“Relaxed and Friendly”
Review of Couples Tower Isle

Couples Tower Isle
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed March 3, 2006

Stayed from 16th Feb to 2nd March. Whilst the weather was not the kindest it should have been for the time of year - three days of heavy rain, we found the accomodation excellent, the staff were incredibly friendly and could not do enough for us. The food was excellent with a choice of venue for your evening meal. If you want new plastic chic you wont find it here. You will find old world charm, comfortable atmosphere, relaxation and attention to detail. For those wanting an all over tan in discreet surroundings the island is the place to go. This resort is very much the place for couples wanting a romantic break. We look forward to returning.

15  Thank tonyandandrea

minneapolis
Reviewed March 2, 2006

The resort is great. We just got back from Couples and my wife and I both loved it. Nice people, all with very upbeat happy attititudes. There are lots of things to do. I've been at all inclisive resorts before and normally I feel the food starts to taste the same. Here I enjoyed the food so much that we never even went anywhere else to eat. I will warn you that you could put on a couple of pounds.
It was excellent on every part.

• Stayed: March 2006
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 28, 2006

We returned to Couples Ocho Rios for our second visit. Once again the plane ride followed by a 2+ hour bus trip felt long, but the warm soothing Couples welcome--cool cloths, friendly people, spotless room, helped relax us. Because we were returning guests, we had two complementary Tee shirts on our bed and a gorgeous bouquet of flowers, featuring three brilliant red Calla lillies, with carnations, daisies, and other flowers I did not recognize. The bouquet stayed fresh all week, and looked lovely in the freshly painted room. We kept the balcony door open so that the sound of the waves lulled us to sleep each night. Some of the structure is aging, but we find that it adds to the charm. The floors in our room were made of marble. We also enjoyed complementary massages, and a special manager's welcome meal as part of our returning guest perks.

Our room was made up twice a day, our chambermaid kept it spotlessly clean, room service was always gracious and smiling. We stayed there 7 nights.

Food was excellent, just as we expected it would be. We ate at all the restaurants, lobster on Thursday was very good, Crushed Coconut Red Snapper was delicious, Chicken was very tasty, as were the steaks. The grilled jerk chicken is done to perfection, and the patio buffets were delicious with many choices.

Entertainment was top notch. We loved the steel drum bands, the incredible dancers, and some very talented singers. We also spent time in the piano bar where we crooned with the piano player. Lots of fun!

Spent some quiet time on the island, enjoyed the sun, conversations with others, but mostly we were there to rekindle our romance and enjoy each other's company. We sure did that! We are not big drinkers, so the light alcohol worked well for us. I wanted to remember every detail of this vacation, and not have it clouded by a fuzzy thinking brain!

The staff went out of their way to be helpful. Often they would stop and talk with us, and ask if there was anything they could do for us. They treat you like a person, not an object or an annoyance. Their stress level seems to be non-existant.

On the down side, we did not participate in the off site activities, it was too easy to stay put and be pampered. One of the private hot tubs was out of commission. The wind blew hard one day and all water activities were cancelled for that day due to high waves.

Our return trip was interesting, as an unusual storm had flooded the main road, and we had to detour through the mountains. Now those roads are steep, with many hairpin curves, but the scenery is spectacular. Our very capable bus driver got us to our planes on time, safely, and in good humor. We will return again!

MarynKirk

Stayed: February 2006
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 26, 2006

My husband and I stayed at cor over Valentines week. We had asked to be in a room that wouldn't require excessive walking and found ourselves in the last room furthest from the main building, and on the top floor. The resort itself is in need of a face lift. There is peeling paint, broken tiles, just overall worn out. The shower would become scalding hot with no notice, and turn freezing just as fast. The grounds were overgrown and in need of attention. The first day we were there it rained all day, and the roof of the gift shop had been ripped off, leaving it open to the rain which soaked the floor and merchandise.
Despite all this which was a disapointment to us, we were able to enjoy our vacation. The staff was wonderful and friendly. We thought the food and drinks were very good, especially the 2 resteraunts.The Bayside had a fantastic lobster/steak special for Valentines Day. The activities included in the package were a nice feature. We went to Dunne's Falls, but I was not able to make the climb. We did horseback riding which was fun. The shopping trip was disapointing because it was just more of the same, and the shopowners were not even the Jamaicans which we would have been happier to help out.
I don't consider myself a complainer,but I have come to expect certain standards from a 5 star rating. Having said that, vacation is what you make of it. We were able to find enough good to enjoy ourselves. We would definately go back to Jamaica, but not to Ochos Rios. We would try another Couples, but a newer one.

36  Thank Joy C
Reviewed February 25, 2006

My husband and I just returned from COR. It was our second visit. I thought my memories of the resort might have been exagerrated, but they were not. It was even better. The grounds are beautiful. We had an ocean view room and it was incredible. We had the ocean in front of us and the ocean and mountains to our right. The room was spotless.

The COR might be old but it is beautiful, clean and has a charm and history a newer resort could never have.

The food is fantastic and the Italian Resturant on the Ocean is extremely romantic.

The Staff is not only efficient but also very caring. They make you feel like you are family.

My husband and I would like to thank the Staff at COR for another wonderful vacation and some fantastic memories. We hope to see all of you again soon!

Reed and Jeanette

12  Thank ReedandJeanette
Reviewed February 24, 2006

This was our third trip to Jamaica. We stayed at Sandals Ocho the first time and Grand Lido, Negril the second.

Good things about Couples: The staff is friendly. The activities director is great. The drinks kept you pleasantly buzzed, but one has to work at being drunk which I was trying to avoid so that's good. The food is Ok. It's not like some places in Mexico (I've been to 4 or 5 different resorts there) where the food sometimes is served up on a buffet and you swear it's left overs from last night. The french restaurant and bayside were really good. They were cleaning the pool EVERY single day. We booked a deluxe ocean view. We were put in the main bldg. on the third floor. A palm tree top completely blocked any view. We got in late and didn't unpack, so the next morning I asked if we could have another room. It was no problem. We waited about an hour for the new room to be cleaned and we were moved to the newer building housing 10 rooms. We were on the first floor. As we were walking up I noticed that the balconies of two rooms were really blocked due to some trees (not palms)that were allowed to just overgrow and went crazy. Long story short, we recieved room 25, and as soon as they opened our door I saw that this huge tree was blocking the view. To the point that you couldn't even SEE the island. I said thanks, and unpacked. The view was driving me crazy. Why pay so much more $ to look at a tree? The next morning I'm laying by the hot tub with a friend looking up at my room. The gentleman cleaning the pool came by. I said hi and asked if they ever did any pruning of the trees. He said "sure man". I tell him my problem, he turns around and looks up and says "oh yea". Then he yells at a landscaping guy to come over. The landscaper comes over and says no problem. He'll be right back. OK, I've been to Jamaica before, I know what "right back" means. But oh my god, he was back in less than 10 minutes! Amazing! He had a chain saw attached to a pole that extended. Off to my room we went! I literally cheered as he cut branches, he even asked me what branch I wanted cut next! It was AWESOME! When he left the view was FANTASTIC! When my husband came back and walked into the room he couldn't quit laughing! All kidding aside, my husband says that I improved the room for future guests 1000 percent. All it needed was maintenance.

On the negative side - the beach was dirty. Lot's of cigarette butts. I had to beg for an ashtray, or just made sure I took one down with me. No one was really cleaning it (the beach) every night. I've seen resorts rake the beaches every night and they're great come morning. They seemed to just realign the chairs.

What seems to be the problem is that they aren't refunneling any of the profit back in. (ceramic tiles are broken in more than one hallway, etc.) When we took the glass bottom boat trip, they took us to Couples San Souchi (their new resort) and literally stopped the boat directly in front and floated around in order to give us a better "view" and push the resort. That's where the money is going. The help is truly doing the best they can with what they have to work with.

Will I go back to Jamaica - without a doubt. But next time we're going to rent a villa. We even toured some during a rainy day and obtained tons of info. Much better value for your money. If you do choose to stay at an all-inclusive, I say look around more. I believe you can get a better deal for your money elsewhere. (hence, the villa). But the help IS TRYING, of that I have no doubt.

Bottom line, the food is Ok, the beach is dirty some mornings, ok others, the buildings are old. The rooms were clean, and the linens and drapes, t.v. all new. The room we left was bigger, but older and not updated like the room we moved to. Also, our friend needed a medical fridge for his insulin. It was supposed to be there when we arrived. Our travel agent triple checked, including the day before we left. It took 3 phone calls and four hours before they got it. They actually brought it to our room first, and we directed them on where it should go.

I'd never go back.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I'll be glad to help.

41  Thank maxsmum1
Management response:Responded February 26, 2006

Thank you for your comments. We at Couples are always concerned when we fail to exceed our valued guests expectations. Rest assured your comments are viewed as constructive and can only help us to improve our service standards.
Just to clarify a few points out lined in your observations. Our beach is raked daily by our water sports staff. Our Delux Ocean View rooms are located in three blocks. Your first room was in our main building which was fully refurbished over the last 3 years. Your second room was in our East wing fully refurbished in the last 18 months. The third wing was refurbished in the last 9 months. To state that we do not re-invest in Couples Ocho Rios is simply not true. As you will note from this web site COUPLES Resorts is the highest rated all-inclusive chain in Jamaica. I believe this is due to our excellent service of our staff and offering more inclusions and excursions in our all-inclusive package than any other.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed February 21, 2006

We just returned from COR (11 thru 21 Feb)
Our first trip was for Valentines in 2004 and was intended to be a one time, been there did that, kind of trip. After our first trip we couldn't wait to book for the next year. This was our third Valentine's day celebrated at COR.
Greatest thing about COR, the Staff, the Staff, the Staff. It is hard to believe that at an all-inclusive resort with a very strict no-tipping policy that the Staff will be so attentative and concerned.

Rooms - The hotel was biult over fifty years ago, so the rooms are not flashy and modern but more traditional. Very comfortable and house keeping does a wonderful job of cleaning and preparing rooms without intruding on your stay. Views from all rooms are enjoyable and relaxing.

Beach - The beach is situated in a private cove which is only accesible to guest of the resort, the beach is not large and wide as you would find in Negril, but since only guest are on the beach it is more than adequate without being over crowded, beach is cleaned of debris (palm leaves, seaweed ) every morning and made ready for the day

Tower Island - The resorts' private island for sunbathing in the nude. Located about 100 yards from the beach and accesible by small motor boat provided by and operated by the resort. The island has a small in ground pool with sit up bar (not really big enough for swim up) stocked bar with barkeep, Restroom facilities and plenty of lounge chairs. If you are looking for the Hedonism type activities then you'll be disappointed. Male female only, no male without a female allowed out although women are allowed by themselves. Alot of fun but nothing sexual, just couples drinking, talking, getting sunburnt or relaxing with the one you love renewing the romance.

Main Pool - nothing spectacular, rectangular pool with high dive, no swim up bar, but the main bar is only ten feet away, and the bar staff will revolve around the pool taking orders, so no problems there.

Food - Four restraunts and a snack bar, French and Itailian require reservations which have never been a problem (as long as you don't wait until three hours before), the Veranda which is a sit down menu with Traditional Jamaican, Patio Buffet which offers alittle bit of everything, snack bar located by the beach offers Jamaican Jerk seasoned chicken and pork, cheeseburgers, hotdogs, nachos, and ice cream cones. The food is delicious, and with the wide range of dishes. Fresh fruits and veggies, and DO drink the water it is cleaner than what you get in the states and is wonderful.

Bars - Main bar near the pool and Patio, beach bar located on the boardwalk on the beach, Piano bar open nightly from 6 or 7 PM and stays open until the last person leaves, and of course Tower Isle bar.

Activities - Several off-site tours included, all great. Sailing, diving, kayaks, snorkeling, volley ball and others all availible at the resort, nightly entertainment on stage. Night life has a tendency to die down fairly early 11PM or so, but has been known to go well into the next morning depending on the friends you meet and how long you wish to continue.

Bottom Line - If you are looking for a place to go with the one you love, I don't think it's possible to find a resort that is more romantic,more beautiful, with a staff that is truly concerned with your happiness

28  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#13 of 80 in Negril
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
#8 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!