“Okay - but expensive”

and up
Shuttle Service from Runaway Bay Hotels to Ocho Rios Attractions
Ranked #9 of 68 things to do in Ocho Rios
More attraction details
Owner description: This magnificent property has a natural cove which is surrounded by 5 acres of lush tropical rain forest. Visitors have the opportunity to interact and "Swim With" dolphins, enjoying the thrill and love of these amazing lovable animals. Visitors can also swim with, hold, feed and learn about the evolutionary secrets of the Caribbean sharks. Visitors can capture their dream of being a dolphin trainer by taking the challenge of being "Sea Keeper" for the day. Voted as Jamaica's Number One Attraction for a reason. Come for the day, for memories of a lifetime.
Reviewed April 4, 2009

Was there over Thanksgiving 2008 - slow season and maybe was part of the problem. There were not many people there - so some activities not done - no Shark Show. Also, they shut down the kayak and mini-boat rides because they said was too rough - but it didn't seem it to me - and no reduction in any of the prices.
We just did the "Touch Program" - because all packages seemed so expensive. For the $67US each, after doing it, I would not do it again. After a short lecture on what to do/not to do - you stand in a line on wood boardwalk about ankle deep in water while a dolphin swims by slowly in front of you a few times. You get to touch/pet the dolphin a few times. Also, the dolphin gives each visitor a kiss while they take your photo. That's it. Also, they don't allow others in your group to take pictures - only the staff - so only way to get a picture of the dolphin kiss is to buy their pics. And, as others have said - the pics are way overpriced.
I think if you bought the full "Swim with Dolphins" package it might be a different experience. I watched others do their activity, and they seemed to enjoy it - but at $195US each I couldn't justify it. There is a 3rd option called "Dolphin Encounter" for $129US each where you are in the water with the dolphins, but don't get the fin pull or nose push. And also a "Swim, hold, feed the sharks" package for $119US each.
It did seem like the dolphins were well-cared for by a trained staff and had plenty of room to swim. Good to see since Jamaica so poor - may be why the prices are so high. At least that's how I justified the cost in my own mind.
After that there is a nice nature walk thru the forest and a few animals to take pictures with. There is a guy handling a macaw and a few other birds, and another area with a larger Iguana and a small python. But again, they take pictures to sell them to you and discourage you from taking your own. Tip them and they let you because they are not the ones selling the pictures. That is done from a building in the Pirates Cove area. They show you all your pictures on a screen and can burn them onto a CD for you - but overly priced compared to same service at other sites.
Unless I win the lottery, and do the full dolphin swim - I would not do it again.

3  Thank Ohio_Buckeye_1
There are newer reviews for Dolphin Cove

Reviewed March 22, 2009

Swimming with the dolphins was awesome but we did feel rushed. I agree with one of the reviews about the pictures and video being outrageous. I think it was 20 bucks a picture and no couples pics so we had to buy two. But besides that it was a great place, very relaxing and a fun atmosphere. Palm trees and Caribbean music with all the jerk you could eat. We went through a cruise package and the excursion just seemed like we didn't have much time to take it in. We had a suicidal bus driver that was doing twice the speed limit, and would force cars over. Next time I would go for a week or so just to take it all in because Dolphin Cove really had a lot more to offer then we were given time for.

Reviewed March 21, 2009

We loved Dolphin Cove. The scenery and relaxation was great! The foot massage was terrific. Thank you to our attendant. She was very nice.

We loved the rum punch and buffet. We are wondering if anyone knows the brand name of the passion fruit rum that we were able to taste on the trail back to the entrance.

Reviewed February 9, 2009

Ok so I'm writing this review almost a year later but i must say this place was great. My husband had decided on a shark encounter, and i was going to swim with the dolphins. When talking to the Shark trainers about how afraid of Sharks I was (4 years old in san diego and a shark swims right up to me in the ocean) They convinced me to get in with my husband and it was at no charge. So there I sat with 300lb Diablo across mine and my husbands knees. I was ok till She Snapped that Fish then i lost my mind a bit. But they were really good about it and took me out as soon as possible. Then I went for a dip with the dolphins. Over all I had a great experience here and everyone was very accomidating i would recomend this as it is a once in a lifetime experience to swim with the sharks

Reviewed January 31, 2009

Took my 9 year old daughter. Hotel scared us to use them vs. going solo and ripped us off on both pricing and tour options. Then after arriving, found out that their photographers take the photos and your shots are from far away and cannot be with many of the animals (cannot have child in same photo). Pricing for these photos extremely expensive and a time waster. I emailed Dolphin Cove about this upon my return home and never received a reply. The literature does not state the policy anywhere. Beware.

2  Thank BarbYork