“Getaway”

Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Leesburg, Virginia
“Getaway”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed from Jan 26 - Feb 2nd. The resort itself is a bit far from the airport, a good 2 hr bus ride. The bus ride was not bad and met some really nice people on the way and we stopped 1/2 way to use restrooms. This was my first time at an all-inclusive resort and not sure I would come back here. Overall the resort is nice and the staff was very friendly. But it is small and there were limited activities to do there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank cjbyogi1
Couplesops, Manager at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for choosing Couples Tower Isle for your vacation and providing us with your constructive feedback. We are glad to know you enjoyed your vacation for the most part. Please note that Couples Tower Isle has the most inclusions compared to other resorts in this area. We boast inclusions such as a Catamaran Cruises, Dunns River Falls tour, Glass Bottom Boat Tour, Unlimited Golf (transfers and green fees included) Margaritaville and Shopping. There is a wide array of water sports activities included in your package such as Glass Bottom Boat tour, snorkeling, sailing, kayaking, and windsurfing. In addition we provide many exciting social activities. We sincerely hope you return at some time in the future so we can rectify your first experience by replacing it with an excellent one.

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (998)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Six of us (three couples) visited Jamaica the first week in March for a week and stayed at the Couples Tower Isle. First of all, I would like to start off by saying...Do not pay attention to some of the bad reviews regarding the bus ride from the airport to Couples. We were very concerned because of a few of the reviews, however, those fears were immediately relieved within two miles of the airport!!

We landed at the airport and was immediately taken to the Couples little section of the airport for a cool washcloth and drinks. It was really nice and they took our luggage and before we knew it, we were boarding the bus to take us to the Couples Resort. The bus driver was awesome and his driving was great. He pointed out many areas of Jamaica and we were able to get a guided tour of many areas of Jamaica. The ride was a good hour and a half, but we were so interested in what we were viewing, we did not mind the ride at all!! He did give us the opportunity to stop for a break and to use the restrooms, but no one on the bus needed to stop and we just wanted to get to the resort!!

Once at the resort, everything was very relaxed and everyone was so happy!! As soon as we got off of the bus, we were treated to another cool washcloth and anything you wanted to drink. Everyone was happy and bubbly and we were in our rooms within 15 minutes!! Our travel agent reserved the deluxe garden rooms for us. Upon reading the reviews before we left, I wanted to upgrade to the Ocean front rooms, but we decided to wait until we arrived to do this because we were afraid something would go wrong and we also wanted to decide once we viewed the rooms. Well, the garden rooms are nice, but once we viewed the ocean view rooms, we knew we wanted to upgrade. We had to stay one night in the deluxe garden rooms as the ocean rooms were not available until the next day. I would highly recommend you just book the ocean view rooms right from the beginning, because for the bit of extra money....it is very worth it! Ours were $27.00 difference a night which was well worth it to us. The rooms were bigger and the view was spectacular!! We slept with the french doors open all night and the sound of the ocean was amazing!! We were in rooms 3308, 3312 and 3318 and everyone of them were great. The last two had bigger balconies, but they were all nice. Make sure you get at least a 2nd story room as the view is much better. Our room was situated directly across from naked island and above the sailboat area....we felt was an awesome area!! As far as the naked island (we nicknamed it "wiennie island") goes........what happened in Jamaica, stays in Jamaica!!!!

Everything about this resort was first class!! The people who were serving you did exactly that!! They served you. They were so nice and responsive to what you liked and wanted. The refrigerator in the room was stocked two or three times a day and it was all included. My husband likes rum and I like Gin, so the man brought us whole bottles to keep on our bar throughout our stay. The mixers were whatever you wanted.

Let's talk about the food!! Oh my!!! It was simply amazing. The restaurants that are included are amazing. Bayside is so different....my husband does not really like Asian, but he wanted to go back there!!! It was so very good. 8 Rivers Restaurant was first-class, five-star dining all the way. I swear we had eight courses and everything was fresh and delicious. The Veranda was a great place also!! I had the best red snapper I have ever had in my life there!!! The Patio Restaurant was the buffet (the go to when you were not going anywhere else). I have never seen a buffet like it! Every breakfast, lunch and dinner was something different. We learned to try new things and the only thing I didn't like was the scrambled eggs. (they make them different in Jamaica!!) lol There was another place that was open basically 24 hours a day and it was a little pool place that served sandwiches, hamburgers, hotdogs, etc. and the best jerk chicken ever!! Also had popcorn, nachos and cheese and ice cream there whenever you wanted it. Make sure you make your reservations for the dinners at the restaurants as soon as you arrive!! Also for the catarman ride because it gets booked fast.

Let's talk about the drinks!!! Simply amazing! The drinks were more than what we ever expected. There was a "drink of the day" which were so good. And I will tell you, they were not skimpy on the quality!!! We were more than pleased with what we were served. The women even asked for less licquor as sometimes they were a bit strong. The swim-up bar was so much fun. We nicknamed it the "pee pool"!!!! lol

The beach was small.....it sure was, but it was beautiful! It was nice that they had mats for everyone and you could use them in the ocean or in any of the pools. The other pool was nice also, it was a bit cooler, but it was very nice. It was more quiet than the swim-up pool, which was nice for relaxation. Even tho the beach was small, it was clean, blue and so very warm. They served you drinks at the beach and we enjoyed ourselves!!!

Another thing that was nice was this resort was not real big. It was perfect. You could be anywhere within the resort within five minutes and they had two nice shops to shop in that had anything you basically needed. They also had vendors come in here and there, so watch for them, because their goods were really nice. ONe tip....if you really want to buy jewerly, or coffee, or fudge, or even clothing, wait until you go back to the airport. Book your shuttle a bit early and the shopping at the airport is so much nicer and it is basically the same price. I found a bracelet I had wanted but did buy there and it was actually cheaper.

The activites were also very nice. And, they were all free. We went to Dunn's River Waterfall, which was so much fun. YOu do need to tip the people there, but it was so worth it. They madey our day!! We also did the catamaren (sp??) and it was a real party!!!! So much fun swimming in the caribbean and the food and the rum!!! We did windsailing and that is a must!! The snorkeling was not as extensive as we have had other places, but it was very nice. We basically did all the things that came with our package and it was all so worth it. The entertainment at night was all really nice, but one bad thing was most of it started at 10:30PM, which after a day of sun, drinking, eating and doing everything you wanted to, it was tough to stay up that late!!! But, everything was planned out wonderful and the staff does an awesome job. They had things basically going on all day long. The shopping trip was nice but if they would of just taken you to the last stop alone, it would of been much better. The Taj Mahal was really nice, but the flea market was horrible. The people were nice, but this is their only means of a living and they wanted you to buy their stuff so they were....well, I don't know the word to use, but I had to get out of there!!!! lol I would suggest staying on the bus when you stop at the flea market......unless you like that sorta thing.

We scheduled a photo shoot and that was very nice. The photographer was awesome and the pictures we got of the six of us together and then us as couples were amazing!! He took his time, took us to three places including the beach, gardens and other areas and took extra care to be sure we looked great and nothing was out of place. It was fun.

The spa was great....highly recommend you do a service......a very quiet, peaceful place.

One thing I will add about the couples resort, and we all noticed it, is that they never say no to you. Example.....we did the photo shoot and they also go around all week and take your pictures doing things like the beach, or the beach party, etc. and they put them all in a folder for you. The total CD costs $300.00 for 100 photos, which is quite a bit for each couple to buy. So we asked them....can we each pick out photos and put them on one CD and the three couples could split the cost.....they said YES!!! Where would you ever get that service anywhere else!! Not where I live, that is for sure.

Did I mention the beach party.....it was so much fun and the food was out of this world!!!!

Friday night is lobster night.......all I can say is....OH MY!!!!!!! All you want to eat....no questions.

One last thing.....tipping. The only tipping that is really required is the bus driver taking you to and from the airport and the bus driver on the shopping trip bus. Also, the guide at Dunn's River Waterfall. Other than that, it is not asked for. However, once you see how well they treat you and how they go out of their way to treat you special, you cannot help but give certain ones tips. To cover this, we got $50.00 worth of one dollar bills and that was what we used. They were so very happy to receive this and it made us feel real good.

I could go on and on, but I just want to leave you with one suggestion.......DO IT!!!! DON'T HESITATE TO BOOK AT THE COUPLES TOWER ISLE!!!! You will not be dissappointed!!!

Room Tip: Ocean-front in the middle of the resort. If you want a more quiet room, book ocean front above the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Debi M
Urbandale, Iowa
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I visited Couples Tower with a group of my friends from 23Feb13 - 02Mar13.

Overall, it is a nice place with good food, but with FANTASTIC people. The mission of every member of the staff is to ensure you are having a great time and are well taken care of.

Accommodations: The place was very nice, with great views of the ocean from nearly every room. You could tell that some of the rooms needed a little TLC (paint, new hardware on doors, new trim, etc.) but overall the rooms and the common areas were very clean. The rooms were not overly big, but it each one has a fully stocked bar, fridge, and large balcony.

Food: The 3 restaurants were very good, usually 4 to 5 delicious courses. Note, most of the food is spicy, which was fantastic for me. The buffet was decent, but best at dinner time. The veggie bar was by far the best for lunch. My only complaint was that the hours for the buffet and restaurants were kinda weird (lunch buffet started at 12:30). I would have preferred that it started earlier, but it was no big deal.

Activities: They had lots of fun activities like kayaking, tennis, yoga, catamaran, golf, etc. etc. I wish I could have gone to the nude beach, but the wife was not up to go with. One of the most interesting activities was the crab races where you bet on live crabs racing. It was really fun.

Overall, my wife and I stayed at the Sandals in Ocho Rios and we both agreed that the food and accommodations may have been a bit better at Sandals, but the people were so great at Couples. From the waiter who used his lunch break to get my wife her favorite soda to the chef who made us his special coconut treat, the people there were fantastic.

Room Tip: Ocean side has best views, rooms to the south are quietest.
7 Thank NickL712
Moosonee, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This was my husbands and my first time staying at a Couples resort and loved it! The experience from start to finish was amazing and definately would book another Couples vacation in the future. The staff go out of thier way to make you feel like you are the most important person in the resort. No matter where you went ALL staff greeted you and asked how your vacation was going. Any questions we had were answered professionally and in a timely manner. Rooms were big and kept very clean. The free activities offered were another amazing perk and we took advantage of most but not all. This was by our choice as we decided to lay on the beautiful beach. I had read other reviews before going and honestly have to say that those who gave negative reviews at times I feel were just looking for things to complain about. The beach was raked and cleaned of debris daily. The pools were cleaned and kept free of debris as well. A few times there were one or two leaves that blew in to the pool but were removed quickly. Staff at the bars and dining areas always greeted us with a smile and a friendly comment and were always willing to help at every turn. Even when spoke to rudely by other guests they kept thier smile and professionalism. Mini bar in our room was always stocked and lots of different choices to eat. Our only complaint would be that our bus driver drove too fast and weaved in and out of traffic almost involving us in a head on collision on the way to the airport. All people in the vehicle were terrified. Other then that our vacation was perfect.

3 Thank lumpyfrog
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is on the lengthy side, but the summary is that CTI was amazing—it really exceeded both of our expectations and felt like “home” almost immediately. It was a rejuvenating vacation in many ways: seeing the culture’s widespread attitude of “no problem” and taking things as they come was good for each of us individually, and it also absolutely helped to strengthen our already-strong marriage. This was such a special time for us that we’re actively planning on a return trip next winter. It’s looking like we may even be bringing at least one other couple!

Flights: We flew from Milwaukee to Atlanta and then to Montego Bay. All traveling went smoothly, but next time we hope to book a nonstop flight. This will allow us to get to the resort earlier in the day and will just be a lot less hassle overall, as we both really hate the boarding, deplaning, and running to the connecting gate.

Airport: I surprised my husband with Club MoBay VIP tickets. It didn't really save us much time on arrival, but it was nice to be greeted and whisked through the unfamiliar airport. This was also our first experience with the outstanding Jamaican service we received throughout the vacation. The departure service was fantastic. It was so nice to be able to sit in a quiet lounge with food and drinks readily available, rather than being out in the hustle and bustle of the general airport. It didn't seem like my husband was too impressed with this package while we were using it, but he's been enthusiastic about it when we've told friends about the trip. He wants to do it again on our next trip down there, and I definitely agree that the departure alone is well worth the cost.

Transportation to/from resort: This was hassle-free and enjoyable. On arrival the baggage got tagged at the Couples lounge, wheeled out to the shuttle, and loaded by couriers (tip these guys ~$1/bag). The driver to the airport, a lovely man named Lyndon, gave a little tour of the landscape and some basic trivia about Jamaica as we traveled. We stopped at a roadside convenience store about 2/3 of the way there, where people bought drinks and used the restrooms. The driver on the way back was much less conversational--but then, the passengers were too--but he got us there competently and safely. We had to have our bags outside the room at 10:15 am, boarded the shuttle at 11:15, and flew out at about 2 pm.

Resort
-Arrival: this is a bit of a blur, honestly! We filled out some paperwork with our names and flight info, were given drinks (rum punch and something else), and were escorted to our room by a great man named Kirk. Kirk made us immediately feel right at home and was a friendly face that we saw throughout our stay.

-Room: We had a superior ocean room, which was in Building 5 on the 4th floor. Some people may feel this is too far away from the main buildings, but we really appreciated the privacy. Our balcony had a wonderful view of the ocean, and we could also see the main road that runs in front of the resort. Let's just say that because we were so high up and not facing the beach areas, we were able to enjoy a good bit of AN time on our balcony. It was also much quieter than the other buildings, which we noticed when we walked through buildings 3 and 4 to get to the beach and restaurants. We will probably continue to book these “cheaper” rooms just for the privacy alone; that is worth far more to us than an unobstructed ocean view.
I had read in the message boards and reviews that the rooms were musty. Several people even recommended bringing dryer sheets from home to put in the drawers. I did follow this advice but didn't end up using them. I faintly noticed a little mustiness when we initially entered our room but then never again while we were there; my husband didn't notice it at all.

-General: A common complaint of CTI is that it feels too much like a hotel. It's obvious why people would think that--the multi-floor buildings and doors that open to a hallway instead of a private entrance kind of give it away--but it really didn't feel like even a slightly bad thing. Because of the open-air construction, even walking in the hallways is technically walking outside, and you can hear the ocean throughout the buildings. We did not think it felt like a hotel much at all.

My husband did feel that the grounds could use some updating, but I really appreciated the vintage architecture and simple décor.

-Tour: We went for a tour of grounds on our first morning there. Alvin was the tour guide, and he did a great job. It was well worth our time to do this and helped us feel more comfortable with our surroundings. It's also how we found out that they have cappuccinos at the Logo gift shop, and the one that we each got was pretty darn good.

Restaurants: All of the food that we had was excellent. The Pool Grill was awesome for lunch and late-night snack options. The Veggie Bar had good smoothies and sweet potato chips (the heart of palm dip and chipotle dips were amazing!); I wish I'd eaten here more, but the service was often pretty slow here—even for Jamaican standards. The Patio was great for the meal buffets. We had breakfast here every morning and loved the variety offered. I took advantage of the section with more traditional Jamaican foods and also the fresh fruits. Sometimes the coffee service was a little slower than I'd like, but then I'm a big coffee drinker and wish they had larger coffee mugs too. It was kind of mind-blowing that we were still served so formally while wearing swimming suits and cover-ups!

We only went to Verandah once, on our first night at CTI. I don't remember what we ate, but by the end of the trip we were ready to try it again. It was here that I saw the first staff member decline to take a tip from someone.

We ate at 8 Rivers twice and Bayside once. Bayside is more our style of dining--a little more causal and of the Asian variety--but we chose to take advantage of the more formal dining at 8 Rivers for the sake of maximizing value. Our Bayside night was perfect: the reservations were for 6:15 (the earliest option), and we were the first ones in line and therefore got our choice of table. We chose one on a corner that juts out furthest over the water. We could really only see each other and the ocean, and it was phenomenal and very romantic. Tavio was our waiter that night, and he really helped to make it a night to remember.

The Piano Bar was a fun place to stop after dinner. The drinks here are strong and get quickly refilled, and there is top-shelf liquor available. It apparently closes when the last person leaves. We never stayed nearly that long, but it was definitely a fun place.

Gift shop: Don't buy anything here if you can help it! We bought coffee and aged Appleton rum there, and both were far more expensive than at the airport (coffee) and our local liquor store. The staff there told us that the airport would be more expensive ("last-minute shopping" was the reasoning), but that was so not the case. That being said, they do have some nice things there…just be prepared to pay $$$. This IS included in the cashless system there, so you will see gift shop charges on your final invoice when you leave.

Beach: People will complain that CTI’s beach is too small and that it doesn't have the nice calm waters or pure white sand of Negril. It's true that Ocho Rios is more prone to windy weather (we had 3 days of watersports closed due to wind), and while the beach isn't large (you can walk from one end to the other in less than 5 minutes) it never felt crowded. The beach was kept raked, chairs were reorganized every night, and there was always a good variety of sun and shade. It wasn't usually difficult to find lounge chairs, but findings ones with the cushions still remaining sometimes was. We did notice some issues with people "saving" seats but not being present to use them, but it wasn't overly prevalent as far as we could tell.

Activities: The only time we left the resort was for Dunn’s River Falls. This was a really fun experience; I would absolutely do it again sometime in the future, but the things I’d read about intense pressure from vendors at the end was NOT an exaggeration. As soon as you get to the top of the falls, the employees start pressuring you to buy the DVD that they filmed of your group climbing the falls, and it doesn’t stop until you’re back at the bus, safely ignoring them from the bus interior. The walk from the top of the falls to the bus was the one time that I felt even slightly crabby while in Jamaica, so just really be prepared mentally to deal with this if it’s something that will bother you. It didn’t help that my husband kept getting lured into conversations with the vendors when they’d comment on his beard! Overall, though, I thought it was worth dealing with the vendors to experience climbing the falls; it was really fun.

At CTI itself, we did go on a catamaran cruise, and this was awesome. We were amazed at the size of the waves, and it was so fun to stop and swim around in the beautiful water. Do take medication if you get motion sickness. My husband felt like he was still on the boat while we were having dinner that night, and this was a little upsetting for him.

Next time we will likely take more advantage of the other watersports that are offered at CTI, because they looked really fun. With this trip having 3 red-flag days, doing more of this wasn't really an option for this trip, unfortunately.

Staff: As I’d read in several places, the staff at CTI is nothing short of amazing. We had such wonderful service across the board. They were welcoming in every way and do everything they can to make sure you’re taken care of. We had especially great experiences with Kirk, Rohan, Kenard, Tavio, and Terry, but the countless people whose names I’ve forgotten all contributed to a perfect vacation. It was clearly a team effort and something that they all do consistently well.

Packing must-haves: Absolutely be sure to bring sufficient sunscreen, because the sun down there is powerful! I’d read that 1 bottle per day was ideal; we used almost 2 large bottles of body lotion and 1 for faces in the 4 full days that we had at CTI—and we applied very liberally. A hat for the beach is a must for me, and if you wear glasses be sure to bring some cleaning solution. The salt water does NOT want to come off without it, and I used this at least once daily. I’d also recommend bringing some hangers if you need more than the approximately 6 that are in the room and a watch for your beach bag (don’t want to miss dinner reservations or other activities!). If you have long and/or thicker hair, definitely bring your own hair dryer! The one in the room was acceptable for my fine, short pixie cut but would be a nightmare for most people.

The Island: Of course I need to discuss this! I’d been excited to try this from the moment I learned of its existence; my husband was less certain. Our first 2 full days at CTI were “red flag” days, so the island wasn’t even an option; these days we spent time later in the afternoon out on the pier, where I got to experience being topless in public for the first time. This actually proved to be a nice way for us to transition to fully AN, because after those two days my husband couldn’t wait to see what the island was all about! We spent time there on both of the next two days and just really loved it. Like so many other newbies, we started out on the right side of the island, lounging under a shelter and just enjoying the up-front ocean view. Before too long, though, we got brave enough to venture over to the pool area and never looked back. It really is true that it’s a welcoming, non-judgmental environment and that you should try it as early in the trip as possible. This was a really special experience for us and is one that we will definitely repeat next time we’re at Couples.

Room Tip: We liked our superior ocean room in building 5 for the privacy, quiet, and ocean view. Buildings 3...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank janda100910
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Was my first time in an "only couples" resort and i Loved it. The food was amazing, the veggie bar was just perfect for an healthy lunch. the scuba diving staff is very friendly and experienced, Chris was Fantastic.

rooms are big and very clean. its not a big resort but it felt very intimate and by the end of the week we knew everyone, staff and guests.

i would go back anytime.

4 Thank Sonia F
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 2, 2013

The Couples Tower Isle Resort is an all inclusive paradise. You name it – it's included:
tennis court with instructor, scuba diving and snorkeling, kayaks, catamarans, water bicycles, gym,
Internet (WI-FI was available in our room), and food, food, food, drinks, drinks, drinks. Actually, food was not bad at all, and drinks were acceptable. Room is spacious enough, but furnished plain, although the mattress was really good; balcony with a sea view (request room with a sea view, you won't regret it). Personnel is attentive and cheerful.
Now, what was not exactly to our liking: on the “nude island” you could only sunbath, but there is no beach there, only rocks and shallow water, so you could not swim there “au naturel”. The beach in front of the hotel is very short for the long beach walks. And remember, the resort is about two hours away from the MBJ airport.

1 Thank Alex F
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!