“Spedy is simply the best!”

Island Dog Water Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: From a Boat Ride to Deep Sea Fishing to a Romantic Night Cruise, we can satisfy any almost adventure that you are looking for on the water. We are a well established and respected business that has been in operation for over 18 years. Your safety and satisfaction is our #1 goal. Our Boats include a 35 foot luxury speed boat a 33 foot fishing boat and a 31 foot fishing boat.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Spedy is simply the best!”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

First of all I have to say Jamaica is a great place to travel. The people are great and there are so many activities to experience. We booked our fishing trip though a larger service and that led to a confirmation voucher pointing us to Island Dog Water Sports and Speedy (Shalton Whyte). I asked a few of the locals if they new Speedy and everyone knows Speedy and he has a great reputation.

When we met Speedy his reputation was quickly confirmed. He's got great energy and is eager to please. His experience is also obvious. This was helpful when the trip needed to be postponed due to clearly bad weather. He did everything he could to find us a new time in our last 2 days to get the fishing adventure squeezed in. I mentioned that if we went on a certain day we would have to be back by 1:00 to make a horseback riding event we had planned for my 20 your old daughter’s birthday. Long story short Speedy texted me the day before the fishing trip asking my daughter's name. Sure enough we showed up for the fishing trip and he had a birthday cake with her name on it as a surprise. He later provided a tip on a great restaurant and got us into Toscanini for a fabulous birthday dinner.

So about the fishing, we're not experienced deep sea fishing people. This was a first. The crew was very experienced and took extra time to explain what was going on and allowing us to help as we desired. About an hour in we hit on a 250 pound Blue Marlin. It jumped out of the water just like on TV. We pulled in the lines and let my daughter pull in the fish. Unfortunately it snapped the line and got away but the experience will never be forgotten. Speedy is a definite strong recommendation.

Visited January 2014

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Speedy is great - Cold water temp but we caught fish”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

So I was in Jamaica from Jan 11th to the 18th. We stayed at a private house and our staff recommended Captain Speedy(Shalton Whyte). I was a little nervous but my son wanted to go so I trusted the staff. I am glad I did!

The water was much colder than it was supposed to be and we were warned prior to booking by our staff that the fishing had not been great. It was 600 for a half day and my son(10) really wanted to go, so since it was not that expensive I booked the trip(600 for your own boat is pretty good and I have been doing this for thirty years).

Anyways, Speedy took us out and I was with a 17, 13 and ten year old boy. We had top bait going and were looking for big fish to start. After three hours of nothing because of the weather, speedy changed and we started fishing smaller tuna. Speedy was up top spotting the birds that were feeding and an hour and a half later we had 11 Bonita and black fin tuna. I sat up top with speedy and took video and pictures of the kids and helped him spot. I learned a lot from him about that and I had as much fun as the kids.

The trip was amazing and speedy went out of his way to have the kids catch fish. We actually did not come in till six which was an hour extra but we were not charged more. He was professional and his help on board was great. It was not the highest end boat but the fishing was awesome. Don't take that wrong, the boat was 100% safe, in great condition, clean and had soda and beer. It just was not a super expensive boat to start.

I have paid large money to deep sea fish and the only difference was you had a little more room. The service quality was the same and since they were Jamaicans it was a true experience.

I would do this trip again and again.

Ralph

Visited January 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“No Speedy, no Fish”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I booked a trip with speedy this past week. I would not do it again. I am sure Speedy is a very good Captain, but I will never know. I booked the trip through him, he made it seem like we would be going out with him , since he is supposedly the best. However, when we got there the trip was delayed and our Captain and crew did not include Speedy. We had a different crew altogether. Nice guys, but not Speedy. After 4 1/2 hours of trolling, we ended up with one hit under the bird and nothing in the boat! Skunked...no fish. $600 is alot of money for a rough boat ride 2 beers and a couple of waters. I will not be going back and now the three teenage boys we had with us will probably never try deep sea fishing again. Not worth it

Visited July 2013
4 Thank Steelcitycanes
Irmo, South Carolina
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“For Your Eyes Only Boat Charter”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We booked the "For Your Eyes Only" tour through Karandas Tours for our day in Jamaica (we came in on the Carnival Freedom April 4th). The tour was with "Speedy" of Island Dog Water Sports. I wanted to review this tour because we researched trip advisor before booking and could find NO information on this tour and that made us really nervous. I RELY on trip advisor to plan trips, especially out of the country. We booked this tour despite the lack of information basically because we could not find anything else similar and so we took our chances. It was totally worth it! The tour was great! We met Terry and Kavel at the marina - a short walk from our cruise ship. The boat we were suppose to go out in was having engine issues, so we were taken out in an equally great boat that is normally used for fishing. We went first to the Dunn's River Falls. We seemed to be given some sort of priority treatment there - I'm guessing because we had a boat waiting on us? Our group of 8 was it's own group with a guide just for us (most of the other groups contained 20+ people). After the falls, we were taken to a beautiful reef to snorkel. After an hour there, we were taken to a private beach (the real James Bond Beach) where we played in Laughing Falls. Gorgeous location. Terry was in change of the boat and was a great captain. Kavel was in charge (in seemed) of making sure none of us got hurt - especially our kids (ages 10 - 14). He snorkeled with us and made sure no one fell down Laughing Falls. Finally it was time to head in and we were given a bonus chance to fish since we were in the fishing boat. The water was quite choppy that day, so no luck, but it was great to be given the chance! We drank several Red Stripe while we were out and given a couple for the walk back as well. Overall, just a fantastic way to spend a day!!

Visited April 2013