“Wonderful Time....but”
Review of Couples Tower Isle

Couples Tower Isle
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed July 9, 2007

Hotel was dated but the room was nice. Staff was friendly and helpful. Food was ok but I expected better. Chamber Maids did a good job at keeping the room and hallways clean. Check-in was a fast and easy. Drinks were plentiful. Would have been nice to have access to room service 24/7, munchies usually hit after a good night of drinking. Activities were fun and plentiful. Grounds were well kept gardens were nice. Overall was a good stay.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank bxrlvr
Write a ReviewReviews (3,188)

Reviewed July 8, 2007

Just returned from Couples Ocho Rios, can't recommend it enough. Food was excellent, people are lovely and we had a garden room which was very clean and adequately furnished, there was nothing we could complain about. The package you get from this all inclusive is excellent value for money, my husband dived and played golf as much as he wanted at very little cost (golf you pay for a caddy and clubs if you don't take your own and diving if you need a shortie which he didn't) we went to Dunns River Falls which was excellent and included in the all inclusive package, we also went out on the snorkel boat for a trip to the house reef. There are plenty of activities organised although what is written on the board doesn't always happen. We had just gone for a holiday and it was bliss, we did see a number of weddings whilst we were there (17 on one day). We also went on a couple of shopping trips run by the hotel, would recommend the Island Village shopping only. Be prepared to be harassed if you visit the craft markets which no doubt you will. We were worried the weather wouldn't be good but it was fantastic only 2 short bouts of rain. As the Jamacians say "No Problem" I can honestly say we had no problems.

4  Thank KJBerkshire
Reviewed July 2, 2007

My new wife and I recently travelled to Jamiaca to celebrate our marriage and were looking for a resort that we could sit back and smell the roses (not to mention regain some of our lost sanity from the planning and execution of the wedding). Since it was our honey moon we had very high expectations for the resort... I am thankful to say that Couple Ocho Rios did not disappoint!

The Negatives:
-The resort is NOT close to Montego Bay airport. The trip is quoted at taking 1.5 hours by the resort and by the travel agent but takes much longer in reality; nothing takes the excitment out of arriving at a tropical location like finding out that there is a 2-2.5 hour ride to the resort.
We managed the trip from the airport to find the resort under minor construction and looking as though it was in need of a face-lift (after spending a day there this however was reclassified and though of as more historical... check out some of the pics in the piano bar to see how long the "Tower Island Resort" has been around and who has stayed in it's rooms). The minor upgrades / construction did continue through the week but aside from not being able to have a mid afternoon sleep we were not bothered by the renovations.

The Positives:
-The Staff: the staff were very helpful, friendly and overall very happy to be there. In far too many other resorts the staff are there becuase they have to be and, without constant tipping, the level or service is rarely what it should be. The staff at Couples broke this mold.
-The Food: the food at the a la cartes as well as the buffet was great. My wife and I both appreciate a good meal and the meals that we experienced did not let us down in the least.
-The Activities: it was such a nice feature to have (nearly) EVERYTHING included. The snorkeling, scuba-diving, horse back riding, catamaran (sp?), Dunn's River Falls... everything was inlcuded in the inclusive rate which made it nice not to have to carry around large sums of money on the trip.
-The Facility: the grounds were well set up for everyone. The large pool deck to the naked only island... the resort had something for everyone and allowed for a diverse vacation experience.

Overall, the vacation/ honeymoon was FANTASTIC. The resort did not meet my expectations of a 5 star resort but the management and staff did a great job of ensuring our staff was one that we would suggest to others! I would highly recommend this resort to any couple who is celebrating an anniversary or their honeymoon. It is not a rocking party like you can expect to find in Cancun but rather a romanic setting with others celebrating a similar occasion.

8  Thank 4life
Reviewed July 1, 2007

I have not recently been on a trip to COR….however I have been there twice in the last 3 years. My husband and I went on our honeymoon there is 2004 and we went again last summer 2006. I am just spending time reading reviews and seeing what everyone else thinks of this resort. I am actually in shock from some of the reviews. How anyone can possibly have horrible experience is beyond me!

When we went on our honeymoon it was the first time either of us had been to an all inclusive resort…and it was fantastic!!! We loved everything and had the most wonderful time. We even talked about it with friends and they fell in love with COR too.
We had absolutely nothing bad to say about this trip…except for getting sea sick on the Catamaran cruise….but that’s all me.

When we went last summer, we were eager to return and even brought some friends along for the trip. We had a wonderful time as we expected too.
It did rain for the first 4 days of our 7 day trip…but can anyone REALLY control the weather? We had horrible service one night at the Veranda…but we just didn’t eat there again…and everyone has bad days…even Jamaican’s. And yes, the ride to and from the airport is LONG…but I think it’s great to see the country…and it really makes you think about how lucky you are appreciate where you are from. You also have to remember these people are getting paid hardly anything and still have great attitudes and seem so happy to help YOU! The resort is dated…but that’s where it gets its character and I was never turned off by it!

It just makes me furious to hear all these horrible reviews. What do you people expect? You are paying around $1500+ per person…for everything you could possibly need…food, drink, sun, sand, and fun! Go with an open mind and enjoy yourself!!! Some people would/will never be satisfied and will find the bad in anything.

This summer we are actually going to a different resort in Negril (RIU Tropical Bay)…and I am worried that it won’t live up to Couples Ocho Rios!!!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
5  Thank lieslrene
Reviewed June 24, 2007

My wife and I just arrived home from Couples Ocho Rios Yesterday, it was an awesome experience. Let me just say that when I logged on to Trip Advisor and saw such a bad review I couldn’t believe it! First off let me just say that I am fairly well traveled myself, I have been to Jamaica 6 times alone, always checking out different resorts so some people call us experts of sorts.

Yes it is a 2 hour drive to the resort, but you are on vacation on a beautiful island, relax and enjoy the scenery. The only negative thing that I can somewhat agree on is that the interior of the resort is dated. I think that this Couples is the original all-inclusive so it is an older property. I have heard that they will be renovating the rooms giving it a facelift if you will.

Now to the over whelming positives. The food and service was 5 star all the way. It was truly the best we have ever had. Different menus every night in every restaurant. There were many different dining options for super every night. One of the biggest bonus’ this resort had over others we have stayed at was the extra excursions that were included. There was Dunns River Falls, Shopping, Horseback riding and SCUBA to name a few, we enjoyed them all. Probably the best part about this resort were the staff, from the doormen to the wait staff they all were exceptional. We didn’t ever wait in-line for anything really. Anyways we had an amazing visit and would defiantly return. Just wanted to shout-out to some of the amazing staff, Hey Emerth(bellhop), Chris(SCUBA), Ricardo(entertainment) and last but not least all the lovely ladies on the bar staff, Raquel, Antoinette, Tenisha, Camille and Chuckalee(beachgrill).(Sorry about any spelling mistakes). Thank you guys for making our vacation so memorable! We miss you guys already and hope to see you again soon!

10  Thank jamcan77
Reviewed June 24, 2007

I am totally confused at the few negative reviews. I have to wonder if this is done for the wrong reasons. This resort is exceptionally clean, excellent food and service and the staff goes far beyond expectations to make your stay unforgetable. I have stayed at many resorts in many areas and nothing compares to Couples Ocho Rios.

Everything about this trip was absolutely wonderful. We liked it so well we are vacationing there again in August, this time longer. If this was the type place several have written about why would anyone want to return 5 months later? Something to think about.

Try this resort! You won't be sorry and you will wonder...what's up with these people??? Awesome and Soooo romantic!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
10  Thank inlovewithcouples
Reviewed June 23, 2007

My wife and I have traveled all over the world and have stayed in the best hotels on many occassions. This hotel is a world class hotel in many ways.The charm of a 50 year hotel cannot be executed in the newer hotel chains of today. The hotel is well kept and the peple who work there in all capacities make your stay easy and a delight. The food was excellent, even the buffets for lunch and breakfast. Drink was of the highest standard and accessible. Water sports were fantastic. My wife and I will return in the near future as she will get her scuba accreditation. We are not newlyweds -- We are a young exciting 50's and 60's couple. Congratulations to all the staff at Couples Ocho Rios.

6  Thank Shawsita
#13 of 80 in Negril
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
#8 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!