“Couples is Awesome!!!!”

Couples Tower Isle
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Charlottesville, VA
Reviewed August 30, 2004

My wife and I just returned from Couples Ocho Rios (8/22-8/29) and we cannot wait to go back! This place has it all. The food is awesome and available somewhere anytime except between 4am and 7am. The patio buffet is great, but the Verandah, Bayside, and Le Gourmet all must be visited as well. Everyone there goes above and beyond to make sure you are having a great time. Make sure you talk to Captain Kirk at the Bell Station and Aldin in Entertainment...They will take real good care of you...There is always more than enough to do and I have no complaints about any of the activities. As far as the 2 hour bus ride, it is one of the few times you get to see the REAL Jamaica, you get a good chance to see how the people really live instead of what you see in the luxurious resort. If you are getting ready to leave and are worried about the bad reviews, go ahead and email me and I will answer any questions you have. Believe me, I read the same reviews and started to wonder (along with some other guests we talked to) but once we went that all went out the window, or should I say the balcony of rm 122...A few tips before you go>>bring a pen on the plane to fill out your immigration papers>>do not wear a Bob Marley shirt unless you want everyone you see to "hook you up"...take a camera or camcorder on your bus ride from the airport to the resort because you will want you friends and family to see this (the way they live, the way they drive, the way they build roads)...make sure you take cash for tips because you will need to tip the guy who carries your bags from the couples lounge to the bus, the bus driver, and all of the drivers/guides/photographers on your excursions..none of this is required, but most people do it...Make sure you take small bills to the craft markets because if they try to sell you a bunch of stuff for $30, you can pull out a $10, tell them it is all you have, and usually get the stuff for that..especially if it includes some hand carved figures with you and your spouse's names and wedding dates already carved in it...The only thing I would say to skip is the Catamaran cruise...It looks like a great time when it pulls into the beach, but that is only because they stop around the corner and have everyone stand up and dance for a "good show".....What's up to Justin & Katie from Portland, Dan and Kelly from Chicago, and Chris and Becca from 'Bama!!!!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (3,186)

Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed August 27, 2004

Some advice. We had a great time at couples but it would have been better if we would have followed the advice of many previous guests and asked for a room in the main building. They are MUCH nicer. The west wing where we stayed had a soiled headboard and the air conditioning either didn't work or couldn't cool well. They switched us on the third day and everything was rosey. If you want to buy liquour wait until you get to the duty free shops at the aiirport. You will save between 3-8 dollars a bottle from the Couples resort prices. Sunday is the best day for Dunns River Falls. However, its not that big of a deal. We have have been on a couple of cruises and this is by far the best way to go. Cruises charge you for drinks and excursions which can get really expensive. Couples includes all of that in the price which is less than a cruise. The drinks were awsome and they have almost everything you would want including American liquours and Miller beer. The food and entertainment was really good. The french resturant is a must and so are the other two. The sea breeze resturant over the water is romantic at night with the candlelit tables, wine and good food. The nightly buffet is a disappointment. If you are chosing between buffet and one of the resturants - go for the resturants. I liked most of the people who worked there. You could tell sometimes that a person was having a bad day but heck, who doesnt once in awhile. The air conditioning went out twice while we were there, I don't know if this is something that happens alot or not. In closing, if this is your first major trip, you will have the time of your life! If you are travelers like us, you'll have a great time. It was a good mix of young honeymooners and couples who were there for a second honeymoon. Best of luck on your choice! Of I almost forgot, take along large insulated cups with lids and a straw hole. You will be glad you did on the beach to drink soda or beer. The cups they have are small.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 23, 2004

We just got back from a weeks vacation 8/14-8/21/2004 and had the best time we have at any other all-inclusive. We have been to Mexico, Punta Cana, Costa Rica, Bahamas, St Thomas and the list goes on and COR exceded everyother trip.

Yes the hotel is on the older side, it was built in 1949 give it a break. The only thing you will miss is the commercialzation of the newer properties and if you are like me you dont go for commercialzation.

The service is unsurpassed, the food is wonderful, they even had pork ribs like we have here in NC, the off-site excursions are a great value.

Most of the staff have been there for a long time and take pride in the hotel. Also they are beyond friendly. They go out of there way to make you have the vacation of a lifetime which is what we had.

This hotel has more repeats than any of the other 2 Couples properties. There is just something about it the charm, the staff, that really takes the cake.

So if you had any doubts about the place I hope this review has reassured you.

• Stayed: August 2004
9  Thank tvlagent0519
Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2004

Couples, Ocho Rios was superb. Three years ago today (23-08-01) we got married there and had a truly fabulous two week honeymoon afterwards. We couldn't have dreamt of a more relaxed, beautiful and welcoming hotel. The staff were superb and were always smiling. The facilities are second to none and the whole ambience was excellent. Three years later, and we still remember this hotel and our wedding with very fond memories, and hope one day we will return to this truly fabulous hotel. Mrs Fiona Pollard

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Elmont, New York
Reviewed August 18, 2004

We just came back from Couples. August 12th-16th.
Let me start by saying that we are 27 and 28 years old and there were couples of all ages at this resort. Yes, we took the 2 1/2 hour bus ride from the airport ( when we go back we will definately pay the extra $100.00 for the plane ride, it's worth it)
When you arrive you are greeted with a nice cold towel and some well needed champagne, while the band plays you check-in (ANSWORTH the bellman is hillarious, he will make you feel like your home!) All the staff is very nice and helpful. (NO PROBLEM MON)
Our room was #302 a Deluxe OceanView room, It was perfect, deluxe it was. Everytime you leave the room when you come back it is spotless. The nice " Jamaican Aroma" is (NO PROBLEM MON)
The food is delicious, everything you could possibly imagine anytime your hungry or thirsty. By the way you can drink all day all night. We went to the French Restaurant also delicious (small portions, but delicious). We missed the Italian restaurant I had a little to much to drink that afternoon and my "poogie" got sunburnt on the nude island. By the way "poogie" is what I call my fiance :)
Back to the Nude Island it is definitely somewhere you have to visit, once you get over the initial shock of it all, have a couple of drinks.....alot of drinks you are fine. We ended up spending more time on that one. We met a nice couple there J&S from Oregon.
Went on the Dunns River Fall trip. The best time. We paid $25.00 for the tape. They put us in the front of the line and you climbed aaallll the way up. Tape was worth it, they put music to the tape and they show the hotel and differnt aspects of the tour. (Tip: when you get to the airport let security hand check the tape, do not send through any x-ray will destroy tape)
Champagne was delivered to the room one night and we got free wonderful and much needed massages.
All in all this trip really was all-inclusive everything you could imagine we are all ready planning our next trip to Couples.
I'm jealous of all of you on your way there!
It's ok we'll be back soon!

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 16, 2004

OH MY GOD, This place was beautiful, extremely romantic, the employees are wonderful, there are sooo many activities on the resort there really is NO need to leave and spend any money. The rooms were spacious and bright, the property impecably clean, there are people forever working in the background, raking leaves, cleaning this, painting that, it doesn't get in anyone's way, but they are constantly keeping the place beautiful. I loved the fact that whenever John and I wanted a swing, a jacuzzi or a hammock we always found one available at all hours of the day and night.

The food, I had read on trip advisor before leaving of some complaints but I don't undertand why, there is such a variety, every single day, that you just have to be a chronic complainer to find something wrong with it, and in case you don't like the Jamaican food, there is a pit open till 4am, with good ole American burgers and hotdogs with french fries.

I would definitly recommend it to EVERYONE, I would go again except that my boyfriend and I want to go everywhere, I wish they had a Couples in all the hot vacation spots, but we deceided if we're still together in 10 years, we'll go back to celebrate. The air conditioning in the rooms worked just fine, the water pressure was decent, we had room 315 mountain view. Everything is tidy. The drinks just keep coming, and its like, magic liquor, you don't get sick drunk, your just giddy all day.

I witnessed some weddings, they were simple and elegant on their grounds. IT WAS AWESOME, I LOVED COUPLES OCHY.

The Couple's kiosk at the airport is the nicest one. The ride there, can be much to someone who loves to complain or has a weak bladder, but please don't let that deter you from going, the experience at Couples is well worth it. It was like a two hour ride, I personally enjoyed the landscape, talking to the other couple that was picked up with us at the airport, (BRIAN & PATTY), and seeing the locals. our driver's name was Johnny, and he pointed things out along the way, we stopped at a cute little restaurant/store had some Red Stripe, stretched out our legs, then I made us all stop again, cuase I really had to go to the bathroom, he was very accommodating. I advise people to go from Saturday and leave Sunday, the first day of traveling can be tiresome, We got there July 31, we ate dinner and were sleeping by 11pm. and then we left SAturday Aug. 7, at 8:15 to be at the airport in time for our 12pm flight. So we cheated ourselves out of a Saturday.

The walk up the Dunns River Falls was cool, I can say I did it, to do the WHOLE walk you have to start alll the way at the bottom which is the beach, John and I waited for like 5 minutes for our guide, but we got inpatient and just started going up ourselves, we were finished in like 5 minutes, we felt cheated until we realized we didn't start from the beginning, you have to allll the way down to the beach. We were lucky there were no big boats that day, it was a Thursday. I was scared of the vendors, I read too much before leaving, I will say that YES they are pushy, we went through the craft market, (cuase its the only way out) told my boyfriend DON"T make Eye contact, don't let go of my hand, and keep the other one in your pocket. Cuase they put things in your hands, they tell you its for free, then they want a $10 donation, they want to put bead necklaces on you, just be polite say no thank you, I got some of those already, and keep walking, we did buy a cool Jamaican Duffel bag bookbag, from $30.00 to $20.00. that was it. Also, cool was the fact that Couples is kind of away from everything, you don't see other resorts; there are no locals or police on the beach, its the resort in the background, the little naked island in front of you, and miles and miles of water. You can really just relax and enjoy yourself and your mate.

COUPLE OCHO RIOS WAS GREAT AND HIGHLY RECOMMENDABLE.

16  Thank ladythunder777
Reviewed August 9, 2004

To begin with I have to say that if you haven't traveled in the islands or Mexico before, you will probably love COR. I am giving my opinions based on having stayed at all 3 Couples resorts - COR, Couples Swept Away & Couples Negril as well as staying in Cancun, Mayan Riviera, Barbados, St Lucia, Bahamas, Puerto Vallarta, & other resorts in Jamaica.

I am 30 years old and boyfriend is 32.

Yes COR is worn a bit but they are doing some renovating - all rooms are not completed yet and the common areas are not finished yet either. Staff was great - very helpful and friendly and optional excursions such as catamaran cruise (basically a booze cruise) Dunns River Falls and horseback riding were great.

If you want a new resort, go to Couples Negril. I prefer it over COR just because of the incredible beach in Negril and it is only 1 hr 20 min from Montego Bay airport rather than the 2 plus hrs to COR. Couples Negril is only 5 years old this year but it doesn't have the Old World Jamaican style that COR has. Couples Negril is what I call Miami Beach chic - very contemprorary and laid back.
Swept Away is also a great property but only 70 something rooms have tv and that is a problem for us. All rooms at Couples Negril have tv! Not worth paying extra for the ocean category at Couples Negril in my opnion because the resort is so lush it will be partial oceanview at best.

Hope this helps some of you out!

• Stayed: January 2004
#13 of 80 in Negril
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
#8 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!