“Even Better than our Honeymoon!!!”
Review of Couples Tower Isle

Couples Tower Isle
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed September 27, 2010

We returned to CTI in August to celebrate our fifteenth anniversary. We spent our honeymoon here and planned to return every five years, but illness prevented a ten year anniversary trip. We thought we would be disappointed with the renovations since the hotel wouldn't be as magical as we remembered it to be. We were very pleasantly surprised that CTI remains both a magical and beautiful place. The staff truly makes this resort spectacular. From smiling faces, to excellent service, to pleasant conversations, to ensuring that your every need is met, the staff goes above and beyond to make your stay memorable. If you engage the staff, they will remember you and treat you like family throughout your stay. It was also nice to see staff from our first and second visit still at the resort.
The magic begins when you step off the plane and are greeted with a cold drink and smiling face at the Couples Lounge at the airport. From here you take an hour and a half van ride to the resort. With the completion of a new highway this trip was less harrowing and faster than our previous visits. You are warmly greeted, receive a champagne or rum punch and are quickly checked into your room when you arrive.
The renovations to the resort are amazing with the addition of a beautiful, tranquil spa and new pool with a swim-up bar. The modernization of the hotel lobby,restaurants, fitness center, internet cafe and pool area was also well done with tastefully, elegant appointments.
The food is truly gourmet! We dined at all the restaurants and the buffet. Bayside, with the new Asian fusion menu was outstanding! We have eaten at top notch New York City Asian restaurants and Bayside was very comparable plus you are surrounded by the ocean. It is a really romantic restaurant. The chef even came to our table to talk with us and ask how we enjoyed our food. We also had fancy, wonderful meals at 8 Rivers and the Veranda. I was very impressed with the Veranda this time because I really did not care for the previous food/restaurant that was there. The breakfasts and lunches were also great at the Patio Buffet. There were so many fresh, healthy, yummy choices. The veggie bar was also a wonderful addition to the resort. We enjoyed pumpkin kibbee, artichoke dip, marlin dip and sweet potato chips along with cheerful conversation with the girls. We ordered room service one morning and received a continental breakfast with a carafe of Blue Mountain Coffee(YUM!) to enjoy on our balcony.We also enjoyed a private dinner on the beach which was such an extra special treat with a private waiter, and a delectable menu right next to the ocean. We also received two surprise champagne,cheese and crackers set ups in our room during our stay. Having been to several all inclusives, Couples food is truly exceptional.
The rooms were very comfortable with a view of the ocean, ipod docking station, great temperature control, closets and a good sized bathroom. Housekeeping does a great job of keeping the room spotless. We had a little problem with ants coming from a flower in the room and they immediately took care of the problem. The rooms also received tasteful updating during the renovation.
We enjoyed many of the included excursions offered by the hotel such as horseback riding, a catamaran cruise, sea kayaking, garden tour, and snorkeling. Each activity was well planned, fun and exciting. We also spent at day at Couples San Souci and enjoyed experiencing a sister resort. It was very different than Tower Isle but in a good way.
The new spa is just wonderful. We upgraded our complimentary massage to an hour couples massage and were so happy with the service. I also had my hair done for our vow renewal and it turned out so much better than I ever expected. The whole spa area is so tranquil, peaceful, and so nicely decorated. I especially enjoyed the view of the jungle from our treatment room. The hot tubs and Buddha pool were nice places to explore especially at night. This renovation really adds to the resort.
We renewed our vows on the beach and had champagne/cake reception in the garden. We were impressed with the service we received in order to make our ceremony a unique, intimate occasion. The vow renewal package is great with the ceremony, minister, flowers, decorations, cake, certificate and champagne. We purchased a photo package to capture the day.
Lastly, we enjoyed the pools, hot tubs, beach, tower Island, fitness center(confusing to operate treadmills), game room, internet cafe and spectacularly landscaped grounds. CTI is the place to go for complete relaxation, to reconnect with your spouse, and to meet nice people.
We were absolutely impressed with the new CTI. It is still a very magical place for us. My only complaint is that they got rid of the basket hammocks that were throughout the resort and island. There were a couple of regular hammocks but please bring back the basket ones. Again if this is my only complaint, then Couples has done it's job to remain my favorite place on Earth! Can't wait to return and this time we won't wait so long!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank AnnieZM
Write a ReviewReviews (3,186)

Reviewed September 27, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this wonderful hotel in April this year and had an absoultely wonderful holiday. Our time on Jamaica had started rather bad as we've first booked in at the Sunset Jamaica Grande which was a complete joke - awful service, rooms and food...
We moved to CTI after four nights at Jamaica Grande. We set up a meeting with one of the managers at CTI (Alex) explaining our situation to her. It was pretty full at the hotel due to the ash cloud but she was so kind to help us with change of hotels. I was in tears in her office as it was our honeymoon and was soooo relieved that we could move to a proffessional hotel with clean and nice surroundings.
As soon as we arrived at CTI we felt special and welcomed. Bubbles upon arrival, smooth friendly check-in, funny bell boys... Room was fantastic, we had a garden view wich was a wonderful view of lush gardens and a very big size room with big walk in closet. So the point is you dont actually have to have a sea view at this hotel, the garden view is just as nice.
As restaurant owners in Denmark my husband and I probably have higher expectations of the food quality than most others. But you couldn't fault any of the food here. Great variety, quality and plenty of it. We looked forward to all meals here, and the snacks in between in either the veggie bar or in the pool bar...
Everywhere we went we were met with smiles and funny comments. We used some of the free tours but especially enjoyed the free water sports which is just amazing it is for free. We nearly water skied every day with Gary and Woody that taught my husband to waterski. A big thanks to them for making our days by the pool/beach special.
All in all the facilities here are spot on: Great pools, views, activities, food, room - almost everything was spot on!
There was a little but: concerning the fine dining restaurant eight rivers. We went there a couple of times the food was great but felt a little rushed with our meals. The worst thing however was that they weren't concistent with their dress code. On our first night my husband and I went there and he was allowed in with a dark jean type trousers. We didn't know about the dress code because we had just arrived and nobody said anything to us. On our last night of our stay we had booked to go in there and he was wearing the same trouser but now wasn't allowed. We had a bit of an argument with the head waiter that was VERY rude to us. Then he said ok we could go in but then all of a sudden he took it back and we weren't allowed anyway. I said to my husband that I've had enough and lets just try and enjoy our last night. When we left the eight rivers we then saw five guys leaving as well ALL wearing sandals- Dresscode; no sandals?:! Now thats double standard and the head waiter was bang out of order - hope he won't be there when we come back... We will return to this absolutely gorgeus place. For us it had everything that we would want; dedicated people in wonderful sorroundings delivering a great product both with entertainment, food, drinks..
I didn't think that I would come back to Jamaica whilst we were at the jamaica grande but oh my!! CTI really managed to turn it all around:-)
Thanks to all the staff there for making our honey moon really special and memorable - there is so many people that made a difference unfortunately I can't remeber all their names - We will be back!!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Danishfoodie1980
Reviewed September 22, 2010

My DH and I celebrated our 10th anniversary and my graduation from respiratory school @ Couples Tower Isle September 8-15. We've been to Jamaica before but not to Couples.

Best Parts: 1. The Island; 2. The people on the Island; 3. Playing Three Man on the Island; 4. The Beach; 5. Scuba Lesson; 6. Snorkeling; 7. Food; 8. Drinks; 9. Staff 10. Spa (massage & facial).

Least Good Parts: 1. Hotel is definitely showing it's age (wear and tear) despite last year's renovations. 2. Weather (humid and rainy, but hey, it's a change for us from Arizona). 3. More rainy day activities needed. 4. Evening entertainment needed more variety and to fill gap between 8 & 10:30 pm.

Some more good parts: 1. Large Balcony. 2. Good housekeeping service. 3. Nice mix of ages and hometowns among guests. 3. Friendliest staff, nearly always willing to help with whatever. 4. Good wifi coverage. 5. Coffee bar in gift shop with excellent espresso.

1  Thank My_AZ
Reviewed September 22, 2010

My husband and I have just returned from our wedding/honeymoon at Couples Tower Isle and couldn't have picked a better venue for our wedding. The whole experience has been fantastic, from the friendliness of the staff to the superb food. Whether you choose to dine in the Bayside Thai Restaurant, the Patio Buffet Restaurant (fantastic choice for every meal!) The Verandah Restaurant and 8 Rivers Restaurant for fine dining. There was something to suit everyone and the steaks and lobster were delicious.
The rooms were large, bright and airy and the beds and pillows were very comfortable. Towels and bedding were changed daily and the bed was turned down for us every evening .
Our wedding was lovely and we would like to say a big thank you to both Latoya for organising everything, and Sheldon for our beautiful photographs. There are so many people that contributed to our enjoyment of our holiday but we would like to especially mention the following as they all made our holiday more memorable by the things they said and did. Kirk and Emworth in the Lobby, Stephen in the restaurants, Tafari and Racine in the Veggie Bar, Stevie in the Watersports, Kelly, Carlos, Bobette, Deudrop and Ortios in the restaurants, Romain in the Piano Bar, Chevon who served us delicious fruit kebabs on the beach, Rashebah and Johan on the entertainment team and last but not least, Delroy.
Would we go again - yes in a breath! The beach is lovely with soft sand, and clear warm sea, although we and many of the other holidaymakers were disappointed to learn that the Island is for the exclusive use of Nudist bathers. (We did however manage to get a boat across early one morning to have a quick look at the island before the nudist invasion!)

Reviewed September 18, 2010

We had never left the US and were anxious that Couples might not live up to all the other great reviews we read before selecting Tower Isle. We worried needlessly. From the time we exited customs we were ushered quickly to a cold Red Stripe in the comfortable lounge at the MBJ airport and quickly lead to our shuttle we realized we'd made a good choice. The trip was almost 2 hours through the countryside and we arrived to a cold Rum Punch and a quick, efficient check in and ushering to our room. The view of the island from our balcony was terrific. The room was spacious and clean (Premium room) with a large closet and a very large balcony. We had very through daily cleanings of the room and nightly turndown service. And the food!!!! The food was excellent!!!! I didn't eat anything I didn't like the whole time. The buffet Patio restaurant had a good selection each day/meal, the Pool Grill was quick and yummy (the Jerk Burger!) and the Verandah restaurant was awesome, more local flavored selections. 8 Rivers was good, but not out of this world, we didn't try Bayside (asian). The watersports folks were very helpful, especially w/ the snorkel clinic in the pool before we went out on the boat for the real thing. Overall this is a great establishment with all you need and it's all included! We had a great time on the Catamaran cruise, Dunn's River, horseback riding and golfing. No need to be uptight there, just relax and remember...no worries mon! There is lots of tipping expected on the excursions for your drivers and tour guides (not the couples staff), but really they were fun and made the trips enjoyable so you are tipping for their services. They always ask the group if they had a good time to justify the tips, they want you to have fun! The only complaint I have is that we couldn't stay forever! A group there during our stay had been there 22 different times to meet up, that's a testimonial. Anyway...don't worry about it, just book the resort! Enjoy and no worries mon!

2  Thank mlmfish
Reviewed September 11, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Couples Tower Isle (CTI) 9/4/2010-9/9/2010. We’ve previously stayed three other times at Couples Negril (CN). Prior to finding CN we rarely did all-inclusives but really like CN and wanted to give CTI. This trip report is about CTI but will be in large part a comparison with CN.

Airport arrival is the same for both: a nice lounge, beer and water, and quick transfer to a van for about a 90 minute drive to either CN or CTI. The roads to CTI in Ocho Rios are better than to Negril but neither trip is bad. Friendly greeting at the resorts with cold towels and drinks. Check-in at CTI is at the reception counter rather than the piano bar at CN. Both are friendly and efficient. On this trip to CTI our return guest status (with perks) was not on record which seemed odd since we usually book directly through the Couples web site as we did this time. It was eventually resolved.

The room: We usually stay with Garden View rooms at CN because of the limited ocean view there but Ocean View at CTI comes with a very nice view. We used our patio/balcony much more than we usually do at CN. The bathroom was large with a large walk in shower. I probably didn’t enjoy the shower as much as I should have because I was paranoid about getting the bathroom floor wet since there is no door or curtain to the shower stall. The bed was very comfortable and the AC good. The rooms are more typically a hotel room at CTI than the rustic/Caribbean type at CN. Some may like the more modern rooms at CTI over the more dated rooms at CN. We would give the CTI room a slight edge over CN but the view pushes CTI further ahead.

WiFi in our room was poor but good around the pool and very fast internet in the internet café. Wish the wifi signal at CN was as good as around the pool at CTI. I was able to listen to streaming radio from my home town around the pool.

Pool/Beach: The beach at CTI is nice and the water calm and warm. It’s almost unfair to compare it to CN since the beach there is so huge. CTI touts that their beach might be smaller but it’s private. That’s true but we never had any issue with the CN beach not being private. The nude Isle at CTI looks very nice but we never visited. We stayed mostly at the pool near the main bar. The lounge chairs at CTI were very comfortable. At CN they are plastic with each chair having foam raft on it. These were framed with fabric stretch across and adjusted more easily. There were plenty of floats around. CTI has two medium sized pools as opposed to the one large pool at CN. We never made it to the pool that had the swim-up bar. Pools/Beach for us was a tie between CTI and CN but if you like to spend your time on the beach CN would win.

One thing we liked much better at CTI was that beach towels were freely available rather than the one-towel per guest policy at CN. We usually bring an extra beach towel with us to CN but didn’t have to at CTI (we had planned to bowel towels with gift shop credits but didn’t have too). Score a big one for CTI!

Water Sports: We didn’t do much but did take a Hobie Cat out for a nice sail. CTI and CN tie.

Tennis: We play tennis almost every day. There are three courts at CTI across the street. Be sure to use the crossing light since the road crossing is on a bend and the cars fly by. The surface was an odd outdoor green artificial grass. But it played OK. We liked the courts better at CN (asphalt) especially since we didn’t have as far to walk or have to cross the street.

Patio Grill: We were disappointed that the ‘nacho bar’ at CTI was just chips and cheese as opposed to the full beans, salsa, guacamole, etc… at CN since we often eat them as a snack. The Veggie Bar at CN made up for it some. The grill itself was about equal to CN with burgers, chicken, fries, etc… Another disappointment at CTI grill was that the soda fountain was occasionally out and was often out of ice. Win to CN.

Eight Rivers: Ate there once and the return guest dinner. Food very good and service great, On par with CN’s reservation restaurant but a little warmer at CTI. I perspired qute a bit in my long khakis. Bayside Asian: Also reservation and open air. Really enjoyed it. My wife likes the Asian restaurant at CN better because of the sushi but I liked the CTI one better.

Breakfast buffet: Very good both locations. Remember you can order eggs anyway you like at the omelet stations.

Bars: The house red wines are good. Glad Miller Lite is available. This goes for both CTI and CN. Top shelf liquor at both resorts but two missing at CTI that bummed us out (Pucker at Midori) since we both like to have pre-dinner drinks that need those mixers). CTI did have mint leaves available for mojitos more often than CN.

Excursions: We don’t usually leave CN but left CTI twice. Dunns Falls was a lot of fun and close by. Don’t bring a camera unless it’s waterproof. Horseback riding was close by too. Don’t expect anything more than a walking pace. But the guides were very nice and informative. It was worth a couple hours.

Spa: Had 30 minutes massages. Very nice and friendly staff. Unfortunately CTI's therapy rooms can't compare to CN's treehouse and beach huts. Gym: Both have indoor AC'd gyms. Love them both. CN is bigger with more weight machines and free weights. CTI has a much better view while on the treadmills.

Anyone that isn’t looking to find fault will have a great time at CTI. Overall we prefer CN but that could be a familiarity bias.

6  Thank ChuckHas
Reviewed September 10, 2010

My boyfriend and I just returned from the resort and we have nothing but WONDERFUL things to say, from food, ppl, activities & excursions everything was perfect! Can't wait until we return next year!

• Stayed: September 2010
#13 of 80 in Negril
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
#8 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!