Neil & Kenroy, our butlers. Truly made us feel special during our entire stay. Genuinely pleasant people, who know how to impress. And if you want to feel good about yourself, play Neil in billiards :)

Andre (Franky) & Garnet (Papa Smurf), Bartenders. Always on their game. Knew what we wanted before we did. And kept the drinks coming. Great guys, who know how to have fun & make some great drinks.

Romaine, one of our servers. From the first time I had met him, I could just tell he was a good dude. He Hustled, he smiled, he was funny. Something about him just stood out about him. He is a really talented dude with a great personality. One night we had planned a candlelight dinner on the pier and when I realized he was our server, it made our night just that much more special.

Honestly, everyone that works there deserves a shout out. They all were just a delight to encounter. After only being there for a week, you feel like you've gained a bunch of friends. We miss them all already, and we look forward to seeing them all again soon!

NO WORRIES MON!

5 Thank Lee2340
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Plantation, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
We're so excited to hear that we had the chance to make your honeymoon the perfect experience. At Sandals Royal Plantation, creating luxurious experiences for Two People in Love is our top priority. I'm so glad our staff made sure you enjoyed your stay in paradise.

We can't wait to 'wow' you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (653)
  • Korean first
Plano, Texas
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Just returned from our vacation 2/16/14 - 2/22/14. You forget just how beautiful and elegant this resort is. Fabulous food and service. Our Butlers Sean and Fiona were great - Beach Butler Adrian as fabulous, as usual. The Captain and Crew on the Island Routes "Red Locks" Catamaran remembered us from 2 yeas ago. The Duns River boat tour is a must. This is our third trip to Royal and will not be our last. There is no reason to go anywhere else in Jamaica - the Sandals beach club is next door if you want more excitement, but the food and service is not up to the Royal Plantation standard. Purchased the Mobay Club passes both ways for the airport and would highly recommend being expedited thru customs and security. Well worth the cost.
This resort is as beautiful as their web photos!! The staff is happy and helpful - and they remember you from year to year.
MK Travel out of Irving, Texas always does a wonderful job with great attention to detail.

Room Tip: Be ready for a 90 minute ride from the airport in Montego Bay to Ocho Rios.
1 Thank Feline2014
We're so happy that you had such an amazing vacation with us. It seems like you enjoyed every minute of your stay at Sandal Royal Plantation and that is exactly the kind of excellent feedback we love to hear. Thank you for your review!

We look forward to another stellar experience with you in the near future!
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2014

My wife and I just returned home yesterday from our 2nd stay at SRP. We were there last year at this same time.

There really isn't any need to look at other resorts. This place exceeded our expectations, yet again. Much of the same staff are still there - Cleon and Adrian on the beach, Jason and O'Shane as the entertainment and the usual butlers you see around the resort. We had Hector and Sherrill this year as our butlers and they were outstanding. On our second night, my wife was sick and they tended to her until she was better the next day, bringing her Pepto Bismol and ginger tea.

The bar staff was new to us but were just as great as Sean was last year (who is now a Butler). By day two they remembered our names and what we liked to drink.

I mentioned this in my first review last year, and I'll say it again - this is a small, quiet and intimate resort. We saw many of the same faces as last year. It really does fell like you are coming home.

If you are looking this resort for the first time and aren't sure what to think about the butler service, remember that no request is too big or small. During our last day, my wife asked our butler for some lobster for lunch.. He indicated it would be difficult given that they don't normally have lobster tail until dinner. I wish I had taken a picture of what she got because it was one of the biggest lobster tails I have seen.

Needless to say we have already booked to go back next February, and we can't wait.

If quality of service and food and a quiet vacation is what you are after, this is the place for you. If you want more of a party, swim up bars and large buffets, go somewhere else. Although you will have access to the much larger and louder Sandals Grande Riviera next door, you will find yourself wanting to get back to your own piece of paradise at the Royal Plantation very quickly.

Notes: We stayed in the west wing again - room 359 (top floor). We find this side has a more unobstructed view of the water.

Adrian and Cleon are amazing on the beach. Always happy!

Don't be afraid to ask for your lunch on the beach. Your butler or the beach butlers will bring it to you.

We tipped our butlers about $20 each per day (7days). I add this into my review because the most common question I received this time from newcomers was "how much should I tip them." This can be dependent on how much you use them our on your own financial means.

While this is typically an "older crowd" resort, I found there were many more couples under 40 this year. Having said that, everyone is very friendly and easy to talk to regardless of age.

Room Tip: West wing has best views. Ask for the 2nd or 3rd floor.
8 Thank Chris H
We're so thrilled to hear of your wonderful return visit spent with us at Sandal Royal Plantation. We always want our guests to have stellar experiences at our resorts and it's great to know that your stay was nothing short of amazing! Thank you for your review.

We can't wait to welcome you back!
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed February 24, 2014

It has taken several days to adjust to the fact that our typical evening meal doesn't include escargo, rack of lamb or black grouper, terrific French onion soup and fabulous chocolate pudding served by the ever-smiling Simon with beautiful mood music in the background or that we won't find that Neil or Kenroy had a bubble bath waiting after a strenuous afternoon at the beach or that there were no peacocks begging for morsels as we ate breakfast on the terrace and where is Lisa with afternoon tea when you need her. Darn.

What a great place! Sandals R.P. is a perfect retreat if you want to decompress in an idyllic setting where your every need is met. For once, the ads don't lie. Our butlers, Neil and Kenroy, were wonderful; always eager to set up excursions like a trip to Firefly where we weren't troubled by big groups of tourists and anticipating our every need. As a matter of fact, the entire staff at Sandals is professional, extremely courteous and willing to form close personal freindships or leave you alone if you want. Maybe they get tired of all this "positivity" and kick the cat when they get home or try to run down one of the ubiquitous goats along the side of the road as they drive, but I don't think so.

No complaints. The reef was damaged by Hurricane Sandy so the snorkeling is not spectacular and a couple from a country on the west side of the European continent but not a peninsula or an island bent the rules and put their stuff on four beach lounge chairs at different locations but they were easy to ignore. Jamaica us crazy? Nope. No worries.

The bottom line: the food is great (all of it), the setting is beautiful, the options from watersports to just hanging out are plentiful (use the privilege to go to the Sandals Grand Riviera next door for lots of bars etc.) and the staff from top to bottom is just excellent. We look forward to returning and getting a genuinely happy greeting and having a "welcome home" sign on our door just as the Brits who have been here nine (!) times received. Wow!

Room Tip: We were on one of the upper floors of the East wing which was perfect.
Gosport, IN
Reviewed February 24, 2014

My husband and I spent Feb. 8-14th at SRP to celebrate our 20th Anniversary. The summer of 2013 I spent hours researching where we wanted to go to celebrate. In 2010, we had our first Sandals experience at the Royal Bahamian so we narrowed our choices to a Sandals resort. I read so many great reviews on this resort but I didn't think there was any way it could be as great as everyone said it was.
Was I ever wrong! The Sandals Royal Plantation is better than great. It is as much or more than anyone has written to date. From the welcome to the beautiful and spacious room, to the amazing food no matter where you ate, to the beach and beach attendants....I have absolutely nothing I can write negative about this resort. Some people have written that the resort needs updating but the age of this resort is one of the things that makes it so beautiful.

So I want to mention some names of staff that were incredible:
First, to Hector and Sherril, our two butlers...Thank you so much for making this trip so special. You were there but did not hover. We mentioned we'd love to try coconut milk/water...and two fresh coconuts showed up in our room drilled with a straw ready to drink. We mentioned we loved Grand Manier and a whole bottle was on the bar in our room. The room decorations were beautiful...the afternoon snacks were delicious.... We just can't thank you both enough for your attention to detail. We can't wait to have you as our butlers again on our future trip.

Then there is Biggs (Adrian) and Cleon..our outstanding beach butlers. Thank you so much for the delicious drinks and delivering us our lunch at our beach chairs each day. Biggs, I won't ever forget that very "filthy" banana drink on our last day. It was absolutely delicious!

To Chad, one of the beach attendants....you did an excellent job making sure everyone had chair pads, towels and that the beach was kept impecably clean every day and all day long. You made the beach a wonderful place to stay all day..every day!

Beach hint: go down early to reserve your beach chairs. Since every room is a butler room, the butlers cannot reserve them for you. But, if you go down and put a towel/magazine etc on the chairs you want, they are your's for the day. The resort does ask that you not leave your chair unattended for more than 2 hours which I think was very fair.....

To Romaine Johnson (the very talented Romaine)..thank you for making our anniversary dinner on the pier, under the gazebo, so special. Your musical ability is amazing and I am so glad I have some of your musicianship recorded as a very special memory of that evening.

To the Wobbly Peacock staff...from Oshane, Andre and Lincoln... you are all so amazingly talented. We spent our anniversary evening up at the Wobbly Peacock singing and listening to some wonderful piano playing.

So then there was the food. First of all, one thing that stood out was that there is not one place you eat that you don't have a water view. This resort is just so perfectly laid out. We had room service for breakfast every day. Winston delivered breakfast to us almost every day and was right on time with piping hot food. Everything was delicious. HINT: If you want to try something truly Jamaican, write on your breakfast hang tag "Jamaican Breakfast".. you will get ackee and saltfish. It is a Jamaican speciality and was delicious. We had it at least twice. La Pappillion is wonderful. 4 course meals no matter where you eat. You can dine on the Terrace with no reservations or down at the Grill, right on the water. It doesn't matter...the food was outstanding everywhere. For lunch, you can't miss out on the coconut shrimp, lobster BLT and the jerk chicken and pork was delicious.

We were in a Great House Butler Suite. Our room was on the west wing closest to the ocean. The view could not have been better. If you worry about the french balcony (which I worried terribly about before we went)..don't... The doors open wide to the most beautiful view and warm sea breezes. We left the doors open whenever we were in the room and at night.

Finally, I'd like to mention some very special friends we met while we were there. We became friends with Lee and Shelley from Texas, Chris and Vicki from Canada and Nick and Jane from Illinois. They were all wonderful to get to know. We hope to cross paths with them on a future trip. What fun we had at the Wobbly Peacock on our anniversary!

So in summary... my husband is not a tropical vacation kind of guy. However, as a tesitment to how great this resort is, we have already booked another trip to the Sandals Royal Plantation January 2015. This was my husbands suggestion 100%. Of course I didn't argue! This says a whole lot about how wonderful this resort it.

Thank you again to everyone for making this trip so special. We will return in 333 days... not that I am counting!

Room Tip: West wing. All the rooms have an ocean view. You don't need a balcony/verandah to enjoy the ocea...
4 Thank Sandra F
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Excellent food and service, beautifully appointed hotel and rooms, amazing ocean views, lush surroundings, and first-class entertainment are important aspects of a vacation for us.... and boy does this resort deliver!
We visited SRP January 25 – February 1/14 and followed this with 4 days in the Prime Minister’s Suite at SMP – magical combination although two very different resorts. We have been to several Sandals/Beaches resorts on various islands but prefer Jamaica – for its lushness, the friendliness of the Jamaican people, the music, and the freshness and variety of the food.
MoBay transfer both arriving and departing is a very good value, especially if arriving or departing on a Saturday. People on our flight were lined up for 1 ½ hours to get through customs – it took us 15 minutes to get to the Sandals Lounge after landing. Definitely worth every penny of the $160.00 U.S for two for arrival and departure and we would not travel to MoBay again without it. We would rather spend 1 ½ hours looking at the beautiful countryside en route to SRP than to spend that time in a long line up at the airport.
We made a huge mistake upon arrival – we ended up taking someone else’s bag (staying at a different resort), leaving one of our bags (with our scuba gear) in the airport. Through years of travel we have never made this mistake. The only reason to include this in my review is to convey how impressed we were with how quickly and professionally this problem was resolved by SRP. It was no small matter as it entailed several phone calls to Westjet to track down the people whose bag we took so we could get it sent to them asap and several phone calls to Customs and a letter faxed to Customs to get our bag released to Sandals. We would like to express our sincere appreciation to Shena, the manager of the front desk, who provided us with the most excellent customer service. Her professionalism and kindness set the tone for the level of service we would experience for the rest of our holiday.
We have never been to an all-inclusive that is so committed to providing such a high level of customer service – and that is every staff member. Our butlers Shelley-Anne and Jermaine were wonderful - it is obvious that they love what they do and enjoy anticipating and fuffilling your every need to ensure that you enjoy your holiday to the fullest.
We enjoyed the Musicians who played real Jamaican music in the early afternoon, while we were sipping Pinot Grigio and enjoying smoked marlin on crostini with pepper jelly and coconut shrimp at the Royal Cafe. So refreshing to go to the Caribbean and hear real local music, as opposed to piped-in top forty music from North America. Even Seaford, the gentleman who looks after the gardens and generally takes care of the grounds, joined in and played with the musicians. Seaford is a true gentleman and I really enjoyed running into him every day (he seemed to be everywhere). A couple of times during our stay, he would bring down several coconuts to the beach, cut off the tops and serve you fresh coconut water with two straws.

My main concern with booking the SRP was the size of the beach areas. The beaches are small and the sun is off the beach mid afternoon. We missed long walks on the beach. Although the water and beach is beautiful, it is small and best suited for lounging and reading. However, there are plenty of water sports to enjoy and we took full advantage. We took advantage of the gym facilities first thing in the morning before a swim and breakfast. The snorkeling trips were a waste of time as we saw more fish around the pier at SRP and around the pier at SGR then on the reef.
Probably a result of the devastating Hurricane Gilbert. My advice, if you are a fairly active couple who enjoy physical activity and would be bored just sitting on the beach for 7 days: book a couple of excursions. Several of the best excursions available on the island are at your doorstep so take advantage and see how beautiful Ocho Rios is. You do not need to book before you go, do it when you get there as your butler can arrange everything. We booked 2 excursions, and they were so good we plan to do them again next year. Our first excursion was to Mystic Mountain which is a 15 minute drive from the hotel and one of the highlights of our trip. We left at 9:00 am and opted to do the Sky Explorer/zip-lining Combo. You ride up the mountain on a chairlift, just skimming over the canopy of the rainforest. The views of the ocean and the rainforest were spectacular and the 20 minute slow ride up the mountain is really lovely and relaxing. I am scared of heights but it did not bother me in the least. You can either zipline down or take the bobsled. We opted for the ziplining, and it was a blast! I was a little leery about doing a risky activity in a foreign country but the guides were very professional and safety is a priority. The ziplining offered not only a great adventure but great views of the rainforest. They have a great little restaurant there with great views, as well as a waterslide and pool which we didn’t experience... after all it is hard to beat the smoked marlin, coconut shrimp, and lobster BLT with some red stripe/pinot grigio that was waiting for us back home at SRP just steps away from the ocean! You could not ask for a better day. Next year we plan to do all 3 activities at Mystic Mountain to get the full thrill. Chairlift up, zipline down, chairlift up (there is no limit) and bobsled down (even if I scream the whole 1,000-meter roller coaster down).

Equally as enjoyable was a trip we took that is not offered by Sandals, but is getting increasingly popular among tourists...THE BLUE HOLE. Our butler, Shelley-Anne arranged for a driver, packed us a beautiful picnic with a cooler of red stripe/water/juice. It cost us $80.00 U.S. for a driver and $20.00 for the guide. It is a 20 minute drive up the lush hills of Ocho to one of the most scenic spots I have ever been in without the crowds. Initially you will be taken to the smaller falls, and if you can navigate the slippery rocks, and you are a decent swimmer, the guide will take you to the larger falls. It was exhilarating and spectacular walking up and down the falls and swimming in the crystal clear water. The beauty was that we were on our own schedule and we could sit and share a wonderful lunch with our driver and guides and other locals while taking in the beauty of the falls and the lushness of the forest.
We also took the Sunset Cruise which was included in our package – would definitely do that again, even if we had to pay for it, as it was a great way to enjoy the coast from the water for 2 1/2 hours. Don't forget your bathing suit as it is so amazing to take the mini water slide into the ocean as the sun sets.
The one aspect of this vacation which made it so much more intimate than any other holiday at a Sandals is the fact that there are only 148 people staying at the hotel, making it is easier to connect with and develop friendships with so many fascinating people.

There are only a couple of suggestions I would make: Firstly, please bring in a floatable island, like the one next door at SGR, one for each beach, so that beach lovers can get the most out of enjoying the beach, especially later in the day. There is very limited real estate on the piers where the sun shines all day, and these spots are usually reserved early in the morning. Having a spot to swim to and lay on in the middle of the swim areas would really enhance the beach experience for all beach lovers, especially in the late afternoon.Secondly, please add one or two recumbent bikes to the gym for those of us who prefer biking for our cardio.
See you again next year!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jane v
toronto
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

feb 13-20/2014 we didn't want to leave! The staff were the best! and exceeded our expectations! Thank you to our butlers, Ashpol and Chadwell, Lorna in the gift shop (your mom's Jamaican apples were delish!), Lisa Gay a wonderful beautiful waitress, and Taniqua, and Romaine and all the staff in all the restaurants. The food at this resort was just fantastic great chefs! Thanks to Marlo at the beach for bringing me my snorkel gear! yes the beaches were small, but still enjoyable and we always got lounge chairs, as the beach staff made sure we were looked after with chairs, towels, drinks, food and watersports. Marlo even accompanied me on the snorkel boat as i was alone and a bit afraid. how kind! Sheena a manager in the front office came out to say goodbye, what a sweetheart. Jason did a terrific job in entertainment. we will definitely go back to this resort an amazing holiday. golf was good, snorkelling was good, went fishing (didn't catch a fish but enjoyed it) room was fine, butlers kept bar well stocked and gave us surprise treats like cheese and fruit plates too. loved the peacocks too. really did relax here. liked the no tipping policy (except for butlers and beach butlers) beautiful resort

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Round Hill Hotel & Villas
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!