“Wow, what a relaxing place.”
Review of Couples Sans Souci

Couples Sans Souci
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed January 2, 2009

This was my second trip to Jamaica, the first time we stayed in Montego Bay and I must say that I had and even better time this stay. Me and my husband stayed 5 days at this wonderful lush property. From the time we stepped off the plane and headed to the couples lounge we were treated like royalty. I couldn’t believe the customer service we experience here, and it was truly genuine. The drive to the hotel was about and hour and 30 minutes, but it went fast as me and the husband was soaking up the scenery. We made one bathroom stop at a local joint and got us some jerk chicken and juice. When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted with champagne and cool towels and were in are rooms within 15 minutes. The room was nice it was in the c block, but we did have a few issues with it, so we called the front desk and things were fixed in a prompt manner, hey you’re in Jamaica no problem. This property is absolutely beautiful, the guests were all nice and friendly, also there are some many hide away spots where you can just sit back and relax.
This is the first all –inclusive hotel where I really enjoyed the food, as well as the entertainment. The buffet and the main dining were absolutely delicious. I also enjoyed the smoothie bar that was on site. Me and the husband also had a couples massage and I must say that it was the best massage I have ever had in my life. We also did the free shopping trip I think I should have avoided that, it was the same thing in every shop and they were really aggressive. By this being are second time to Jamaica and we did several excursion the first time, we decided to do only one and that was the bob Marley tour, now lets just say that was and experience in it self and I will leave it at that. I want to end by saying that the hospitality is what makes this place so special, I had a relaxing time and I will definitely be going back.

9  Thank Nicole123Chicago_IL
Write a ReviewReviews (4,052)

Reviewed December 30, 2008

We arrived around 6pm the Saturday and check in was a breeze compared to the other “all inclusives” I have been too where it is a mad dash to the counter. At San Souci they usher you to big comfy couches with a glass of champagne and a cool towel. Check in literally took 5 minutes and then we were driven to our room. We were in A block with a gorgeous view of the pool and ocean with an in suite Jacuzzi. Our room was great, a bit dated but I feel it added to the charm of the resort.

San Souci is absolutely beautiful! So lush and well maintained - a true paradise. Yes there is a lot of stairs and walking but with so much to look at it was hardly noticeable! We spend the first two days basically exploring all the hidden nooks and crannies. The couples massage at the spa was to die for! You can’t get much better than an hour massage with your love in a cabana on the ocean! My masseur did sneak a very long peek at the “girls”, it didn’t bother me as much as it did my new husband but it makes for a pretty funny story now.

The food was AMAZING! I am an extremely picky eater, every other trip I have stuck to French fries but at San Souci I was more than comfortable and ate pretty much everything! I was very impressed with the fine dining restaurants as they were actually “fine dining”, the beach grill provided great snacks/lunches and the room service was good too! I would rate the food much higher than anywhere else I have been.

The service at San Souci is impeccable! Now when I say service I mean service, the servers, bartenders, porters, and maid service. Always very polite and friendly. They are who made us comfortable and feel at home. As for the rest of the staff I saw very little that impressed me, we both found the entertainment and guest services staff to be rude and kind of stuck up. My husband had to calm me down after guest services yelled at him for booking our excursion to Dolphin Cove online 3 months ago and not through them. It was unfortunate because this is something we have never experienced before at any resort, I was very surprised and a bit disappointed.

All in all this resort was a great place to get away, and a beautiful place to honeymoon! We LOVED the fact that there were no kids and that it was a quiet and relaxing lil’ corner of the World! Would I return? Well to Jamaica defiantly! Probably not to San Souci after we heard from many of the returning Couples guests that their other resorts are much better.

ONE LOVE

• Stayed: December 2008
9  Thank KellyKell
Reviewed December 29, 2008

This was our third visit to a Couples resort; the first two being to Couples Ocho Rios which is now being renovated and renamed Couples Tower Isle (CTI). Our first two visits were the reason for coming back a third time, but as my husband aptly pointed out, if this had been our first visit, there probably wouldn't have been anymore.

As for Sans Souci, the grounds are beautiful and the room we had was very nice with a good view. I was a little concerned that we would be unhappy with the accommodations but the only issues were that the bed was too hard for our tastes, the mini-bar/refrigerator was not always restocked, and there was no towel “art" greeting us on the bed. Nothing major, but sometimes it is the little things…

The main reason for our low scoring of this property falls on the staff's shoulders and management’s failure to ensure stock items were available.

There were only a handful of people who really made us feel like we were being "welcomed home". From the guest services person who stated we were "lucky" to be credited three days for our past two stays of 14 days, to the entertainment person who didn't know anything about the wood carving session (on their printed itinerary of daily offerings), to being told "it's full" rather tersely and no alternate time offered when trying to go tubing, the staff often came across as indifferent to the guests.

At CTI we were always greeted warmly, with a smile, and a “what can I get for milady” (a term I became quite fond of as I’m not over 50 and dislike being called “ma’am”). There were few service personnel that had genuinely warm smiles (Machel certainly made up for some of the others on this front; he comes across as a very nice young man) and rarely a “milady” was heard at Sans Souci.

We did not find the Scuba people to be as personable as at CTI, activities did not go off on schedule, and after seven days at Sans Souci the most fun we could say we had was at the fishing contest with Derven (who actually seemed to like his job and the guests). His commentary as the event progressed and ended had everyone smiling.

My husband is a restaurant manager so we notice things like the beach bar being out of light beer three times and once having no beer on tap available at all. Also, the Beach Grill has a fish sandwich on it's menu but once I was told they didn't have any and another time I was told I'd have to wait 10 minutes which quickly stretched out to at least double that amount of time.

Even getting replacement beach towels was an issue. I turned in two wet towels but they only had one which they handed me (no explanation as to when or why-employee just sort of stood there and looked at me) so I pulled one back out of the return bin (not mine as it was dry… ugh). Sometimes I would turn in a beach towel and be handed a bath towel...just make sure you get a receipt for two beach towels before you leave or you will supposedly get charged at checkout.

The first night of our visit we ate at "Bella Vista" - it started out okay but turned into an extremely long all night meal without any explanation...for the life of me I thought they must be going back to the main building to get our food. The table next to us gave up before they had their entree. Nothing worth the wait, in fact, I don't remember what we had.

Overall there were only a few bright spots when it came to food. A wonderful Parmesan Custard at lunch and a nice dinner and server (Anne Marie - she was extremely pleasant, smiled and made suggestions) at the Palazzina Restaurant (overall they tried harder here than at the Beach Grill/Bella Vista), and the repeat guest dinner steak were the highlights. Room service for dinner was late and not as good as our meal at Palazzina but breakfast room service was on time.

Entertainment was not always that entertaining. Beach Party night included a fashion show (an advertisement for the gift shop). Although it turned into a cute little scene at the end, they need to just announce at the end that the fashions are available in the gift shop. The steel drum band was exceptional but the music at the party afterwards was for the entertainment staff. Very few guests were into it. Jamerican Idol was fun and there was a strolling solo saxophonist who was excellent, but at the Friday night Gala, although the band was good, the singer was really not up to par. And why is she singing Gloria Gaynor’s “I Will Survive” at a Couples resort? A romantic song it is not. In comparison, the band and singer brought in for a wedding were a pleasure to listen to.

As for being repeat guests, we were invited to the dinner but not offered our t-shirts, etc. So we went back to guest services for a third time where we received the "lucky" remark from one employee but another (who was very nice but unfortunately I did not get his name) verified our previous stays and then we were acknowledged accordingly except for the "departure snack"...I didn't say anything as I wanted to see if they would remember and they didn't....another check mark in the "guess they don't read what they put in writing" box and definitely not the way to keep people wanting to come back.

We hope that the Couples San Souci management pays attention to these reviews as the general consensus from fellow guests with Couples and Sandels resorts experience was that Sans Souci didn't measure up.

7  Thank mikala2008
Reviewed December 29, 2008

We have been to the other Couples Resorts and looked forward to trying Sans Souci. We were not disappointed, and although Swept Away remains our favorite ( for beach and location )- we will visit Sans Souci again and recommend it to friends.

We were in a Large Suite in Block F, above and behind the Lobby- very convenient location, we explored the grounds daily, there are stairs and paths all over- each day you can discover more of the beauty, ponds with turtles, a gigantic Cotton Tree, seaside nooks where you can sit alone......
The Suite had 2 flat panel TV's , a balcony with a large chaise for 2 and panoramic views of the hills and sea. We were able to watch the nightly entertainment while enjoying dinner on our balcony.

The Food was the best among the 4 resorts, consistently. Casanova was on par with a 5 Star restaurant Italian restaurant in San Francisco. Every meal we had was excellent- including Room Service, which we used most days, if only for a late lunch, relaxing on our balcony. One day, at 1pm, we pre-ordered dinner for 9pm and it showed up promptly, with a bottle of Champagne. The buffets were also exceptional at lunch and breakfast.

Service is flawless at Sans Souci, at every level, from the Gift Shop to Housekeeping to the Spa Staff. Our massages were professional and romantic, in a hut on the seaside cliffs. We met many Staff members, sometimes just wandering the lush tropical grounds and everyone was warm and friendly. Front Desk staff was professional and helpful, when needed. We met Mr Battaglia - the General Manager, who can be seen daily checking on his well run property,

Sans Souci is quieter than the other resorts - which we enjoyed. It WAS mostly couples, like ourselves, enjoying a tranquil vacation alone- there were no loud groups at dinner or during nightly entertainment. ( We really loved that, as Swept Away often has loud & boozey groups, which is not as conducive
to a romantic meal or evening together )

Sans Souci is located in the perfect spot to sightsee around Ocho Rios, Ferngully, Nine Mile, etc. or you can stay on grounds and enjoy the serenity and top notch service. WaterSports are included in your stay and the beach is private.

Couples Jewel of Jamaica exceeded our expectations.

8  Thank PStoSF
Reviewed December 24, 2008

Couples Sans Souci is a lush and tropical beachfront resort, nestled on a cliff, a few kilometers to the east of Ocho Rios, Jamaica. While Ocho Rios, itself, is an absolute mess of cruise tourists and souvenir hawkers, Sans Souci is entirely secluded from the chaos of the cruise port. My wife and I have been to several other resorts in the Couples chain, but this was our first time to Sans Souci. While it was not our favorite Couples property, we were more than satisfied with the quality of the resort, spent a restful and rejuvinating week, and truly regretted to leave.

What most stands out about Sans Souci is excellent dining and a fantastic spa. In the evening, all guests at the resort have a choice of three restaurants: Cassanova (formal Italian), Palazzina (semi-formal French) and Bella Vista (informal Caribbean). The menu and food preparation at Cassanova is superb and the indoor pianist brings life to the dining room. The crusted lamb tenderloin was perhaps the best prepared lamb I've ever experienced and the service was top notch. The Balloon Bar, adjacent to Cassanova, is a great place to stop for before dinner cocktails. The meals at Palazzina and Bella Vista were also very good. Bella Vista requires no reservations, but the tables directly on the beach usually have a waiting list. The shrimp and scotch bonnett "soup of the day" at Bella Vista was the best I had all week. A few notes about dining: Plan to make your dinner reservations for Cassanova and Palazzina a day in advance, as the popular dinner time slots fill up quickly. Guests at Couples are not required to wear wristbands and there are no limitations on where you can eat, when, and how often, regardless of the room category you book (this also includes watersports). Take advantage of this and enjoy good food while you have the chance! The restaurants are unavailable on Tuesdays and Fridays, due to the Beach Party and the Gala nights, respectively. Both are well worth attending. The restaurants serve lobster on Wednesdays, when it is in season.

Guests at Charlie's Spa enjoy one of the best locations for a spa in the Caribbean. It is located on a cliff and hidden away in the midst of palms, waterfalls, natural springs, and tropical foliage. All of the treatment rooms overlook the sea, making for a heavenly experience. The spa includes a fitness facility, a mineral pool, a mineral grotto, a fresh juice bar, and a resident sea turtle (Charlie) who nears a hundred years old and makes an appearance at 10 am every morning for feeding. If nothing else, plan to spend an afternoon on the mineral pool deck, enjoy the lush surroundings and sound of the waterfall, and indulge in the fresh fruit concoctions.

The rooms at Sans Souci are all suites and vary from ocean view rooms on a cliff and beach front rooms a short walk from the main beach. Each room includes room service, which took, on average, 30 minutes to arrive. Our Oceanview Balcony Suite, located in the F block was large and well-appointed and included two flat screen TVs, a mini bar, and relatively new furnishings. We had no problems with water temperature or insects. My only substantial complaint about the resort was the quality of the view from our balcony. The room would have been better described as a garden view, as our view of the Caribbean was almost completely blocked by palms and foliage. From the room descriptions, we expected something much better. Although, from an examination of the hotel, better balcony views were to be had, depending on the luck of the draw. I noticed that some guests also complain about the number of steps between the rooms on the cliff and the beach. Although we were not at all bothered by the five minute walk (I actually liked being a bit remote), guests with disabilities or mobility problems, or who would be otherwise bothered by steps to and from the beach, would be best to book one of the beachfront rooms.

What helped make our vacation such a remarkable experience were the resort's subtle nuances that did not have to be, but made our stay more memorable. The saxaphonist at sunset was a nice touch. The champagne and cheese selection that was delivered without notice was much appreciated. The resident birds, fish, and turtle add life to the resort's atmosphere. The movie on the beach, that was not listed as a daily activity, helped make for a good night.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. I'd enjoy reliving the week.

7  Thank Hoss27
Reviewed December 17, 2008

This will be an ongoing review so the information stays fresh in my head. My Wife and I arrived at Couples Sans Souci Monday evening with my brother and his girlfriend. Everything was so far good to go from the flight to the ride to the resort. Everyone was excited and I was looking forward to seeing how SS compared to Sandals Montego Bay, where I had stayed previously. Upon arriving at the resort our bags were taken off the truck and we sit down in some large couches in the lobby, check in was quick and easy and in a relatively short amount of time we were being brought to our rooms. Our rooms were both in the D Block of buildings, the room is a typical Carribbean room nothing special, about the same as the room at Sandals, the only thing is that this room is advertised as a Suite, all the rooms at this resort are. Im not quite sure why it is called a suite, maybe because it has a small cabinet with a couple budget spirits in it and a mini fridge with a few cans of Soda, but again not a big deal, and it is nice being able to make yourself a drink when the bars closed. My wife and I were happy with the room and we started unpacking. I went down to see how my brother was doing and apparently there was some confusion between Couples and Orbitz with who he booked through as he was supposed to get a Jaquzzi suite and he didnt. After a bit of calling back and forth he finally got the issue straightened out. The problem with the room was not only the Jaquzzi however. My brother is allergic to mold, particularly black mold it gives him an instant head ached and sickness. When he told me the room smelled like mold I thought he was overexagerating and I went down to the room myself, the couch in the room was covered with mold and the room smelled horribly like mold. He was moved to another room in B block and it did seem to be a nice room with a view over looking the pool. We all decided to go to dinner at the one restaurant that doesnt need reservations, it is located on the beach and takes over the area that is the beach grill during the day. We were seated on the beach, but I think the table needed another candle cause it was so dark, but not a big deal. we ordered our food after waiting a few minutes and about 15 minutes later the appetizers and soups started coming out, the food was great and we were really looking forward to our main meal, after all it was the first any of us had eaten after being on the plane all day long. An hour and fifteen minutes later, our food finally came (remember the place is nearly empty), we were hesitant to ask for more because it had taken so long, we expected the portions to be small but we also expected to be asked if we would like any more. We ate our dinner and ordered dessert and after another long wait it was brought out, the dessert was not very good, and the whipped cream on top of the cake I had was cool whip...4 Star cool whip I guess. The food was descent but the selection was poor and the dessert was horrid. We walked away disappointed and hoped the rest of the stay would be better. My brother returned to his room to change as did my wife and I, we met at the lobby to go to Margaritaville, bus left at 11pm and let me just say it was quite a waste of time. Dont take the resort trip it is pointless, I imagine the best time to go to margaritaville if you are going is during the day, during the night it is a half empty dance club with mostly locals. The next morning I went down to go scuba diving and the dive was delayed because the water would be to murky, in the meantime I ran into my brother and he told me he had to move two more times the prior night. The first time was because they had gotten into bed and all of a sudden were getting bitten by something, they pulled the covers back and the bed was full of red ants, his girlfriend had bites all over her legs. The went to the desk told them of the problem and were given another room, but this time they had to move all of their stuff by themselves, they were moved to another room in B Block, and when they got into the room it stank of stale smoke and "dirty men" (my brothers description). He was moved to a nice room in the center of A Block, he went to take a shower and the shower head started spinning around...frustrated on moving again he said screw it. My wife and I had decided to get something to eat at the beach grill when we got back from Margaritaville, we went down to the beach grill and there was one gentleman working there and several other employs, they were all talking to each other, after finally getting a chance to order some food we learned that after 11PM only burgers, pizza, and jerk pork were available. we ordered what we could and quite a while later, when it was conveinant for him to stop talking to his buddies we got our food. We wife hit the nail on the head when she said to me, "you know I just dont feel comfortable here, almost like Im an inconveinence" and that is exactly how the staff made us feel that first night we were there, like an inconveinance. This is all the first night and we hoped that day two would be better.

Day Two

As I said before the morning dive was cancelled because of visibility. I was told to try again at 11. At 11 I did try again and we were able to go out, the visibility was bad but at least I got a dive in. I went back to the pool and started drinking a bit, I ran into two bartenders at the pool, Gregg and Santana, both who were bar tender trainees. These two guys were the first ones that actually made me feel like I was on vacation, now if the rest of the staff could learn from these guys. we hung around the pool all day, and the only issue was when my brother went to speak with management. He was directed to the assistant manager who told him it was his fault that he didnt get put in the proper room because orbitz didnt get him the proper paper work. He was told that the resort had already moved him four times and they had done all they could do, the manager argued with my brother was defensive of the problems and extremely unprofessional, my brother requested to see the actual manager and after much arguing was brought into a plush office to talk to Pierre, Pierre told him how sorry he was and said he didnt realize all the troubles he had been running into. My brother elected not to move again but did want the shower repaired. Pierre supposedly sent someone down immediately to fix it (still broken this morning) but did call the following morning and gave my brother and his girlfriend to comp excursions to the canopy tour, a nice gesture but still doesnt make up for what they had to go through in my eyes. I took a little nap and then went to the beach party. The selection of food was mediocre, the desserts were horrible, and the entertainment was second rate. The Sandals Montego bay beach party had an incredible array of food, excuisite desserts, fire blowers, dancers, a band and several other acts, remember this is supposed to be a higher rated resort and I wasnt even supposed to stay here i was supposed to stay at Couples tower island, but it did not open in time and I was told that this resort would be an upgrade from my previous reservations. We went to bed after the beach party.]

Day three
The sunrises and sunsets are beautiful, the resort is a beautiful place with greenery throughout. But it is a bit run down, understandably so being on the ocean and all, but what there isnt an excuse for is th mold and mildew on the pool floats, why? I mean come on people if the float has mold on it and you are supposede to be such a highly acclaimed resort then why? I dont get it. any how I went to go scuba this morning and again was told we would not being going out because of the poor vis and to check back tommorow....what a surprise. We all went to eat breakfast at the one and only place to grab breakfast and it had its pluses and minuses. The food on the buffet wasnt very good, especially the runny scrambled eggs, but the guy on the omelette bar was doing a great job. Today is day three and I am less than impressed but I will keep an open mind and hope that this place turns around. So far the food quality is subpar, the service is very subpar, and the activities, well I think they need a new activities director....we will see what happens, I havnt complained to anyone yet but if this continues I may let them know how Sandals compares to their operation. Right now I have to recommend Sandals Montego Bay for anyone visiting.

Photos will be posted on the completion of the trip, Ill post the good with the bad.

4  Thank jasonambrosino
Reviewed December 15, 2008

Although I had a good time, I would never stay at Couples San Souci again. From the start, when we arrived there was a letter in our room that said that they apoligize for the inconvience because there was no hot water. In the next six days, that would happen five more times. There is nothing worse than coming from the pool or beach,covered with lotion and sand, only to be unable to shower because there is no hot water. Lotion does not wash off in cold water, even if I had chosen to take one. We did call the front desk to complain, and were told that it was not a problem. Maybe not for them, but it was for us, especially with what this trip cost us.

Another problem that we had was the fact that premium liquor was not available. We are both tequila drinkers and the only tequila that they had tasted like what we would imagine cleaning fluid would taste like. That complaint was addressed by the bar manager, who said that his supplier went out of business and that was why he did not have premium liquor.

Twice , for lunch, we ate at the beach grill at the main beach.
Both times the waiter, after about 30 minutes came back to our table and asked what we had ordered. He had forgotten to put in our order.

The trip was not completely bad. The food for dinner, was absolutely fantastic and the service for dinner was great.

We met some really fun people, especially at the au natural beach, which did make the trip better.

If you can overlook these things, and I can't, then stay at Couples San Souci.

2  Thank johnmari
1 mi away
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#2 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!