“You Could Probably Do Better”
Review of Couples Sans Souci

Couples Sans Souci
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed October 14, 2008

We stayed at CSS from 10/3 – 10/8. First before I give a review of the hotel, for anyone flying on Air Jamaica be prepared for very long delays and outright cancellations. We left out on Friday 10/3 and our flight was delayed several hours due to mechanical problems and flight crew delays. Once we finally arrived in MBJ several hours later, it was raining so hard we had to wait an additional two hours for our luggage to be unloaded.

The trip to CSS took well over three hours because of the rain, also people were drinking so much we had to make extra stops so they could have a smoke break and use the rest room. Once we arrived at CSS I told the receptionist we requested a room in the hill, private, top floor. We were given room D11. D11 is small, the balcony sits right on the path to the lobby and has a view of a tree. I called down to request another room and they agreed to change our room the next day. One more thing about D11, the shower sits right next to the toilet with no curtain, so no matter how hard you try, once you shower, half of the bathroom will get wet.

After all of that we decided to get room service. It came within the hour but everything was ice cold. The next day things started to look up. The weather was perfect, the breakfast buffet was wonderful and, although we had to wait the entire day to change rooms, once we did, it was worth it. We were moved to room G8 and it was lovely.

We had diner at Pallazina and Casanova, both were great.

The beach is small and rocky, but for the most part quiet.

All in all I don’t think we will be returning to CSS. The refurbishing really just amounts to a coat of paint and a couple of newer TV’s. They took no real effort to really make the rooms/bathrooms nice.

But, the stay was not bad. So if you have already booked, no need to panic, you will have a great time. The grounds are beautiful, the food/drinks are good and the staff is great. I just think they took the cheep way out instead of really investing in the place.

Coming home, Air Jamaica cancelled our direct flight from MBJ back to Chicago, we had to Fly from MBJ, to Kingston, then back to Chicago, a process that resulted in a several hour delay. Never again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank WindyCityChicago
There are newer reviews for Couples Sans Souci

Reviewed October 5, 2008

This is going to be very long, because I want to be as detailed as possible. It was the very detailed reviews that helped us make our final decision to stay at Couples Sans Souci. So here goes!

I was uncertain about CSS because of some of the bad reviews I had read. Neither my husband or I have ever vacationed before, and didn't know where to go or what to expect. I wanted our honeymoon to be perfect, and had a lot riding on our vacation.

I will start off by saying the one and a half hour shuttle ride from the airport to CSS is not near as bad as people make it out to be. I had this idea that we'd be traveling in some old beat up bus down a one lane dirt road. That wasn't it at all. The shuttle was decent, and air conditioned. Yes, they drive fast and they do drive more aggressively than I was used to. However, you have to realize that they drive like this every day, and are experienced in doing so. We arrived just fine at the resort, and I even managed to get in a little nap.

Our first impression of the resort was great. The grounds are very lush, and they keep the resort very clean and up to date. The lobby was very pretty. The check in process was very quick and we were given a cold rag (although neither one of us really knew what to do with it -- lol) and a glass of champagne upon arrival. The front desk receptionists were not as friendly as I had expected after reading reviews, but they were not unfriendly either.

The Room:
We arrived on Sunday, September 21st and our room was in the Azalia ("A") block on the first floor. We were in room A9, specifically. The room may be dated by other peoples' standards, but to us it was cozy. The only problem is that there wasn't much of a view being on the first floor. I was sick the first two days of our trip, so my husband and I spent a lot of time just in our room, and had no complaints. It was clean, the bed was big and comfortable, and the mini bar was decently stocked. It had rums and vodka, and the fridge was filled with water, juice, pop, and Red Strip beer. We were brought a plate of cheese and crackers, along with a bottle of champagne our first night.

On Monday, I asked to be moved to the 2nd or 3rd floor so that we could have a better view. The room was identical (one bedroom jacuzzi suite), but the couch and chair had been reupholstered (sp?) with the new blue upholstery and looked a little fresher. The air conditioners worked perfectly (maybe even too good!) in both rooms, and I was cold much of the time...thanks to the hubby who likes to freeze. One thing about the mini bar is that you get two of each beverage that they provide. We had Coke in our first room, but in the second room (A24), we had Sprite everyday. Sprite is my favorite, but I'm sure you could ask for something else. It was restocked daily, as promised. The water pressure in the jacuzzi is not very strong, and it did take a long time to fill as it is a very large tub. This was fine with us as we only used it twice during our stay. Both times we would turn it on, order and eat in our room, and then hop in. The showers in both rooms had good water pressure.

The Food:
We ate the first day at the Beach Grill. We both had a Sans Souci Burger, and they were really good. We had room service three nights, and can't complain. The only thing I ate the entire stay that I didn't like (and would not recommend at all) was the filet mignon (in-room dining). It was very tough and I wasn't given a steak knife. We had breakfast every morning at the Pallazina, and I loved it. The scrambled eggs were wetter than we were used to, so we stuck to the omlet and belgian waffle bar. They always had bacon and sausage, some type of potato (roasted, fried, hashbrowns, etc.). We had fresh fruit, pastries, and cheese every morning. I also had a smoothy almost every morning, and each was delicious. The banana was the best.

We had lunch at the Beach Grill twice, but usually stuck to the Pallazina as we liked the buffet. Shorts and a tee shirt are acceptable. It says no tanks/swimwear, but I saw plenty of people who didn't follow that and nobody seemed to mind. Lunch was great. The peppered steak they had one day was really good. The deserts were really good, and I usually tried a little of everything (which reminds me, they put a scale in the suites...that's just depressing).

We ate dinner in our room three times as I mentioned before (we just wanted to relax) and it was usually pretty good. We had dinner one night at the Bella Vista (Beach Grill by day) on the beach. I tried the shrimp and veggie egg roll and it was HOT! I was patting my lips with bread trying to soak up some of the hot. Didn't work. It was very good though!

We only ate the Casanova once (have to make reservations), but was very impressed. I don't remember what it was called, but we both had the chicken stuffed with italian sausage and it was delicious. Everything was so full of flavor. The chocolate mousse was to die for. They also had a lovely pianist who played beautifully.

We slept through the Tuesday night Beach Party, but we did make it to the Starlight Gala on Friday night. It's a nice chance to visit with some of the great people you've met during your stay. It is set up very nicely, and the food was good. The desert table was a bit overwhelming, but had some of the best deserts I've ever tried.

The Bars:
My husband and I are not huge drinkers, so we didn't drink much. We did have a few though. The bar staff is very friendly, and most of the drinks were good. They were the best at the Pallazina and the beach bar. The drinks at the pool bar (or at least the ones we had) weren't great -- the ones we had were made with that premade fuity ice (or whatever it is) and were a little too sweet.

Watersports:
Take advantage of as much as you can. We went snorkeling, but unfortunately our trip had to be cut short because I was stung by a small jellyfish and everybody had to get out of the water. This isn't a huge problem, but make sure you go on a very clear, sunny day. We went SCUBA diving one day, and it was a great experience. The reefs are not all that great, but it was still fun as we were first time divers. The glass bottom boat tour is kind of fun, too.

Dunn's River Falls:
Definitely go! But do not be fooled into thinking you need to rent the $5 water socks. Me and my husband just wore tennis shoes, and they were just fine. Didn't slip at all. It was a really fun time. There is a videographer who videos the entire climb, but then wants $40 for the DVD. He brings it to the resort later in the day. I wanted the DVD but wasn't going to pay that much. I ended up finding another couple who we went with that had bought the DVD. I gave them $20, and they are going to burn it and send it to us. I'd either go that route, or when the guy comes to the resort, tell him you changed your mind and don't want to pay that much. Another couple did this and got the DVD for $20.

Golf:
Not worth it unless you bring your own balls and clubs. My husband likes to golf, and thought it'd be great to golf in Jamaica. The course was not impressive at all. 3 balls were $15, and the clubs were $20 and weren't even a matching set. With the mandatory caddy, he paid $50 for 9 holes.

Shopping:
It wasn't what I expected. We were brought to a mall with little gift shops, not to the markets. There are positives and negatives to this. The plus side is that it is not at all high pressure (althought they do tell you they'll give you a good deal). The bad side is that it wasn't the real 'experience' of Jamaican shopping and bartering. Also, you saw the exact same things in every one of the stores. It was just a matter of finding the best deal. The gift shop at CSS has a lot of the same things they have at the shopping center, but they are way overpriced. We did bring home some great souvenirs, though.

The Beach:
As mentioned, the beach is not very large. If you want to take a long, romantic stroll on the beach at sunset, then unfortunately this is not the place. But the sand was nice and there were plenty of chairs and floaties. We spent a nice amount of time just floating in the ocean. The water was so warm, and so clear.

The Spa:
We had a half hour couple's massage, and I highly recommend upgrading this. I wanted to, but my husband wasn't sure. Half an hour is not enough time. It was very relaxing.

The Grounds:
There are a lot of stairs, but I found it to be a good thing. We did nothing but relax and eat, so the stairs were a good little exercise. I highly recommend spending some time just wandering the resort. It is breathtaking. The maintainence dept. takes good care of the grounds, and they were very clean. Be careful if it rains, though. It rained one day while we were there, and the tiles up by the mineral pool/Charlie's spa are VERY slippery, and even with tennis shoes, I almost slipped several times.

Overall:
We had an amazing time at Couples Sans Souci. We were not at all disappointed, and someday hope to go back. This is a very quiet, relaxing resort. That is exactly what we wanted, so it was great for us. If you are looking for somewhere to party, I suggest going else where. We were up in our room every night after dinner, and usually just fell asleep watching TV. The only real downside is that they were renovating the B block during our stay and we could hear saws or sanders most of the day. It was a little irritating when you were trying to relax in the pool, but not enough to affect our stay.

If you go with an open mind, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
10  Thank vacation_bug_bit_me
Reviewed October 1, 2008

we had originally booked to go to couples ocho rios but were moved to san souci instead.

the downsides....too many steps, not for anyone whos not steady on their feet.

lying on the beach there were renovations going on simultaneously in d block and b block. unfortunately there were kangos, drilling, hammering and planing machines going all day long...even up until 9.45 one evening. we reported this to guest services and was told it would be addressed. it did stop in the evening....when the managers cocktail party was on or the gala night!!

rooms were ok, a bit tatty round the edges but clean enough to sleep there.

we were expecting the all inclusive trips to be the same as the ones we originally had at ocho rios. but, we were told the catamaran cruise couldnt be done as it couldnt get in to the shore. after much wrangling and getting the virgin rep involved the hotel agreed to let us have the martha brae rafting trip and the hotel paid for that.

casanova restaurant we tried once and hubby...who has guts of steel...was violently ill..we didnt go back there.

we repeatedly tried to book water-skiing lesson, only to be told that the boat was out of action. but, if we wanted to pay $70 for a champagne cruise..it was suddenly seaworthy again.

the good points...

palazzina restaurant...lovely food every time we ate there.

bella vista...great food

the staff are lovely...especially machel, trainee at the palazzina, and nadia, also at the pallazzina.

all in all we found the place boring. the evening entertainment was quite good but the balloon bar ambience was ruined every night with drunks screeching at the top of their lungs at what was meant to be a sing-a-long...i expect loutish behaviour at a cheap resort in spain not at couples.

i would rate this a 3-4 star-purely for the food and the wonderful landscaping.

would i go back? never!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank car01e
Reviewed September 23, 2008

The staff is really what seperates this one from all the rest. They go out of their way on every front to make your stay is perfect. Best yet, they're personable...quite easy to get to know a few of them if you stay here for any meaningful amount of time. If she's still there, Sasha (the program director), is truly a great girl to get to know. Ask for dancing lessons!

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank dwl_17
Reviewed September 15, 2008

My husband and I stayed at San Souci for 2 weeks 31/08 - 14/09

I kept check ing the reviews before we went on our trip and was starting to worry about some of the really bad reviews.

We were married in March and had a disaster honeymoon so we decided to take a luxury trip to Jamaica. We are both 25 and just wanted a relaxing holiday with plenty of Sun/Cocktails!!!
The Jamican people are so chilled out, we immidiatley got into the Holiday mode!

After a long 9 hour flight we arrived at Montego Bay airport, getting through customs was unexpectidley easy! It took around 20 minutes and our bags were waiting for us on the other side.
We were then greeted at the Couples lounge with a much appreciated cold beer! This was such a nice start, we just couldn't wait to get to the resort!
The journey is around 2 hours from the airport to the resort and we stopped on the way for a toilet break and a beer. Our driver was really informative and gave us info about Jamaican culture which made the journey go really fast!

On arrival at CSS we were greeted with a cold glass of champagne and cold towels. The check in staff were friendly and gave us all the resort info.
The porters took our bags to our room, we had E5. On first impression, the rooms was amazing, with a fantastic view of the ocean. The room was a bit dated but we didn't intend staying in there too much anyway.

We were not offered the tour at reception but we were quite happy to explore the resort on our own. The resort is quite big and there is plenty to do! There are a LOT of steps, and they seem never ending after a few too many beers! It's a good way to burn off all those extra cocktail calories though!

The beach is nice, quite small but there were always plenty of chairs. We took a walk round the nudist beach before anyone was on there and it looks really nice. It's a shame it's nudist only! Definatley not our scene!

We found all the staff very helpful and organised, The food was good. We mainly ate at the beach bar and room service. We tried the restaurants once, they were good but not really to our standard of eating out. I guess it depends on what you are used to. I preffered the room service and the Jerk chicken Cesar salad was fantastic!
The entertainment team were really good and the shows were different every night.

We only did the Bob Marley tour which is extra, we went in the jeep. The journey is about 1 1/2 The Bob Marley tour was quite short for the money and we were hassled to buy Marajuana. I didn't feel very safe. Apparently it is legal to smoke only in the Bob Marley place. But it didn't appeal to us so we didn't bother.

We were offered Drugs a few times. And a few people we met bought Majuana for their personal use in their room. Marajuana is illigal in Jmaiaca but seems to be reaily availabel and everyone seems to smoke it. Just a polite No thanks you and they don't bother you again.

After a few days in our room, we really started to notice how dated it was, we had some ants in our bathroom, but we sprayed mosquito spray aroud the edges and they did not return.

There is no tipping at this resort, we did tip quite a lot, i think some staff expected it and some were really happy to help you either way! Which was nice.

I burnt my face really bad and got a throat infection so i had to see the doctor for anti biotics. I was expecting this to be a real nightmare but although it was quite costly, $220 the doctor was really fast and brought my medication with him. I was really impressed with the standard of care, they even called me a few days later to see how i was feeling.

We had the couples massage which was excellant! You can also get some really nice photo's round the Spa area.

A big dissapointment was our return journey, our drive was quite erratic and i did not feel very safe. We also had to ask him to turn the music down as i could not hear myself think! We asked not to stop for refreshments and go straight tot he airport, he didn't seem very happy about this, maybe they get some sort of commission. He then asked us for a tip for getting us there safely?!

All in all this is a nice resort, with plenty of activities. The things that let it down for me are the lack of attention to detail. Sometimes it's just the little things that make you feel more comfortable that count. This resort is in desparate need of modernisation.
We had a great holiday and we met some really nice people. But i think we will be looking for pure luxury on our next holiday. I would rate this hotel a 4 star and i think we paid a bit over the odds for our stay, so it's worth shopping for a bargain! From the UK i think it is cheaper to book your flight and get a hotel deal separately. The have a UK Couples website. There is no holiday rep there anyway so it makes sense!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
8  Thank CCoates
Reviewed September 10, 2008

We stayed at Couples San Souci during the first week of April for our honeymoon. Initially we were booked at the Couples Ochos Rios but after receiving a phone call from our travel rep. had the choice to rebook at Couples San Souci or another resort. We were saddend a bit upon hearing the news but after reading up on San Souci decided to give the resort a try, and boy are we glad we did!

Arrival
From the minute our plane landed at the airport it was bliss. Couples has a wonderful "canteen" at the airport with ice cold beer and other refreshments as we awaited our van ride to the resort. The ride to the resort is about an hour and a half....a good time to soak in the views.

Checkin
Once we arrived we were "greeted" by sparkling wine, a refreshing wet towelette and pleasant staff. The checkin process was seamless.

Room
Next we were escorted to our room. At this point I cannot remember our exact room number but the view was very pleasant. The views vary depending on the floor and block you are assigned to. Our room definately had an ocean view but much of which was "obstructed" by the lush palm trees and plants right outside our balcony. This did not bother us one bit.
The room is comfortable (we have the balcony ocean view suite) nothing too fancy, but well maintained.

The Grounds
I strongly urge you to take the grounds tour to get familiar with the expansive resort. There are many stairs to climb and various paths to take. Even after almost a week at the resort we still found ourselves making wrong turns to get places!!
The scenery of the resort is simply breathtaking. Always new things to discover.

The Beach
Small but comfortable. Never felt crowded. Has a secluded island feel to it. Plenty of included water sports which we took full advantage of!
Nudist beach also belonging to San Souci a small walk away.....we did it as first timers and had a blast (pretty sunsets at the Nudist beach which becomes accessible to non nudists...check the time though).

Pools
Plenty of pools and places to lounge out.

The Food
Never a bad thing on the menu! Reservations are a must at both restaurants....plenty of food. Take advantage of room service on days you just want to sleep in!!

Drinks
Specialty drinks such as margharitas, daquiries etc. tended to have the same taste to them... a bit chalky from the power mix?....so stick to the basics such as Gin and tonic, vodka and orange, whiskey and coke, beer etc. You have to ask for top shelf in order to have it in your drink.

Staff
All friendly.

Spa
The couples massage is a must do!

Just like any hotel/ resort lock up valuables in the safe.

Will be back again!!! Do not hesitate to stay at this beautiful resort!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
7  Thank jbkrg
Reviewed September 8, 2008

Couples Sans Souci review

First let me start by saying this was the most wonderful trip of our lives.

This was our first trip out of the country and first time to fly so we really didn’t know what to expect. Our flight was only about 30 min. late so that was not bad at all and when we arrived at the airport and cleared customs we were sent to the couples lounge were they had red stripe waiting and also a driver, we did not even have time to set down. Our driver was great he pointed out some of the sites which I really loved.

We arrived at CSS and they had someone to take our bags before we even got out of the bus good. We went into the lobby and the desk was full so they took us over to the sitting area and gave us wet towels and champagne and check us in. Our room was ready so they took us straight to the room which I must say was great. We stayed in a beach front Jacuzzi on the 3rd floor and the view was out of this world. The room was really clean and nice. It was a little older but still in good shape. It had a fully stocked mini bar and a separate sitting area and the bath room was really big with double sinks.

The grounds were so beautiful really lush and tropical. Many people have stated problems with the stairs but, we really enjoyed walking around and finding all the hidden spots they have for couples also it really help to walk off some of the pounds that we put on from all the drinks and food that you could find everywhere.

The food was out of this world we did not have a bad meal the whole time we were there. I think my favorite place to eat was Ristorante Casanova, they had the best steak and lobster. It was our 25th wedding anniversary and after we had finished with our meal they brought out a cake that had Happy 25th anniversary written on it and we didn’t even ask for it. They really think of everything and make your day really special. Room service was also great, it was really nice to have a private meal and just enjoy each other.

The staff was more than what we expected they were always there to make sure that you didn’t need anything from the bartenders, cooks, waitress and waiters to the entertainment staff they were wonderful. I need to call a few by name Jheanel and Barrington at sunset beach, Derven and Nolen and the rest of the entertainment staff these people really made the vacation. We were there during Gustov and they always had something for us to do if we wanted. They really do care about the people that visit and it really shows.

Thank you couples and your staff for making our vacation wonderful.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
#8 of 80 in Negril
Couples Swept Away
Couples Swept Away
#13 of 80 in Negril

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!