“Other Reviews Not Accurate”
Review of Couples Tower Isle

Couples Tower Isle
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
A TripAdvisor Member
“Other Reviews Not Accurate”
Reviewed January 17, 2006

After booking our trip to COR, I read several reviews that really downplayed the resort.

I have to say that until we were there, I was quite nervous as a result of those reviews.

Now that we have been, I would recommend it to anyone. The building was very clean and the service was excellent. The food was good and the rooms were very clean.

It is an older resort but that just adds to the charm. I would highly recommend a trip to COR if you are planning to go to Ocho Rios.

At no time did we feel like we had to do something that we didn't want to do. It can be as big of a "Party" as you would like or it can be as private as you would like. It is all up to you...

I would also highly recommend the deep tissue massage at the spa.

The bus trip was about 2 hours long but if you were to fly into Ocho Rios area, I believe you will only save about 30 minutes. This is a vacation and an adventure and seeing Jamaica from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios was part of that adventure. So grab a couple of Red Stripes and sit back and enjoy.....

No Problem Mon.......

Stayed January 2006
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (979)
Philadelphia
Reviewed January 17, 2006

My husband and I were to travel to Mexico for our honeymoon in late October but because of the Hurricane we had to find another destination. We chose Jamaica and Couples Ochos Rios and that was the BEST decision. We had such a great time.

When we arrived, we were promptly given a wet cloth and a drink of our choosing. We were booked for a garden view but when we were walking to our room we realized we were upgraded to an ocean view room in the detached building. It had an oversized king bed, plasma TV and view of the island, ocean and pool area. The room was beautiful. Internet access was also great so we can let our family know how we were.

We did tip a bit but it was not expected AT ALL!! The drinks were plentiful and staff was always at your beck and call.

The food was great. My husband and I really stuck to a lot of the american food since we did not like a lot of the Jamaican food but it was still great. We loved the snack bar area for a late night snack. The breakfast buffet was excellent. We chose to only get room service one day, which was nice.

I could have done without eating at the french resturant, maybe that is just because I dont like french food, but if you like french food, I would definately try it.

How could you not take part in the free activities all week long? We went horseback riding (amazing), dunns river falls trip (Must go), snorkeling, catamarin cruise, craft time, and took advantage of our free massage.

The Jamaican people are so nice and pleasant. The vacation was more than we expected. The beach never seemed crowded or the pool. you can always get a chair or float at any time.

Warnings: Dont go across to the craft shop across the street, you will get hounded to buy things, just buy at the gift shop (believe me). At the airport if someone rolls your bag 3 ft, you are expected to tip them.

Over all our vacation is wonderful and I would consider going back sometime soon. I will post pics soon, if anyone has questions or wants to see pics, feel free to email me.

• Stayed October 2005
14 Thank tamaraallen
Minnesota
Reviewed January 16, 2006

We really enjoyed our short stay here! We originally were booked at a different resort, but upon arriving in Jamaica were told our hotel had overbooked and we were being "bumped" to another hotel. We were very upset, but ended up being pleasantly surprised. Our 3 night stay was a lot of fun. The resort was beautiful, the grounds were well maintained, and the staff was more than friendly. The private island was very unique and a beautiful view from our room. We will return to this resort again.

7 Thank susie1
Reviewed January 11, 2006

Great food, great room, sweet people. Wonderful time. See Pictures!!!

• Stayed December 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 8, 2006

My wife and I have both traveled extensively (him with the military and her with corporate travel) but this is the first time we felt a need to post a review of a resort.

We had read a lot of reviews before traveling to COR, some good and some bad. There is some truth in the negative that we read but after visiting the resort we understand that those people are probably not satisfied with anything, even their own homes. We even read a couple of reviews critisizing the weather at COR. I wish I could control the weather.

We stayed at COR Jan 1-8 2006 and had the time of our lives. Yes the resort is older than others on the island so if you need NEW stuff or you plan to stay inside your room the whole time look somewhere else. If you don't need a totally new building but want to have FUN go to COR. The staff, food, amenities, etc. of this all inclusive resort were all perfect in our opinion and we provide our email address (kevlarbriefcase@aol.com) to provide more info to anyone that wants to ask.

We met a couple from Richmond Va (the islanders) that have been to COR over 50 times in the last 22 years...doesn't that say enough about this resort? They had even brought their adult children there for their weddings. If that is not enough of a recommendation I do not know what is.

We met and became friends with thirteen couples while at COR. Six couples were getting married and they totally loved their COR experience. Four couples were there on subsequent visits because they loved COR. For the remainder of us it was our first time and we loved it too. We all agreed to return.

In 7 days we did not find anyone that had anything negative to say. Doesnt that say it all? We think so! John and Heather from Kansas

To all of our new friends that read this review send us an email and say YA MAN!

• Stayed January 2006
31 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed January 7, 2006

My boyfriend and I just returned from Couples yesterday. We've both been to a few other all-inclusives (a few in Mexico, Renaissance Jamacia Grande in Ocho Rios, etc). This has been the nicest of any of the resorts that we've stayed at. COR had the consistently best food, drinks, and service of any of the all-inclusives we've ever visited. Now, we're both in our mid-20's, which may have also impacted our view of the resort. The week that we were there, there were mainly older (40 y.o +) couples. And, everyone was nice, but our expectations were definately different than theirs.

For example, COR offers a continental breakfast delivered to your room, if you want. We had this everyday, and there were a few times that it was a little late. For us, this was no big deal. If you're on vacation, what's 15 or 20 minutes late? For us, this wasn't a problem, but I did hear a fair number of older people complaining about the delay of the delivery of their breakfast.

Also, a lot of the older people were obviously a lot more high-rolling that we were. As the COR website said that tipping was not permitted, we didn't bring too much along for that purpose. But, we did observe a lot of the older couples tipping most of the servers and bartenders. We still felt we recieved good service, but by the end of the week, it was definately apparent that those who tipped got served faster. Next time, we'll bring along a lot more singles for this purpose.

Finally, the best thing about having all the older people there was that not too many of them took advantage of all the free activities offered. One of the main reasons we picked this resort was because of all the activities. We took advantage of almost all of them, and this really added to the enjoyment of our vacation. We went snorkelling at least once each day, sailing, SCUBA diving, horse-backriding, and on the catamaran cruise. The watersports team was so friendly and very helpful, once they realized that you were there to have fun. They went out of their way to help us sign up and learn how to use the equipment.

Overall, I thought the food was very good, considering that you are on a resort. I wouldn't call it gourmet, but it is consistently impressive. There was always lots of different fresh fruits, a few different meat and seafood entrees, and at least a few veggie dishes. I don't eat much meat, but there was always enough other things to eat. The desserts were always good and changed throughout the entire week. The French restaurant was particularly good, the Italian was pretty mediocre. We didn't eat a the beach grill, but it seemed to have burgers, hot dogs and other food available almost 24/7.

The house-keeping was great. If anything, I would say that the room was almost cleaned too often. Usually, we got fresh towels at least twice a day. Also, there was a turn down service for the sheets. We also didn't use the room safe, but did not have any problems with security.

With these points, I'd definately recommend visiting COR if you're willing to look on the positive. There was a lot of painting going on in our hallway, but obviosuly they're still working on improving the resort. I don't know how this property compares to other's Couples properties, but we were very pleased with this resort.

• Stayed January 2006
34 Thank spunky_m0nkey
Dallas Texas
Reviewed January 3, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Couples Ocho Rios from Dec. 27th, 2005 through Jan. 1st, 2006. I want everyone to know. We had a great time. We had a very relaxing vacation. First of all we were treated like kings and queens. We were waited on by a staff that was friendly and did not mind meeting your needs. The food was out of this world. I know we gained about 5 ppounds. The entertainment was great. The entertainers could sing as well as dance. You were never bored at one of the shows that they put on every night. You could stay up late and dance the night away to the Reggae music. It was so romantic. The resort is a little old but it was clean and had a very nice smell. The housekeeping staff did a great job cleaning our room everyday.

The event that I would give a double thumbs up would be the New Year's Eve Gala. There were cocktails served and appetizers before the meal. Gave other guest a chance to mingle with each other and to meet people that were only at the resort for the party. I give the food an A+ for the night and also the service and entertainment. The ice sculptures were something to behold. Everyone was taking pictures of the one that had been carved into the numbers 2006 to clebrate the new year coming in. We were all given party hats and horns to blow for the new year. We are already making plans to be there this year 2006 at the same time. If you have never been to Jamaica go, and stay at Couples Ocho Rios.

Overall I would give the staff an A. They did a wonderful job and they were happy to serve us. I must admit before I went I was a little hesitant about staying there because of all of the bad reviews. I don't understand how anyone can give this place a bad review. It was heavenly. We enjoyed ourselves and we looking forward to the returning trip. We met a lot of nice people and the staff would always introduce themselves and mingle with the guest. There is nothing I can say bad about this resort. If I did I would be telling a Lie. I hope if anyone is planning to visit this resort don't listen to all the negative reviews I found them to be untrue. Now the ride to the resort took about 2.5 hours but you get to see Montego Bay and Ocho Rios on the way. The ride back to the airport was on Sunday so it only took about and hour and forty minutes. It was all worth it. Go and enjoy.

• Stayed December 2005
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,227 reviews
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!