“Wedding Paradise without any stress.”
Review of Couples Sans Souci

Couples Sans Souci
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Pontypool, United Kingdom
“Wedding Paradise without any stress.”
Reviewed September 4, 2008

Where to begin, Airport nice friendly bartender at the Couples lounge. Pretty long journey to the resort but wonderful scenery and driver was entertaining...

Arrived at the resort ,very relaxing feel straight away.. glass of champagne and cool towel and welcome to paradise..

From the moment we were upgraded to a Beachfront jacuzzi suite facing the sea to the moment we left, it was all a fairytale dream.

.Kemol Dixon assistant general manager was the nicest most polite hotel manager i have ever come across in my travels around the globe..Nothing was too much trouble and everything was a pleasure for him and not a chore. He made our wedding and vacation something that we will never forget.

The hotel itself is picturesque and tranquil, the beach secluded and spacious enough to make you feel you are alone. The food at all the restaurants was simply magnificent, i love good food and this resort had an abundance of fantastically presented exquisite tasting food.... also for the romantics it has an in suite dining experience...for which you just call the desk up and within 20 mins the waiter brings the food there for you, piping hot accompanied by chilled champagne or wines/beers etc all included at no charge...
Rooms were lovely and spacious and so clean we stayed in B35 overlooking the caribbean sea...............................................................Sorry just drifted off there.for a moment..................Gymnasium under the careful but experienced eye of .Fabian was a joy to go to every day With the walk through the resort a real pleasure especially early morning, also you would be guaranteed a Good morning from each and every member of staff you came into contact with.....They seem to know your names within about two days which is quite some feat.....
The whole ambience of the resort is something to behold and the gala nights on the friday nights are just quite simply unbelievable.and oh so romantic with outstanding cabaret acts coupled by breathtaking foods on display.......

The drinks are quite simply superb any drink you could think of around the world they seem to have it...From Baileys Irish cream to Smirnoff Vodka and Red Stripe beer to Jack Daniels and a sprinkling of French champagne thrown in for good measure.
The night life is what you make it some nights but when the entertainment team roll in look out it really is the business. From Lige, Tasha Meguil Fabian and Jodie etc its quite some lively entertainment and also Trevor the pianist at the Balloon bar what a talent he turns live karaoke into an art form..

Look out for DJ he sells his own pottery items and what a gentleman he is gives you that warm Jamaican welcome each time he sees you, please please buy from him its not expensive but it means so much to him...Tell him Sean the Firefighter from Wales recommended you he will remember we had some interesting long chats..Oh and the odd game of table tennis....

Water sports are fab so is the sailing on the hobie cats..and Scuba diving...

Please go to this wonderful place, do not be frightened about people stealing etc these people wait a long time to get a job at this resort they would not jeopardise it for any guests belongings....Remember out of sight out of mind put things you value away.....
.So please if you want relaxation or maybe you are planning your wedding then look no further..with top hospitality and great food and drink...then do go without any fear to Couples San Souci..which means 'Without a care' and it truly is never before have i been so relaxed on a vacation as at CSS.

We are currently trying to book to go back for our first anniversary in November 2008

One final word must go to Pierre Battaglia General Manager.....Thank you for making guests feel so welcome at your resort its like being part of a adopted family..long may it continue...
.Cheers and good wishes to all from , Sean and Deborah Hanson Wales UK.

• Liked — The Jamaican hand of friendship was held out all through our fantastic wedding.
  • Disliked — Absolutely nothing to complain about
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WorldWideWelshman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,305)
Niagara Falls, ON
Reviewed September 3, 2008

Visited Couples Sans Souci August 18-25 for our Honeymoon.

Airport- When you clear Immigration and Customs you make your way over to a Couples lounge, it is great, never seen this before. There are chairs and comfy sofa's to sit around on as other people going to your resort clear. You can get beer here too ;)

Check in- Smooth, we didn't encounter any problems. You may not get room if arrive before 3pm, but we are used to that and tend to pack our bathing suits and suntan lotion in our carry on just in case the room isn't ready.

Grounds- BEAUTIFUL, absolutely great. (Mr travel experience DR and Cuba)........never before seen hotel grounds so unique. There are great walkways and paths all over the place. For some seniors or anyone with leg/hip difficulty I would not recommend this resort. The grounds are what make this hotel so stunning though.

Rooms- We were in C wing. I agree with some of the other reviews that the room are a bit old and need a full renovation..... but really, who cares- you are in Jamaica- go outside!!!!!

Housekeeping is great though; they are really on the ball. On previous trips to other resorts sometimes we would be waiting for our room to be cleaned still at 3pm, not at Sans Souci, those girls are good, each day our room was done an hour after we left it. The turn down service is a nice touch too, didn't happen each night, but oh well.

Theft- I see many people mentioned this, but we did not have a problem at all, nor did I hear anyone on the resort mention this while I was there. We used the safe in the room for our wedding rings, passports, and wallets, no concerns.

Tipping- I asked on our orientation tour about tipping and I was told, "The staff are not allowed to accept tips, but"..........so I was uncertain what to do- but I never saw any money crossing hands and the staff did not expect anything in my opinion. The staff gave great service, period!!!!!

Service- Every staff member we encountered gave great service, far better than any restaurant in Ontario. Staff was always polite and friendly. The staff really make this resort so great.

Food- AWESOME!!!!!!!! Absolutely no complaints whatsoever!!!! Every meal we had was great. We even ordered a late afternoon room service snack a few times; it came prompt, and was great too. We never did the dinner or breakfast in the room.

One thing staff forgets to mention is that at lunch and breakfast there is often someone at the side of the restaurant preparing food on the grill fresh.....it wasn't until day 3 that I figured out there was omelettes. At lunch there is usually something fresh prepared too (pasta or subs)

Dinner- GO to the Beach Party dinner and GO to the Gala dinner!!!! Don’t’ be antisocial and order room service. The meal is SOOOO good, with tons to pick from!!!! A lot of effort is taken to make the night look really special.

The Balloon Bar is a fun place to be at night, we had a couple late nights there, Trevor provides great entertainment on his piano.

Sunset- The best place to see the sunset is at the Au Natural beach……after 5pm clothing is welcome as are cameras. We have so many great pictures from that beach. The resort photographer shows up usually, as does the saxophone player. I totally recommend going there! It is a MUST.

Activities-

Dunns River- Was a BLAST!!!! Lots of fun. Bring your underwater camera, the guides will take your picture along the way………and expect a tip at the end……but it was a fun time!!!

Snorkelling- I didn’t think the place they took us was that great. Seeing the sunken ship is interesting, but the fish life wasn’t anything special. I would say that DR is better.

Beach- The beach is good, small compared to other resorts, but never full or overcrowded somehow. The floaters are AWESOME. Very secluded and private, the sand didn't blow around either.

Massage- As Honeymooners you get complimentary ½ hr massages, UPGRADE this, you will not regret it!!!!! It was the best massage I have yet to have.

Overall, this was the best vacation I have ever been on. Everyone is so relaxed and enjoying life. I would highly recommend this resort.

• Liked — Food, staff,and ground facilities
  • Disliked — Nothing
5 Thank EHandGH
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed August 31, 2008

My husband and I married at Couples Negril in 2000 and have been there several times and also at Swept Away.

This last trip the end of August was a special getaway as I had been dealing with severe medical issues since 2006. It HAD to be special...and it was. I would definitely go back and definitely recommend it to others.

The suites are wonderful as are all the views, the food is quite good and the staff is the friendliest I have encountered....very warm and personable. There are activities if you want them but also places to just be quiet and rest. I loved the mineral springs and the mineral pool area.

There are lots of steps but i just looked at it as an easy way to exercise! I

A wonderful experience overall.

• Liked — The suite, the staff, the food, the mineral pool
  • Disliked — Housekeeping..a few thinhs were not freshened and the mini bar was not always restocked with Club Soda which we drink a lot of. This is MINOR, though, compared to the good things!
5 Thank Cherieatl
Minnesota MN
Reviewed August 29, 2008

Our first time in Jamaica, the overall trip was really good. From the start at the airport, the ride is long but the roads are good, took us 2 hrs approximately to get to the Hotel.

Once there the check in went smoothly, and were also upgraded to a penthouse suite. All staff were very helpful and always smiling.

The room was spacious and clean, and had a good view of the ocean front and the Resort. However we did not spend much time in the rooms except to get our sleep.

The selections of restaurants were really good and we ate at all 3 restaurants, Bella Vista being our favorite as it was more casual and on the beach. Overall food was good, and tasteful.

One good thing about this place is that it had its own secluded beach area, not big but you had your privacy and felt quite and relaxed, just as we had planned out to do so.

We've seen the previous reviews about personal items being stolen, was not the case for us, we did however keep any expensive possessions locked up in our bag or the safe. With about 1/2 or more of the resort occupied it can be hard to tell exactly how bad the security issue would be with things stolen from the room, i think being a little precautious you should be fine with keeping your belongings from being stolen.

We did meet many newlyweds here, and many on their honeymoon like us, so the atmosphere was perfectly blended with that feeling of relaxation and serenity.

Overall - Met our expectations.

5 Thank siddi777
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 26, 2008

My husband and I vacationed at San Souci in 2004, it was not yet a Couples resort at that time. Happily, we will be returning in November of 2008. I have been on this message board to get updates about the property and was reminded that we too were robbed on our last evening at the resort when we were there.

I left my wallet in our room safe and after returning from dinner realized that our cash was stolen. We contacted security and a report was written up, but it all seemed quite routine for them. Not a great experience for vacation.

I write this review merely as a caution to truly guard your valuables while you are at the resort.

Obviously, it is as beautiful and romantic as all the previous posts say, or else we would not be returning.

While it is NOT the best place to stay in Jamaica...that title goes to ROYAL PLANTATION, it IS the best place to go for an inexpensive Jamaican vacation. We are looking forward to our return.

• Liked — The natural beauty of this resort is breathtaking. The BEST swimming experience of my life.
  • Disliked — Theft & The stairs...
  • Stayed July 2004, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KAWEENA
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed August 24, 2008

By way of background, I wanted an Island vacation, relaxation, excellent food and tropical grounds. We are both in our early 30's and needed a break from the hustle and bustle of Los Angeles. When we started researching our summer vacation, we had decided on three possible islands, none of which were Jamaica. My husband stumbled on information for Sans Souci and after extensive research, we completely changed our plans.

We choose Sans Souci because the grounds appeared amazing, the food received good reviews and the hotel itself did not look like a large/bland chain hotel. We stayed from 7/30 - 8/5

Rooms: We booked a one bedroom ocean suite, with balcony. It was very important for use to have an amazing view, as we wanted to spend some of our evenings simply looking over the ocean and drinking wine. We were initially placed in D block (some of the rooms seemed to have amazing views, ours did not). We did not complain but our wonderful bellman (Nico) noticed that we were checking out the balcony. He said he would make a call to the front desk and show us a few different rooms to see if we liked any of the others. He took us to G16, on the cliff. The view was amazing, looking over the mineral pool with a clear shot to the ocean. We had a table with two chairs and a large chaise lounge on the balcony. The balcony was large enough that I did not feel like we even had any neighbors. The actual room itself looked like it had been updated. Nice bed, good size bathroom. Overall the room was as I expected, but the balcony/view is beyond words.

Food: I am extremely picky. My husband has given up on taking me to Mexico b/c of the food issues I have. No problems here. Loved the food. We had great jerk chicken at the beach bar/grill and loved our dinners at Casanova and Bella Terra. Even though Casanova is the nicer restraunt I loved Bella Terra for its location on the beach, good selection of Jamaican food and our server Maureen.

Atmosphere: We have never been to an AI, so we were not sure what to expect. We spent most mornings on the beach, under either a palapa or one of the trees. One of the most relaxing things was taking the floaty into the ocean. While I have heard the beach is not as nice as Negril, it was just perfect. You are completely secluded from any other resort and you feel like it is your own private island. I absolutely loved the feeling of seclusion. The grounds were unbelievable. There were so many beautiful stair cases and quiet areas throughout the resort Since we were in the G block, we had a long walk to the pool and always took advantage of exploring different paths. We did not partake too much in the night life, other than to have a few drinks after dinner at either the beach bar or balloon bar.

Overall: Wonderfully romantic. I was more relaxed than I have ever been. I appreciated seeing the GM walking the grounds and mingling with the guests. The overall pace of the hotel was perfect, very relaxing, no spring break feel, but still plenty of friendly people to talk to and activities.

• Liked — Amazing and romantic grounds
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
8 Thank catc
ottawa
Reviewed August 21, 2008

Bottom line this place was great. The layout is beautiful, the people are friendly, the food was excellent. The only part that gave us grief was Air Canada, but thats to be expected, I wish we had other choices from Canada.

We went to relax and do nothing and thats exactly what we got. I had zero stress, there were no issues getting dinner times, no problems going diving or snorkleing (some people went every day) Biggest problem I had was trying to decide on what to eat or what drink to order. The entertainment was actually pretty good, I was impressed.

In the end, based on what we heard about the other resorts from other people, this was the best place to be. We would definitly go back to sans souci if we go back to Jamaica.

• Liked — The layout and beauty of the place
  • Disliked — Coffee maker in room
3 Thank superchop
Couples Negril
Couples Negril
#8 of 81 in Negril
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!