“Best time ever!”

Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Sherman Oaks, CA
“Best time ever!”
Reviewed October 30, 2008

My husband and I stayed at CSS from Sept. 6 through 13 and we had a great experience.

Room. Our room was clean and mold free. TV and A/C working properly, mini bar re-filled everyday and housekeeping twice a day, what more can you ask for? Yes, there were renovations going on there during our stay (I think they were finishing up blocks A and B) but it didn’t bother us. Like everyone else says, you have two choices of rooms: the once that are close to the beach, beach bar and Palazzina restaurant, which they call beach-front Jacuzzi rooms, and the once that are on top of the stairs, which have a great view of the ocean and sunset.

Food and Drinks. Our favorite place to eat was Palazzina for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is an outdoor place with great views overlooking the ocean. At breakfast it was almost always empty because they serve it from 7 to 11am, so you don’t have to rush yourself in the morning. Awesome omelet station and decent choices of fruit, juices, and pastry. Lunch is served from 12:30 to 5 pm with different choices of meat, fish, vegetables, soups and salads. Dinner menu has good appetizers but for the main course I would advise to stick to the dinner special. We went to the Cassanova restaurant once and although the place looks a little more chic, the food was just OK. Beach grill serves delicious fries, jerk pork and chicken till 5am, we had many late night snacks there and everything was quite tasty. All blended drinks taste almost the same, so be specific of what exactly it is you want in your drink.

The Beach. Hanna and Ike did have a bit of effect on the clarity of water, our first 2 days I was a bit disappointed because there was a lot of seaweed on the beach and water looked a bit muddy. But the beach was all cleaned up by the staff and the water became that amazing turquoise color again by our 3rd day. I strongly recommend to do as many water activities as possible, we went on boat rides, scuba, snorkeling – we did it all! We never had any issues finding shade at the beach and it was never crowded. The hotel grounds are magnificent and very well kept.

The People! I love, absolutely love, everyone from CSS. Forgive me if I forget some names but Kimberly, Camoy, Nora, Hakeem, Nadia, Nolan, Christopher, Doran, Adrian, Garsia, Tamika and many many others, who made our stay pleasurable and truly worry-free – I hope to come back to CSS and see you guys again!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Alexandra_The_Great

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,299)
Nebraska
Reviewed October 29, 2008

Jamaica is beautiful. With that being said, I was not a huge fan of the resort. Our first night was plagued with rats/mice in our hotel room, in our clothes, possibly on the bed while we slept. It took the resort over 8 hours the next day to remedy the problem (with a new room) and the staff was extremely rude about the entire situation. We were asked several times in a very sarcastic manner if the new room suited our needs, as though a rat-free environment was an obscene request.

Beyond that, we had a pretty good time. The room service food was terrible, but the restaurants are amazing. Go every night if you can schedule it.

The mineral pool was fantastic and the mineral jacuzzi is hidden and romantic. If you're going, just check your room thoroughly for droppings.

• Liked — The beach
  • Disliked — The rats
1 Thank heartmouth
Hillsborough NC
Reviewed October 29, 2008

What can I say about airplanes and such that hasn’t been said before…hmmm. Nothing really. I did notice that Customs took longer than we’ve been used to over the last couple of trips, but even so, we were in the departure lounge in 30mins or so from the deplaning.

Ah, the Couples lounge! Got to see Everald, but had just missed Bryon by a matter of minutes. A couple of Red Stripes and some catching up on the year past and we were ready to make the trip to the resort. Our driver was great but really quiet…no problem once I had some of that Yow’s chicken in hand halfway to the resort. Travel time was about 1.5 hrs.

Upon arrival at the resort, we were being handed our room keys and repeaters shirts within minutes, but no welcome drink or towel. Where’s Ainsworth when ya need him. ;) Staff was exceptionally nice, and a little oversight like this is no big deal.

The room we had was D-23 and had a pretty neat view of the central “jungle” of the resort as well as a pretty good view of the ocean over the tops of the foliage. Loved the walk in showers (hooray for CTI going this route) and the little living room area was a cool touch. Nice to have a mini-bar as well to keep some juice on hand. The room was promptly cleaned every morning, and the lady (who’s name I’ve now forgotten ) was fantastic and sweet. Mini-bar refill service was awesome and they kept up with our little requests perfectly.

The bars at Sans Souci were reminiscent of the COR bars (maybe because I convinced myself of this) as I found myself calling the Balloon Bar the “Piano Bar” more than once, and the beach bar (our favorite…GREAT staff) was a fantastic alternative to our old favorite roost at COR. Drinks were fantastic, conversation was great, but where the heck is my beloved Ting? ;) Ask me how many Bob Marley shots I did between 3 and 6pm on Wednesday… :-P We also loved the smoothie bar down by the mineral pool which DID have Ting and fantastic drinks to get you going for the day. Shame we only saw Charlie once while we were down that way…she loves her cave!

The restaurants were all fantastic with the exception of one particular steak at La Palazzina that didn’t really fit me as a meat eater Too well done and 80% fat. All of our breakfasts (second breakfasts, really…great room service) and buffet lunches were fantastic, though. We LOVED the meals we ate at the beach grill/Bella Vista both lunch and dinner and the jerk sauce here really stood out. We ate Cassanova one night, and weren’t particularly fond of it, but it wasn’t bad food…just not what we wanted for the night, really.

The beach at CSS is very nice, and I still got that feeling of “home” by being in a nice secluded cove free of noise and distraction. The water was rough due to a couple of Tropical depressions/storms out to sea, but we still had a blast on our floaties! More seaweed on the ocean floor than I’m used to, but no problems, mon.

We didn’t really participate in any watersports, but the folks at the hut were friendly and didn’t laught too much at my 6’7” 270lb frame TRYING to use the darn paddleboats. ;)

We particularly enjoyed visiting Sunset Beach after 5pm for the sunsets. Having gone to COR and having a fantastic sunrise each morning, this gave us yet another new and beautiful experience.

We did get to see Kirk and Byron and even stumped them on a reggae song Kirk was singing last year that has been in our heads since…though our phone eventually rang and there he was with the answer!

I’m typing this while *ahem* working, so feel free to ask questions as I know something will be missing from this post. ;)

• Liked — Staf!
  • Disliked — Steps...but no biggie
1 Thank Kris_and_Jamie
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed October 27, 2008

My husband and I stayed here Oct. 11-18th. Before this trip my husband was against all-inclusive resorts. Couples Sans Souci changed his mind. We had a great trip and would not think twice about going back. Now with this being said, it was not perfect.

We arrived in Montego Bay in the early afternoon. After we got our bags we found the Couples lounge. Here you can get either Red Stripe beer or water. This is one of the only times you need to worry about tipping. After about a 20 minute wait, we got in a shuttle and off we went. The ride was long but interesting. They did stop at the rest stop on the way there. Word to the wise, unless you really have to use the bathroom, do not leave the shuttle. They charge you to use the bathroom and are trying to push marijuana at you. The driver made us wait about 15 minutes before leaving, even though we were all ready to go. Once we arrived at the resort we were greeted with a cool towel and champagne. Check in was a breeze.

THE ROOM:
We stayed in A block. If you want to avoid the stairs as much as possible, stay in either A or B block. We stayed in one of the older rooms, but had no complaints. It did not have a tropical feel, but was very comfortable. The bathroom was great. Bed was firm but we slept like babies everynight.

FOOD:
Not amazing but we definately did not starve. Room service has a decent selection but only got our orders right about half the time. If you order dinner, make sure you order 2 meals because they are good but small. My husband are eaters so in late afternoon we ordered a snack consisting of the island burger and jerk chicken ceaser salad. Very good!
We went to the buffet for breakfast everyday. It's ok. The make made to order omlettes which i what I ate everyday. It's a mix of American breakfast food and Caribbean. The lunch buffet however was not as good. We went once and were done with that. The beach grill does not have a large selection but what they do offer is great.
Casanova was AMAZING! We went there our first night and made reservations for 3 more nights. This is a must! Most nights we were able to get in at whatever time we wanted but one night they were booked until 9pm.
The beach party on Tuesday night was horrible. Everything was spicy with no options. It was poorly organized. We went down, walked through the buffet then left and ordered room service.
The Gala however was great. Much better selection and great entertainment.

The grounds of the resort are breathtaking. Make sure you walk around and discover. There were so many little secret hide-aways. We spend hours discovering everything. It is a small resort and you never feel like it's crowded. We would sit in a hammock for an hour and nobody would walk by. It was great. There is a little hot tub hidden by the mineral grotto. We went there a lot and never saw another guest.
One thing that suprised us was that the main pool was always more crowded than the beach. Maybe it was because of the swim up bar, but I don't know. Most days we would be the only people out in the water. The mats to float on are great. And there are always plenty. We never had any problems finding a shady spot on the beach. In the afternoon a guy walks around and gets drink orders, but if you can't find him the bar is right on the beach.
The beach is small, but that's what we loved about it. Not white sand, but clean and beautiful.

We chose Sans Souci for the laid back style it had. We are not partiers and wanted a relaxing atmosphere. We got it. There were a lot more younger couples than we were expecting after reading some of the other reviews. I would say the majority of couples were mid 20's-mid 30's. But there was a fair share of every age group. While I don't know if we will go back (I hate going to the same place twice) it was an amazing vacation. I wish Couples would put resorts all over the caribbean becasue their level of service is outstanding!

• Liked — Privacy and service
  • Disliked — Food selection
6 Thank AlwaysReadyT0G0
Panama City Beach, Florida
Reviewed October 25, 2008

My husband and I stayed here last April, and spent a week doing absolutely nothing other than relaxing and decompressing. The a la carte restaurants are definitely a cut above most all-inclusive resorts, but you do need to reserve in advance to guarantee seating. Our dinner favorites were Palazzina and Casanova, both requiring reservations and dressier attire, but you can also go to the buffet or the beach grill with no reservations, and casually dressed. We usually opted for room service breakfast, which you can choose and order the night before by leaving a card on your door. The balconies are quite large and wonderful for relaxing and having your coffee in the AM or a cocktail at sunset.

The liquors are "call" brands so no worries about having to drink the cheap stuff. They also have full-size bottles in your room bar, but the better brands are at the Beach Bar and in the restaurants. The bartenders at the Beach Bar are extremely friendly and entertaining, by the way, as are all staff members we encountered.

This is a fairly small resort, and it's nice not to have to wear the wristbands that most AI's require. The grounds are beautiful with much flora and fauna, but there are LOTS of stairs, so you will definitely get a work out walking throughout the resort. Be advised it is not chair-friendly or for folks with limited mobility. The massages here are great and they are done in private huts on a cliff overlooking the Sea--very tranquil. They also have full spa services as well. From what I saw, this is definately one of the nicest resorts in Jamaica. Of course you have to fly into Montego Bay and take a 2+ hour bus trip to Ocho Rios, but they have improved the roads in the past year.

Last but not least, the beach is rather small, but it was never overcrowded while we were there. They also have an au natural (mandatory, not clothing optional) beach which is actually larger and nicer, if you are so inclined.

• Liked — food, service & amenities
  • Disliked — too many stairs (but understandable for the location)
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hammonk
Texas
Reviewed October 23, 2008

I read every review on the resorts in Jamaica, so I feel I should contribute.

My wife and I were at CSS from Oct 4-10 for our anniversary. We were on the younger side of the crowd but the minimum age is 21, I think, so it was expected. There were plenty of honeymoon couples, though and we never felt out of place. We didn't have any trouble getting onto the island or through customs. It took a little while because we landed at the same time as a 747 from Europe. No big deal, though. The Couples lounge was a nice place to chill out and drink a Red Stripe after flying all day. There were 4 people in our van to the resort and it only took about 1.5 hours. We agreed that stopping wasn't necessary so that saved time. It wasn't nearly as bad as the reviews make it sound and I enjoyed seeing the culture. I've never driven on 'the wrong side of the road' before so that was new. They're all crazy drivers so be ready for that. I'll rate each group 1 through 5 with 5 being the highest.

THE RESORT - 4
Don't be disappointed when you arrive! Check in was fine, but it's not a grand entrance when you pull up in the van. We were starving so they sent us down to the beach bar and grill. The place is huge and we got lost right away. The area we walked through looked old and almost run down. I could tell my wife was concerned and I felt the same way. We found the beach grill and ordered some food. It tasted old and was mediocre at best. By this point we were both wondering if this was the right decision. Our honeymoon hotel was lavish and new; very different from our first impression here. Do Not Let This Get You Down. After settling in and getting a good night's sleep, we really got a new perspective. The resort has its own relaxed feel that is very Jamaican. The grounds are beautiful and it's a good time just walking around exploring. There are a lot of steps but we enjoyed that too. It creates a lot of hiding spots and places to discover. We had a chance to walk around Sandals Dunns River and were very thankful of our cozy resort. It's not a giant tile and concrete monstrosity. It's just different... It's the perfect Jamaican attitude. It just takes a minute to get used to so keep in mind, No Problem Mon!

THE ROOM - 4
We loved the room. I was very concerned about the quality after reading some posts on here. It had a very welcoming atmosphere. The king size bed was comfortable and the flat panel TV was nice. I didn't turn it on until the 4th day and the first thing I heard was how the stock market dumped another 500 points. I turned it right back off and went back to my rum. We were in D block overlooking the main beach and ocean. The mini bar was outside which I found weird but whatever. It was always stocked. The bathroom was really cool, I thought. The shower runs the full length of the room and there's no tub or shower curtain. You just walk to the back of the bathroom and turn the shower on. We laid a towel down and pointed the shower head towards the bench against the wall. We never had a problem with the room getting wet. I'm pretty sure nobody could see in because of the angle, so we left the windows open and it was like a giant outdoor shower. We also never heard any construction or loud guests. No complaints about the room at all.

THE ACTIVITIES - 5
The water sports were the best part. My wife and I love sailing and the Hobie Waves were pretty nice. They won't win any races, but are much nicer than typical resort sail boats. The Dunns River tour was great. We went on a day that was pretty empty. Just luck of the draw, I guess. Try to get in the front of the group so you're not behind some slow person that you have to help the whole time. The end is a tourist trap so just tell them you don’t have money and keep walking. A trip to Margaritaville was also included and that was awesome. The drinks were expensive but we had several at the resort so we only had to buy one at the bar. We also met two other couples our age on this trip so that was nice. This trip is only offered on Monday night so don't miss out. The canopy zip lining tour costs extra, but it was pretty cool and I'm glad we went. I won't do it again since I thought it was a little boring, but I'm glad we went. Our favorite activity by far was the scuba diving. The introductory class and one shallow dive are included with your stay. We spent about 2 hours learning about the equipment and practicing in the pool. Then we went out to a reef and did a 40 minute shallow dive to about 30ft. Surprisingly, the reef was alive which is rare for a tourist dive spot. We saw lots of fish, an eel, a white snake, and several other really cool things. It was my wife's first time and she loved it. Definitely sign up for scuba!

STAFF - 5
We never had a single issue with the staff. They are all very cool and super chill. They had soccer games most afternoons where the cooks would play the house keeping crew or the bartenders would play the grounds keepers. It's an awesome atmosphere and really helps to keep the guests relaxed. The safe in the room fit all of our stuff and there was never a problem of theft for anyone we talked to. The entertainment staff did their best, but it wasn't overwhelming. It wasn't a loud or obnoxious scene like some of the big resorts. One thing that struck me was how nobody expected a tip. I've been to Mexico many times and they always stand around with their hand out waiting for money. At CSS, I would have to chase them down and put the money in their hand. Very very different than Mexico and goes right along with the Jamaican way. All Tings Irie.

FOOD AND DRINK - 3
I liked the food a lot more than my wife did, but I'll pretty much eat anything. The buffet is sufficient but not great. The omelet station saves breakfast. I enjoyed trying the local dishes like curried goat, ox tail, and salt fish. The French restaurant was our favorite and had a very upscale menu. Room service is again sufficient but nothing to write home about. The Tuesday night beach party was fun and the buffet was pretty good. Wednesday night every restaurant serves a lobster dish which I enjoyed. Expanding the buffet would do wonders for the food overall. I didn't have a problem with the drinks because I had rum and Red Strip the whole time, sometimes in the same glass but that's a different story. The fru-fru drinks for the girls were not impressive. Every now and then someone would make a good pina colada. Top shelf liquor seemed to disappear very quickly which was frustrating for several people we talked to. Again, that would be an easy fix for the resort.

THE BEACH - 5
Everything on here was pretty accurate. It's a small beach and the sand isn't that great. The swimming area on the main beach is restricted so the glass bottom boat and scuba boat aren’t a threat. This kinda goes along with the rest of the resort... it's just different. I really liked the privacy and the secluded feel. There weren't vendors walking the beach, jet skis screaming around, parasailing boats... it was just our own little cove. Very nice. The Au Naturel beach was one of our favorite parts of the trip and the main reason for giving this section a 5. Neither of us had ever done anything like that, my wife especially. We had a few rum punches and headed over there. Contrary to some reviews, that beach is not clothing optional. It is nude only. I thought that would be a problem but it's actually a good thing. It makes everyone comfortable rather than having some curious people walking around in clothes. Everyone is nude and it’s not awkward at all. The pool is small but very nice. It has a waterfall in the middle that creates a grotto. There's a swim up bar, a hot tub, and a small grill that has food pretty much all day. It's like a mini resort. The people over there seemed a lot friendlier, too. Maybe it's because nobody has anything to hide. There were plenty of couples our age, so that was no big deal. It seemed like people would hang out on the main beach for a few days and then try the AN side. After that, they wouldn't go back to the main beach. I would really suggest trying it at least once.

OVERALL - 4
Like I've said several times, this is just a different kind of resort. It has a very comfortable, intimate feel. If you're looking for a Mexican style lavish resort then this is not the place. The food is good but not outstanding. The booze are decent especially if you like rum and beer. The room, staff, and activities included were all awesome. The beach is secluded and quiet. The AN side was a really unique experience. I would definitely recommend this place to friends. We like to see new places so I doubt we'll go back, but I would if the opportunity arose. A group of couples would be fun for the second trip.

All Tings Irie, Mon!

• Liked — Very laid back. Not a huge tourist trap of a resort. Great people on staff.
  • Disliked — The food and alcohol would be very easy fixes to put the resort over the top.
6 Thank HogHunter
christiansburg
Reviewed October 15, 2008

My husband & I went on our first vacation, without our 3 children, for the first time since we were married 6 years ago!! I cannot put fully into words how absolutely wonderful our trip to Couples Sans Souci was!! It is one of the MOST beautiful places and the pictures do not do it justice!
The grounds are lush with amazing flowers and fruit trees and the sea is crystal clear! It was very tranquil and relaxing and the staff are lively and SO friendly!
The beach is in a cove so there was not any boat traffic~ you can pull a float into the water and just relax. There is a mineral stream the runs through the property and comes out in the ocean so you will get bursts of really cold water that is so refreshing. There is alot to explore on the property too!
We stayed in the C (Carnation) block and our room was adorable~ it had tile floors and a walk out sun room with an amazing view of the ocean! It was so clean and our housekeeper was wonderful! Every room on the resort has room service included. Although we did not take advantage of it. We wanted to be outside as much as possible :)
The food was outstanding and the Jamaican bar/grille (Bella Vista) was so authentic and beautiful. The Palazinni, which was a French Restaurant, had outdoor dining with a beautiful view of the beach. Keston and Machel are awesome and we can't wait to see them again. The food was phenomenal both in the morning for breakfast and in the evening!
We went sailing and snorkling~ Dennis at watersports is great!
We met some wonderful people, one couple was actually from our town~ such a small world!! The nightly entertainment was great as well!! There was a Gala the second night we were there on the lawn, with white tents, fabulous food and music. There was also some sort of musical entertainment every night~ the bartenders are great too! Dwayne and Leighton are awesome! The serivce was outstanding and we were ALWAYS greeted with a smile! I highly recommend everyone getting a Hummingbird and Dirty Banana at one of the bars! And if you are not a rum drinker, the Red Stripe is always good!!
I cannot see how anyone would have one complaint about this resort, it is breathtaking!! Great beach,service, food, drinks, people, rooms~ it is named Sans Souci, or"No Problem" for a reason!! ;)
I recommend this resort to everyone and I also recommend getting to know the staff~ the Jamaican people are some of the most wonderful, respectful and happy people we have ever met!Our 5 day trip was not long enough, and we cannot wait to go back!! IRIE!!! :)

• Liked — The beach, food, staff, drinks, room
  • Disliked — I have no complaints
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!