“Lovely and restful”

Sandals Royal Plantation
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We have arrived home safe and relaxed. We had a lovely and restful time at the Royal Plantation. Our room was lovely with a fabulous view. We stayed for only a short while but our 4 days spent here left us feeling recharged.

While the beach was good, the spa was rejuvenating, and the dining was delicious by far the most impressive part of the facility was the staff. At each turn we felt that everyone we encountered was invested in our happiness. While we would not have imagined a "butler" would be something that we would need or want for a vacation, our 2 butlers were instrumental in making us feel that we got the most out of our short vacation. Ricardo and Orayne were both helpful and efficient in organizing our days so that we could get the most out of our stay. They struck and excellent balance between being friendly and welcoming hosts while not being intrusive in our all "alone without the kids vacation".

I have only 2 small concerns. First, while the room was lovely and the view fabulous the bathroom was in need of some TLC. Secondly, we were so pleased with the service provided by Ricardo and Orayne that we wished to leave a note before we left. When we asked at the front desk for a feedback or comment card we were told we should just post it online and we were given a card telling us how to post on Tripadvisor. Hmmm

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Melizard613
Write a ReviewReviews (2,692)

Reviewed July 30, 2013

This review is delayed in writing however was always on our to do list after such a wonderful visit.

All the reviews that tell you how good the SRP is, are bang on the money.

We spent two weeks in heaven, the food is out of this world, you must try the afternoon tea (best scones and jam i ever tasted), the staff are wonderful. Adrian and Cleon on the beach, mr Sean'tastic and Nestta in the wobbly peacock, Nataljia, Ken, Chadworth, Romaine in the restaurant, and the tireless efforts of O'Shane and Jason, and all the others guys and gals that make your stay so wonderful.

We hadn't even been back a month and we had rebooked for 2014. So see you guys and gals next year.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Mark_n_Pip
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Let me start by saying if you are reading this. Choose this resort and you will never regret it.

Now for the longer review because if you are like me you love to look at all the reviews before purchasing a trip.

Trip time: July 21-26, 2013
Room: Coconut Grove Room with Ocean View (1st floor)
Reason: Honeymoon

Things We Loved:

This is a beautiful resort with lush plant life and well maintained. Everything is clean and the service is beyond good. My wife and I went into the trip thinking the food would be okay but expected since it was all-inclusive. Wow we were wrong. The food was amazing. They had plenty of variety and the service again was great. The manager Mark was very nice and we met him a few times during our trip. He managed a great staff and everyone at this resort was top notch.

Tips and Tid Bits:

-At Sandals you only can tip the Butler and Car Service. This is optional. Considering the service our Butler's gave I felt a tip daily was appropriate. (as a note: We did $10 USD per day with a larger sum on the final day. Also tip in USD)

-The water is safe to drink out of the tap.

-You do not need to have different plugs. US plugs work great. Plenty of outlets in the rooms.

-There are four restaurants. Le Papillion is reservation only (use butler) it has French food (dressy). The Terrace has a rotating menu and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Royal Grill is beach side and serves lunch and dinner (casual). The Wobbly Peacock is a bar that serves food from 2:30 to 8 or so (casual).

-When you arrive in Jamaica (MBJ Airport) you have to go to customs then Sandals has a great waiting lounge until your shuttle arrives. They serve drinks and beer. Also they have very clean restrooms.

-The drive is either in a cab (Sandals approved) or shuttle. It is a 2 hour drive. It goes by very fast as you get to see a lot of Jamaica. Our drivers also were excellent about having bottled water and telling us about Jamaica.

-Unlimited food. All meals. Unlimited drinks. They have some top shelf liquors and your glass is never empty.

-This is a small resort with only ~75 rooms. This makes it very private. You will love it. No waiting for anything and a beach chair is always available.

-The beach has two rotating butlers that will come about every 5 minutes for more drinks. The beach is constantly raked and the water is beautiful.

-You can have breakfast brought to your room and set up by your butler. I recommend this!

-The only thing that will cost extra is the Spa and Island Excursions. They offer quite a few at different prices if that is something you wish to do.

-Watersports are included. You can go out snorkeling and go on the glass bottom boat. You can ride kayaks and take out Hobies. All of these are great.

If you have any comments I can try to answer. I recommend this place and we really trust Sandals after this.

15  Thank Michael A
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My girlfriend and I booked a trip for July7th-11th. From the time we arrived, the staff was there to take care of us. Ou butlers Marvin and Shelly treated my girlfriend and I like royalty! You couldn't ask for a better experience. Our room was excellent, the view was gorgeous, the beach was clean, clear, and the water was so blue. The food was four star, I loved the nightly entertainment. Special thanks to the tour guide and our wonderful driver, who took us to Bob Marley's birth place (Mount Zion),and Dunn's River Falls. Looking forward to coming about again!
-Bob & Tawana

6  Thank RobertRjr
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Where do I start....this resort is perfection from start to finish.

First of all the new General Manager is Mark Starkey. Exceptional individual that refers to the staff as "family". Mark was always seen greeting guests morning, noon and night and truly takes pride in everything and every one of his staff. This sets the stage for everything that follows.

The grounds are immaculate and the entire resort is charming and elegant. They even have afternoon tea at 4:00....a perfect touch of class.

The staff....every single one of them goes out of their way to ensure that you have the most memorable and romantic vacation of your life and WE DID!!! Oryan and Ricardo were our Butlers and did an exceptional job. We literally wanted for nothing and they always went out of their way to ensure that each day was special whether that was by making sure we had the table we wanted, ensuring we had our favorite red wine, drawing a bath, creating beautiful towel art or anything else they thought would make our stay more enjoyable.

Our tenth wedding anniversary was July 21st, 2013 and we renewed our vows. It was incredible!! Danette and Naomi took care of everything and were there when we exchanged vows along with other staff members. That was a really lovely surprise because we truly felt like they wanted to be there to share that moment with us. Shamoye was our server for the evening dinner on the beach as well as an additional dinner the resort created for us in the drawing room. Shamoye was amazing and made our experience absolutely perfect. With someone as young yet professional as he is I would expect he will be a Butler in no time. We even had another staff person named Romaine come in and play the piano for us just because Shamoye thought it would be a nice memory for us. The two of them created the most amazing night for us and we will remember it always.

Every morning at breakfast we were greeted by Shenile and Aleika who were simply wonderful. Every breakfast was perfect. You have to try the steak benedict....absolutely the best breakfast I have ever eaten in my life.

Biggs was our "mangossa man" who took great care of us along with Chase, Anne Marie, Jason and Cleon. Every single day was fun...the staff made sure of it.

We also went in the glass bottom boat and snorkelling with Charleton and Oneil who were simply fantastic. It blows my mind how much they love their jobs and go out of their way to make us happy.

Will was our photographer for the vow renewal and his photos blew us away. We were absolutely thrilled with the end result. He and Brittney were so patient and made sure we got every shot we wanted. Very talented man!!!

Now let me tell you about the food....absolutely 7 star all the way no matter what you ate or where you ate it. Attention to detail is what sets this resort above all others. Not only were the meals exceptional in terms of taste but also presentation. What I really loved about the meals was the fact they were not over sized portions. Mark Starkey (General Manager) places great emphasis on wellness and you can see that in the way the meals are prepared.

One last amazing detail about this property are the peacocks that randomly wander around the resort. They are simply stunning and really add an exotic touch touch. I even got a chance to feed them....loved that!!!

I don't know Will & Kate Middleton but I certainly know how they feel because that is exactly how each and every staff person treated us. Always a warm smile, handshake or hug and they remember everything you tell them. Its very impressive how attentive they all are. It truly felt like we were family and because of that we have already booked to return at the same time next year.

I have been to many resort destinations in my life such as Cuba, Dominican, Barbados, Mexico, etc., and have stayed at some lovely resorts however THIS resort is truly ON ANOTHER LEVEL. Never in my life have I experienced this.

Thank you to all the staff at Sandals Royal Plantation for giving us the most romantic vacation of our lives and for creating the most incredible memories that we will cherish forever.

10  Thank Kymbur
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Sounds like you truly had a fabulous anniversary and vow renewal at Sandals Royal Plantation. We always love to hear of the amazing, memorable experiences that our guests have with us. We pride ourselves on the excellent customer service of our friendly staff and they will all be so glad to hear of your kind mention.

Thank you for your review. We can't wait to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

My boyfriend and I just arrived home from sandals royal plantation, what an amazing experience. I did a lot of research on a handful of resorts in Jamaica and I am so happy that I chose sandals royal plantation!

The hotel and grounds are absolutely beautiful. Lush plants and flowers everywhere. Old english colonial style setting, beautifully adorned with gorgeous furniture and ornaments, so classy and royal! Literally fit for a queen!!

The service was amazing. The employees act and look so professional, and made you feel so welcome. Everyone acknowledges you always.

The butler service is also a treat, they make you feel so welcome and taken care of. Consider yourself lucky if you end up with the amazing butler Kenroy! He really was a huge part of us having a great trip. He is so professional, sweet, thoughtful and made us feel so special. We wanted to try fresh coconut water and he went outside the resort and got it for us. He was very organized and always had a big heart warming smile on. He set up a candle lit bath with rose petals and leaves artfully displayed, brought beautiful cheese and fruit plates to our room decorated with little flowers, among other beautiful thoughtful acts. This man is an asset to the royal plantation and I believe he deserves an employee award!

The beach is incredible and the beach butlers are always there to bring you what you need.

The bartenders are so creative, the bars are fully equipt with premium alcohol and they are ready to concoct you any cocktail you could possibly imagine. They are artists!

The entertainment crew was hilarious, Oshane is so full of energy and makes everyone laugh.

The food is also very good. It is very difficult to find good food at an all inclusive but this place really blows that concept out of the water. Beautiful breakfast/lunches and dinners. If something isn't made to your liking they will do whatever they can to make it perfect for you. La papillon restaurant was absolutely incredible. So regal, always with a pianist playing, beautiful chandeliers, gorgeous furniture white table clothes and elegantly dressed waiters wearing white gloves. Literally fit for a queen!

One piece of advice I have is to stay away from the beef, I never find beef very good in hot countries, it must be imported. The chicken and fish is always fresh and divine!

If you like to be in a classy aesthetically beautiful environment, and you like being treated like a queen, this is the place for you!! I am picky and I only like to stay at the top rated places, this place is amazing! I will never forget it!

• Stayed: July 2013
10  Thank Krista911
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

We're so happy to read that you and your boyfriend had a great vacation with us. We love to hear our guests boast about our luxurious accommodations, delectable dining options, beautiful property and the wonderful personality and hospitality of our staff. Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure creating such a memorable experience for you.

We can't wait to welcome you back in the near future!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

This was our second stay at the Royal Plantation (the first was in 2011). We originally booked for the Villas up on the hill just to try it out, but didn't like how far the beach was when we got there. Upon our request, the staff moved us to Royal Plantation without charge (we expected to pay an up charge!) or complaint. Mark and his staff know what customer service is all about, and they went above and beyond throughout the week. When we got home, Mark actually e-mailed and called us to make sure we got back safely!

Though we were disappointed our butlers from our first stay, Jermaine and Shelly-Ann, were on vacation, Neil and Marvin gave us a great experience. Now we have four we will look forward to seeing on our return!

The dive staff also helped to really make the trip special. Jeno Nicholson was my instructor when I obtained my Open Water certification in 2011 while staying at Royal Plantation. I obtained my Advanced Open Water and Enriched Air certifications in the interim and had the opportunity to observe other instructors in action as my son also obtained his Open Water, Advanced Open Water, and Enriched Air certifications. Let me tell you that Jeno is second to none. I obtained my Deep Diver and Wreck specialties with Jeno on this trip and he was great. But what was really impressive was the way he helped my wife overcome her fears and obtain her Open Water certification. She is hooked and is even talking about getting her Advanced Open Water certification now! The rest of the staff there were outstanding as well and I would have no qualms about entrusting my family to Semaj, Mouse, Winston, and the rest as dive instructors and guides. We were really sad to leave them to come home!

Royal Plantation truly provides an experience that is unmatched! We would highly recommend RP for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: All of the rooms we have stayed in are great, though we felt the rooms on the west side had a slight...