“Loved it~!”

Couples Tower Isle
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
“Loved it~!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2004

I just wanted to post a quick review...I was a little worried before heading on our honeymoon after reading a few bad reviews. We had an amazing time! Our room was amazing...everything was excellent! We spent a week (Julyl 11-18) at couple Ocho Rios for our honeymoon. We loved the "old hollywood" charm of the place...food, drinks, and accomadations! We will be going the again soon. I would recommend couples to everyone!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (975)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2004

This was our second trip to Couples Ocho Rios. This trip was better than the first. I can't see why anyone would rate this resort anything less than perfect. We started out to the resort about a week ago. We had a little trouble with our luggage and did not receive it until the next day but that was Air Jamaica's fault. When we arrived at the resort around 10:00 a.m. we were greeted with cool scented towels and champagne. I knew from that point that it would be the best vacation we had ever had. Since we were returning guest we took advantage of the free flight from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios. The flight was about 30 minutes and we were at the resort. This is the way to go because it beats a 2 hour bumpy bus ride anyday. We stayed at Couples for five nights and six days and had plenty to do. Our room was wonderful. We had room 204 in the main building and our balcony had a perfect view of Tower Island and the water. We had requested a room in the main building because we were told that they were the nicer ones. We could not have been happier with our room. We participated in all of the activities and water sports. I think one of the best features of this resort is the people who work there. When we first arrived our room was not ready yet so we went to the beach grill to eat. Right away one of the staff (Davis) approached us and introduced himself to us. He makes the omelets every morning and we saw him everyday after that. He would remember us by name and talk to us everyday. We also made friends with one of the bartenders (Diane) who would make us our favorite drink (Pale Face). This was her speciality and no one else knew how to make them. The entertainment staff (Trace and Terri-Ann) were great also. The entire staff was very helpful and friendly. I can not say enough about this resort. We have been back for two days now and I am so sad and want to go back. I would recommend this resort to anyone. If you have any questions or would like more detailed information about something, please email me.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
st louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2004

Well first of all I read for weeks all the reviews some good some bad. So I was skeptical at first.
My boyfriend 26 and I 25.
The bus ride isn't all that bad the roads are being improved besides all the sites to see take your mind off it. We got out of the airport and I saw GOATS sitting right outside the gate!! That's definatly not something you see everyday:)
So after two or so hours we arrived at COR WOW the grounds were beautiful. We were welcomed with rum punch (don't drink too much at first you will get plenty at the Catamaran cruise) or champagne.
Were not so picky but I do like nice things our room 336 was a balcony ocean view room nice but the doors are made out of wood so they swell and they stick. By the time we decided we want to try a different room the were booked. I highly recommend the main buiding there newer rooms.
I am very picky about food but I loved the food, Bayside was the best out on the water, if you can go at 6:30 to watch the sunset.
There is so much to do from exersice classes to water sports, the spa, to sitting on the beach all day. We recommend Dunn river falls and buy the video it's $25 and it's worth it.
We met a few couples that were going to keep in contact with and we all plan to come back together.
I hope this review was helpful remember it's your vacation relax and enjoy it!

4 Thank workoutnut
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2004

Dont let the title spoil any chance you get to go to this resort. We got back a week ago and had an absolutley fantastic time. Anyone on this website who writes a bad review needs to chill out!!
The beach isnt big but its private from locals and the pool is as relaxing as it could be. There are numerous daily activities to keep you busy (and amused) The food and service was superb especially liked the poolside party with steel band playing. We had a lovely room with aircon and satellite tv. The whole place is a relaxing, laid back atmosphere and it comes highly recommended. My only advice is that if you dont like people from USA be prepared as its 95% of them and dont they like you to know it!!!!!

4 Thank mp27uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2004

My husband and I (which our in our mid twenties) just returned from COR (June 13-18, 2004) for our honeymoon. After reading all the mixed reviews I was a little nervous about choicing COR but excited that it was our honeymoon and our first all-inclusive vacation.

Let me first say that everything was more than we expected. We loved COR!!!! Yes, like everyone has said the hotel is dated but we wanted something that was smaller and personally to our needs. We had a great room, (Room 206 in the main building) over-looking the ocean. The food was great, especially Bayside and Le Gourmet. Most of our time was spent at the beach and the pool. I would definitely recommend all the activities like snorking, Dunn's River Falls, Horseback riding, and Shopping execursions (be prepared to tip the tour guides at the outtings and when you go on the shopping outting be prepared to bargain)!!!

Over-all this was our first vacation together and it was well worth every penny. We definitely want to come back to COR or check out the other two Couples resort in Negril next year.

We definitely want to recommend this resort to any couple that wants an intimate vacation!!!!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sheldon, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2004

My husband and I went to COR the last of February. We had a wonderful time!! I don't know where all these negative reviews come from. The bus ride was interesting to say the least but upon arrival we were greeted with cold, rose scented towels and a glass of cold champagne. We enjoyed all types of wonderful food, and the service was wonderful. You would never get waited on like that here in the states. Everyone was friendly and helpful. The furniture was of a different era, but we liked that. It was more like old Hollywood, who wants brass and glass? We have never had a more relaxing vacation. The only negative experience was with the vendors at Dunn River Falls. I think some of the people who write the negative reviews are just picky and unhappy people. I would recommend COR to anyone!!!

4 Thank Toothy43
West Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2004

This was my 4th time in Jamaica and second to Couples Ocho Rios. We were last at this hotel 3 years ago. We loved the place the first time and were eagerly looking forward to going back. What a disappointment!

The standard of the food and drink has dropped significantly. Previously I would have described the food as good or perhaps even excellent (especially Bayside - the Italian Restaurant). Now I'd say it's very average and bland. Even the Jerk doesn't taste of much!

The service was fine but everything was rehearsed rather than being the natural laid-back friendly Jamaican style that is used to be (and that we loved).

The building itself is fine, although it is an old building it has a certain (old colonial style) charm. We were initially given a ground floor mountain view room in the south wing. There's actually no such thing as a mountain view it just means you don't get a sea view! Our room was right in the corner and looked out onto a gravel path and some utility building. It was a reasonable size but we asked to move as we didn't like the view (or lack of). We asked for a room in the East Wing and they looked surprised by this. Not many people ask to move to those rooms as they're smaller than the other rooms and the least modernised but they have a great view over the sea (just make sure if you're in the East Wing that you're on the second floor). We actually managed to get room 26 which was the same one that we'd stayed at last time.

The hotel seems to be targeted as a slightly younger (and probably less fussy about the bland food and watered down drink) than it used to be.

The entertainment was the usual hotel rubbish but I don't choose my hotels by that.

Don't get me wrong this is not a bad hotel it's just nowhere near as good as it used to be and I feel it's no longer worth the money. Previously I would have rated Couples higher than Sandals/Beaches (based on having stayed at Beaches Grande Sport last year) but I'd now say they're about the same or perhaps slightly better at Sandals.

Next time I'll try Strawberry Hill I think!

16 Thank fordster
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,179 reviews
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!