“One of the two best holidays of my life (so far!)”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Couples Tower Isle

Couples Tower Isle
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
A TripAdvisor Member
“One of the two best holidays of my life (so far!)”
Reviewed January 21, 2005

My husband and I stayed at Couples OR at Easter 2004. It was our first trip to Jamaica. As I say in the title, this was one of our most enjoyable holidays ever and we haven't stopped recommending it to friends. The Caribbean is a fair distance from the UK so you're very tired when you arrive. We waited around half an hour in the airport for the minibus to be ready/other passengers to arrive. The Couples lounge was too small so a few of us sat outside it on our cases - a cool drink would've been great at this point. That is one of only two gripes I had all week. The transfer journey was interesting, in the hair-raising sense, but the roads are undergoing major work so you can't blame the resort for that! On arrival we were greeted with hot towels and champagne and sat overlooking the sea for five minutes - no longer - until someone showed us to our rooms. We had booked a garden-view room but we told them it was our Wedding Anniversary and they gave us an Ocean View. Unfortunately it was in the older block past the pool - no balconies! The rooms are larger because of this and you could hear the sea...but what to do? I love having a balcony to myself. The resort let us look at another room when one became available two days later and we decided to move - so we couldn't later say 'what if?'! This room had a balcony and a newer bathroom...it was a bit musty but you get used to that. Husband couldn't smell it.
Anyway - why 5 stars? Incredibly friendly atmosphere, excellent staff, great watersports (and tutors)- lots of equipment available and easy to get a go on, good choice of dining (I rated the food quality in the middle of the three all-inclusives we've been to), good activities/nightly entertainment, great included trips, lovely jungle jacuzzis (for two people) and more social large sea-view jacuzzis where you can meet people after the beach and before dinner, and even the other guests seemed friendlier than usual! The place becomes your new home (I wish!).
Second gripe was to do with the food and staff attitude on one evening at the Bayside restaurant (Food was not as the menu stated - staff not bothered). If that's the worst that happens in a week, you've had a great holiday, right?!
We don't go back to places because there are always new places in the world to see. We are definitely going back to COR. Even if we have to swim there!

• Stayed March 2005
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (974)
Reviewed January 13, 2005

I've been there 3 times. Let's get something clear. This hotel is nostalgia. If you want prestine walls with no character cracks go somewhere to stay that is not located next to water!! This hotel was THE location for the stars of early film. This hotel is exactly what it is. A fabulous older resort that still shines of glamour. The entertainment crew is wonderful and Ocho Rios is much closer to the off site tours than Negril. I took walks with the excercise guru through the housing developments as he sang folk songs and told us stories of his growing up in Jamaica. The staff is attentive and the rooms are clean. The food was incredible. I would definitely recommend the visit. I will be going back many more times!!

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 10, 2005

Our visit was from Nov 17 thru Nov 22, which is not nearly long enough. This was my husband and my first trip to Ocho Rios and it turned out splendid. We stayed at Couples. The staff is so friendly they seem more like family. The room had a very nice view, although there was little construction going on from the previous tornado. The food execellent. French, Italian and Jamaican, Buffet and all night grill. I can't say enought about Ocho Rios Couples. Except that don't believe all the negative reviews you read. You must go for yourself to see.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 9, 2005

My husband and I went to COR 4/12/04-4/17/04. We had a wonderful time. It was our first time to Jamaica and we didn't know what to expect. I was very satisfied with our choice to stay at COR. We were in room 214. The view was great. The staff was great. Everyone was nice and kind. They knew how to treat you. I was a little dissappointed that I didn't have the swan towles displayed on my bed at my arrival. Someone told me that they did that. COR staff was so helpful. My suitcase was locked by someone at the airport with the keys inside. So I panicked thinking we wouldn't be able to get our things out. My husband called the front desk and they sent some one right away to help. He did a wonderful job. We were able to do a few excursions Dunns River Falls... ( the catermaran cruise was my favorite). It rained while we were there and we couldn't do some of the water excursions but overall I had a wonderful time. We made all kinds of neat things through the classes they offered. We met really nice couples from all over the world and very nice staff at COR. I would recommended COR to anyone. We can't wait to return

• Stayed April 2004
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New Jersey
Reviewed January 9, 2005

My husband and I just came back from Jamaica last night. We stayed at the Couples Ocho Rios and had a wonderful time!
The room may not be what you expect going to a 5-star resort, although it was neat and clean, with a nice view of the ocean from the balcony. We saw some of the rooms were being renovated; so, you may get a really nice room in the future.
The resort is small and private, but you do not stay bored for a minute! There is a great amount of activities included in the package, not counting the billiards, ping pong, squash, and others on the property.
The atmosphere is serene, but if you want to have fun, you can certainly take advantage of all of the activities and of course, the drinks!
We also liked the restaurants on the property. There were 3 specialty restaurants - all unique, offering a range array of good food.
Now, stop reading the reviews and book your trip already! If you choose the Couples Resorts, you will have a great time! We did!

7 Thank NjGirl17
Reviewed January 8, 2005

We went to Couples, Ochio Rios, Jamaica. We stayed the week of December 6 through 13, 2004. It was the best time we have had. I did a lot a research before going. I think I even read about 100 reviews to decide were to go. I just love reading the reviews that trip advisory has. Everything was very helpful in helping me plan for our trip. I knew what days to plan for each activity and for each resturant. I did hear alot of negitive reviews but just like all the other reviews I am not there to spend every waking hour in my room. I want to be outside having a good time and enjoying myself. The room was just like the pictures that I had saw. No bugs, no mold, and our water pressure was A Ok. The water pressure was so hard I could only turn the shower on low, other wise it stung me. (thank goodness I did not get sun burned) All of the food was really, really good. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Anytime we need anything or had a question they were there to help us. I would highly recommond Couples Ochio Rios to anyone. We also got to meet alot of people from all over the world. We did end up meeting a couple on there honeymoon. And we still keep in touch with each other. Our plan is to go back again this year and meet up together. A couple of reminders, take plenty of film, and water cameras, sun screen, after sun lotion, and extra lugage to be able to pack for all the stuff you buy there. The nude island was very pretty. We did go on it, but just to look around. They (resort) took us over there to see it right after it had closed for the day. We did all the water sport and my husband even went scuba diving. It is free but you have to take the clinic class in the pool first, then one dive per day is free. He said it is very hard, but lots of fun and glad he did do it. We had an ocean view, very pretty. (I miss see it) Please don't let the negitive reviews stop you from going. I was worth it and me and my husband said that we liked it better than Mexico, Cuzomel. The only disappiontment that I had was the private hot tubs. They have 2 of them one was very, very hot but no pressure and the second one was cold and no pressure. That would be the only complant that I have. Oh, they also do not have clocks in the rooms. What they told us is if you need to know the time just call and ask them. Dunn's River Falls is a must. Very pretty and fun. And we suggest that if you are going try to go for a week, 4 day is just not enough. We went snorkling, horseback riding, kyaking, hobbie cat, catameran curise, scuba diving, sun bathe, dunn's river falls, shopping, pool side games, night time entertainment games, everything was a blast. Please if you have any questions email me and i will try to help you. Couples Ochio Rios is a wonderfull place to go. Go and have fun.

17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pennsylvannia
Reviewed December 29, 2004

My husband and I were there over Thanksgiving 2004. Our room was average but that is what we paid for so no complaints. The food was pretty good( I am a very picky eater). We had a great time with the entertainment staff..Simone, Aldin, Trace..they were great fun. All the employees we encountered were just so friendly and granted any requests we had. Now to get to Tower Island, I was so nervous about the nude sunbathing but let me tell you it was very comfortable. The folks that were already there made us feel welcome and spoke to us just as if we were all clothed. Daniel and Shawn were the barkeeps on the island and they were great fun as well.We went over every day.
At Couples Ocho Rios, every one spoke to you and while sometimes I had to translate (ha ha) for my husband we communicated with every employee we came in contact with. We went on the Dunn's river falls excursion and it was fun. Ask to be videotaped at the beginning and they will group you together and follow your complete climb. We got the DVD. It is incredible to bring home for us to watch over and over and for others to see.
We have planned a trip in 2005 at Sandals Negril. I hope we don't regret not going to another Couples resort. We are going to Negril this time to experience the other side of the island and another resort to compare. You can not go wrong with Couples Ocho Rios.

10 Thank Jamaicalover
#9 of 85 in Negril
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!