“Awful and disreputable place - avoid!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Sky Castles

Sky Castles
Kingston, Jamaica
“Awful and disreputable place - avoid!!!”
Reviewed May 19, 2011

I'm a Jamaican, and I'm completely embarrassed that this place offers accommodation to the public. First....one is greeted by a parking lot that has an old parked car with tyres flat, parked for God knows how long...not a good look...

Room (Unit D2) was dirty when we checked in. Apart from that the bathroom was in an awful state, with cracked tiles and a rotting counter-top. Bed lumpy. Furnishings cheap and tacky. Fridge and stove rusty, and the stove would not even boil water after 20 minutes...go figure. The walkway to the apartment was unlit and dark and unsafe. Complaints to management yielded only the response that they were full. Late in the evening, we discovered there was no iron, and there was only one wash rag for two people, so nothing could be done, because the front office was closed. After the first night, we checked out and management yelled at us that they were still going to charge both nights on my card, because while the room needed some work, the appliances worked and and the bathroom sink was usable. I didn't care. I could not and would not stay there another night! We left and went to Sea Palms where we got a much better room on the beach for J$9,000 instead of the J$8,000 being charged by SkyCastles for that dump of a room! Because the units are individually owned, there is no uniformity and they don't seem to insist that owners maintain the apartments to a prescribed standard. It's pretty much hit or miss. I would never ever return to Skycastles, and I would recommend that you avoid it unless you are into gambling...because it is a gamble what experience you will get. However, what is certain is that the management has no business being in the hotel business, as their attitude is downright rude and confrontational.

Room Tip: Tip - Don't book there...go somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Arawak_JM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
West Coast/JA
Reviewed February 21, 2010

Hands down, one will not see a view as beautiful anywhere else but at Skycastles and Columbus Heights. The views offered from the units here are what won me over.

Skycastles and Columbus Heights share the same grounds, and there are many clusters of units each with their own pool. There is a tennis court and commissary (directly above the main office at Skycastles). As these units are individually owned, the furnishings and upkeep will vary. I have stayed in different units each trip back to Skycastles/Columbus Heights and have not had an undesirable unit to date.

The only thing that some would consider a downfall is the hike - guests that do not have a car literally have to hike up and down a series of semi-steep hills to get to and from the property and main road. For me this was a bonus as it was my daily exercise, but for those with bad knees or limited mobility keep this in mind.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RingPonMiFinga
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 17, 2010

Sky Castles feels like home. You have maid service thats cleans weel & can cook even better. The location is great across from Margaritaville.

Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank ChelleChele
edinburgh
Reviewed April 27, 2009

locals hanging about and doing drugs around the pool. one of the locals even tried to sexually abuse me in the pool, not to mention followed me to my room and continued to bother me throughout my stay (myself being 14 at the time!). place was filthy dirty. only positives were the staff were friendly, great views and good food.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank debz-1989

Travelers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

McDonough, Georgia
Reviewed April 7, 2009

First I must say the good thing about this place is the guy that works at the front desk.
Other than that i regret the two nights that I spent there. The first bad thing is that they were totally overbooked and they had to give the room I wanted to someone who had booked through a travel agency months in advance. (the agency supposedly didnt inform the resort that the people were coming, so the room that I was supposed to get went to them) So I got stuck in a studio with two twin beds. The sleep was sooooo uncomfortable. We were falling inbetween the two beds all night.
In the morning I asked if there was another room that we could switch to. Of course there was only one room and it was another studio. I took it anyway. The guy was great, helping me move my things.
The kitchen at this hotel are in need of new appliances. The stoves are all burned up; the fridge are rusted and dont work very well; The dishes need to be updated as well.
The overall appearance of the rooms are ok. The decor need to be replaced.
The second room that I got moved to was worst than the first I must say. It was on the second level. The windows were not all covered with the curtains. so people ouside could look into our room through the kitchen window. Then the people that are above our room could look down onto the bedroom and see everything that we are doing. There was a lack of privacy that I didnt like at all.
The outside of the place looks nice but once you go inside its a disappointment.
The roof in the room looked patched up; the lamp shade was broken; and the list goes on. I will upload pictures so that you can see what I am talking about.
Only stay here if you are not bothered by appearance and comfort.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jetucker85
New Hampshire
Reviewed December 6, 2007

The website is nearly all fiction. The pool is moldy and green. There is no bar, there is no restaurant, there is no shuttle to the beach twice a day. There was no plates in the kitchen 2 cups and a saucer, 2 glasses one pan. No utensils. No coffee maker. The balcony door would not open and was broken and put back together. When I arrived after a long flight from the US at around 9 PM the hotel was locked!!!!! No one was there, there was a for sale sign on it. There was no store above the office as the website says. You had to be a goat to walk up the hill to get there. I had to take a taxi home the first nite becasue I couldnt get a bite to eat or a drink at the hotel. I left the next day and moved to the Village Hotel downtown. It was cheaper, you got breakfast and I had a great kitchen. I have traveled to Jamaica FOURTEEN TIMES and I have NEVER been so disgusted in my life with a hotel. Do not stay at Sky Castles.
Signed, Jetreggae

Stayed November 2007
10 Thank jetreggae
Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed September 6, 2007

Nestled in the hillside overlooking ocho rios are some cottage styles condos that I would recommend to anyone who wants to spend time at reasonable rates.
You have a magnificent view of the town yet very tranquil area. My first time was with a group in May 2005, we keep returning and was last there May and August 2007.
We all used our Credit Cards each time and had no problems.
I find the workers very cordial. The manager always comes around to check on us. Go check it out.

• Liked — Location, view and workers
  • Disliked — no phone
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Di-traveler