“Great Staff - Beautiful Location!”

Sandals Royal Plantation
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed April 22, 2011

We were totally enchanted with Sandals Royal Plantation. It is a beautiful location and the staff are incredible! Cornell at the pool; Chris and Curtis our butlers; Trudane and Kelly Ann; Barry who made us his award winning cocktail; and Mr. Fraser, the General Manager, who is doing a great job and is always on hand. Our room was very nice and comfortable. The Papillon Restaurant was top notch. Although the pool and the beach were small, it was never an issue as there was always available lounge chairs and they were never crowded. We enjoyed the staff, the food, the location, the fact that the resort was small and intimate. We also enjoyed "high tea" and participating in the "lanterns" event - a fund raising activity. We missed not having a balcony - but not too much - and thought that the Wifi was very expensive.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelersmoncton
There are newer reviews for Sandals Royal Plantation

Reviewed April 16, 2011

I took my wife to Sandals Royal Plantation, and she thought we were going to the movies in our local movie theater. Thanks with the help of Amy, and Dream Makers Vacation Services, the trip and the surprise was a success. But guys, you have not lived until you pack your wife's luggage.

We have been to Sandals several times, but this was our first trip to the Royal Plantation. It is like you have already read -- outstanding. Our butlers were Curtis and Chris. The Peacock Pub was fun. The return dinner had a filet had a lobster tail on top of it - wow. Snorkeling was so/so, and the sailing was fun, but watch the reef.

Met new friends, and my wife won the black jack charity tournament. She also got the royal treatment (just like all the guests do) with rose water mist and cucumbers for her eyes at the beach, and flowers and candles and champagne for her bath.

You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Yarby
Reviewed April 10, 2011

As soon as we walked in the lobby...we knew we were in for a royal treat. The resort has an old world charm. It is beautiful!
Check-in was fast and efficient. Our buler Orayne brought us a refreshing Mangosa (Champagne and mango juice) and gave us a quick tour of the resort and the brought us to our suite. It is exactly as the pictures on the website. The room is a nice size and the bed was comfortable. Everything worked well. He had a nice table set-up with cheeses and crackers and a nice bottle of champagne on ice.He then offered to unpack our suitcases, which we gratefully accepted. We went exploring the beautiful grounds.
There are 2 beaches...both are very nice. There is a reef in front of our resort so the water is very warm and calm. There are beach butlers that bring you food and drinks. There were always spot available on the beach. They have a nice rose petal mist that is so refreshing...don't be afraid to try it.
The pool is small but you have to keep in mind that there are only 74 rooms. The resort was at full capacity during our stay but it never felt like it. The pub waiters make their rounds often and bring you food and drinks. There are 2 hot tubs and again...hardly anybody using them.
The food is excellent! I don't say this often and I am a bit of a foodie but honestly the food here is the best! My favorites were the coconut shrimps and the lobster club sandwich at the beach grill, the omelets and chocolate coconut pancakes and the Terrace restaurant and the rack of lamb at the Papillon restaurant. The Wobbly Peacock pub serves good pizza and the wings are amazing!
The drinks are made with quality liquor and it shows because they were so good! My favorites are Miami Vice, Gladstone special martini and of course Red Stripe.
I absolutely have to mention that the staff at this resort is amazing! Everybody is so nice! Our wonderful butlers...Orayne and Derron are the best butlers we have ever had. They are polite, well organized and have a feeling of making you feel that you are the only people at the resort. They did so many nice things for us during our stay that made us feel like royalty. I also have to mention that to have a great staff you need to have a great leader. The manager Mr. Peter Fraser is one classy guy! He is always around...helping out the staff and making sure that everything is perfect! In my opinion, I think that alot of hotel managers could learn a thing or two from this man.
The returning guests dinner was great! The food and drinks were amazing! The band was very entertaining! We had a great time.
The resort entertainment was also very good. We really enjoyed the Jamaican night on Fridays. You have to see this to believe it! The limbo guy is so talented! Don't miss it! I also loved the fact that around 11h00pm...it's quiet! This is a heavenly resort for R&R!
We loved the resort that the only time we went off the grounds was to go golfing. The golfcourse was not in the best condition. They are working on that and trying to upgrade it. We still had fun playing the course. The caddies were very helpful. Our caddies were Mark and Buddy.
We truly loved this resort and we would definitely go back in a heartbeat! It is a gem....what a great find!

3  Thank nicaribbean
Reviewed April 5, 2011

A very friendly & attentive service provided by all staff. The butler service was extremely good as they provided service just to the level that you desired. The room had ample space & tastefully furnished. The fridge was restocked each day with individual requirements. Although the beach & swimming pool were small, there was always space & sun loungers available even though the hotel was full. Evening entertainment was very varied, of high quality & reflected Jamaican culture & music. Food quality was excellent with sensible portion size. There was little to fault in the whole experience but it was always being made to feel 'special' that provided the 'icing on the cake'.

3  Thank Martin W
Reviewed March 28, 2011

My wife and I just got back from a week at the Royal Plantation. The resort is a very nice property. It shows a little wear and tear, but my experience says that everything in the Carribbean tends that way. Overall it was a very nice place. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The view from our room was spectacular and the property overall is gorgeous. For an all inclusive resort the food was very good. I wouldn't say it was fantastic, but I had a few very nice meals and overall they did a very nice job. I heard a few people on here talk about the service being slow. It may have been a tad slow once or twice, but you are sitting in the warm breezes of Jamaica, how much of a hurry do you need to be in?

The reasons I couldn't give it a 5 star rating are a bunch of little things. We were told twice we would be sitting on the terrace outside of the La Papillion restaurant only to have them not seat us there. The shower shut off completely while my wife was in it one afternoon. she has shampoo in her hair. It was like a scene from a bad sit com. The toilet stopped working one night. It stopped flushing. I called maintenance to have someone come by to fix it. It was 10 at night. We waited 30 minutes and nobody showed. When I called back to check on it the woman who I had originally called admitted that she told the maintenance guy the wrong room number. They guy did get there in another 10 minutes and he was able to fix the toilet. Noting major, but just not really "5 star" kind of treatment.

My biggest complaint is my major pet peeve. My wife and I are beach people. We go to places like the Royal to sit on the beach and look at the water. Both the beaches are small and they don't keep a lot of chairs on the beach. The bottom line is that if you aren't on the beach at 10:00 in the morning to create a presence on one of the chairs there is an excellent chance you won't get one. We sat by the pool a couple of days because there were no chairs on the beach. In my opinion, a 5 star resort should make sure that they have enough of everything to accomodate their guests. I shouldn't feel stressed out that I need to rush out to the beach first thing in the morning to throw a couple of t-shirts and a magazine on a chair to make it look like somebody is sitting there. This is more the kind of thing I would expect from a lower end property.

I still do think that this is a very nice place for the most part. The staff was wonderful and on balance the stay was very nice, but I just feel that there were enough issues with our stay that I just can't call the resort a 5 star or give it more that a 4 on my rating.

Reviewed March 27, 2011

The hotel is without doubt, situated in a beautiful, quiet setting, until the booze cruise returns to the Sandals hotel next door - but this is the only time your peace and tranquility will be disturbed..and it doesn't happen very often.

This is our 3rd time in Jamaica, the first at this hotel (previously Sandals Dunn's River and Couples Ocho Rios). We had a year to anticipate our break so after reading all the positive Trip Advisor reviews we had high expectations, which unfortunately we felt the hotel didn't quite live up to.

To list all the issues would feel pedantic, as many were small...but became increasingly irritating as they escalated in quantity.

The conclusion we drew was that this is a BUTLER service hotel and this is very much their focus - if you encourange and allow your butlers to do everything for you, it all works very well. However if your preference is to be independent and inconspicious, this is perhaps not the hotel for you.

Diving: my husband reported that the equipment was in a poor state of repair and the staff were not always as professional as they could have been

Golf: This year the course was in a particularly poor state of repair. However its a nice course and SODA, our caddy was as always excellent

Jamaica Dog Sled Team - We booked a visit through Chukka Carribean Tours. If you love dogs, you'll love this...and its particularly satisfying that some of your excursion fee is donated to the Jamaican Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Animals

Would we go back? For the price we paid, No- If we got a cracking deal, then yes.

MILITARY DISCOUNT - be sure to notify Sandals if you in the military, you'll qualify for an additional 10% discount.

1  Thank binnzy
Reviewed March 25, 2011

To the Managers of Sandals, Ocho Rios:

I highly recommend your Butler Service. The Butlers are courteous, kind, warm caring individuals that are there to help you with any thing you may need. It could be something as simple as getting a toothbrush that you forgot to pack, to helping you decide and plan all your dining experiences while on the property. Must say it’s wonderful to have someone do all the scheduling for you while you can sit back relax and enjoy being on vacation.

If you want to experience the feeling of being a king or queen for a few days, butler service is the way to go.

In our case we’ve visited Sandals Ocho Rios numerous times and when they say to us, “Welcome Home” it truly does feel as if we’re home. The various Butlers we’ve had on our stays have been wonderful. You know they are there if needed but at the same time won’t be intrusive. We receive a phone call from them in the morning just to check in on us and to see if there is any thing we possibly need and to make sure our stay is going as planned. Always there with a smile and a hug whether it be when we arrive or as we’re leaving. They do their jobs and they do them with the highest of standards.

Over the course of years that we’ve visited Ocho Rios our Butlers have been Shelly, Moria, Kismet, Jackie and others. Each and everyone of these butlers are unique in their own respective ways. But at the same time they take the time to get to know you as an individual and pay extra attention to your wants and needs. They go far and above their respective duties to provide excellent service to their clients. As an example on our last visit our flight was delayed due to weather. I got in touch with Shelly to let her know our arrival time. She got back to me in a timely manner and let me know that all was taken care of and even though she nor Jackie would be there when we arrived due to the late hour, that someone would meet us and get us to our room. It’s these little things that make such a difference. We’ve gotten to know each of them and always look forward to seeing them when we return. Even if not assigned to us you can still count on them to stop and ask how things are going and if they can help you in any way. Each and everyone of them take their jobs seriously and are proud of the way they take care of their clients. This shows in their smiles and attitudes towards the people they take care of on a daily basis.

Sandals truly does know how to make a vacation a relaxing and memorable one. The Butler Service they offer puts them over the top of places to stay while vacationing!

To all the Butlers for Sandals I must say thank you for all that you do each and every day for the people that visit your properties. You and you alone make those of us that utilize your service feel not only special but, you are the reason that we return. We can’t wait to hear the words yet again, Welcome Home!

Donn and Sharon Slovachek

Round Hill Hotel & Villas
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!