“Great value, exceptional staff, would definitely recommend”
Review of Couples Tower Isle

Couples Tower Isle
Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great value, exceptional staff, would definitely recommend”
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Please read this whole review as things improve DRASTICALLY after the first two paragraphs :-)

My husband and I came here for our honeymoon May 23, 2011 - May 30, 2011. FYI, we are 33 and 36 years old. After some travel drama (Montego Bay air traffic controllers went on strike causing Delta to cancel all flights -- fortunately they reinstated the flights about 6 hours later), we landed in Jamaica completely exhausted and ready to get to our final destination ASAP. We made it through customs and got our luggage with no problems and were shown to the "Couples" lounge in the airport (similiar lounges exist for Sandals, The Ritz, etc.). They had kegs of Red Stripe and a bar (no food though and we were STARVED!). Be forewarned, the lounge is pretty shabby -- the bathrooms are disgusting and it is in bad need of paint job and some updated furniture. We waited for about 45 min while they gathered enough people to fill a shuttle (the people staffing the lounge and the drivers are definitely on island time and we could not get a straight answer as to when we would be leaving the airport for the resort). Finally, we were loaded in and started on the TWO HOUR drive to Tower Isle. That part was miserable mostly due to our initial delays -- we did not get to Couples until 9:30 pm.

The lobby of the resort is very nice -- open air lobby, decorated like a 50's Hollywood lounge (turquoise walls, black and white striped couches). They handed us a glass of champagne and we checked into our rooms (this was a very effecient process). I thought that we had booked a deluxe room, but when we got to our room, I realized that MY definition of deluxe was different than Couples definition. The room was clean, but very small, the bathroom was teeny tiny (both my husband and I lived in Manhattan for years - 7 for me and 3 for him - so we are very accustomed to small spaces so for us to say it was small -- it had to be MICRO). The shower had no lip so when the water was on, it flooded the whole bathroom. It was late, and we just called it a night and went to bed. Because our room was at the top of the steps right above the open air lobby, it was very loud that first night.

OK - HERE IS WHERE IT GETS A LOOOOOOOOOT BETTER! The next day, we inquired about moving to a room that was further down the hall and away from the steps. They were super accomodating and told us they would move us around 1 pm that day. We went on our way to enjoy the day. Around 1, we checked back in with the desk and they said our new room was ready and that a bellman (his name was Kirk and he was FABULOUS!) would be right up to get our things. He grabbed our stuff and told us he would be right back with our new room key. He disappeared for 20 minutes and then came back up with a grin and said that the front desk (fabulous woman by the name of Annjulian) had "hooked us up." Boy was he right! We ended up being upgraded to a HUGE suite with a separate sitting room, fully stocked mini bar, huge balcony and a bathroom that was larger than one of my NYC apartments. Even though the resort claims to be "strictly tip free," needless to say we slipped some money to both of our upgraders (Kirk had a hand in it too). From that point on, I have ZERO complaints with Couples Tower Isle.

The staff could not have been more friendly and nice. Seriously, every single one of them was nicer than the next. The property was maintained beautifully and the food was exceptional! Because it was all inclusive, we were prepared for average food -- it was anything but that with the menus changing everyday (except for breakfast which was pretty standard). The 2 places that required reservations were worth the trouble of finding a reso -- Bayside was Thai food and was probably the least gourmet but the gorgeous setting made up for it. 8 Rivers was awesome and the fanciest place on the resort. The buffet for lunch and dinner were all awesome and not at all "cruise/all inclusive" type food.

The bars were all pretty good -- alcohol selections were OK. We are both beer drinkers and I am also a wine drinker. The beer selection sucked --- Red Stripe, Miller Lite (YUCK!), Carib. You can also get Guinnes from the martini bar. Wine selection was non existant unless you wanted to purchase a better bottle -- that was disappointing). The standard champagne is not good at all, but if you ask for the other selection (name escapes me), it is much less sweet. Hard liquor selections were better than a standard open bar, but we do not drink that much hard alcohol.

The activities were all MUCH better than expected (except for the snorkeling which was a waste of time). We highly recommend the discover scuba certification if you are not already a certified diver. Our instructor, Taren aka Tiger, was amazing and patient. In all, you are in a class and in the pool for almost 3 hours so some people might be irritated that you waste half the day before you even go out for a dive (the dive lasted 28 min). We totally loved it so much, that they allowed us to go on another dive with them (minus the 3 hour instruction) the next afternoon. Collin (the skinny dive instructor with the crazy colored wet suit) is fabulous. You can tell they all really love their jobs and I felt very comfortable with them during classes and especially once we were in open water.

The trip to Dunn's River was also a lot of fun. Be forewarned that the guides taking people up the falls A) pretty much DEMAND tips so be prepared with singles and B) do not discourage ANYONE from climbing these fairly treacherous rocks -- we had a very overweight middle aged couple with their special needs adult daughter in the group ahead of us. Clearly there is no discretion when taking people's money to climb the falls. You are dependant upon the people in front of and behind you to climb up the rocks so pay attention who you are in line with! :-). In all, it was worth it and I would do it again. After you complete the climb, you are forced to walk through a flea market of sorts where people selling hideous painted Bob Marley masks and t shirts literally grab you and pull you into their shops. They make you feel like you have to buy from them (we did not buy anything and got yelled at quite harshly). This experience discouraged us from taking the resort sponsored "shopping trip."

The horse back riding was also well worth it (again, bring some money for tipping your driver, your guide, the guy taking pics, and the crazy coconut tree climbing guy -- you will know who I am talking about). We were on the horses for little over an hour -- it was hot and you are in the sun a lot but we did the early am ride (started at 9 am) so it wasn't too bad.

The catamaran/booze cruise was also a good time. They serve a VERY strong rum punch the whole time and dock the boat in a cove where you can jump off and swim around. Fun time especially if you go with other people you meet at the resort.

I cannot comment of the nightlife at the resort because as hard as we tried, we could not stay up past 10 pm!! We were up early every morning so between the day drinking, sun, swimming, etc. we pretty much called it a night early. There is a wide ago range of the guests and it was apparent the ones who stayed up for the late night activities (think early -mid 20's).

If you are there for your honeymoon, you get a free 30 min couples massage -- we upgraded to a 60 min massage and it cost $110 total. They totally rip you off on the prices, but the massage was more than decent and the spa is nice. We did it on the morning of our last day and relaxed the entire day after that. Make sure you dont book it the day you go horseback riding or climb the falls as you kind of ruin the whole point of the relaxation!

In all, it was a great experience but it would not have been the same if our room had not been upgraded. It is well worth it to pay a little extra money for the suite -- fortunately, we did not have to pay for the upgrade but if I ever went back, there would be no question as to what class of room we would book.

If you are staying in the main building (#1), ask for a room away from the steps. We heard building 3 was the most private, but it has a partially restricted view of the beach and I am not sure if there are suite rooms in that building.

7 Thank ATLSaraC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (998)
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed June 6, 2011

I attended a wedding in May 2011 at the Couples Tower Isle in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. Early on, the whole group began plotting on a reunion trip. From day one the staff took such great care of us that we felt like VIPs. Special thanks to Brentton, Andre, Danielle, and Guericia (I hope I spelled the names correctly). They treated us like family and we hated to leave and return to reality. Some all inclusives have great service and rooms, but bad food or vice versa. This resort had it all and that is a rare find. I was hooked on the french toast at breakfast and promised that I would not eat it every day......I ate it all 9 days :-). Several excursions (i.e. Dunn's River, horseback riding) were no additional charge since we signed up through the resort. Our view was spectacular and it was especially nice to walk out of my room to a balcony surrounded by trees with a view of the ocean. The rooms are very nice and the attention to detail in the decor is impressive. Most impressive was the design and the use of color to decorate the lobby and various bars and restaurants. Any interior designer would have a field day analyzing all of the artistic features of this resort. I will definitely return to Couples Tower and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank TravelPro610
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed June 4, 2011

This was our second trip to Tower Isle. We both had a wonderful time again, and this time stayed for 10 days vs. 6. We were there from May 20-30. We ate at all of the restaurants: Bayside x2, Verandah x2, Eight Rivers x3. We had no trouble booking Bayside and Eight Rivers 2x each, and because we did the repeat guest dinner, we ended up at Eight Rivers a third night.

I'm a far picky eater than my husband, and every meal I had was wonderful. There were several desserts that were particularly amazing. My husband is a seafood eater, and had a variety of seafood dishes while we were there. The deserts at the patio tend to repeat every night, but there is a variety. Also, breakfast tends to repeat, but there is plenty of variety daily, including an omelet station and a waffle station. The veggie bar was our least favorite, the service was great, but we just were not that impressed with the offerings for our tastes.

We both enjoyed having breakfast delivered to our rooms, and look forward to having this service expanded to other meals. The first day we had room service, it was late but they called to let us know it was still coming/on it's way. We did not have internet service in our room but we were able to connect while on the balcony. It was not a great connection. It was quicker to check e-mail from the internet cafe, but I'd rather be able to do it from our room in my PJs, from my own computer when I don't have to worry about logging out. Last time, our room overlooked the swim up bar and we had no problem with an internet connection in our room. Location seems to be an issue with the wifi connection.

We stayed in room 2107, on the second floor. This is an Ocean view Jr. Suite, but did not have the best ocean view d/t the palm trees. We overlooked the patio pool. There is no doubt in my mind that had we wanted a room change, we could have had it. If we had been a floor up, the view would have been amazing. We were quite pleased overall with the room, and so we did not change it. Very spacious, with a large whirlpool tub. One complaint about the tub, the faucet wasn't placed correctly, and so unless the water is run at a very slow rate, it will leak over the side. Again, I didn't think this was a big deal--just something to be aware of. Our housekeeper did a great job, these are quite large rooms and she kept it spotless.

We are not much for the night life, and generally turned in quite early--we could hear the entertainment from the patio area, which was a bit annoying the first few nights, however once we had recovered from our travel, this was not an issue. Mainly, I'm mentioning this so people can make an informed decision about this resort. If you are in Block 2, you will hear the nightly entertainment in your room. I was able to sleep through it. On our first trip, I found that the hall we were down was louder in the mornings, so I think it really depends on your location in the resort as well as the type of people who are at the resort at the time. We really didn't hear any noise in the hallway this time that would be considered disruptive.

We spent much of our day on the au natural island vs. the swim up bar. We found that the crowd at the swim up bar tended to be younger and more immature during this visit (not so much on our first visit), but the great thing about this resort is the variety, there is something for everyone. The other pool was fine, and there were always plenty of chairs available on the beach, but we found the peace and quiet of the au natural island to be just what we needed. There was a wedding scheduled on the second Saturday we were there, and the hours the island was available were altered (open earlier, closed earlier for the wedding), which we appreciated. Buffet style lunch offerings are brought to the island daily as well--usually fish, chicken, some type of rice, salad, some desserts, and fresh fruit.

I enjoyed the nature walk, a brief walk through the grounds with one of the gardeners who described local vegetation, and pointed out the many types of plants grown on the property that are used for the cuisine. Later in the week, we say the chef from Bayside with fresh lemongrass :-) Having been to this resort in December and May, it was really neat to see the different plants in bloom from one trip to the next. We are very early risers, and enjoyed watching the resort 'wake up'. We were very impressed with the amount of effort that was put into keeping the pool area and beach in tip top shape.

We tend to keep to ourselves, and although one of the entertainment coordinators, Garcia, tried to get us involved, we did not feel pushed. She was very sweet and we enjoyed her efforts to keep us informed on what was available without feeling like we 'had' to participate.

We also did the Dunn's River Falls climb. I'm glad we did it once, but likely would not do it again. While cool and refreshing, I'm just not someone who likes heights or climbing wet, slippery waterfalls! Be aware that tips are expected for this--to multiple people who help during the climb, and that a video is made. They called our room when the video was ready, although we laughed at it (ourselves) it's not worth the money that they asked for it. Likely everything else in Jamaica, this price is negotiable, and I'd recommend negotiating the price if you really want the video. We also took a waterproof disposable camera with us. Take water shoes if this is something that you really want to do, and do not take anything else on the bus except for tip money and a towel.

We did one of the shopping trips to a mall-like area (Taj Mahal?) and found a few souvenirs. I'm very glad we were there on a day that there was not a ship in port, as I think this would have been very crowded. Typically, this is something you can find out ahead of time.

As far as drinks go, we found that the bartenders tend to pour a stiff drink, but we enjoyed a variety of different drinks, just trying different things for the fun of it. The bartenders at all of the bars are more than willing to suggest something.

All in all, we found the staff to be friendly and professional, the service excellent, and we had a very relaxing vacation. We thoroughly enjoy our time at Tower Island, and look forward to our next trip.

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2011

Couples tower isle, I would change the name of it to Weddings tower isle as they give full priority to wedding parties more than couples. Yes the staff are great, yes the place is great, yes the whole CTI experience is great but the whole thing is ruined by obnoxious loud mouth American wedding parties who think they own the place. Bayside restaurant is superb, excellent food and service, ruined by a wedding party being loud and inconsiderate to others. Eight rivers restaurant, waited 12 days to get booked in to find groups of wedding parties get priority over couples at both Bayside and Eight rivers. We never went in it was so loud and noisy with the wedding group we cancelled and didn’t bother and glad we did apparently everyone we spoke to said it was utterly ridiculous how the wedding party behaved, most people complained that they couldn’t hear sat opposite each other.
The Veranda restaurant, Great place with no wedding parties allowed, had a lovely meal and chatted to other guests.
CTI gives total priority to groups of wedding parties that also include single guests so make sure if you decide to go that you are tolerant of crowds of drunken loud mouths. The island is lovely, calm and quiet and the people there are very friendly, you will enjoy it until the unwelcome group of loud mouths arrive and shout even though they are only 2 feet from each other and you will not silence them we all tried but ended up all leaving.
We couldn’t find fault with CTI the room itself was lovely and other than the odd small things like the no tip policy you will find staff hinting for tips when you are almost leaving, they ask you constantly “when do you leave” when you answer the next day the phrase “I wont see you then“ means “give me a tip” we were told.
Dunns river is a great trip but don’t take anything with you will loose it.
Horse riding is brill, can’t fault the afternoon with them great people.
Snorkling is rubbish there’s nothing really to see.
Pools are full of smokers which is beyond me smoking in a swimming pool, and very, very noisy.
Spa. Superb and great value and very good.
Beach is fine, very well looked after and not too small as we were told.
Food in the buffet, there’s a wide choice and well presented.
All in all we did have a great holiday spoilt by the drunken obnoxious wedding parties and for this reason we would never go again.
The management/owners need to realise that the $6,000.00 we paid for 2 weeks here is not a small amount to be brushed aside and told we would have to wait until they booked all the wedding guests in before we even got a chance of a table in any restaurant, yes its true their money is worth more than yours it seems, we saved up for 2 years for this holiday and felt like second class citizens of CTI when it came to restaurants. We will definitely NOT be returning unless they ban weddings then the place would be brilliant and 5 star but as it stands now it is no better or worse than any other all inclusive any where else in the world. If you are wanting either quiet, romantic or to get away from it all couples tower isle is NOT the place for you.

J and A.

12 Thank julienady
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed May 31, 2011

This resort is Amazing!!! The trip from Montego Bay airport was a little under 2 hours. When we pulled up they had drinks waiting for us and it took about 10 minutes to get us checked in. The lobby is completely open and is very clean and beautiful.
They do ask for a credit card to be placed on file in case of incidentals.
Our room was beautiful and the view of the ocean and the island was beautiful.
The first day we got a cab ($30 US dollars round trip) and Mr. Barret was our driver. He is a very nice guy and told us about the island. We went shopping at the Taj ahal shopping center....if you go there and you are shopping for alcohol chech out each store before buying....they all sell the same day and will bargain with you....We ended up getting 2 bottles of Sangsters Creme Rum for $30 (sticker price was $30 a bottle)
On Tuesday we contacted Chukka Cove and signed up for the horse back ride and swim. This cost $95 per person and includes transportation. The resort offers horseback riding however it is not the same as Chukka Coves. Chukka Coves horseback trip takes the horses out into the water and is truly amazing.
The food at the resort is great!!!! The breakfast buffet has a wide variety of food (the chicken sausage is yummy). They have a waffle bar and will make you a fresh waffle.
The food at the grill was good....the only thing I did not like was the hot dog....it had some weird spices added it to it and I believe it may have been made from chicken. The jerk chicken sandwhich was awesome and my husband liked the jerk bbq chicken wings that they had the last day we were there
Dinners were good...the jerk pork they had on the buffet on Monday night was the best- wish they had offered that more
The Verandah had a great strip loin steak.
We received a free massage coupon and upgraded to a hot stone therapy massage- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Also after the spa closed we were allowed to use the hot tub and it is very secluded- it was very relaxing and nice to spend time together without having other guests around.
We went sailing and Steve took us out sailing....he is an asset to the resort. The guys in the scuba shack were very entertaining.
All the employees go out of their way to make sure the guests are having a great time.
All of the drinks we had were fabulous!!!!
We are hoping to return for our first anniversary!!!!!

Also our last night we had Mr. Barret take us into down town Ocho Rios for dinner....we went to the Ocho Rios Jerk Center and the food was soooooo good....3 of us ate for $23 US dollars and was the best food we ate while in town off of the resort

Room Tip: Highly recommend a room with an ocean view!!!!
4 Thank LSMinor
Mount Forest, Canada
Reviewed May 29, 2011

I could go on and on about this place, but I know that I am limited so I will try to make it short :)
First off I would like to say that I almost made the huge mistake of switching our reservation from CTI to CSS because I heard that CSS was more romantic that CTI. I am so glad that I did not and that I went with my gut feeling.
My husband and I never got the honeymoon we wanted so we were looking for an extra special place and my goodness did we find it. I had HUGE expectations, becuse theer were soooo many wonderful reviews of this place, and CTI did not only meet but way above and beyond exceede every expectons that we ever had.
The veiw that you frist see when you step out of the bus is undescribable, just like int he pictures on the website.
The frist thing that we heard when we were checking in was that our room was not available, and I thought oh great hear we go, but they upgraded us to a private villa for two night, which has its own private pool as well as gave us 1/2 hour free couples massage. If that is not 5 star customer service, then I don't know what is.
On the second day we were transfered to the Ocean Jr. Suite that we had orinignally wanted and my goodness it was well worth the wait (Room #2206). I could go on and on about the room, but bottom line it was FANTASTIC, totally worth the extra cost.
From then on, we were just spoled beyond belief and pamered like that I did not know was possible.
My husband did not know places like this existed. Now, the one and only small crisicism that I have that CTI could improve on is this: One of the reasons that we chose CTI was because scuba diving is included. This was the #1 thing I was most looking forward to. However, I went filled out the forms and when they instructor saw that I have had open heart surgery and did not have a note from my doctor, I was not allowed to go at all for antyhing. To say that was disappointing is an under statement, and what is really hard is that getting a note would have been no problem at all, if only I had known. So I could get do the one thing that I was most looking forward to.But that would be the only thing. Other than that, I hope that everyone us able to experience true 5 star quality.

2 Thank Policegirl1234
Mountain View, California
Reviewed May 29, 2011

We arrived at Couples Tower Isle on a Sunday and stayed until the following Saturday for our honeymoon. It exceeded our expectations in every single aspect! Having never been to Jamaica, we chose CTI after reading reviews online and speaking to a travel agent.

The food is fantastic, whether you eat at the poolside grill, or at one of the reservations required restaurants. We ate at the Verandah several nights, and at each of the reservation locations once. The buffet for breakfast and lunch was great, and offered a great selection in an attempt to appeal to many people. The bartenders are also great and make some fantastic drinks.

The room was very spacious and clean. We were in an ocean facing room and it was just beautiful! Housekeeping was great and very kind. At one point, we messed up the safe in our room and they had to come fix it and open it for us and were very friendly about doing so.

The activities this place offers are one of the things that make it a great deal. While we were there, we kayaked, wind-sailed, visited Dunn's River Falls, took the Catamaran Cruise, couple's massage, trip to Margaritaville, shopping trip in downtown Ocho Rios, and checked out the nightly shows and casino. We did not partake in the horseback riding excursion because the day we were scheduled to do it, it rained, and the last day we would was our very last day and we chose to hang out on the beach.

The resort was quite - we never heard anyone outside in the halls, or any of our neighbors at night. Most of the guests turned it in by 10-11 in the evening, so it was very peaceful and relaxing.

The ONLY negative thing about our trip was that the weather was a bit rainy. But, you can't control the weather and we still had an amazing time despite it!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocho Rios
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!