“We had a great time. Active and fun.”
Review of Couples Tower Isle

Couples Tower Isle
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
San Diego CA
Reviewed September 11, 2005

My girlfriend and I just returned from 8 days at Couples Ocho Rios. I've spent all day today wishing I was still there. We had an absolutely wonderful time. Having read some reviews and thoroughly studying the website before our visit, I would say that the resort matched my expectations exactly. It is not perfect, but it still finds a way to be great. Couples Ocho Rios is situated on a small beach in a very natural, very green area with rainforest type vegetation on the grounds. You are on the outskirts of the town, but normal local life is happening all around the outside of the resort.
This is a resort where you can expect to stay busy and have endless opportunities for activity if you are willing to pursue them. This is also a resort where you can lay all day on the beach or by the pool, in the sun or in the shade. You will have a view of the harbour and the island and a bar within crawling distance of any seat you choose. The Au Natural Island is separated from the beach by the harbour and the nude sunbathers are not in view of the general population. It is your choice on whether or not to indulge in a trip to the island.
This resort really is a place where you can create your own experience. We enjoyed the restaurants. Daytime selections are limited, but the evening dining choices are very nice. The evening entertainment can be overdone, but it is still enjoyable. I would not consider this a "party resort", but you can definitely have a good time. The piano bar is fun. I had my first scuba diving experience and will now be a diver for life (partly because of the awesome scuba staff). I played Squash for the first time. I water skied on the ocean. I played ping pong until my arm hurt. We kayaked and snorkeled in crystal blue water. I laid on the beach and enjoyed a Red Stripe (well, maybe two). I played bingo by the pool. There are many other daily activities planned and available if you choose to participate.
You will meet people who have been coming to this same resort for many years, some who even come more than once a year. You will be entertained by a staff that is doing what they love and somehow never seems to get tired. You will receive wonderful service from large team of local workers. If you are expecting the Ritz, then I suggest you make a stop at the Ritz. It is only about 1 hour away. If you appreciate nice people trying their best and truly succeeding at creating a wonderful experience....make the trip to Couples Ocho Rios. We actually came away feeling like we missed a few things. Our "schedule" never allowed us to make a the evening catamaran "booze cruise" or take a Hobie Cat or windsurfing lesson. Honestly, the only thing I really needed to do more of was relax!

• Stayed: September 2005
16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (3,188)

England
Reviewed September 8, 2005

I was disappointed to see the previous comments about behaviour on the (nudist) island. We've been to Couples Ocho Rios 3 times, and whilst we love it for the food (breakfast & dinner in particular) activities and friendly staff I doubt we will go back.

The first twice the island was great, a really friendly nudist island that (had children been allowed in the hotel) you could have happily taken them there as well. Nude people yes, respect for everyone there, yes 'adult' behaviour - NO.

The last time the atmosphere had changed, I was uncomfortable walking down to the pool (and bar) because of the antics there. I complained, but was told that if I didn't like it I should sit further away.

Couples needs to sort this out, they wil loose their regular clientele if they are willing to accept this behaviour.

• Stayed: March 2004
98  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed September 5, 2005

I'm just going over some of the reviews of the Couples Ocho Rios resort, and am quite surprised at the negative reviews. We were at Couples in January 2005, and I'd go back in a heartbeat. It always amazes me how critical some get over the littlest things. You're traveling to another country, so don't expect North American amenities - that's the whole point of experiencing other cultures, isn't it.

Here's my review, in categories:

Resort: old-style glamour, but very charming. Must have been quite the spot in the 50s and 60s. Could use some renos to some of the rooms, but I wouldn't want to spoil the ambience and the charm - it's part of what attracted us to this spot. Nonetheless, it's very well kept - the grounds and gardens are lush; the beach, albeit very small, is always being cleaned by friendly staff. I'm a beach person, and love to walk and walk - this is not the place for that.

Rooms: our room was an older one (we got a great last-minute deal on a "run of the house" room), but overlooking the ocean. Through a set of french doors, you saw/heard the waves crashing in. During the night, we kept the doors open, and slept to the sounds of the ocean - delightful, and no bugs!

Staff: tremendous, fabulous, amazing, friendly, helpful - I can't say enough about the staff. They were always bending over backwards to serve you. The no-tipping policy certainly works, although we still chose to discreetly slip them a tip - afterall, these people earn so little, tips go a long way to help.

Food: I LOVE to eat. I've been to a few resorts in the Caribbean where the food was not up to par. Can NOT say this about Couples. I thoroughly enjoyed the food. The buffet was so good that we only ate dinner at the a la carte restaurant once - beach party night (regular buffet was closed, and we chose not to eat on the beach, although those who did seemed to have a blast). The italian a la carte restaurant was wonderful - my pasta was outstanding (and I'm very picky when it comes to my pasta). The buffet had a great variety both at lunch and at dinner. The rices - especially the Jamaican - were wonderful, and different every day. The desserts were fabulous - homemade cookies baked fresh every day. I ate, and ate, and ate. Thank goodness for the gym.

Drinks: I'm not a big drinker, but what I did drink was nice.

Gym: Decent gym with a wall of windows overlooking the beach and ocean. Was actually a pleasure to ride the treadmill everyday, with such great sights.

Entertainment: Didn't see much, but we were happy entertaining ourselves.

All in all, I have nothing bad to say about the place, other than the fact I'd prefer a much longer beach to walk on. But if you're looking for a place to sit back, relax and enjoy - this is the place. It was blissfully relaxing, and I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: January 2005
20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 3, 2005

My partner and i chose couples ochio rios for our honeymoon destination after our wedding this july. We looked around a lot to find the right place for us, and even though it streched our budget we went for couples ochio rios, staying in a oceanview deluxe room.

We had read so much and had visited the couples message board and all seemed positive. Were they all talking about the same place? On our arrival at the airport in jamiaca, when we went to the couples booth they said they had nothing relateing to our arrival!! i burst in to tears at that and ater 45 minuets of phone calls they located our booking information and we were on our way.

We were very diiapointed with the room, as it was old, smelly, and half the appliances didnt work and the patio door was stuck and wouldnt open for the first 2 days until maintenance came and fixed the problem. The food was dry, and some of it was left out for ages on the buffet table and after all the bugs flying around we didnt want to risk food poisining.

The entertaiment was dismal, we were there in love but after a few drinks some music would have been nice. They actually make you sit there in the bars with no music not even background till around 9.30pm and then it all ends by 12am. Old we are not [im 22 and my partner is 29]

The massage was ok, but it seemed rushed and the tshirts were too small, they only come in one size and im only a 14 but they were too small. We saw many weddings take place from our balcony and all looked great, but never really saw many married couples raveing about the service they got.

We chose to try the island where you are able to sunbathe nude, and we couldnt believe what we saw. This is not just nude batheing, couples and other couples mixing in adult pleasures to open audeinces were not what we were there for and we made a sharp exit, after this not many people botherd to speak to us it was made clear to us that if you didnt go to the island then you wasnt part of their group and they werent interested in you for that reason.

At night the resort was quiet, apart from loud americans shrieking after 3 bottles of beer. We complained to the staff about the room, food, and the tshirts but they werent that interested. We think the no problem mon is a exuse for poor service.

Finally you pay out to travel somewhere exotic like the carribean and i want to tell others prehaps planning to visit this place for a holiday dont bother, and god forbid you were planning a wedding or honeymoon there. Please please listen to us DONT DO IT!

Stayed: August 2005
145  Thank BrightonisBeautiful
Greer, SC
Reviewed September 3, 2005

After listening to a travel agent, we decieded to go to stay at the Couples All-Inclusive resort in Ocho Rios for our honeymoon. I wished I had gone to another travel agent who knew what they were talking about.

Pros - Nicely landscaped, Friendly staff, cheap rum to bring back

Cons - Old rooms, musty smelling, Cannot safely leave the property so we felt stuck on the resort, drugs offered to us at the airport, extremly bumpy road conditions through poor areas of Jamacia, beggers asking for tips at River Dunns Falls

Even though they knew it was our honeymoon, there was nothing special done for us. The room was OK, but run down. The bathroom was tiny and had a small slab of a porch off the room. As other posters stated, the food was bland, boring and the same every day. All-in-all, it was a very disappointing honeymoon location and I discourage all my friends from visiting Jamacia and the Couples Ocho Rios resort.

• Stayed: February 2000
129  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas,TX
Reviewed August 29, 2005

I recently returned from a week's vacation at Couples Ochos Rios. I think the resort including the food, drinks, and activites are what you make of it. this was my first time visiting Jamaica so I was not very impressed with the town of Ochos Rios, however the resort is relaxing. The rooms are clean and the staff is friendly. Everyone seemed happy to help you & I did not encounter any rude people. The food wasn't anything to brag about. The breakfast choices aren't overwhelming. The same old thing every morning. Your lunch choices are better and dinner was great. I do think the resort needs to improve on the activities. The better activities are not included which can cost you lots of money if your an active person. The "booze cruise" was okay but it only served this bad tasting rum punch. Dunn's River Falls and horseback riding were great. Overall I had a nice time but do not think I would return to Ochos Rios or Couples Ochos Rios. Next time we're visiting Couples Negril.

• Stayed: August 2005
128  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 25, 2005

My boyfriend and I returned last night from our 6 night vacation at Couples Ocho Rios. The staff is without a doubt the best asset that this resort has. They actually know your name and care if things are going right on your vacation. No one seems to mind that they are at work either. We often observed staff members dancing and singing while working. The staff really seemed to want to be there and I think that they truely enjoy their work. We met very interesting guests there from all over the world and had a great time overall. The resort is an older resort but it must have really been something in its hayday. I really enjoyed the ambiance. The rooms were clean and we were upgraded to an oceanfront room without even asking for it. The food was very good and plentiful, but not anything that I would consider gourmet. If you are looking for a comfortable resort for couples where literally everything is included, you will not be disappointed in Couples Ocho Rios. On our fifth night, we went over our finances to find that I had only spent $8 of my money and my boyfriend had plenty money left, but had only spent about $40 including the people we tipped in the US and Jamaican airports. Today is our first back home and it is quite a wake up from our lazy days at the resort. If you are in need of a little R&R, wait no longer...go to COR!

• Stayed: August 2005
#13 of 80 in Negril
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
#8 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!