Review of Dolphin Cove

Dolphin Cove
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Shuttle Service from Runaway Bay Hotels to Ocho...
Ranked #17 of 69 things to do in Ocho Rios
More attraction details
Owner description: This magnificent property has a natural cove which is surrounded by 5 acres of lush tropical rain forest. Visitors have the opportunity to interact and "Swim With" dolphins, enjoying the thrill and love of these amazing lovable animals. Visitors can also swim with, hold, feed and learn about the evolutionary secrets of the Caribbean sharks. Visitors can capture their dream of being a dolphin trainer by taking the challenge of being "Sea Keeper" for the day. Voted as Jamaica's Number One Attraction for a reason. Come for the day, for memories of a lifetime.
Reviewed December 19, 2013

This was so much fun! We swam with Arby. We were able to pet her, swim with her, and make her dance. We were also able to swim with the Sting Rays. You have to ask someone to do this. When we got there we did not know where anything was. We saw the shark show which was cool, but short. We were not able to kayak or take the small boats out. Overall, it was a lot of fun swimming with the dolphins. They take great picutres. Each print is $13.00. They also took a vidoe, which we did not purchase.

1  Thank Phillygirl1224
Write a ReviewReviews (3,026)
All reviews
in 100 reviews
"beach area"
in 29 reviews

Reviewed December 18, 2013

So of course if you've had an encounter with a Dolphin you are going to rate this excursion highly. The swim encounter is amazing you get to swim right there with a dolphin. You get to touch it and even have it pull you through the water. For me - the trip is worth that alone!

However, that aspect only lasts around 45 mins. So what else is there to do since you're driver probably will leave you there for 4 hours (if you can tell them to come back after 2.5 hours) ? Get food? Eh, you are better off bringing a packed lunch. Their food was pretty terrible. Shop? they have a few stores -THAT ALL SELL THE SAME STUFF - which is boring. They have a small beach to sit at - but the day we went was cloudy so that wasn't really an option. The ocean seems very choppy - don't expect to go on the boats are kayaks unless it is a perfectly calm sunny day.

Also - They relentlessly pressure to buy pictures, videos, and cds of your dolphin encounter (which are so over priced it is not funny). You have to buy one if you want a memory of the event since they do not allow cameras in that area when you're on your excursion.

1  Thank BeachandFood
dolphincoveltd, Manager at Dolphin Cove, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

I am very pleased you liked your dolphin swim however sad that you did not enjoy the other things we offer that is included in the price of admission. We also take note of the food and have passed this info on to the food and beverage department. We take your comments very seriously however some things like the weather is beyond our control. Thank you for taking the time to review us.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Very enjoyable! Low key and comfortable attractions. We swam with the dolphins, it was awesome and very informative! There is a lot to keep you busy: beach, nature walk, food, and shops.

1  Thank bcdgrandma
Reviewed December 16, 2013

if you do the swim with the dolphins and you aren't scared, the way to go is the ultimate swim. it by far is the only way I would do this. get much more for your money.

See more reviews
Reviewed December 15, 2013

My Husband and I decided to go swimming with the dolphins as it was on my bucket list and we thought our 7 year old would love the experience. We arrived around 10am with scheduled swim at 1:45 and a 2:30 encounter. We were told that there were a variety of things to do however it was not at all like we expected.
Things to do:
While there were plenty lounge chairs there were not many that had shade. It was covered in seaweed which I didn’t mind too much, what I couldn’t stand were the rocks.
- Swim with the sharks/Sting Ray encounter
People in the water seemed to enjoy it. I took some pictures but didn’t participate.
- Various Animals
We saw the birds and my daughter fed the rabbits, she enjoyed it.
- Boat Rides
We booked on the phone and informed the person helping us that we had a 4 month old and a 7 year old, we were assured that it was family friendly. I went to ask about the boat ride, and found the employee to be incredibly rude and not remotely helpful. I asked if I could sign up for a boat ride she said yes but not for another half hour as all boats were out with people from the cruise. I found that to be reasonable so I asked if I could sign up now and return for my boat ride; she said no. It was even more annoying to find out that our 4 month old would not be allowed on the boat ride. My family and I left and returned 45 minutes later, once again I asked if I could sign up for a boat ride; I was then rudely told that I could not sign up because the boat was supposed to be back but it’s not and she has no idea what happened. I sat and waited for 15 minutes. I ended up leaving without a boat ride.
- Dolphin Swim
The Dolphin Swim was fun! While you are in the water the guide tells you lots of fun facts. You can sing, dance and kiss the Dolphin; the guide will have you line up and have the opportunity to rub the Dolphin. The swim itself is fairly short. After forming a line you pat the water with your hands, and the Dolphin will swim up to you, when he/she gets there you raise your arms and the Dolphin sticks its fins up, you hold on and the Dolphin pulls you through the water. It was a lovely experience, and it is all filmed and photographed. It was absolutely worth it!

The swim was by far the best part of the day in hindsight I would not have come so early.

Ps. The trail is NOT stroller friendly and we carried our jogger stroller

1  Thank Mr_Mrs_Campbell