“AMAZING STAFF AND RESORT”

Sandals Royal Plantation
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
San Diego, California
“AMAZING STAFF AND RESORT”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We went to Sandals Royal Plantation for 6 days for our honeymoon by a recommendation of a friend (who has visited RP 3 times themselves). We have traveled all over the world and have many experiences and were a bit leery of going to a "chain" Sandals resort BUT we were pleasantly surprised. From the airport lounge to hotel to our room, everything was impeccable. We were taken care of every step of the way. Our butlers (Neil and Marvin) checked in with us everyday. It was a bit awkward to have a butler but they made our trip special in every way.

Atmosphere was amazing. It had intimate surroundings and everywhere you go, there was oceanview. All rooms have ocean view. The food was amazing and it was great to eat normal sized portions and not be rushed through our dinner. We did not have any meals at the Sandals next door (Grande Riviera..people told us that it wasn't worth it). You can order room service and stroll down to the beach late morning and still get a primo seat on the beach.

You can tell the people really liked working there and were proud of the place. Mark (the GM) checked in with us everyday as well and made sure we had a great time. We met many couples on the trip and everyone has been to RP many times. If you are ready to relax and not worry about anything, THIS is the place to be. We are already booked to return in 2014!!!

Room Tip: You don't have to worry, all the rooms are suites and have ocean view!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank angela_yk
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Plantation, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Angela, we're so thrilled to hear of your wonderful honeymoon spent with us at Sandal Royal Plantation. We always want our guests to have stellar experiences at our resorts and it's great to know that your stay was nothing short of amazing! Thank you for your review.

We can't wait to welcome you back in 2014!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (649)
  • Korean first
Key West, Florida
Reviewed August 29, 2013

First words cannot say enough. This resort and employees were again amazing! OUR first butler experience and Wow now we know why it is called ROYAL PLANTATION we were treated like royalty. Thanks to the general manager Mark and his staff .(Donard, Adrian, our butlers),Romaine Johnson entertainer and hospitality , Kevin the beach butler, all the bartenders, chef , o yeah did I tell you about the food? out of this world. And if you are a scuba diver do not bring any gear everything is there and it will be on the boat waiting for you. The boat crew is lots of fun and if you need an instructor be sure to ask for MIGHTY MOUSE ( PADI instructor Horneil Vaughan ) for a trip you will never forget this is the place.

10 Thank 140JCG
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Plantation, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Well, your review title says it all! Thank you so much for sharing your fantastic experience at Sandals Royal Plantation! We are happy that your return to this resort was just as good as your last and then some! The Butler service is phenomenal and we can see that you enjoyed the best treatment! The entire staff at the resort are so wonderful at their jobs and at making each guest feel most valued....and you are!!
We look forward to your return visit and even though you described this one as perfect, you can be sure the staff will still attempt to top it! :)
Markham, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Fantastic service, food & beach- nothing more you can ask for. Our butlers, Shelly-Ann and Jermaine are fabulous- we miss their thoughtfulness. Mark & Rui truly know how to make their guests feel like royalty, and as part of the family. Great job guys! Keep up the hard work, it pays off. I wish Romaine at The Terrace Grill could always serve me lunch- he's got a great vibe and loves his job. Sean at The Wobbly Peacock is amazing. We had a lot of laughs with OShane & Jason- I don't know if they sleep! Everyone at this resort works hard to make SRP heaven on earth.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
14 Thank JohnnieDoubleBlack
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We just returned from a week stay at the Royal Plantation and it exceeded my expectations! From the moment we arrived we were treated as royalty, something we were not used to and hesitant to. Every meal was amazing, I can honestly say there was not one meal that I had any complaints about! Everyone knew us by name and made us feel so comfortable like we were at home! The best thing about our stay was our amazing butlers, Adrian and Donard. They knew what we needed and wanted before we even did! Again, we were hesitant about having a butler at our beckon call but they were very good about giving us our space but also helping us whenever we needed it. Also, be sure to visit "Seantastic" at the wobbly peacock. Best bartender around and he made our nights so fun even though we aren't party animals! It seemed like we formed a friendship with these guys and it was really depressing leaving!! So we will definitely be back!! My only regret is not getting an email address or something to keep in touch with our butlers, our nee friends!! Best vacation I have ever been on and the first vacation where I was not ready to leave and get home already!! It felt like home there!
-Koben and Kim

• Stayed August 2013
6 Thank Kiiimberlyd123
Surprise, Arizona
Reviewed August 22, 2013

For the last few years, I’ve heard people say how wonderful this resort is. I found it hard to believe that a small place on the side of a cliff could be that great. I was wrong. It’s beyond great. Thanks to our amazing TA, Mike McHugh of Dream Makers Vacation Services, who sent frequent emails to the resort to check on us and arrange an upgrade, and to the terrific SRP staff, we had our best Sandals holiday yet!

Our stay began on a Sunday in early August. As others have said, arriving at the resort and making your first sighting of the crystalline view from the front door, through the lobby, onto the terrace, and out to the turquoise of the sea is, indeed, breathtaking.

Unfortunately, I had the makings of a migraine but wanted to enjoy my welcome drink, so I skipped taking anything for the headache. Big mistake! We met our butler Shelly, who showed us to our Plantation Oceanfront room. We loved how spacious it was, especially the walk-in closet. A quick change and we were at the beach swimming. For dinner, we ate at the Terrace where my headache worsened and I was unimpressed by my food. To top it off, other tables filled and emptied all around us while we waited and waited for each course. It was not a good start.

About 4:30 a.m., I woke reeling from the migraine, groped my way to my pills, and then passed out for much of Monday. Mid-afternoon, Shelly expressed concern about me and bundled me off to the nurse, who said I had an infection and called the doctor to come see me. Two hours and a prescription later, I was back in the room, getting ready for our first meal at Le Papillion.

The restaurant is perfectly appointed--a cool oasis in which to eat b/c it has a.c. DH had the mixed grille (beef, lobster, quail) which was delish! I ordered grilled lobster and switched out the couscous for the market vegetable (yummy asparagus and broccoli). The lobster and shrimp appetizer in Mornay sauce was great as was DH's onion soup and my asparagus cream.
My lobster, however, was not the best—tough, dry, and generally not tasty. We couldn't believe the difference from one plate to another. Mr. Mark Starkey, the new GM, came into Le Papillion and chatted with every table. He even helped Chatsworth "unveil" our entrees and did the same for the people next to us. He knew exactly who was, what the nurse/doctor decreed I should do to treat the infection I had, commended me for drinking lots of water, and discussed the benefits of broccoli with me. He has a great sense of humor and is not the least bit stuffy--very sincere
and down to earth.

Tuesday, with the headache still lingering, I stayed in the room until 1:30 but then headed to the east beach so that housekeeping could get into make up the room. DH was diving, so I spent the next three hours reading, swimming, and realizing my head was better! When we returned to the room at 5:00, it hadn’t been cleaned. Our other butler, Jermaine the Magnificent, was not happy about this. We had plenty of towels and had no trouble getting ourselves ready for the evening.

At the returning guests’ dinner, Ms. Caroline Cousins, hotel manager was at our table. What a lovely, cultured young woman she is! In honor of Jamaican Independence Day, the food was traditionally Jamaican and spicy! We had a great time and ended the night by watching a dance troupe perform.

When I woke Wednesday, I already had four missed calls on my butler cell phone. I was asked if I could meet Ms. Cousins and Dacia (butler manager). They told us we were being upgraded to the Governor’s General Suite on the third floor. Oh, my! Two balconies, a large bathroom, a foyer and guest bath, and a huge living room make this an amazing suite—best in the house. We kept pinching ourselves to see if this was all real. Then, it got even better.

That morning, the ladies had asked me about food favorites and introduced me to Rui, the food and beverage manager. They must have spent the day fussing because at 7 p.m., we heard the doorbell ring, and in came a troupe of folks to set up our anniversary dinner on the balcony. Among them were GM Mark S, FB manager Riu, Dacia, Peter (who would be serving us dinner), and maybe someone else. I lost track b/c I was getting such a kick from Mark S. looking at "his" resort all lit up and twinkling from our balcony. He had not been in this suite after dark and was as wowed by the view as we were.

We spent the next two hours going "ooooooo" and "aaaahhhhh" over a delicious meal prepared just for us: oriental shrimp, pumpkin soup, mixed greens salad, poached lobster with market
vegetables, topped off by molten lava cake (me) and apple tart with ice cream for DH. Peter was both professional and warm in his efficient service.

Later, we wandered downstairs to socialize and order a Sean-tastic. While we were lounging on the terrace, Riu came by to ask how dinner was for us. We ended up chatting with him at length, learning about his family (twin daughters, 17 months old) and how he can't wait for them all to arrive here. He, too, is a great guy, and his love of his family was precious to see.

Because this is way too long, I’ll summarize a couple of things: DH did a wreck dive and seemed to enjoying the diving here more than at any other place he’s been. At the beach grill, ask for raisin ice cream with a double portion of rum sauce—YUM! Don't worry about the quality of the alcohol or the strength of drinks; they have top shelf brands and will pour you up as much as you want. Visit Kelley-Ann at the Soon Come Back desk; she’s efficient in helping you book your next Sandals vacation. We are set for ten days next year at SRP. Don’t be afraid to chat with other guests; everyone seems friendly here, probably because they are having such a great time.

In fact, we pretty much thought we’d died and gone to Heaven! The staff is without doubt the most incredible of all the Sandals resorts we've visited. Believe the reviews that say they are everywhere, looking after guests’ every wish and then some; another example of this is Mark Starkey spending an hour playing pool with my DH and other men one night. SRP is in great hands with him, Ms. Cousins, Riu, Dacia, Kelley-Ann, and all the others.

Room Tip: If you can't afford a balcony suite, don't worry; the ones with the French windows are lovel...
9 Thank Theresa R
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Just returned from a two week return visit to Royal Plantation. For the first time we stayed in the villa.....all I can say is that it was beyond all expectations. The view, the pool, the jacuzzi, the rooms were all just perfect. The best part however is definitely the staff. To us they are not staff but simply friends. We have to give special mention to Oratio, Claudine, Lucien, and Adrian. While everyone there was wonderful, those four truly made this a special trip. Playing tennis with Oratio, trying to get Claudine to swim, watching Lucien dance while grilling, and listening to Adrian singing to our music on the beach......all memories we will never forget.

If you have never gone.....go! If you have gone before....return!

We look forward to returning soon and spending more time with all the great friends we have made.

Room Tip: If you can swing booking the villa by all means do so. If not it is truly hard to beat the third flo...
7 Thank Rob W
Westbury, New York
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This was our first stay at Sandals Royal Plantation and we were extremely impressed. Royal Plantation is the only "boutique" hotel of the Sandals group, so if you enjoy more quiet and more privacy, this is Sandals for you. If you want something more upbeat, you can stay at the Sandals Grande Riviera next door. If you want the best of both worlds, you can stay at the Royal Plantation and play at the Grande Riviera. A shuttle bus will take you back and forth. Royal Plantation is also an all-butler Sandals. We wouldn't normally opt for butler service, but it wasn't an option, and now we're "hooked." We have been traveling to Jamaica since 1981 and believe that this is one of the best values in Jamaica. There's a reason it is the number two rated accommodation in Ocho Rios. You can see our more detailed review with pictures if you search for IntimacyTravel and go to the blogs.

Room Tip: All the rooms are oceanview, so you can't go wrong. You may want to choose a larger balcony tha...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Round Hill Hotel & Villas
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!