We had been expecting a luxury resort and found it came up short.
I'm tempted to write a full essay but I think a stream of consciousness list of our issues will be most useful to others so here goes:
Our disappointment was unexpected but immediate: We arrived after sunset and we quickly discovered that this resort is very energy conscious- all the light bulbs in the room are very low wattage compact fluorescents giving the room a poorly lit, eerie glow. It wasn't possible to read a book with this lighting and was hardly romantic. The television cable was broken and disconnected. They repaired the cable, but the reception quality was very poor. The rooms were run down and the lighting and draperies didn't help. The furniture and chest of draws wouldn't open without a struggle.
Our room was in "A Block" ..we discovered that the hot water was also a rare commodity. (I would suggest they relabel the the faucets "cold" and "not so cold") Most of the showers we took were barely warm enough. We paid extra for a jacuzzi in the room, but we couldn't use it because of the lack of hot water.
The small terrace of the room had an ocean view but no comfortable chairs-- the chairs were very small, inexpensive upright composite chairs that buckled under a normal weight. As a result, we never sat on our balcony.
We went to our first dinner at the "French " restuarant The food was good and the service was excellent. Subsequent dining at the Italian restaurant was also good. This was better than average food, but not 5 star food.
Believe it or not, they didn't change the menus over the 7 days we were there, so by the end of our stay, we were ordering our less-than-first choice on the menu or repeating the same item.
The all-inclusive drinks were weak at best. Despite asking the bartender to put extra rum in our drinks, we often felt there was almost no alcohol in them at all .
The beach was small but attractive. The beach lounge chairs were tired, many had missing straps and most were badly covered with mildew. The chair pads, usable as water floats, were often old and ripped.
The grounds were quite nice and the garden vegetation was spectacular. The resort is on a hill, so be ready to climb many steps to get around. The older section of the resort, (on the hill) is almost a separate experience and its pools and bars often seemed deserted.
The management seemed extremely interested in pleasing and attempted to correct any issue we brought to them. They followed up on everything we brought to their attention. The hot water issue was never solved and the TV reception remained very poor.
Because of our disappointment, on the second day, they promised us a bottle of champagne would be delivered to our room...(we're still waiting for it to be delivered).
We had an 8 day package. On the last day, our plane departed at 2:45PM, but they required us to leave our bags out at 8:30 and depart the resort by 9:30PM. To be fair, the ride to the airport is 2 hours and check in took us a very long time. But the first day and last day weren't vacations.
We enjoyed our time and were successful in preventing our disappointment with the resort not to affect the pleasure of being away in the tropics.
We've recommended other resorts to friends and relatives. San Souci is inconsistent with its quality. We can't recommend Sans Souci to our friends and we wouldn't return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the cliffs of Jamaica’s emerald coast above a dazzling stretch of Caribbean, Couples Sans Souci beckons you to surrender mind, body and soul. The resort's 'no worries' mantra comes to life as every day unfolds. Lose yourself exploring secluded stone pathways. Melt away stress in the healing natural mineral springs. Feel a rush of exhilaration scaling Dunn's River waterfalls. Or simply drift asleep in a hammock by the sea. Located in vibrant Ocho Rios, the resort's design pays tribute to an understated colonial elegance—intricate latticework, white woven furnishings and feathered palms set a refined stage for your island escape. Dining options abound—from authentic Jamaican fare to five-star international cuisine. Private cabanas at cliff's edge provide the ideal setting for our signature spa treatments, while the choice of resort activities knows no limits. Learn the art of living well while living in the moment at Couples Sans Souci. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Travelocity, TravelUp, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Couples Sans Souci reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Couples Sans Souci Hotel Ocho Rios
- Couples San Souci
- Couples Sans Souci Ocho Rios
- Couples Sans Souci Jamaica/Ocho Rios