“Fabulous again - best Couples resort.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Couples Sans Souci

Couples Sans Souci
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
wakefield
“Fabulous again - best Couples resort.”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

We just can't fault San Souci.
Nothing is too much trouble for the Management and all the staff.
This was our 4th visit and we had a top floor room on the beach with a fabulous view of the ocean.
The resort is built on a steep incline but they sent a bus down to our location within a few minutes every time we needed to go to reception or to the Balloon bar where the evening entertainment is located.
Everything appears to run like clockwork.
The main dining room just off the beach is a fantastic location and the food & wines are superb.
The Gala evening & Return Guest evening etc. are extremely well organised with great entertainment laid on.
The gardens are lush and there are lots of interesting areas to discover all round the property.
There are lots of other good things we could say about this resort but you need to go and try it yourself you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Get an Ocean View on the beach.
8 Thank GAPAR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,261)
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We stayed at CSS in November and it was lovely.The resort is on many levels with lots of steps to negotiate , the gardens were beautiful and well tended If you have mobility problems this is not the resort for you. It was necessary to make reservations for two of the restaurants which was never a problem. The food was excellent. The greatest attribute to this resort are the staff and management , so friendly and helpful.
The reason I didn't award 5 stars is that the resort is looking a bit tired in places and needs some TLC, but I understand a major refurb is underway.
If you are looking for a quiet , relaxing holiday with great service and superb food look no further.

Room Tip: We were in Gardenia block which was secluded and quiet overlooking the bay
5 Thank rhoades123
CouplesSocialMgr, Public Relations Manager at Couples Sans Souci, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Rhoades 123,

Great to know you enjoyed your time with us in island paradise and thank you for your appreciation of the staff. As you observed we are doing some refreshment work on the resort as we endeavor at all times to maintain the resort as best as possible. Hope you will return soon.
Somerset, Kentucky
Reviewed December 7, 2013

For starters, I think some people couldn't be pleased if you paid them. This resort was EXCELLENT and we aren't 60. From the minute we stepped off the plane, breezed through customs, and had a drink while we waited for transportation, everything and everyone was perfect. I have traveled to very nice places in Puerto Rico & the US, and Jamaica topped it. The drive was approximately 2 hours but we had a great driver who told us all about the country and its history which was nice. Our room was upgraded and it was so clean and so nice, and our housekeeper kept our bar well stocked and left wine and cheese, roses, etc just that extra special touch. There are daily activities like music trivia and bingo at the swim up bar.... and evening activities, we took part in many including the casino night, the beach party, the disco party after hours etc...there was always something to do if you wanted, and if not you weren't pushed to participate. All water activities are included!! and so are three excursions which you absolutely do not get with a lot of other resorts. Dunn's River Falls was fun and exciting and the shopping trip was nice too. The beach was so calm and refreshing, and cleaned daily as well. I didn't get bit by a bug in the week we were there either. We felt the food was great too, and we didn't even get to eat at Casablanca because my hubs forgot pants. Room service was a nice bonus too. We got it just because we could :) We will absolutely be returning because the hospitality of the workers was tremendous and the resort was beautiful!!! A big thanks to Jacob for the sight seeing para-sail trip and Linguine for being so fun! The drinks were also superb!! We cannot wait for our next trip!!!

Room Tip: All looked nice!! We were in the closest one towards the nude beach, upstairs and it was very nice a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank beachlove123
Thank you for having chosen to visit with us and for your feedback which is highly appreciated.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us sightseeing,hanging with the staff and partaking of the delicious dishes at Casanova Restaurant. We do look forward to hosting you again soon.
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Couples San Souci! I had my doubts in the beginning that it was older resort but lets just say the pictures do not do it justice! First off the drive is an hour and half but there is so much to see if you have never been and historic sites. Remember to tip the driver as he is not part of the resort non tipping. We did not need our marriage licence at checking in they told us its for your free 20 min. back massage. The room we just like a cottage at a lake, the crisp colors of blue and white with two patio doors and one shutter window. The beds.... the beds are a cloud! including the pillows I had such a great sleep nothing to compare in Mexico even at the Riu Palace.
The beach party was amazing with live bands, fashion show and soooo much food. The food was great lots of selections. Everything was fresh and the lobster tail was cooked perfectly. Funny how they include everyone, ill explain. They had a gala for guests who were there on their second or more time visit. They want their guests to feel welcomed. But we went to the only restaurant that wasn't an al la carte (which is still menu not buffet) We were served lobster just like the gala!
When we went to the orientation which is either at 9am or 5pm everyday and before our tour, we meet the general manager who takes the time out to ask us our names and shake our hands. Who does that??!!
The place has alot of hideaways for massage or just some alone time. 5 massage rooms outside facing the forest and ocean.
The ocean was alot tame compared to Mexico. The foam on every chair is a floater for you to take out to the ocean. The bar had everything including soothing reggae with a snack shack steps away. The Casanova has the most amazing huge steaks! i even had to go kiss the chef and tell him he has put our chefs to shame.
The service was outstanding and I have nothing to complain about except the Jewel Store is major Expensive!!!
The only thing i would tell your customers going here would be,make sure to pack dress clothes. I would say 4 very nice dresses and men with dress shirts and dress pant.
The night life is quiet but not boring! they have live entertainment and no its not the day entertainment people, they have singers who get the crowd involve. The have someone on a piano and people sing along to the song. If you are looking for a party, loud, and singles, this is NOT the resort. I found it very romantic, elegant, private. And if you are out going, the nude beach would be for you but it is closed at 5 so that people can go there and watch the sunset.
I would recommend anyone who is looking to learn the history of Jamaica and Bob, Do the Bob Marley trip on the Singing bus! it was 200 for both of us and its all day with snack (you pay for bevies) and lunch, also the first place they take you, dont buy everything there, Bob marley tour place has alot of souvenirs but just in case you did change your mind you go back to the first place you stopped for lunch. We ran out of Jamaican money and it was 20% charge to take out money. ouch!
There is also a farmer's market on Thursday just across the street from the resort that we found my favourite fruit, Sour Sop! It looks like spiky green and inside looks like a grapefruit squashed except white. but it tastes like a combination of orange, pineapple citrus.
We were also told that if you wanted to give something to anyone, give them calling cards. They are really expensive to use and they love money but they need those or women's razors or make up.
We will be back!
Also I will dare you to try Vanessa Martinez and see if she emails you back in about 5 mins from the time you send!!! vanessam@centreholidays.com
Prove me Wrong

Room Tip: Stay away from Building A or floor suites
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Scarma8408
skarma 848,

As always we appreciate the feedback. We are indeed a very special resort that prides itself in exemplary service and going the extra mile. We appreciate that you liked the gesture of the GM to welcome you to the resort and also really enjoyed hearing how much you loved and appreciated the food, chefs and the culture. We sincerely hope that you will come back to visit with us again soon so we can pamper you in one of those hidden massage huts.
Elkhart, Indiana
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We stayed at CSS for our honeymoon in June, and it was fantastic! I spent a lot of time researching where we wanted to go before deciding on CSS, and it was the perfect spot - away from other hotels, didn't have a chain hotel feel, perfect blend of beach with nature. The biggest bonus for us was the scuba diving included in the price, and it was a great experience, I absolutely recommend the dive. Sunset beach (the nudie side) was gorgeous and by far our favorite beach. We loved that the main beach was set in a cove, so you're not bothered by other hotels/people trying to sell you things. When we were checked in, we were upgraded to a penthouse suite with a bottle of champagne and appetizers, so that was great.
We paid the extra price for a private drive, and wish we hadn't. In fact, it was overlooked on our leave, and we ended up having to take the bus anyways - which took no more time than the private drive. I was rather disappointed that we weren't even offered any form of reimbursement for this.
The food was okay. It sucked that you can't order anything unless it's on the menu. I tried to order a chicken Caesar wrap (they have Caesar salad and grilled chicken, couldn't they just throw it in a wrap for me?) but nope, they didn't make those. The Jerk Burger at the beach restaurant was good, I ate that just about every day. Dinner at Casanova was the best. It would be nice to have a few more restaurants or choices, but I understand that it is what it is.
One time I tried to order my husband coffee at Palazzina one morning as he ran back to the room to get me something, but the waitress did not want to pour it until he got there. I had to practically argue with her in order for her to finally pour it (we were on a time crunch to make scuba diving).
We did have one terrible night as there was a live band playing on the patio near Casanova - right beside our room. It was incredibly loud, and I could not sleep until they left late into the night. Of course that happened on a night that I was exhausted, so I was not a happy camper. That was honestly the worst part of our trip.
There were ants or water bugs or something in our bathroom, but we just kept killing them all and it calmed down a bit. It's a third-world country, what can you do?
The grounds on CSS are stunning. Greenery everywhere, with amazing water views. The walk up and down the stairs is not terrible.. I even have a bad knee. As long as you're not a completely lazy individual you'll be fine. We looked at it as an adventure with all of the paths and seeing which staircase took you where.
The spa was expensive, but wonderful. I've never in my life had someone work all of the knots out of my back - that was absolutely the most relaxed I have EVER felt.
Everyone was extremely friendly and fun. We plan to return for much longer and with friends in the future.

Room Tip: One bedroom beachfront suite... great room! Large and gorgeous.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Heather C
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

We loved this place so much! We visited for our honeymoon and are ready to move back forever. It was gorgeous. The food was incredible! Let me tell you about our story to the a la carte restaurant. We were dressed up all nice and formal and took our seats. When looking the menu over I saw steak, salmon and tiger prawns for the entrees. They all looked amazing and with the menu changing every night I didn't want to miss my opportunity! What to do... I said to the waiter, "give me whatever is best out of these three." He laughed and nodded and proceeded to tell the table next to us his plan. He was a great guy, I wish I could remember his name... 15 minutes later or so, out comes my wife's dish, a reasonable portion of the steak, and then out comes my plate, or shall we say platter! He had brought me out all three main courses on one plate! What fantastic service?!

This place won't go cheap on you. If you've done all inclusive before and got cheated from it with poor food, poor drinks and poor service well this is the place to come! They treated us like Kings and Queens! I could keep writing, the smoothie bar, the beach where you put flags in the sand to order a drink, the free watersports, the happy employees, the views, the views, the views!!!!

Just do me a favor, go to this place and invite us to come with you. We fell in love with this place and will definitely be back!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Andrew W
Hi Andrew,

Great food is one thing we love to offer and are happy you enjoyed the dining experience. We do appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Michigan
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We just returned from our 10th trip to a Couples resort (8-CSS, 1-CN, 1-CSA)... Sans Souci is our favorite, although the others are very good as well! We prefer the more private setting as Sans Souci has a private beach, the grounds are very lush with alot of vegetation throughout the resort and partially built on a cliffside... We got to see some of our very favorite people (staff): Michelle Gordon, whom we always have the pleasure of her company at dinner at least once while we are visiting...Nicola, waitstaff at Bella Vista; Easton, bartender at the Pallazina restaurant; Knoxroy, bartender at the Balloon Bar, so many wonderful staff members at this resort! The repeat guest dinner was really nice, we sat outside this year and had the pleasure of having Pierre Battaglia, the GM, sit at our table with us! we also met many other couples that were repeat guests as well...

We have been here enough times that we have pretty much had a room in every block of the resort, however, we still prefer being on the cliffside for the amazing views!! Casanova is probably our most favorite restaurant, but all of the restaurants are very good...

We saw that Couples Sans Souci is also making some great progress with renovations...a new salon, spa area...retiled around the Balloon Bar and Casanova outside dining areas and they were working on building a new Martini bar as well!

This resort makes you feel very welcomed, which is why we keep returning...we will 'soon come' again! :)

Room Tip: We prefer the cliffside rooms (G Block) for the amazing views...
4 Thank JAMAICALUVRS
JAMAICALUVRS,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us and for your continued support. We will be sure to advise all staff mentioned how special they made your stay, and as we continue to improve the product offered we look forward to hosting you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocho Rios
Couples Swept Away
Couples Swept Away
#15 of 85 in Negril
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!