“Second Trip - Welcome Home”
Review of Couples Sans Souci

Couples Sans Souci
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Melissa, Texas
“Second Trip - Welcome Home”
Reviewed August 27, 2014

All the awesome things you have read about Couple's Sans Souci is true. The staff at CSS are essentially what make this resort the best place to stay. They go out of there way to make you comfortable and ensure you are enjoying your stay. We were married at CSS last year (2013) and returned this year (2014) for our first anniversary.

The wedding staff is fabulous and make sure everything goes without a hitch. The photographer is great and captures all the special moments. The dining room staff is awesome and the food is pretty good too. We loved ordering from the menu at the restaurants as opposed to eating at a buffet like you do at so many other all inclusive resorts. We had a couple's massage in a cabana on the cliffs and the ladies were great. Our housekeeper was friendly and helpful. If you are diver, make sure see Nicholas down at the dive shop. If you are an early riser you may catch "FM" singing on the beach, and that's a real treat.

Make sure if you are a repeat guest that you attend the special dinner as there are prizes to win. The Starlight Gala is fantastic and it takes them literally all day to get everything setup and ready to go, and the Beach Party is fun too. We did Dunn's River Falls this year and had a blast. So make sure you don't miss out on all the fun and awesomeness that this quiet, relaxing resort has to offer. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Buildings A and B are easy access to the beach. Other buildings are on the cliffs and have an amazi...
2 Thank WD-Anderson
CouplesSocialMgr, Public Relations Manager at Couples Sans Souci, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Hi WD-Anderson,

Congratulations on your Anniversary and we hope you are working on trip number 3? T hank you for your review and we are of course delighted to know that you had another wonderful experience with us.

We have shared all of your accolades with the Staff and can't wait to welcome you back home soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,295)
Dallas, TX
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Just back from 8 wonderful days at CSS, this was our 5th trip and it felt just like going home. We arrived at 1:25 on Friday – right on time. We had pre-booked the Club MoBay arrival service and the immigration line did not look too long when we first got there but within 10 minutes it was back up to the ramp. We had about a 20 minute wait for our shuttle before we were off to the resort. The bus driver was very informative and the bus had free Wi-Fi on board so the trip flew by.

When we arrived they had our pre check-in information and our Romance Rewards gift and credit was waiting for us. We received a room in the G Block (G-6) which we had requested prior to arrival. We love the G Block for the huge rooms, balconies and view from the cliff but it is not particularly near anything but the lobby and Casanova. Toiletries included “conditioning shampoo” and shower gel in dispensers in the shower and lotion in a dispenser by the sink. I personally bring a separate conditioner because it is not sufficient for my hair. Wi-Fi in our room was excellent but could be spotty throughout the resort.

Food was generally very good to great. Jerk chicken and fries covered in jerk sauce is now my favorite beach food. A massage in the huts on the cliffs is a must, other than scuba diving we let sand gravity take hold. The resort was not full and there was always a quiet place to relax or a livelier place to socialize. All in all we had a great trip and we will be back.

A few things we noted this time:
You can no longer request mini-bar items from room service – you must fill out the hanging tag. Our room was pre-stocked with liquor and coke but getting diet Coke turned out to be an ordeal.
When you order from room service you can still get a bottle of champagne but wine is only served in a carafe.

The Martini bar is a great addition and Q the bartender is great! Right but the D block is a gem that has yet to be discovered by most guests but for some reason there is no breeze here so it gets HOT!

Drink menus are at all bars now if you need help thinking of an order. We loved Vernie! She was the best bartender we’ve had in a while – she asked our names our first time to the bar and she remembered us and our drinks all week.

I am so tired of the beach party – I heard Palazzinos is now open as an alternative – we ordered room service instead.

Dive crew was great as always – Nicolas had us laughing the whole time and Leon remembered us from our previous trips. We did a night dive our first night down – it was awesome.

Repeaters dinner was a bit of a letdown. There were more people there than places and we wound up at a table without a Couples representative. It is also the same night as lobster night and since its surf and turf you only get half a tail. I do wish they would move the dinner, perhaps to the beach party on Tuesday since all the repeaters I talked to would be happy to skip it.
Breakfast was a bit disappointing this year.

The fresh fruit selection was small and the buffet style dishes were generally subpar. Luckily the omelet/egg station was as good as ever.

Room Tip: The higher the room the better the view.
5 Thank AAS
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 24, 2014

We have been to two of the Couples Resorts in Jamaica...Sans Souci is amazing. The staff is unlike any staff that I have encountered, everyone stops to say hi and engages in a conversation with you, very genuine. The resort is smaller and more intimate and has a "campy" feel which we loved. Be prepared for a little walking if you are not beach front, however the walks are beautiful. Lastly it must be said that the food is amazing and the desserts are beyond amazing.

Room Tip: Go for the upgrade to beach front.
3 Thank Shannon H
HI Shannon H,

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having you vacation with us again soon.

Mocksville, North Carolina
Reviewed August 24, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed every bit of it. This was the first all inclusive place we had been and we'll definitely return. If you love food and unlimited alcohol, this is the place to be. The hosts will play games with you as well.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Byron W
Bryon W,

Thank you for your review from your vacation with us and hope you will return soon.

Lincoln
Reviewed August 23, 2014

We just finished our first week back from paradise and just now getting time to write this. Grab a cup of coffee or a rum punch because this may take a while.

I will start by saying this is our 5th trip to Couples and second to CSS so we have a pretty good idea what to expect.

We arrived about 1:10PM after an uneventful flight. We used Club MoBay last year and booked both arrival and departure again this year. Karen met us on the ramp as promised. She checked our paperwork then took us to immigration. There were maybe 3 couples in front of us. I looked over at the normal line and it was not overly crowded. About a minute later I looked back at the ramps and people were flooding down both sides. If we had not used Club MoBay and arrived 5 minutes later we would have been in line a very long time.

We cleared immigration, waited a few minutes for our bags then cleared customs. Karen took us to the Couples lounge to check in then we went to try the rum punch at Club MoBay. All I can say is they do not skimp on the rum. They were great. I had two and could feel them. Of course it probably helped that we had three drinks on our flight. 

We waited maybe 15 minutes for the shuttle then we were on our way. The ride took about 1 hour and 45 minutes. I think our driver did not want to get a speeding ticket but hey, he got us there safely.

We arrived and were greeted with a warm welcome home. We booked a beachfront suite and our room was ready. As many people post our room could possibly be called a little dated but it was fine for us. It was always clean and we had a GREAT view. We were in B31. The only real issue to start was the A/C unit. From the time we checked in we had it on the coldest setting and highest fan setting and it struggled to get the bedroom portion comfortable. The bathroom would get a little warm but not unbearable. Our mini bar was not stock as requested at that time we got to the room but by the time we returned from the beach to get ready for the Starlight Gala it was stocked just as we requested.

The Starlight Gala was great. Met some nice people, the food was superb as usual and the entertainment was nice.

I read somewhere on one of the posts about Miquel having a special omelet. He was not working Saturday but Sheldon was. I asked if he had a special and he said yes so I asked him to make me one. It was a very nice spicy way to start the day. I had another one on Sunday. He told me he was working but not at the omelet station but to just ask for him and he would come out and make it. I told the waitress that and added I did not want to get him in trouble. She told me it was no problem and the bosses like it when the guests like what someone does enough to ask for them.

Hit the beach and pool next. We had not been to CSS since 2010. I remember a hurricane hitting that part of the island in I think 2012. It seems like the beach had more dips or craters that what we remember and a little more seaweed. But maybe it was just us. Not a deal breaker by any means.

I would try the bartenders own specials and they were all good. Tanisha was working the pool bar most every day we were there. I think she can make just about any drink you could ask for. She never disappointed. One afternoon I switched to Margaritas when she was working. All I can say is WOW. They were some of the best I have ever had. I do not even remember how many she made for me. Hehe..

Another person at the beach bar and pool bar was Akem. Akem had a name tag that said Work Experience Trainee. I had seen Trainee before on the name tags but not Work Experience Trainee. I never asked anyone if there was a difference or not. Akem always had a smile on his face and asked how we were and if we needed anything. He also makes some good drinks. My wife asked him how he is always happy even when he is working. He told us you have to be happy. You don’t want to go around sad or mad all the time even when working. You just have to try and have fun and find something to be happy and thankful for. A thought we can all probably use.

Monday Miquel was at the omelet station. I had some of his specials the rest of the week. I would never have tried them off a menu at home but so glad I did when I was there. A jerk omelet, jerk chicken omelet, spicy omelet and last but not least a cod and I think aki omelet. They were all delicious.

We ate at the Pallazina, Bella Vista and Casanova and we never had a bad meal. The Beach Party had a large selection of food and everything we tried was very good.

The repeaters dinner went above and beyond as usual. Mr. Johnson (I can’t remember his first name) who is the manager for the grounds and environmental was at our table. He was very nice and informative. We learned a lot about CSS from him. After dinner he took us to see the beachfront suite that had been remodeled. It was very nice. There was one bad thing for the evening. You are asked to RSVP so they know how many meals to prepare and how many managers to have to be with the guests. There were three tables that were completely empty. With the setting they had that is 24 people who said they were going to come to the dinner but did not show up. I’m sorry but that is extremely rude. I understand things can come up but at least have the decency to call and cancel.

While I’m complaining about guests we saw something else I could believe happen. For two days in a row a man who did not appear to be an actual Couples employee worked on tearing out a section of concrete sidewalk, replacing it and doing the design to match the rest of the sidewalk by hand. We got up the next morning and saw where some people had written their names and initials in the concrete when it was still wet. It appeared around 4 people or couple who had done that. Come on people GROW UP!!! That is something you do at home on your own sidewalk or patio. Not on someone else’s property.

We have never been to Tower Isle so we did the trading places Monday. It seemed very nice and the employees seemed very nice also for the short time we were there. Around 10:00 or 10:30am we were walking up the stairs by the main pool. I was looking around and bumped into one of the metal loungers. (never saw any metal chairs at the other resorts) and took a chunk out of my leg. We went to the lobby and asked the nice girl at Guest Services for a band aid. She sent me to the nurse who fixed me up as good as she could. We stayed around for a little while and had lunch but my leg kept bleeding a little. While we were eating lunch I saw another girl do the same thing I did but she did not cut her leg. After lunch we went back to the lobby and asked Guest Services to call us a cab to go back to CSS because my leg was still bleeding some. She asked if I needed to see the burse again and I told her no. We just needed to go back to CSS so I could put my leg up. We went and sat down to wait for the cab and she came over and told us she called the shuttle bus and it would be there in a few minutes. One of the wedding coordinators came over to see if we needed anything. They were all so nice and helpful.

I lost about 2 ½ days of beach time because of my leg. Did this distract from our vacation? Of course it did. Did it wreck our vacation? Not a chance. We were at Couples. No problem Mon!

We met Hugh McKoy who I believe is one of the restaurant managers. He was very nice and informative. He told us about a wine tasting they were having Thursday evening. We like wine but do not really know a lot about it. Every time we saw him he reminded us about it and asked if we were coming. It was very fun and we learned a lot about wine from him. It was well worth our time.

A couple other people we need to mention is Keston who was a waiter at Pallazina and Easton who was a bartender at Pallazina in the morning and at lunch. Both were a couple great guys and a lot of fun.

Milton and Jody Ann were two of the activity people and were very funny. They remembered your name and always tried to get people involved.

We had to call for maintenance twice. The first time one of us put the wrong code on the safe and the next morning we could not get it open. I called and within 10 minutes the shift manager was there and opened it for us. The other time the valve on the toilet stopped working so no water was getting in. Again I called and within 10 minutes they were there. Thought they could just change the valve but they ended up replacing the entire toilet.

Housekeeping was great. The room was always clean and fresh towels in place. They seemed to have snuck in because the only time we saw them was one time my wife had to go back to the room to get something and they were cleaning the room.

I’m glad I saw the note about getting a receipt for you towels on your last day. Not all of the resorts do that. I could understand if they had the Couples logo or something on them but they are just plain white towels. I wish they would make the towel procedure uniform for all the resorts. They did run out of towels at 2:30 and 3:00 on two of the days.

Friday was the depressing day because we had to leave. Check out easy and the bus ride was only about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Checked in with the airline then went to the Club MoBay desk. She got us to the short line for security which only took a few minutes. Found our gate, did a little shopping then went to the Club MoBay lounge. Last year there was hardly anyone there. This year there were a lot of people using the lounge. We enjoy it. It is cool, clean good food and drinks which are all included in the price.

To sum it up we had another great time at CSS. I can’t wait until we book our next trip. Hopefully it will be next year. I think my wife wants to try Tower Isle next but she also likes CSS and CN so who knows where we will end up. We had a bad experience at CSA last year so it may be a while before we return there.

Torch056

8 Thank torch056
Dear Torch 056,

So glad you had a great vacation with us at Couples Sans Souci and even got a chance to visit Couples Tower Isle. We are sorry about your leg and hope you are ok now .

On another note…because we are always striving to exceed expectations – would you mind dropping me an email regarding your last stay at Couples Swept Away at jasm@couples.com and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

We went to CSS in Jamaica for the first time on August 1 and stayed until August 7th of this year. We had a wonderful time. This was our first experience with an all inclusive resort and we weren't disappointed one bit. From the minuet the plane landed, we were greeted with friendly smiles and warm welcomes. The ride to the resort from Montego Bay Airport was about 2 hours but the scenery was very nice and the driver gave us lots of information. Upon arrival a CSS, our room was not ready yet, so they sent us down to get lunch and when we were finished our room was ready. The room was awesome. CSS is on a cliff side so the views were spectacular. We had an ocean view and a perfect view of the sunset at night. We had room service for dinner and watched the sunset, they even gave us candles. The staff is amazing and always warm and friendly and helpful. We loved Ricardo, Martin and Delroy at the beach bar. They make you feel like family and would do anything you ask. We are definately looking forward to going back, from now on we are CSS all the way.

5 Thank April T
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
Reviewed August 18, 2014

This was the absolute best place EVER!!! My husband and I got married on the beach here and it was a dream come true. The whole experience was greater than I could ever have imagined, from the accommodations to the service.The beauty of the grounds was amazing. You can see the pride that is taken in the care of the grounds and the facilities as well as in the highest level of service in taking care of the guests. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank April C
CouplesSocialMgr, Public Relations Manager at Couples Sans Souci, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear AprilC,

Thank you for your review. It is a pleasure to know that you had such an absolutely divine vacation experience and we can't wait to welcome you back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocho Rios
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!