It is hard for me to imagine going to another resort that I will enjoy as much! I echo all the accolades already expressed. At first, I thought it might be a little too quiet, but by the end I didn’t feel that way at all. What makes this resort truly special are the people. The staff's friendly, witty, encouraging banter sets a magical tone that is contagious, and creates a family feeling that penetrates your interactions with everyone – guests and staff alike. That takes a special kind of leadership!
Every employee we met was superb! Far too many to mention, but a special call out to those we came into contact most often – our butlers Donard and Fiona were attentive without smothering, Chase, Sean, Akein, Danielo and William all made our stay special. The talented team of Oshane (our Irish brother from a different mother) and Jason provided great entertainment. The musical talent of some of the musicians was among the best we’ve seen anywhere.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for anything.
- Reserve your beach chairs. I didn’t have the nerve to ask my butler to do this at some ungodly hour, so one morning I went out at 6:30 a.m. and 6 loungers were already being held with personal items.
- Get to know the staff. We made a point of regularly sitting at the beach bar and in the pub as the interaction with the bartenders was so great…it was a highlight of the trip.
- If you like scuba diving, Mouse and his crew are great. The best dive is the shipwreck as it also involves swimming through rock caverns.
- Take advantage of the spa….treatments were wonderful!
- We loved the piano bar, and would have liked to have the DJ one more time.
Found the following history from the internet quite interesting. Enjoy!
“Throughout the years, this resort has always been a magnet for the rich, famous, privileged, powerful, aristocratic and worthy, such as various members of the British Royal Family, the Earl of Mansfield and Mansfield, Sir Winston Churchill, Richard Nixon, Pierre Trudeau, Prince Ernst of Hanover (the husband of Princess Caroline of Monaco), the younger brother of the Maharajah of Jaipur, Mr. & Mrs. Stanhope Joel, of the South African diamond dynasty, and Mrs. Coretta Scott King, the widow of Martin Luther King Jr.
Artists, art patrons and art lovers have always found a home at Royal Plantation, where, to this day, fine art weekends with world-renowned local artists occur monthly and exquisite, original paintings line the walls. The tradition began in the 1950’s when English playwright, Noel Coward, would often bring guests here to dine from his nearby home, Firefly, on the inn’s gourmet cuisine. And popular author, Ian Fleming, would take breaks from writing his James Bond novels and come here from his house, Goldeneye, to enjoy the amiable company and gourmet fare. Richmond Barthe, the renowned American sculptor, frequently stayed here as well.
In the 21st Century Royal Plantation’s reputation for excellence and opulence has been resuscitated and rejuvenated by its current owner, the internationally renowned hotelier and entrepreneur, Gordon “Butch” Stewart, who purchased the inn in 2000 and rapidly restored it to its former glory. A native of Ocho Rios, who spent his formative years in this very town, Stewart spent his childhood dreaming of owning this sublimely sophisticated resort—today his wishes have been fulfilled beyond even his wildest expectations.”
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •All suite resort and all are serviced by butlers trained by the Guild of Professional English Butlers•2 private beaches with beach butler service•The Caribbean’s only Champagne and Caviar Bar•Exquisite International, Mediterranean, Caribbean and French cuisine•24 hour in suite dining•Complimentary transfers from this resort to all Sandals Resorts•Voted Sandals Resorts “World Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row•Voted Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand” 18 years in a row•Five Star Diamond Award - American Academy of Hospitality Sciences ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, TravelUp, BookIt.com, Hotwire, Agoda, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sandals Royal Plantation reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Royal Plantation Hotel Ocho Rios
- Royal Plantation Ocho Rios
- Royal Plantation Jamaica
- Sandals Royal Plantation Jamaica/Ocho Rios