“very disappointing”

Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
herts uk
“very disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2008

we had originally booked to go to couples ocho rios but were moved to san souci instead.

the downsides....too many steps, not for anyone whos not steady on their feet.

lying on the beach there were renovations going on simultaneously in d block and b block. unfortunately there were kangos, drilling, hammering and planing machines going all day long...even up until 9.45 one evening. we reported this to guest services and was told it would be addressed. it did stop in the evening....when the managers cocktail party was on or the gala night!!

rooms were ok, a bit tatty round the edges but clean enough to sleep there.

we were expecting the all inclusive trips to be the same as the ones we originally had at ocho rios. but, we were told the catamaran cruise couldnt be done as it couldnt get in to the shore. after much wrangling and getting the virgin rep involved the hotel agreed to let us have the martha brae rafting trip and the hotel paid for that.

casanova restaurant we tried once and hubby...who has guts of steel...was violently ill..we didnt go back there.

we repeatedly tried to book water-skiing lesson, only to be told that the boat was out of action. but, if we wanted to pay $70 for a champagne cruise..it was suddenly seaworthy again.

the good points...

palazzina restaurant...lovely food every time we ate there.

bella vista...great food

the staff are lovely...especially machel, trainee at the palazzina, and nadia, also at the pallazzina.

all in all we found the place boring. the evening entertainment was quite good but the balloon bar ambience was ruined every night with drunks screeching at the top of their lungs at what was meant to be a sing-a-long...i expect loutish behaviour at a cheap resort in spain not at couples.

i would rate this a 3-4 star-purely for the food and the wonderful landscaping.

would i go back? never!

• Liked — the staff, the food and the landscaping
  • Disliked — everything else!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank car01e

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,263)
Assiniboia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2008

The staff is really what seperates this one from all the rest. They go out of their way on every front to make your stay is perfect. Best yet, they're personable...quite easy to get to know a few of them if you stay here for any meaningful amount of time. If she's still there, Sasha (the program director), is truly a great girl to get to know. Ask for dancing lessons!

Stayed May 2007
1 Thank dwl_17
Lymm, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2008

My husband and I stayed at San Souci for 2 weeks 31/08 - 14/09

I kept check ing the reviews before we went on our trip and was starting to worry about some of the really bad reviews.

We were married in March and had a disaster honeymoon so we decided to take a luxury trip to Jamaica. We are both 25 and just wanted a relaxing holiday with plenty of Sun/Cocktails!!!
The Jamican people are so chilled out, we immidiatley got into the Holiday mode!

After a long 9 hour flight we arrived at Montego Bay airport, getting through customs was unexpectidley easy! It took around 20 minutes and our bags were waiting for us on the other side.
We were then greeted at the Couples lounge with a much appreciated cold beer! This was such a nice start, we just couldn't wait to get to the resort!
The journey is around 2 hours from the airport to the resort and we stopped on the way for a toilet break and a beer. Our driver was really informative and gave us info about Jamaican culture which made the journey go really fast!

On arrival at CSS we were greeted with a cold glass of champagne and cold towels. The check in staff were friendly and gave us all the resort info.
The porters took our bags to our room, we had E5. On first impression, the rooms was amazing, with a fantastic view of the ocean. The room was a bit dated but we didn't intend staying in there too much anyway.

We were not offered the tour at reception but we were quite happy to explore the resort on our own. The resort is quite big and there is plenty to do! There are a LOT of steps, and they seem never ending after a few too many beers! It's a good way to burn off all those extra cocktail calories though!

The beach is nice, quite small but there were always plenty of chairs. We took a walk round the nudist beach before anyone was on there and it looks really nice. It's a shame it's nudist only! Definatley not our scene!

We found all the staff very helpful and organised, The food was good. We mainly ate at the beach bar and room service. We tried the restaurants once, they were good but not really to our standard of eating out. I guess it depends on what you are used to. I preffered the room service and the Jerk chicken Cesar salad was fantastic!
The entertainment team were really good and the shows were different every night.

We only did the Bob Marley tour which is extra, we went in the jeep. The journey is about 1 1/2 The Bob Marley tour was quite short for the money and we were hassled to buy Marajuana. I didn't feel very safe. Apparently it is legal to smoke only in the Bob Marley place. But it didn't appeal to us so we didn't bother.

We were offered Drugs a few times. And a few people we met bought Majuana for their personal use in their room. Marajuana is illigal in Jmaiaca but seems to be reaily availabel and everyone seems to smoke it. Just a polite No thanks you and they don't bother you again.

After a few days in our room, we really started to notice how dated it was, we had some ants in our bathroom, but we sprayed mosquito spray aroud the edges and they did not return.

There is no tipping at this resort, we did tip quite a lot, i think some staff expected it and some were really happy to help you either way! Which was nice.

I burnt my face really bad and got a throat infection so i had to see the doctor for anti biotics. I was expecting this to be a real nightmare but although it was quite costly, $220 the doctor was really fast and brought my medication with him. I was really impressed with the standard of care, they even called me a few days later to see how i was feeling.

We had the couples massage which was excellant! You can also get some really nice photo's round the Spa area.

A big dissapointment was our return journey, our drive was quite erratic and i did not feel very safe. We also had to ask him to turn the music down as i could not hear myself think! We asked not to stop for refreshments and go straight tot he airport, he didn't seem very happy about this, maybe they get some sort of commission. He then asked us for a tip for getting us there safely?!

All in all this is a nice resort, with plenty of activities. The things that let it down for me are the lack of attention to detail. Sometimes it's just the little things that make you feel more comfortable that count. This resort is in desparate need of modernisation.
We had a great holiday and we met some really nice people. But i think we will be looking for pure luxury on our next holiday. I would rate this hotel a 4 star and i think we paid a bit over the odds for our stay, so it's worth shopping for a bargain! From the UK i think it is cheaper to book your flight and get a hotel deal separately. The have a UK Couples website. There is no holiday rep there anyway so it makes sense!

• Liked — Big resort
  • Disliked — Very Dated!
8 Thank CCoates
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2008

We stayed at Couples San Souci during the first week of April for our honeymoon. Initially we were booked at the Couples Ochos Rios but after receiving a phone call from our travel rep. had the choice to rebook at Couples San Souci or another resort. We were saddend a bit upon hearing the news but after reading up on San Souci decided to give the resort a try, and boy are we glad we did!

Arrival
From the minute our plane landed at the airport it was bliss. Couples has a wonderful "canteen" at the airport with ice cold beer and other refreshments as we awaited our van ride to the resort. The ride to the resort is about an hour and a half....a good time to soak in the views.

Checkin
Once we arrived we were "greeted" by sparkling wine, a refreshing wet towelette and pleasant staff. The checkin process was seamless.

Room
Next we were escorted to our room. At this point I cannot remember our exact room number but the view was very pleasant. The views vary depending on the floor and block you are assigned to. Our room definately had an ocean view but much of which was "obstructed" by the lush palm trees and plants right outside our balcony. This did not bother us one bit.
The room is comfortable (we have the balcony ocean view suite) nothing too fancy, but well maintained.

The Grounds
I strongly urge you to take the grounds tour to get familiar with the expansive resort. There are many stairs to climb and various paths to take. Even after almost a week at the resort we still found ourselves making wrong turns to get places!!
The scenery of the resort is simply breathtaking. Always new things to discover.

The Beach
Small but comfortable. Never felt crowded. Has a secluded island feel to it. Plenty of included water sports which we took full advantage of!
Nudist beach also belonging to San Souci a small walk away.....we did it as first timers and had a blast (pretty sunsets at the Nudist beach which becomes accessible to non nudists...check the time though).

Pools
Plenty of pools and places to lounge out.

The Food
Never a bad thing on the menu! Reservations are a must at both restaurants....plenty of food. Take advantage of room service on days you just want to sleep in!!

Drinks
Specialty drinks such as margharitas, daquiries etc. tended to have the same taste to them... a bit chalky from the power mix?....so stick to the basics such as Gin and tonic, vodka and orange, whiskey and coke, beer etc. You have to ask for top shelf in order to have it in your drink.

Staff
All friendly.

Spa
The couples massage is a must do!

Just like any hotel/ resort lock up valuables in the safe.

Will be back again!!! Do not hesitate to stay at this beautiful resort!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
7 Thank jbkrg
Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2008

Couples Sans Souci review

First let me start by saying this was the most wonderful trip of our lives.

This was our first trip out of the country and first time to fly so we really didn’t know what to expect. Our flight was only about 30 min. late so that was not bad at all and when we arrived at the airport and cleared customs we were sent to the couples lounge were they had red stripe waiting and also a driver, we did not even have time to set down. Our driver was great he pointed out some of the sites which I really loved.

We arrived at CSS and they had someone to take our bags before we even got out of the bus good. We went into the lobby and the desk was full so they took us over to the sitting area and gave us wet towels and champagne and check us in. Our room was ready so they took us straight to the room which I must say was great. We stayed in a beach front Jacuzzi on the 3rd floor and the view was out of this world. The room was really clean and nice. It was a little older but still in good shape. It had a fully stocked mini bar and a separate sitting area and the bath room was really big with double sinks.

The grounds were so beautiful really lush and tropical. Many people have stated problems with the stairs but, we really enjoyed walking around and finding all the hidden spots they have for couples also it really help to walk off some of the pounds that we put on from all the drinks and food that you could find everywhere.

The food was out of this world we did not have a bad meal the whole time we were there. I think my favorite place to eat was Ristorante Casanova, they had the best steak and lobster. It was our 25th wedding anniversary and after we had finished with our meal they brought out a cake that had Happy 25th anniversary written on it and we didn’t even ask for it. They really think of everything and make your day really special. Room service was also great, it was really nice to have a private meal and just enjoy each other.

The staff was more than what we expected they were always there to make sure that you didn’t need anything from the bartenders, cooks, waitress and waiters to the entertainment staff they were wonderful. I need to call a few by name Jheanel and Barrington at sunset beach, Derven and Nolen and the rest of the entertainment staff these people really made the vacation. We were there during Gustov and they always had something for us to do if we wanted. They really do care about the people that visit and it really shows.

Thank you couples and your staff for making our vacation wonderful.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
7 Thank pamela0215
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2008

We have just returned from the most relaxing vacation we have ever had. My husband and I chose to celebrate our 22nd wedding anniversary at Couples Sans Souci and we definitely made the right choice! Everything was so well done…I didn’t eat anything that wasn't outstanding... the service; impeccable... the staff; exceedingly attentive, kind and fun! This is an older, charming, and very romantic place. It is not a concrete monster of an Americanized luxury hotel... it is timeless, full of lush gardens, breathtaking views and gracious hospitality.
We stayed in E8 and the room was amazing! The views from the balcony literally took your breath away. Our room was a one bedroom ocean view with balcony. We had a huge living room that had been updated and had a flat screen TV and mini bar. Our bedroom was also gorgeous with a flat screen TV. We had two bathrooms. I will try to post some pictures. The staff cleaned our room twice a day and did a fantastic job. The room was everything I had hoped for.
There may be limited places to eat, but they were all superb…and I am a picky eater and a good cook! Honestly, everything we ate was fantastic. All of the staff were terrific and did such a good job with the service in the restaurants. We were blown away by their gracious hospitality.
We chose Sans Souci because of the gardens and the private beach. It was truly beautiful. The grounds were immaculate and the beach was great. It is not the pristine 9 mile beach… but it is truly beautiful and very private.
There was always plenty to do… even during Gustav… no one missed a beat!
The Spa was amazing. We had two couple’s massages in the hideaway spa hut on a cliff over the sea. The massage was as good as the view.
The staff surprised us with a chocolate cake with “Happy Anniversary” written on it along with a bottle of champagne. Everything was top notch and I have traveled all over the world. However, we had never had an all inclusive experience so we weren’t sure if the food would be all that great in an all inclusive package… it far exceeded our expectations.
Honestly, I can’t say enough about Couples Sans Souci. I am writing this because I had read some of the reviews prior to my departure and felt really concerned about what I was getting myself into. Let me assure you that I felt safe at all times, my valuables were in the safe and I had no problems with theft. In fact, I left a tip in my room and they didn’t even take that. My husband and I would reccomend this resort to anyone who is looking for a relaxing, romantic paradise.

• Liked — The view from the room and food.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
11 Thank btheresoon7
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2008

We have just returned from 14 days of what must surely rate as our best holiday to date. Let me say from the outset, that I am probably a guest-from-hell as I am very fussy. I really do want to 'get what I paid for'! Well, CSS did not disappoint:

Who we are:
Party of 4 from both South Africa and England. Age range between 39 and 52. All of us have travelled extensively, clocking up some 30 countries between us.

Arrival:
Pleased to say that Montego Bay Airport is a vast improvement on what it was 2 years ago. We were through immigration and baggage collection really quickly. A warm welcome from the Virgin reps, who then showed us to the Couples Lounge. Having stayed at Tower Isle (formerly Couples Ocho Rios), it was nice to see some of the old COR staff working the lounge. We were offered drinks and waited for the balance of the guests to arrive. One little pick here (and it's not against CSS) - the one and only cash machine at the airport did not recognise a South African Travel Card.

Transfer:
Efficient driver and smooth loading of bags (and golf clubs!). Bus was air conditioned and comfortable. Driver was entertaining and knowledgeable - another little pick - we were expecting to have a half-way stop, but instead drove for nearly 2 hours before we stopped at a grotty little place. We were only 15 minutes from CSS and everyone was keen just to get going again.

Check in:
Very smooth, as returning guests we were very pleased to see that our 'special' requests had been noted and the specific block we had asked for, we were given. We were all upgraded and were located next door to each other, which is exactly what we wanted. We had D5 and my sister had D4. The reception guy was a little 'odd', to be polite. He was efficient, but not particularly warm and none of us knew when he had actually finished the check in procedure.....he simply carried on with some paper work and we had to ask 'are you finished?'. He was a bit dismissive,but hey ho!

Suites:
As above, really lovely rooms. Clean, renovated, lovely views from balcony and in our opinion, right in the middle of the resort. This resort is on a cliff and you can get fantastic views from the higher blocks (F & G), but are a LOT of steps away from the beach and main pool. However, WHEREVER you are locatedat CSS, you will have some advantages over other areas. F & G blocks have the views and huge balconys, D & E are bang in the middle, A and B are the traditional suites (and where more than half of the resort falls into) and right on the beach,but I don't think you have the views you get from the other blocks. If you want to be the Nude Beach, choose A or B Block.

Pick: slightly worn shower head and bubbling (damp?) plasterwork in the bedroom. But not an issue.

The bed was very comfortable, the air conditioners were great (there were 2, 1 in the bedroom and 1 in the lounge). Balcony not huge, but more than adequate to have in-suite dining. View was picture perfect.

Entertainment:
Gala night and Beach party were entertaining enough, but repetitive. I suppose given that the majority of guests only stay for a week, this was to be expected. The Entertainment Team were really good and went out of their way to make things fun. Kimberley stands out as an exceptional Social Director - she, and her team, work really, really hard.

The barmen are great - Kimoni is lovely.

Watersports - Junior and his team are very knowlegeable and patient with beginners, such as when we took the hobycats out. We were totally useless and kept getting stranded due to lack of wind and our ineptitude in knowing how to move the sail about! The 'rescue' boat, called 'Soon Come', did indeed come..........again and again to tow us in!

We had a good time, and aside from the CSS staff, it may also have been down to the other guests around at that time (see the You Tube posts of Sans Souci Main Pool and you will know what we mean!).

Dining:

The restaurants were excellent and the standard of food and service was as good as any other 5-star establishment. People have moaned about having to book (both Ristorante Palazzina and Casanova require bookings). This was not a problem for us as we planned our bookings in advance. The Bella Vista takes 'walk-ups' - but don't attempt to arrive in a shirt (guys) with no sleeves - you will be politely (and firmly) told to change. This was slightly annoying, but I suppose they want to keep a certain standard.

We did not do much in-suite dining, but had 2 dinners and a breakfast - all good, one warning though - the burgers are VERY rare. I think this is just the way it is done (not) in Jamaica, as we saw a number of trays outside suites with hardly touched burgers. If you don't like to see pink meat, ask for well done! The menu was good and had a variety of choices to suite whatever level your appetite was at!

The mini-bar is well stocked and as we are non-drinkers, we had asked specifically for no alcohol to be in the fridge - this was no problem and it was only once (obviously on a shift changeover), that we found alcohol in the fridge at the end of the day. I left a little note asking for ginger-beer and from then on, we were constantly topped up with Jamaican ginger-beer!

Staff in general:
The staff really do try and go the extra mile. The only one we had an issue with was reception, which was a pity as this is the first and last person you see. Not sure what was biting his bum, but he needs to understand that he is supposed to be offering a service and perhaps he should look for another job where he would be happier not dealing with paying customers ........

Excursions:
Over different trips to Jamaica, we have managed to do all excursions possible!

Nine Mile is great, but we are big Bob Marley fans, so this would have to be a highlight for us.

Dunns - of course, however if the cruise ships are in, don't waste your time going up as it's busier than Oxford street just before Xmas!

Tree top canopy: good fun, no adrenaline rush though!

Kingston tour: Excellent excursion. Slightly pricey but well worth it as it is a full day excursion. You get to see a snapshot of true Jamaica all in about 12 hours.

Luminous Waters: Don't bother - boring, yea the sea lights up, but that is IT! Lots of mozzies, mixture of tourists, which mean lots of different languages being translated to explain the light. Waste of $100!

Quad Bikes: also great fun, would recommend this for a fun excursion

Plantation Ride: Really good - a free excursion with Couples. Well worth the heat and great fun. Sweet horses and in quite good condition given the heat, etc!

Golf: Supposedly 'free', but you pay for the caddy and the buggy. Breezes (Runaway Bay) is being used now. Not a great course - very fast and in quite bad condition in places. If you are keen to play, have a game and say you've played in Jamaica, but my dead keen husband only went once in the 2 weeks. The caddies are very knowledgeable I must say!

Charlies' Spa:
High standard and good massages - we had Sole Revival, Scalp Massage and 1-hour couples massage. Bit pricey (more than London prices!), but good therapists. The massage huts started out nice and romantic, until our neighbouring resorts' jet ski's started buzzing passed.......

In conclusion, highly recommended and if we return to Jamaica, will certainly go to CSS without a doubt. I have seen some reviews regarding miserable staff, poor food, theft from rooms, quality of rooms and bathrooms...........well these people MUST be more picky than me, and that's saying something !

In terms of comparing to other 5 star hotels, Sans Souci must surely be up there with them. Yes, there are areas that could be improved, but there are other areas that are so superior (gardens, service, food, ambience) that more than make up for a slightly wobbly shower head or a little crack in the floor tiles or damp on a wall). These 'little' things did not bother us.

Only recommendation would be to sort out the front of house staff. This would EXCLUDE the guys right at the front, who welcome you with those wonderful Jamaican smiles as you get off your bus - they are brilliant and make up for the other tosser sitting behind the Front Desk!

Finally - Ladies, if you may require Tampax, bring your own! You won't find any in the guest shop or anywhere within walking distance of Sans Souci.

• Liked — Views, balcony, location of suite, privacy, lovely bed, great shower!
  • Disliked — Reception Man!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Couples Swept Away
#15 of 85 in Negril
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,086 reviews
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!