“COR OUR ONLY VACATION SPOT FROM NOW ON”
Review of Couples Tower Isle

Couples Tower Isle
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
USA
“COR OUR ONLY VACATION SPOT FROM NOW ON”
Reviewed July 12, 2006

I have been everywhere and seen alot and due to Couples Ocho Rios I will not see anything but Jamaica from now on. We were married at COR 3-5-05 and had a blast. It is the best place to go for an all inclusive resort. I wasn't sure what to expect but it went beyond all of my expectations.

THE STAFF:: What beautiful people. In the morning I loved hearing the bellhops and the maids singing. Such beautiful accents, I miss it to say the least. They maid our wedding/moon so stress free. The cooks were always smiling and enjoyed having conversations with the guests. Most places I have been the staff were rude and wishing they were someplace else other than waiting on you. The bartenders laid on the liquor thick. If you are wanting to drink on your vacation then BEWARE COR does not water down the drinks!!! They take care of you in every aspect

THE FOOD: I am a very picky eater. I was scared of what cuisine they would have. My mother-in-law went to Montego Bay and warned my husband and I that the food was horrible so we packed snacks. DIDN'T NEED SNACKS AT COR They have Le Gourmet a 4 Star French Cuisine Restaurant, Bayside an Itallian restaurant, the Callabash was a buffet style restaurant that had so much to choose from you could eat yourself sick! The grill is open 24 hours a day. The grill has hamburgers, nachos, and Jerk Chicken *very yummie*

THE ACTIVITIES: You will not get bored here. You can go horseback riding, take the trip to Dunns Falls, play tennis, play golf, snorkeling, scuba diving *they certify you at the hotel* Catamaran Cruise, Bingo, Arts and Craft lessons, Any water sports you can think of, and our favorite Tower Island. Tower Island is off from the resort. It is an all natural island. I loved that it was an island that you had to go to. I do not like the thought of an all natural beach due to gawkers :) Here it is a Couples only friendly environment where you feel totally comfortable.

THE ROOMS: Were beautiful. We had a gardenview room with a balcony. Our room was equipped with a Kingsized bed, huge walk in closet, TV, Radio, Desk, Blowdryer, and the most amazing milk soap I have ever used :) The room service was awesome and the maids did an excellent job cleaning every day.

Overall review 4 stars. If you are not happy with this resort then you have problems! Which in Jamaica there are "No Problems and No Worries" :)

• Stayed March 2005
17 Thank jamerican352005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (979)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 10, 2006

Let me say COR was better then expected.

The Bus ride to the resort was not the greatest as it was pooring rain and the driver never said a word.

Once we arrived the pampering began. The cool clothes and Rum Punch were a great way to start off our stay. Once checked in we hit the Bar and Buffet for dinner. There is a nice selection of food on the buffet and the Bar will make what ever you want!!! The only problem I enountered was my wife trying to find the perfect drink for her. When ever she ordered a drink and didn't like it I hated to see it go to waste so I did what any red blooded American man would do I drank them all!!! Long story short my first night in Jamaica was a little blury. And no the Drinks are not Watered down. Tell the bartender what you want and you will get it!

I never noticed or encountered a problem with single men at the resort. Yes there were several large wedding parties during our stay but they all seemed to stay with their group and if you did mingle with them they were all very friendly and quite nice to talk to. We met couples from all over the US, Canada and England. Most everyone was super nice and would always greet you with a smile.

The island was great. Damion was awesome and the nicest hardest working employee at the resort. He made our days on the island entertaining and intoxicating. :P We went to the island everyday but one and never saw spa employees and the only time we saw the water sports crew on the island was to bring bar supplies and lunch or clean the pool in the mornings. Once or twice a day a water sports employee would make a trip around the island and collect any empty cups and take them to the bartender but that was it.

The only downer we had on the island and our whole trip was a couple that was rude and seemed to think they could just order the bartender around. We also saw them that night at dinner doing the same thing. Several couples were trying to have a nice quiet romantic dinner and they were loud enough everyone could hear them throughout the restuarant. Luckily for us they arrived at the end of our trip. Every other day on TI was just amazing.

The resort was beautiful, the Staff was amazing and our whole experiance was much better then expected.

Food was good and plentiful.

Drinks were as strong as you wanted and never ending.

Resort shows it's age but also has a touch of old world class and style.

Tower Island is a must try, worst that can happen is you get dressed and head back to the resort.

Transportation should be much better once the road is finished.

Overall our experiance was great and we are looking into going back asap.

20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kitchener, Ontario
Reviewed July 9, 2006

Worth every penny....we were at couples from June 26th-July 3rd. Just missed the big storm. We've been to other resorts in Mexico, Cuba and Dominican...4 stars resorts... just to give an idea of our standards, and we're a newlywed couple in our mid-twenties.

Beautiful and clean ocean view room...romantic and perfect for honeymooners.
The ride to the hotel was great, we were talking to the driver the whole way there and back so we didn't notice how long it was...don't expect the roads to be like they are at home...you'll find the same roads and driving habites in europe....we're just spoiled in North america!
The drinks are premium...and they were very good! We sure enjoyed the blue carribean drink too much. The food was amazing, by far the best we've ever had.
Most importantly, the people (staff) were friendly, hard working. Every night the beach and restaurant were lit up with candles, very pretty. The property itself was kept very clean and beautiful...the trips, horseback riding and the catamaran cruise was so much fun!

It's unfortunate about the storm, I think cleaning up that mess in two or three days is really fast! I'm sure they did their best to get everything cleaned up for everyone.

Loved it!

jenn

11 Thank Cipriano78
Rochester, NY
Reviewed July 5, 2006

My wife and I went on our honeymoon to Couples Ocho Rios in mid-September. The resort was great. We had a gardenview room near the far end of the resort. The room was very clean and our cleaner did a great job. She was also very nice.

The food was pretty good overall, they just need a better selection for lunch. There is only one restaraunt open for breakfast and lunch and then all of the rest are open 6 days a week (except for the beach grill which is open almost all of the time). The lunches were pretty decent, but they got old after a while. The dinners, however, were excellent. I highly recommend the Pan-Seared Snapper in Le Gourmet. My wife still regrets not getting it. She's been trying to find good snapper here in upstate NY ever since our honeymoon. It was delicious. We did Le Gourmet twice and the Italian and Continental restaraunts once each. They were all great.

There was plenty to do around the resort. We really had a great time. I think we did every watersport that they offer, except scuba diving. My wife has asthma and she didn't know that you need a note from your doctor in order to scuba dive. So I was nice and stayed back with her. Windsurfing is tough...I slipped off the board so many times that I thought I broke my tail bone. The snorkeling was great, we saw a lot of cool, colorful fish.

• Stayed September 2005
9 Thank Jonathan B
St. Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 3, 2006

We visited COR for our honeymoon (11/2005). We had family that was married there about 10 years ago, and they raved about it. Unfortunately, we did not have the same experience. The bus ride from the airport was a nightmare -- it took over two hours and was very unsafe. Our room was okay. It was clean, but the A/C didn't work very well and our closet always flooded with water due to the condensation from the A/C. The food was mediocre at best. Breakfast and lunch were repetitive buffets. Dinners at the restaurants in the evening were usually very nice. The drinks were variations of watered down rum and juice. The service from the staff overall was good. Most of them were very friendly and accomodating. The shopping trip into town was a massive waste of time - don't bother, unless you want to be constantly harrassed by the locals. The most disapppointing part of the trip was the weather. We were there during a tropical depression. During one particularly heavy downpour, the entire ocean and beach around the resort flooded with debris from the rivers (see pictures). It totally TRASHED the beach. I realize this was out of their control, but the staff didn't seem to be too concerned about it. We finally figured out that this was common occurrence, so they were pretty used to it. We spent the remaining three days of our vacation watching them scoop up debris off the beach, as all the water activities were cancelled. Our ride back to the airport was just as terrifying as the ride to the hotel. The driver was also late to pick us up, and we hit a lot of traffic on the way out of Ocho Rios. We barely made it to the airport with enough time to catch our plane. Overall, not a great trip. We probably will not travel back to Jamaica and definitely not COR.

36 Thank rmjmphrrt
, vice President of operations at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this review, July 6, 2006
2005 was the most active Hurricane season since records began. Jamaica fortunately was spared a direct hit, but storms that passed close by did cause rivers in Ocho rios to flood. The debris from the surrounding rivers affected our beach 3 times during 2005. We were able to clear the beach with-in 48 hours. Our bars serve premium branded drinks which are most definitely not watered down. However, if you feel a drink is weak ask for another shot Couples is an all-inclusive you are able to drink as much as you like.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 28, 2006

We visited Couples Ocho Rios for five spectacular, amazing days in May. We had never tried an all-inclusive before, but from reading reviews and going on the Couples website we were expecting A LOT! Our trip exceeded all of our expectations and dreams! The ride from the airport was long, but our driver was great and kept us entertained along the way. We were able to get to know some fellow guests at the resort, and ended up spending time with them later in the trip as well. Our reception at the hotel was friendly and efficient - and then we saw our room! WOWOW! We had splurged for a one bedroom suite and it was lovely. The chilled champagne and chocolate tray that were waiting for us were just an added bonus.
I can't say enough about the staff - they were friendly and helpful without being intrusive. Their open smiles, pleasant conversation, and general joie de vivre made every day special. We had only to ask and our requests were answered. We felt spoiled and pampered.
The food was wonderful! The pool party and beach party buffets are guaranteed to add pounds! So much to choose from, and all of it delicious. And the dessert bar - oh my! We also ate at Bayside and Le Gourmet. Our fav was Bayside. Sitting over the water while sipping champagne, watching the sunset, and being seranaded by a roving flutist - what more could you want? Well, I suppose you could also want outstanding food - and you get that at Bayside as well!
The drinks were top notch and delicious. My spouse loved the rum punch and stuck with it for most of the trip. I decided to see how many different drinks I could try! My favorite was Evroy's Delight. Now the trick here, is that only Evroy knows how to make it!!! I had to keep my eye out for him so I could order my favorite again. I often asked the bartender to make me his or her special - and was never disappointed.
We loved that you could be as busy - or as lazy - as you wanted! We tried to do one "event" each day, and then spent the rest of the day lounging on the beach or visiting with others in the pool on Tower Island. We went snorkeling, and learned to Scuba, and did the catamaran cruise, and went to Dunn's River, and on a Canopy tour. And we just barely scratched the surface of the activities available. All the activities were very well run, and we felt well cared for and safe.
An unexpected bonus was the commraderie that is experienced with the other guests. The resort is fairly small, so when you meet a couple on your snorkling trip you are likely to see them again at Dunn's River and at the beach party and floating out in the water! We met so many wonderful people from all over the world and had a great time getting to know them. Yet, it was also easy to be alone - just a couple in love!
A special thanks to the management of Couples for the free massage we received as a gift for our anniversary. We were so relaxed already that I am surprised we didn't just melt into the tables!
Couples Ocho Rios was the perfect place for our 25th anniversary. We plan to be back, hopefully for our 26th!

• Stayed May 2006
20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2006

Couples: Ocho Rios
Date: June 5th-19th 2006
Reviewer: West Yorkshire, ENGLAND.
My husband and I were married at this hotel 10 years ago, so decided we would like to return for our anniversary.
The staff are still as friendly, the food is still as good, and the entertainment was excellent. We enjoyed our 2 week break. We were lucky enough to have a room in the East Wing, which overlooks the ocean, beach and swimming pool. This wing has just undergone complete refurbishment.
The only thing that was not the same as 10 years ago was the peace and quiet. We found it noisy at times with over excited Americans, who tried to take over and some, (not all by any means) seemed to have very little respect for other guests. We feel the hotel has lost something special, which was an intimate and romantic place for romantic moments, NOT for groups of up to 14 people shouting and screaming.
However, we did'nt allow them to spoil our romantic holiday.

13 Thank Britgirl56
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,226 reviews
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!