Our wedding at Couples Tower Isle is the most delightful experience my husband and I have ever shared. We decided to get married in early January, which happens to be a lovely time of year...when you’re in the tropics. And in retrospect, we wouldn’t do our wedding any other way.
Our wedding budget was limited, so we made an original booking and eventually canceled it in lieu of a random, significantly less expensive Wednesday Escape 93 days before our selected travel dates. (Changes can be made as close as 90 days in advance with no penalty!) Airfare was the next challenge, and after a great deal of research, we found that airlines are least expensive approximately three months before travel, on a Tuesday, before 3:00 p.m. Also on a financial note: bring somewhere between $100 and $300 in small bills for tips and souvenirs. Unless you want some Jamaican currency as a keepsake, it’s a pain to change money over, and the ATM at the resort wouldn’t process our request for no apparent reason, so we found ourselves very limited in our purchases due to not having enough small bills. ($1’s and $5’s.) The resort brings in a vendor each day, and they frequently have lovely artwork for sale. Trust me, you’ll want more money than less.
Descending onto the island of Jamaica was a spectacular view by air, and I was truly surprised to see how mountains just rose up from the sandy shores! Once we got past customs and into the Couples Concierge, we enjoyed water and Red Stripe on tap (Much nicer than the bottled Red Stripe found in your local grocery.) and we were escorted as a group to a van, which transported us to Couples Tower Isle. Despite the lengthy ride, the driver delivered fascinating facts about the area, and we were not bored. We were greeted at Couples in the classic Couples way, with a cool, damp cloth for our foreheads and necks, and a wonderful fruity beverage. From the lobby was a view of the ocean and the sea breeze calmed me like nothing else could!
My then-to-be husband and I chose to change quickly to more airy attire and we joined a tour right away, which we would recommend, because knowing where the essentials are and how to access them helped us ease into the resort immediately. We then enjoyed dinner at Eight Rivers, where it happened to be lobster night, so we dined on the best lobster we had ever tasted! (By the way, any and all of the bisques at Eight Rivers are also guaranteed to be the best you’ve ever had.)
The week flew by. Because of the wedding and all of the arrangements pertaining to the event, we did have appointments to keep, so we couldn’t totally forget that time existed. But the wedding was spectacular. The spa where I had my hair and makeup done by the talented Tracy - who rushed in on her day off to take care of me - was beautiful, cool, and calming. And Latoya, the wedding planner, is so sweet. While I was preparing to walk down the aisle, I was focused and collected, which was a wonderful state to be in when you’re about to vow to spend your life with someone. We got married by a sea wall, under a solid wooden trellis with a view of Tower Isle in the background, and it was shady and private and lovely.
Unfortunately, the ocean was very turbulent the week we visited. Normally, around Tower Isle, there is a reef that breaks the large waves and keeps the waters at the beach quiet. However, we experienced such choppy water that full palm trees washed up on shore, and every day was a red flag day, meaning all of the water activities were off-limits. Never fear! My husband determined that was reason alone to visit again this year! Instead, we took frequent walks around the resort (He and I love to walk and talk!) and spent a good deal of time reading while resting on the sandy shore, Hummingbirds (My favorite mixed drink of all time!) in hand.
The dining was spectacular! We tried all of the restaurants and returned to many of them as frequently as possible. I wanted to eat all the time, and normally, I have a small appetite! I still crave the foods that I experienced. Every dish was bursting with flavor, and if Couples produced a cookbook of their signature dishes, I would go to every end to try to replicate what I had the pleasure of tasting there. Chocolates are a scarcity during some seasons, so I didn’t partake in many rich desserts, but I had no room for them anyway. (By the way, chocolates are always a favorite gift to the staff since tipping is not allowed, and trust me, this staff is so fabulous that you will be devastated to have no good way to thank them.)
My husband and I loved Couples. We still often wake up in the morning and admit that we dreamed about being there – again. We have already booked our return trip for next year, and intend to vacation there every year on our anniversary. I can’t think of a better place to go to keep the romance alive and thriving.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playground to Hollywood celebrities in the 1950s, glamorous Couples Tower Isle exudes a chic sophistication perfectly balanced by a relaxed Caribbean sensuality. Perched on the lush terrain of Ocho Rios, Jamaica—the resort seduces with breathtaking sea views, a wide sandy beach and century-old palm trees. Discover the joys of snorkeling among the reefs, windsurfing on the waves, or sailing into the sunset on a catamaran, rum punch in hand. Intricate blue tile work and jade chaise lounges offset the striking white retro architecture. Luxurious rooms boast private ocean-breeze balconies. Whether being pampered in the Zen-inspired spa—recognized as "Best in the Caribbean" by Travel+Leisure—sipping cocktails at the piano bar or indulging in an exquisite meal alfresco, Couples Tower Isle creates countless intimate moments that inspire you to return again and again. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Couples Tower Isle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Couples Tower Isle Hotel Ocho Rios
- Couples Hotel Ocho Rios
- Couples Ocho Rios
- Couples Hotel Isle
- Couples Ochos Rios
- Ochos Rios
- Couples Tower Isle Jamaica/Ocho Rios