“Great Vacation”

Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Carnegie, Pennsylvania
“Great Vacation”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Beautiful beach a little rocky, rooms were nice nothing amazing. Overall the hospitality was great with food options 24 hours a day. Buffet was always full of great options and room service offered some great options.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank treeves1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (995)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We have just returned from 2 weeks at couples tower isle. I can honestly put my hand on my heart and say it was the most relaxing holiday ever, we didn't want to go home could have easily done another week.
I will start with down side,
location. 2 hours drive from airport, after 9 hour flight just wanted get in hotel but 2 hours traveling but when we saw the view in morning the 11 hours traveling was worth it.
There is not enough shaded areas on the beach or by the pools, no parasols to give you shade, the only shade is the palm trees.
The corridors and rooms are dated, I read in a review that the corridors reminded them of hospital corridors and I agree, but you don't stay in corridors so hey Ho.
You can't go topless on the beach or around the pools, you can go au natural across the island, but only couples can go across, my husband didn't want to go so I was disappointed that I couldn't use the facilities.
Now the positives
The staff are so friendly and helpful, always smiling nothing is too much trouble.
The food is 5 star +
8 Rivers is the best place to dine the service and food is amazing and what you would expect from 5 star hotel.
We ate in the main dining room for buffet food, for breakfast and lunch and evening meals, again service and food amazing fresh made in front of you, get on the pasta station the cook does it in front of you really tasty.
Oden the waiter was so helpful and friendly he served us most lunch times and evenings, could have bought him home with us if we could, like younger son, couples should be so proud of him.he's got potential to go far.
Veggie bar was good, the burger bar was good.
We tried the Asian rester aunt and were really disappointed.
The beef was tough enough to use to resole your shoes, rice was dry and the girl who served us was not polite or helpful, I ended up going fetch wine from the bar, she kept looking at her watch, after 5 mins into our main meal we left, on speaking to other guests their experience was entirely different from ours so give it a try, our meal was booked for 8.45 so could be go early food won't be dry and tough ? I don't know I can only go on our experience.
The bar staff very good, burger the waiter who brings you drinks on the beach was always up and down keeping us refilled on drinks.
Tanishya who does the towels with Tappa was also lovely, both do good job.
Delroys and Troy keep beaches clean and tidy, watch out for the rocks hidden under sand around trees very sharp husband cut his foot open needed to see nurse, would recommend wear shoes that you go in water with also as there is some glass about in the sea.
Husband went snorkelling in the sea he said it was amazing, you can use resorts snorkelling kit, but he took his own.
All the water sports are included in price, I we used glass bottom boat, snorkelling,sail boats, and I went out few times on diving boat.
The entertainment isn't up to much for 5 star I would expect more. Disappointed with this.
Only got bitten once which is a bonus as my hubby usually gets eaten alive.
The housekeeping is Excellent we had clean sheets every day towels changed twice daily, again 5 star + we left items out and nothing went missing.
We used the spa facilities twice , hot bamboo fist time so relaxing and hot stone and facial next time, the downside to spa is that it needs updating, it's got ladies and gents steam room , hot tubs can't use them together? Which I found strange as other 5 star spas we have used can be used by both sexes.
Mimi bar and room is excellent. You can ring for mini bar and it's with you within 5 mins.
Weather was good had rain nearly every day for first week, but it was only in afternoon and sun came straight back out, it's what you can expect for Caribbean in sept / Oct.
Tip I would suggest is don't go in swim up pool bar. Our room was located by it and we noticed that people were in there from 9-6.30 without getting out to use toilet. Even though they appeared to be drinking plenty of fluids, they must have good bladder control.
We will defiantly be back to couples again but next time I want the sea view suite room 3316?

Room Tip: Go for a sea view on top floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Angela T
Couplesops, Manager at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
We sincerely appreciate the review of your recent vacation at CTI and are proud to have made it the most relaxing holiday ever. We pride ourselves in providing exceptional service and your review is testament to this. While the ride from the airport is approximately 2 hours; the scenery from the airport is breathtaking and it gives visitors an opportunity to see different parts of the island. We have noted your comments regarding shade on the beach and would like to assure you that additional shade sails will be installed. The hotel was built in 1949 and underwent extensive renovations in 2009. Our maintenance team works constantly to keep the resort in pristine condition. Topless sunbathing is allowed in a designated area at the end of the pier on the Main Beach. We regret that your experience at the Bayside Restaurant was not favorable and have forwarded your comments to the Chefs. We look forward to your return visit in the near future.
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Our friends are big fans of this resort and they kept telling us to check it out. We travel a lot and see a log of properties as travel agents and this resort really impressed us. The service we received was excellent. You have to check out Eight rivers restaurant it was our favorite.The food was awesome all around. We stayed in the Superior ocean view on the 4th floor, a little bit of a walk from the lobby but defiantly worth it. Our room was very clean and comfortable but our balcony and the view was the best, very private and roomy. A couple of things to know before you go. This couples includes a free tour to Dunn's river falls, a free cameraman cruise, a shopping tour and also a trip to Margaritaville. They also have an au natural private island that you can visit by boat ride from the resort.

Room Tip: Superior ocean view room or higher.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Becca D
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Just got back from spending 7 amazing days at CTI. This was my second time in Jamaica (though it had been about 15 years), my husband's first, and we both just fell in love with the country, the people, and the resort. Everyone was so kind and warm; we felt like we were guests in their home, not just staying at a vacation resort. The food was outstanding (especially the jerk chicken in the grill!) the drinks were strong, and the entertainment was top-notch. We have friends who come to CTI every year, now we see why. I can't recommend this place enough.

Room Tip: We were in room 2209 (by the main pool). You could hear all the activities going on (the pool party...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank atb13
Dallas, TX
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We recently returned from an 8 day stay at Couples Tower Island. We last stayed at this resort 10 years ago and in the interim the resort underwent a major remodel to make it a substantially new experience this time around. Overall we had a fantastic stay and would return again.

We completed the pre-check in prior to our arrival and our room was stocked with the mini bar items we requested. In addition we were given our repeaters gift, dinner invitation and confirmation of our resort credits when we checked in. Our room, a one bedroom suite (3216), had a spectacular view of the beach and the island and was far enough away from the main lobby so as not to be loud but close enough to be very convenient. The room included only basic toiletries: lotion, soap, shower gel and a “conditioning” shampoo. Wi-Fi was free across the resort and we had an excellent signal throughout the lobby, halls, beach area and on our balcony, unfortunately we were not able to receive a signal inside our room. We were content to check email and keep up with home on the balcony so this was not a problem.

We had no issues getting reservations for any of the restaurants. We never did eat at the patio for dinner (not a fan of buffets) but we ate at all the others at least twice. Eight Rivers (which requires long pants and closed shoes for gentlemen) was by far the best meal. The others were excellent as well but Eight Rivers really blows them away. The setting over the water at Bayside can’t be beat and the Pad Thai was very good as well. The Veranda was also quite nice although it could be quite crowded as it does not require reservations. We did use our resort credits for a private dinner on the island one night. At $240 it includes a photo in a frame and a menu that featured steak and lobster and can be customized. Dinner starts with champagne and canapés on the dock before the 2 minute boat ride to the island. We were the only ones on the island that night and it was very special and romantic being all alone out there. The wait staff is very discrete so you really experience the privacy of the island.

Breakfast at the patio each day is largely the same but offered a wide variety including a breakfast pizza which is our new favorite. The beach grill was just ok – I did not care for their jerk sauce (sweet when it should be spicy) so we wound up at the Patio buffet most days for lunch. The Veggie Bar is great for a quick snack of chips and dips and smoothies. I did fall in love with popcorn on the beach afternoon from the Beach Grill. Room service and minibar service was always prompt. The food arrived hot although the drinks and champagne did not always arrive cold.

The beach is small but adequate. I did notice quite a few lounge chairs without the floatable cushions, I do hope that is remedies soon as it was difficult to find one some afternoons. There is not a ton shade on the beach, the palm trees don’t give much shade until afternoon and the canvas shade structures are back from the water over the third row of loungers. The water was a bit rough the first half of our trip but was calm and beautiful the last few days. As you step into the water there is a patch that is a bit rocky but only enough that you needed to step with care not enough to need water shoes. The water also gets deep very quickly; I am on the shorter side and was over my head about 15 feet from shore. We never spent any time at the pools or on the island so I cannot comment on those.

The spa is very nice set amongst the trees and plants in the front of the resort. We had 2 couples’s massages which were very nice and relaxing but would not be confused with a deep tissue or therapeutic massage. We found the hot tubs to be way to hot but there is a men’s and women’s available and the Buddha pool was very picturesque but we never saw anyone use it.

We also managed to squeeze in 9 dives during our trip. The dive team was first rate. Colin led most of the dives, and while a little disorganized, I can truly say that I do not believe I have ever met someone who so obviously loves his job before. Every day was a joy; he really cared about each and every diver and made sure everyone, regardless of skill level, was comfortable and enjoyed the dive. The rest of the dive crew Chris and Linc were very personable as well. They learned your name quickly and called out to you whenever you ran into them.

The overall layout of the resort is very compact which lends it more to socializing as you tended to run into people over and over again. We had a couple of minor issues but nothing that detracted from our stay. We found the staff to be the friendliest of any Jamaican resort we have visited. We returned from our week relaxed, tanned and happy.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank AAS
Cincinnati
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My wife and I went there for our Honeymoon in June and had a great time. You can tell the hotel is starting to show it's age, but it was well maintained and the staff was excellent! Only complaint was that the AC in our room didn't put out the arctic blast we were expecting after being hot sun all day, but after enough cocktails that wasn't a huge issue. I think we just had an unlucky draw of rooms, as other couples rooms AC worked great. All in all it was a great trip because of the fantastic staff, good food (breakfast pizza was amazing), and great drinks.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank elliottc323
Couplesops, Manager at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
We are pleased that you chose CTI for your honeymoon and that you gave us the opportunity to host you for this very special occasion. Your comment regarding the AC unit in your room has been noted and has been passed on to the Engineering team. Your positive comments are appreciated and we do look forward to hosting you again for another special occasion.
Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I have never been an all-inclusive concept lover. My stay at the Couples Tower Isle changed it.

Yes. I loved it! Great staff. Always helpful, always smiling and always trying to be there for you. The views from the spacious room were spectacular. The food was delicious and various restaurants provided opportunities to try something different every evening.

I appreciated the fact that the hotel made an effort to encourage the quests to visit the neighborhood and the sights, as it would have been so easy just to relax and stay at the private beach. The water sport activities included is truly amazing; scuba, windsurfing, water-skiing, snorkel, kayaks, stand up paddle etc.

The only minus comes from the fact that my room smelled of tobacco smoke.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!