“Loved Sans Souci - Tranquil experience”
Review of Couples Sans Souci

Couples Sans Souci
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed September 19, 2006

I recently returned from a vacation to Couples Sans Souci (CSS). The resort is amazing.

We love the Couples properties and have been to Couples Swept Away several times before. We were very excited to try CSS.

Rooms: We booked a One Bedroom Beachfront Jacuzzi Suite. We were originally located in the A block. The mail pool is in front of the A block and we did not like listening to pool volleyball when we were trying to relax (pool volleyball is from 3-5). We moved to the B block which has the lawn in front of it and the ocean beyond it. The rooms in the A block seemed a bit newer. The rooms were clean and spacious. Balcony had a table and two chairs. If we go again we’ll book the One Bedroom Verandah Suite. The rooms do not have a Jacuzzi or a separate sitting area but the balcony is huge. They have a couch, a lounger, and a coffee table and dinner table for two. They are far away from the main pool and you’ll have to climb a lot of stairs but I think they are worth it. They are at a higher elevation and offer amazing views. Oh, mini-bar. Included soda, water, beer, wine (white and red, I liked the wine too), and alcohol (vodka, rum, scotch, and gin).

Food: The food is excellent. The Italian restaurant is formal; the food is wonderful and typical of what you would expect at a high end Italian restaurant in the states. The French restaurant requires dinner reservations but it is not formal. The food there is wonderful too. The coconut calamari appetizer is fabulous. We never ate at Bella Vista for dinner so I cannot comment. Bella Vista does not require reservation. I LOVED room service. It was so nice to order a bottle of wine and a wonderful meal and sit on the patio and enjoy it. We also had a private dinner for two on the wedding gazebo during sunset one evening. Amazing. The breakfast buffet was wonderful and offered everything. Lunch options included the buffet, the beach grill, and room service. When we were at Couples Swept Away we always ate lunch at the beach grill but at Sans Souci we liked the buffet more. The beach grill is good but they do not have any fish on the menu.

Pools: We spent most of our time at the mineral pool. The mineral pool was very relaxing. There is a bar right next to it and the girl who works there during they day is so sweet. Great bloody marys. The main pool has a swim up bar and it attracted a louder crowd so we spent very little time there. There is also a pool near the lobby. We used it a few times and never shared it with anyone. It was so nice.

A/N section: The a/n section is a/n before 5:00. After 5:00 it’s open to everyone. I only went after 5:00 so I cannot comment too much. The beach there is beautiful for sunset. There are hermit crabs EVERYWHERE, it was amazing. That section has a pool, a grill, and a bar.

Beaches: The beaches in Ochi are not as nice as Negril. BUT the beach was beautiful and most importantly, private. In Negril, you are constantly hounded by vendors. At Sans Souci, I never saw one. It was wonderful. We took floaties out in the water and enjoyed relaxing.

Scuba and water sports: Scuba diving is included. One morning deep dive (to 85 feet) and one afternoon shallow (to 55 feet) dive for certified divers. The dive guys are great. The dive sites are pretty good. If you’re not certified you can take the resort certification and go on a shallow dive at 11:30. Other included water sports are water skiing, glass bottomed boat, snorkeling, hobie cats, water bike, kayak, and I am sure I am missing a few others.

Beach party and gala night: They have two special nights, the Beach Party and the Starlight Gala night. We were not into them. We really like going to the restaurants for a romantic dinner for two and on those nights you sit with two other couples. It’s nice to meet others but it’s not as intimate as the other nights. We watched the Gala night from our room and enjoyed eating on our balcony. We went to the beach party. The food is pretty good, but it’s all served buffet style. The grounds during the starlight gala looked AMAZING.

Excursions: We went on the Dunns River Falls tour. Everyone will tell you to go on a Sunday (no cruise ships) and they are right. We did not listen and we went to Dunn’s River the same day that a huge Carnival Fun Ship docked. There were way too many people there and it felt way too touristy. The falls are beautiful though.

Nightlife: We hung out at the beach bar and the balloon bar a few times. The bartenders were wonderful. They made wonderful drinks and they were great to talk to. People do not stay out very late but you can find something to do if you want to.

Repeaters dinner: Repeat guests are invited to a special repeaters dinner. Three couples sit together with one person from management. The food was wonderful. The dinner is held in the banquet hall next to the French restraint.

Spa: Spa therapy was wonderful. The massage huts are perched on a cliff. You can hear the sounds of the ocean. We had two couples massages, both fantastic.

Pond: There is a pond between the A block and the a/n beach. It’s the most beautiful pond I’ve ever seen. It’s full of wildlife and a great place for a cup of coffee in the morning.

Staff: The staff was wonderful. Everyone I met was so accommodating. Ricardo in guest services is so helpful. All of the bartenders, cooks, front desk people, bus boys, room service people and housekeeping were professional, friendly and helpful.

Overall, I highly recommend this resort and I will return next year. If I could describe the resort in one word it would be “tranquil”. I could go on and on about how beautiful everything is but there are enough reviews on this site to give you all the answers you need.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
45  Thank DenverTravelGirl
Write a ReviewReviews (4,029)

Reviewed September 17, 2006

We had never been to any sort of resort, and wanted our honeymoon to be amazing. We saw a lot of nice pictures of Sans Souci, but were still sceptical of all the praises.

We were more than pleased. The staff, especially the social directors, were outstanding. Everyone was courteous and friendly. We got to know many staff by name and even several guests.

The rooms were nicely decorated and clean. They were slightly damp, but that is becaues it is RIGHT on the beach! The food was great and pools and ocean view were beautiful.

There were many activities to do. On site, there was a spa, a game room, tennis courts, bikes, trails, pools, beaches and resturants. Off site, we went to Margauritaville, Dunn's River Falls, and horse back riding.

There is honestly not much of anything I could complain about. I loved it and would gladly go back. We plan on it someday soon!!!!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
13  Thank aueander
Reviewed September 8, 2006

We stayed at CSS for 9 nights, 2nd time in Jamaica, first at this resort.

We had a wonderful time, the restort is beautiful, beach was great, pool good, although could have used few more chairs and umbrellas, most of the hotel felt quiet, like you had your own private beach, but the pool always felt busy.

Food was good, a little samey after 9 nights, but always excellent quality, and the French restaurant served some the best steaks we've ever had. Drink was served freely and all the well known brands offered.

Staff could not be faulted, all friendly polite and good fun. They were lovely, intersting people.

Diving - we were both certified diving and diving in included. The dive team were excellent and we had a great time with them. The dive sites were a a bit limited and there'snot a lot to see other than one wreck and some cool swim throughs, not masses of sealife.

Weather - I think there were thunderstorms forecast every day, it rained the day we arrived and the day we left, other than that no rain, some times it gotcloudy in late afternoons, but considering its hurricane seasons, you couldn't have asked for better weather

Overall an amazing holiday and I would recommend the restort to anyone looking for laid back holiday in a beautiful setting with great people.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
17  Thank ally_pally
Reviewed August 2, 2006

CSS : We flew on Intairlink from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios with our flight we only saved about 30 mins from the bus by the time we waited for the plane to leave and at the last minute they put 1 person on the plane who was going to Negril, which meant we had to fly away from our destination to come back to Ocho Rios but we had wonderful views of the island from the air because the plane doesn’t fly that high. CSS was wonderful, I loved everything about it.

The resort sits on the side of a hill so there are a lot of steps but what a view. The resort feels secluded and has a quite elegance. It never seemed crowded and commercial. When we arrived we were greeted with rum punch and our cool towels as expected. Check in was smooth and took about 15 minutes. When we arrived in our room we had towel art decorating our bed with flowers all over it. We stayed in D24 and we very pleased with our room. The bathroom was marble and had a Jacuzzi, it could have used some updating but that didn’t stop up from enjoying the Jacuzzi at all.

On our first night we had dinner at Cassanova (we called ahead the day before to reserve it). Dinner was great, they had a surf and turf special that night which was a Thursday and I had that my BF had some other fish which he enjoyed and the service was excellent. Breakfast at t he Pallizina was excellent everyday and we had dinner there one night which was also great. We did the Dunns river tour and really enjoyed it, If you are in Ocho Rios this is a must. The glass bottom boat tour was OK, we didn’t see much. On Friday night they had the Gala on the lawn in front of the beach and this was a very good time they had entertainment which was very good, it started raining and a lot of people moved over to the beach grill for a jamming after party.

Room service took about 40 minutes to deliver food one night but we were not hungry we just wanted to order room service and we ordered a bottle of champagne with our meal. The staff at CSS is very friendly and helpful. Some memorable staff members are Ricardo with the entertainment team and Michelle with guest services. We wanted a private local transfer to drive us from CSS to CSA and Michelle arrange everything for us, she hooked us up with Oneil who drove us an d even stopped with us for about 2 hours in Montego bay where they were having the reggae sumfest beach party. The party never really got hopping because the weather was not so good but he was nice enough to take us.

23  Thank mcderni
Reviewed July 23, 2006

We just got back from Couples Sans Souci July 23rd. I will make this an honest review.

This was our fourth all inclusive vacation, the others were Sandals Dunns River, Sandals Antiguia, Sandals Grande, St. Lucia., for points of reference.

The Couples Sans Souci property is beautful, it is built into the side of a hill that slopes to the sea. A tropical paradise. The grounds were better than I expected. There are lots of steps that wind through the property. That would be the only downfall if someone can't do steps well.

The French and Italian restaurants were better than any we had at Sandals. The Breakfeast buffet was average, lunch buffert very good, lunch grill was a nice alternative. The theme nights, "beach party" and the "Grand Galla" were nice and the food was good.

It is a fairly quiet resort, there are only 148 rooms so it never seems crowded.

The spa is wonderful, the treatment rooms are huts built by the water. I had four treatments and they were all good. The gym is equipped with mostly new machines and weights and it right by the sea.
The Au natural area and beach was nicer then the main area. We gave it a try in our third day ( our first time ) and we spend our beach time there the rest of the week. The bartender Roger was great and the security provided by Karen enhanced our stay.

We stayed in the E block, the views were to die for. The suits were very large with large balconys. The bathrooms could use a little updating, overall the rooms were nice. The rooms at A and B are newer and you don't have to climb the stairs but the views arn't as good.

I f you are looking for action, I would choose somewhere else. If you are looking for quite luxury at a moderate price then Sans Souci is for you.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
41  Thank DaddyB
Reviewed July 9, 2006

We stayed at CSS from June 28th through the early morning of July 5th, 2006. We stayed in D Block, room 18.

Travel/ transfers
No problems. However, if you get car sick you might look into flying from mobay to Ocho Rios. The roads are horrible in places, and paved in others. By horrible, I mean dirt and rock paths that you can only do about 10mph over. On average it was just very bumpy for 2 hours. But at the end of it all, you arrive at CSS.

Lobby
We were greeted with cool towels and a drink of our choice. We were checked in within 10 minutes and our luggage was brought to our room quickly. We were eating a late lunch and drinking rum punch at the beach bar about 20 minutes after arrival. Great service!

Rooms
The A/C worked well and would get very cold if you let it. The rooms were furnished nicely and clean at all times. Turn down service was offered. The water pressure was great, all plumbing and electrical worked fine. Our only MINOR gripe is the noise you can sometimes hear in the bedroom from the hallway, outside or other rooms. However, that also included the strolling musician, which is a GREAT touch! I can't tell you how awesome it is to be on the balcony eating room service filet with champagne and hear Devon walking around playing soft music on his saxophone. The "Mini Bar Mon" will leave you whatever you request if you leave a simple little note in the fridge. Housekeeping was great, our housekeeper, Marva, went out of her way to be sure we had a great stay and even shared a personal moment with me when she saw me returning from the lobby with our wedding album- she wanted to see "that beautiful wife of mine" and we flipped through the pictures together. She was SO SWEET! People like her make CSS.

Breakfast: You can put a door hanger out for a continental breakfast of your selections to be delivered at a specific time, or go to the buffet at Palazini or both! At Palazini there are plenty of breads and fresh fruits like you have never seen. Hot foods like fried potatoes, eggs and bacon are available. An omelet station is located on the west side of the outdoor eating area. Lots of juice selections too. Great service.

Lunch: Room service: sandwiches, salads , pizza etc are available. The beach bar: salads, sandwiches, pizza, jerk pork/ pizza and several other things I never got to try. Palazini: Buffet with carving station, pasta station, or the like (it changes). Awesome spread, awesome food.

Dinner: Cassanova- a true 4 star dining experience. Appetizer, Salad, Soup, Pasta, Dinner and Dessert courses. Pick one from each and let the service begin! WONDERFUL food. The Beach Bar turns into "Bella Vista" at night to offer beachside dining. Try the curried Goat, it was great! Nice menu, didn¡¦t get to try it all. Palazini: French Style cuisine, wonderful selection, service and taste. Room Service menu gets bigger at 5:30 to include things like Filet and Charlie¡¦s Pasta, a white wine sauce pasta dish that is incredible!

Overall, the cuisine and service reflected 4 diamond quality and expectations quite well.

Pools
Main/ Swim up bar pool: great, clean, with volleyball net, floats and bar service. Mineral Pool: Great, clean and the deepest pool on property at 10 feet along one edge. Also has a bar on the edge but you have to get out and walk over for your beer. Lobby pool: Never used it due to the location from our room, but it looked nice.

Spa area
Massage was awesome, The buildings you get massaged in overhang the sea for a awesome view and relaxing sounds. The hair salon did a great job on her hair for our wedding working from a picture she brought. It was as good as or better than any other spa in the states, for sure.

Wedding
Piece of cake, thanks to our wedding planner, Nadia who laid it all out the day before and made it go so smoothly. The photograpy was very good, but the DVD came out a little grainy on the intro screens and such. I don't know if I would have bought that if I knew about the quality, but we have a useable record of our day. The photo people were friendly and experienced. No worries mon!

People
Without the people CSS would not be nearly as attractive or fun. We actually feel like we left a new bunch of our family behind after staying only 7 days. Everyone got to know us, treated us well and went out of their way to be nice and attend to our needs or requests with a level of friendly professionalism that CANNOT be faked. To name names, (in no particular order) Aldwin, Junior, Oral, Issac, Kevan, Marva, Recordo, Keston, Dave, Devon, Nadia......

We were thrilled to meet all these fine people.

Aldwin- Most of the time when we saw him he was working at the beach bar (some employees have several places they work on the resort). He was so funny and interesting to talk to. He went out of his way to make an odd request happen for me. It was my last day, and I wanted Jerk pork, but the pizza is great too. I asked him if he could get the cook to make me a jerk pork pizza (not on the menu) and before I finished another drink, there it sat, a jerk pork pizza that was AWESOME. I know it sounds small, but little things like that go a LONG way.

Junior- Always a laugh, serving drinks on his head and singing. What a friendly guy. He would see us cutting across the lawn to the pool and yell at us to come over and have a quick drink at the beach bar first. Or if we were walking through he would say "Everything irie mon?" and extend his hand for a passing handshake. GREAT GUY!

Oral- Very professional and courteous. Always Smiling (See a pattern yet? :) )He served us dinner at Cassanova.

Issac- Also served us at Casanova. Very nice and friendly.

Kevan- We usually saw him in the morning at Palazzini. Again, very nice, always smiling and eager to please.

Marva- Our Housekeeper, Marva is a very sweet person. She would leave fresh flowers and towel art in our room and would always smile and greet us when we ran into her. A truly nice person!

Recordo- What a character! The first time we saw him he was busting a move on the dance floor with another "coordinator". His job is to make sure you are having a good time, and from the dance floor to the pool bar, he was always smiling, always glad to see us and fun to be around.

Keston- Another Character! One time we were just sitting at the bar talking with another couple when he came up to us and pretended to be drunk, staggering and slurring his words like a cartoon character just to amuse us and get us laughing! Then he did a shot with us! We couldn't believe it, but later learned it was permitted within certain guidelines set by the resort. THAT is cool. It was fun to have him around!

Dave- took time with us at the pool bar talking about Jamaican culture or anything else we needed to know, answering every question we had with a smile and genuine interest. He has worked for CSS (before it was CSS) for over 4 years. He makes some awesome drinks and will make sure your glass doesn't go empty.

Devon- The strolling musician, Devon can sometimes be found in the evenings playing his saxophone in soft tones while walking the grounds. He would also serenade us at breakfast with his flute! A very talented man. He was very nice to talk to as well and is a very nice person.

Nadia- The wedding planner. Very friendly, professional and caring. She made our day very special and worry free. She handled every detail to the letter and is just a sweet person!

We named all these people on our exit survey and hope they get the recognition they deserve for being so outstanding. It amazed me that we could remember so many names, but they just made that big of an impression on us!

In summary, our stay at CSS was the best of everything, and more than we expected. It is NOT a party resort. If that is what you are looking for, CSS is probably not for you. If you are looking for a relaxed, upscale couples only resort with a great blend of entertainment and activities, you can't beat CSS.

I had a countdown on my office whiteboard going that said "xx days to Jamaica" The last day before we left, I put a zero up there. Upon return this Thursday, I simply put a three and a six in front of the zero and started the countdown all over, knowing we will go back to CSS next year.

37  Thank weddingmoon
A TripAdvisor Member
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed July 7, 2006

My husband and I just returned from a week at Couples San Souci. Things I believe people would like to know.....

Immigration/Customs takes a while. There are long lines, but they go rather quickly.

The bus ride was bumpy and took a couple of hours, but we enjoyed seeing the way Jamaican's live. People were friendly on the bus and on the way there, the driver was very informative.

ARRIVAL: Upon arrival there was a drink, but no cool towel. You go in, check in....then see the Guest Services desk for booking things such as dinner, private dinners, shopping trips....etc. Everything is in the lobby. After that, you go back out to were a bus is and they load your bags and drive you to your room.

ROOMS: The rooms are lovely. They aren't brand new. Don't expect that. Expect charm and character instead. Deep colored woods and feeling as if you are staying in a distant relatives guest room. The minibar includes Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, water, and Red Stripe. There are also many tea packets for making tea and coffee as well. The bathroom has a shower cap, shampoo/conditioner, aloe, lotion, and soaps for the guests. Plenty of towels too, including two beach towels.

FOOD: The food.....AMAZING. They leave you a breakfast slip to use for the next day if you want room service. Muffins, cheeses, cottage cheese, yogurt, toast, danishes, cereals, salmon, the list goes on and on....but no eggs. If you want eggs and more variety there is the breakfast buffet to go to. Outside is the omlet/pancake station...inside is the buffet. Some things stayed the same, some things changed. Here they have beautiful fruit carvings each morning too. Lunch and dinner are amazing. Lambchops, goat curry, steaks, fish, pasta, escargo (sp?), shrimp, calamarri, burgers, pizza to rival your favorite place to order one, and the desserts are works of art. If anyone would like to see menus for the Italian and French menus...just email me. I also have the breakfast slip to scan in my computer.

TUESDAY BEACH PARTY/HOLIDAY: We were only there for the tuesday night beach party which also happened to be the 4th of July. During the day they had olympics, were they divided couples up on opposite teams, so each "couple" won something. My husband won full sized bottles of rum that day. One for playing volleyball too. That night was like a variety show with a fire eater, limbo person, dancing, and so on. The food there was amazing too. A roasted pig even. After the dinner they had a bonfire and beach movie screen on the sand. With a recent release to watch. That day there was a palm reader as well. She did each person's fortune for $20. We did it for the novelty. It was an added something for the trip.

MARGARITTAVILLE: Do not go to the Margarittaville monday night excersion expecting it to be laid back. You leave at 11 pm and it seems on that night it is more like a dance club than Jimmy Buffett. We waited 45 minutes in line for drinks. It's crowded and loud hip hop music blares as people smoshed in together try to dance. I'm young and like clubs, but that isn't what I expected there. The gift shop there is outragous.

DUNN"S RIVER: Dunn's River is a must do. You get the most photo chances there too. Especially of you both together. The climb is a little harder than I expected, but I'm glad I went. We opted for the DVD which is $40 too. Things to know about this....when you go, take your towels and wear your bathing suits. Make sure they are tight...as the current is rough and may pull off something. Don't take your sunglasses...it's shaded the whole way up. Don't take any money but tip money, we had 2 tour guides. The man selling the DVD's will come back to your hotel at 6 pm to sell you the DVD. You just need to tell him your name and room number. Take a waterproof camera. One of the tour guides stops frequently to snap a few shots with your camera. The DVD was well worth it. Seeing you together and the people you were with is nice to have at home. It's rather well done too. Plus you show them how hard it was. :)

SERVICE: Service was just like at home. You have energetic smiling people and you have people who have to work for a living and may have had a hard day. Bartenders, Ricardo inparticular make you feel at home. All smilles. The drinks were potent. Everything I ordered I watched them make and it was about half and half when I ordered a vodka/cranberry. The maid's were appreciative when I left them gifts as tips. I brought make up and bath bombs. I brought Axe samples for the men.

SPA: While my husband went snorkling one day, I had a coconut body scrub. WONDERFUL. They had many treatments and packages on sale with a sheet about it right outside the spa. We also had a couples massage. I have paid for massages here...and that was by far the best massage I have ever had. It started to lightly rain while we were in the hut and it made it all the more peaceful. I may suggest booking this the last day you are there as you may want another one before leaving if you get it earlier. :)

VENDERS: There were venders with jewelry, carvings and paintings on the couples site itself. We bought from them and they will negotiate with you too. They do not hassle you either when walking by. There were magets, cups, shoot glasses, canes...etc available. The gift shop also had reasonably priced gift items too. Shirts, purses, paintings, rum, bath things, postcards...etc. The airpiort too is a good place to get items. Lots of stores like a mall with all the same things, except for carvings.

NUDE BEACH: We tried out the AN side of the beach. It is the most beautiful area of the beach. The pool, the view, the beach part....all better than the other side. Yes, it was hard at first to be nude. But everyone there is unique and my husband only had eyes for me. The hardest part is eating nude. It just felt silly. After 5 pm, you can be clothed and go over there to watch the sunset and take pictures. We did that too.

There are two PC's to check mail and keep in touch with people back home. People politely finish up while you are waiting. And you do the same for the next person. Yes, there are stairs to climb, but it took about five minutes for us to walk from our room up the steps to either the lobby or spa. The pools are aplenty and we waited on nothing. Everything I booked, they had a spot for. You wait in the lobby by the way for trips. Room Service is excellent. Try the BLT if you like them. Unbelievable. You can also order a bottle of house wine and bottles of Red Stripe from room service.

Feel free to email me with questions you have.

We have a photo album of the trip at pcandbc.photosite.com

• Stayed: July 2006
1 mi away
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#2 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!