“TRUST ME.....BOOK THE HIBISCUS COTTAGE!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Couples Sans Souci

Couples Sans Souci
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“TRUST ME.....BOOK THE HIBISCUS COTTAGE!!!!”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

It is hard to find the words to express how amazing our trip was here. If you ask us, we stayed at the BEST resort in all of Jamaica.We rented the one private villa on the property, but from talking with other guests, it was a great vacation regardless of what room you had. The hibiscus cottage was amazing though, private hot tub, hammock, INCREDIBLE views...EVERYTHING. We went for our honeymoon so wanted the perfect mix of privacy and things to do and this def was perfect.

The water sports area and the employees that ran that area were the best, EVER!! We made friends with them, went on various trips on boats and even fell in love with snorkeling on this trip. The Captain, Maliki, I believe was a treat to be out on the water with and really made the trip special! There is SO much to do....sit and relax in a beach chair, grab some food, have drinks at the beach bar, windsurf, learn to scuba dive, snorkel, sunset boat rides.....you name it, it's included!!!
The terrain is beautiful - hidden pools, mineral pools, hot tubs, garden areas, hammocks, and waterfalls are everywhere. You see little lizards and doves all over during the day, which are really cool....and the frogs serenade you to sleep. On top of that, the bird life was impressive - egrets, pelicans and even the occasional Frigatebird - which was a real treat.
Overall the staff was incredible - everyone remembered you. Whether they checked you in when you get there or waited on you at dinner - they remembered you EVERY time they saw you! We also went on the Dunns River Falls trip and it met all expectations and gave us an opportunity to haggle with some locals for some souvenirs.
I am sure from all the capital letters in the review you can see how much we enjoyed it - I would recommend this place over and over and over again!

Room Tip: Hibiscus cottage - but if not, it depends what you are looking for. If you want to be in the heart...
5 Thank TheFalcos13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,261)
Goose Creek, South Carolina
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed at CSS from 9/28-10/4, this was our first REAL vacation in three years and was more than I could have dreamed. Our room was an oceanview with verandah in Gardenia building. We had a spectacular view and a wonderful verandah where we spent our afternoons relaxing, enjoying a few cold Red Stripes, and reading. Our mornings were spent walking along the beach with coffee in hand before breakfast followed by sea kayaking, snorkeling, and simply playing in the water. We made it to the swim-up bar once, just to say we did it, but the beach and water were so nice and we never went long without an attendant taking care of our beverage needs that the pool was not a priority...and the drinks are fun! I am normally a beer or wine drinker but in Jamaica, why not? I made it through one page of the cocktail menu in one week. It is a great way to get your fruit ;)

There were plenty of activities that upon our next trip we will take part in, this trip was to decompress, unplug, and relax. We did enjoy the bicycles that were available and strolling around the property. We loved our walks to and from our room so that we could enjoy the vegetation (it is a rainforest) and see things like hermit crabs living in their natural environment.

The restaurants were beautiful, the food was delicious (everything tastes better by the sea) and the service was stellar. The fruit and cheese bar at Pallazina was just what I needed every morning to start the day. Dinner was wonderful at Casanova, but, I truly enjoyed Bella Vista. Dining 5 feet from the surf is an experience that I will never forget. I live in a coastal town and our waterfront dining CANNOT compare.

We are planning for another visit to CSS in 2015 but if we could make it happen sooner, I would be packed in no time at all.

Room Tip: The ocean view with verandah provided a spacious bedroom and an equally spacious covered verandah, t...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Dana P
Herts
Reviewed October 15, 2013

First visit but may well go back. Our original one bedroom suite, with sea view through trees, tiny bathroom and close to the noisy bar, was quickly replaced by a very spacious top floor corner one - fantastic improvement. Just amazed it was the same price and category as the first one. Fabulous views from G block at the top of the resort and we didn't mind the steps or the distance from the beach.
The food was good to excellent. Main courses, especially fish, in all restaurants were consistently very good. Personally, we'd have liked more Jamaican food than the mediocre attempts at Italian. The beach party night was the only time we had a good range of local food.
Quite a lot of building and refurbishment in off peak September and the resort was only half full. Suited us - no waiting, relaxed rules about booking activities and restaurants, plenty of beach space etc.
The all inclusive scuba is very good if you're qualified - the resort's own boat and scuba team run you out to nearby reefs. Staff were consistently helpful and friendly- the good-humoured and efficient girls on the front desk really went out of their way to help. We didn't see much evidence of people soliciting tips.
Not much to criticise really but, if pushed, three irritating things:
1. guests smoking in some public areas was unpleasant, especially round the mineral pool;
2. Not everyone enjoys groups of feral cats scrounging round the restaurant and defecating in the grass next to the tables (Amazingly a lot of guests seemed happy with this, though. Maybe they should think about where those flies have been...)
3. I wasn't impressed by the photo desk's inflexibility. I was the only guest on a scuba trip with a photographer. I bought the best shot of me with a turtle as a jpeg file for $15. Happy with that. There were 20-30 other photos (the dive crew, various fish and more almost identical of me and the turtle). I was interested in some of them and said I'd happily pay $100 for the files. No way, apparently - $15 each. So they had some picture files that had no sale value to anyone else, it would cost them nothing to put the files on the disk I was already buying, yet they refused $100. I dive a lot, have a camera and hundreds of pictures of me diving. I was never going to pay $15 for an image file of a fish that happened to be there when I was- but apparently it's the same price as a unique print of someone's wedding anniversary celebration. Makes no sense. Suggestion. Do what many other operations do if they send out a scuba photographer: offer a disk of the each trip to all divers (at, say, $100?) - nothing individual, all the same, 30-60 pictures, fixed price. You'd still have the option to buy other special pictures at the full price. It would be more profitable than what they do now and guests would be happy too.
But, despite those irritations, this was a very relaxed and enjoyable trip. Hope to return.

4 Thank xirned
Alford, Florida, United States
Reviewed October 12, 2013

This resort is nestled in beautiful Ocho Rios Jamaica so we knew the seas and sand, etc. were going to be beautiful! What I was most impressed with was the staff. So friendly, so helpful and accommodating! They definitely aim to please!

Room Tip: Evergreen rooms have nicer balconies than some others
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Maggie T
north carolina
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Once again, we needed the caring, pampering at Sans Souci. Small turnover in staff, but same caring, loving, warm staff. Beach BBQ show better then ever, Friday night gala always unique! Such a romantic, beautiful place. We love that it is small. Do not be frightened of hills, vans will take you anywhere on property. Starting renovations, spa and hairdresser and I believe, rooms, starting with beach buildings. It is "old Jamaica" decor, traditional. Beds extremely comfortable, food excellent! Manager truly hands on, super great man who resects his personal and obviously, you can see they in return, try their best. Great for quiet, romantic interludes. Property peaceful and absolutely beautiful! Managers repeat dinner...unbelievable! Best pastry chef anywhere, hands down!

Room Tip: Quieter rooms in A,B and C block. However, entertainment over by 11.
4 Thank tangofrl
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Just got back from CSS and this place still has all the ambiance and charm we fell in love with the first trip. All the food and staff are still amazing. Special shout outs to some staff who made it great and please excuse the spelling. Alecia at guests services, Dalton at the front desk, Spaghetti, Linguini, and Sasha, Dominique at the pool bar, and the duo of Jheneal and Veronique at SSB who had to put up with me this past week. The staff are certainly the shining stars of CSS. It is a great resort, but they make it the best.
WE were there just as the construction of the SSB pool and hot tub were being completed, and the workers put in an extra effort to complete on time, even working through a couple nights with floodlights to get er done. It now has an actual in ground hot tub, and the pool without the grotto seems much larger, a cleaner feel to it. There are now stairs in the pool between the shallow and deeper ends, all new tiles everywhere, including the showers, bar, and grill. I also saw many new lounge chairs and floaties as well.
The work continues in the spa area, will new cedar roofing on the spa office, along with new concrete tiles on the balloon bar deck, the lower patio, and in the spa area where the giant chess board used to be. Apparently they also plan on making the patio area just below the balloon bar patio, next to E block into a martini bar. The main pool bar has a new roof as well. They are also re modelling a room in B block, and will continue to update rooms. They will eventually renovate all the rooms in A and B block, but no time schedule was announced on that.
I think it is great that Couples is investing and upgrading their properties to give their guests a better experience.
We did take a day to try out CTI. As I have posted elsewhere they certainly have that south beach feel and vibe down to a tee. All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful, the beach, although small, was very nice. We tried the island experience as well, and although it is not SSB, I can certainly see why this place is a favorite for many. Unfortunately rain dampened our day, and we went back to CSS early.
The resort wasn't full by no means, apparent by the number of people at the repeaters dinner and gala night, but it was still fun, the food was amazing as always, and the showtime at the gala was very entertaining. A conga line got started at the gala, and the only ones who got involved were SSB guests. WE know how to have a good time!!!
We had our private dinner on our balcony again this year. Just our preference as it is more private and the loo is not far away!!! Definitely worth the extra money as this was THE best meal of the week.
We requested and got G-16 again this year. We just LOVE the view and privacy of being up high in the trees and don't mind the stairs as it certainly helps to burn off the copious amounts of food and drinks we consume while there. My daily menu consisted of breakfast, lunch, lunch again, and dinner. I love to cook at home, but the food here is far above anything I make. First rate all the way.
Overall it was another amazing trip made more special by the staff. The sad bus wasn't as sad as my wife thought it would be, as I gave her her anniversary present on Monday at our private dinner... a copy of the confirmation for our trip next year that I booked back in May. We will be "home" September 27th, 2014. Trip number 4 in 4 years.
This place is that good. It's quaint, laid back, and very relaxing. There are places there that are more social as well, but the vibe is very relaxed. It may be a bit too laid back for some, but it's perfect for us. All to deal with now is the dreaded countdown!!!

5 Thank Vacateyourlife
Green Bay, WI
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We spent our honeymoon at Couples San Souci from 5/7/13 to 5/14/13. This was our first time to Jamiaca. Because we booked our honeymoon based on reviews we read on Trip Advisor, we felt obligated to write a review ourselves. That is why this is our first review. As you'll read, Couples San Souci comes with our endorsement and we wish to go back soon!

Room - we stayed in B3. I would highly recommend this room as it was on the ground level, close to the Palazzina restaurant, the main beach, the main pool, and the beach bar and grille. It seemed like a central location for everything we did. Not to mention our patio looked over the beach and ocean. The only complaint we have from our entire stay was the water pressure in our bathroom. I don't know if this is a common theme with the rest of the resort or just our room. The water literally trickled out of the shower faucet. Even so, it was not worth us contacting the staff. We managed just fine.

Food - the food was excellent. We have read plenty of rave reviews regarding the Casanova, we ate there once and we agree it was great. Plan on spending 2 hours or more in the restaurant however. We actually preferred the Palazzina for dinner. Their pasta bar was amazing! We didn't have a bad meal the entire time we were there. We also didn't have any issues with reservations. We made a few when we arrived and the others throughout the week and never had any issues. We were quite flexible however.

Beach - The beach was nice. Because we can't compare it to any other beaches in Jamaica, it's hard to say it was perfect. The sand was white and it was soft. There were not excessive rocks or shells on the beach that required us to wear water shoes or sandals. We were barefoot most of the time. I can see how lounge chair availability could be an issue as it seemed as though people would place their towels or shirts on the lounge chairs in the morning and rarely return to them throughout the day. However, we didn't have an issue finding lounge chairs when we went to the beach.

Staff - the staff was superb. Every single staff member we encountered was friendly and willing to do whatever it took for us to enjoy our stay. From the airport lounge to the transport drivers to the resort staff, everyone was great. We give four thumbs up for the hospitality we were shown by the staff. A slight dismay in this regard is that the front desk is not able to make change. I often wanted to tip staff members for their service but only had large bills. I tend to disregard no tipping policies when a staff member has gone above and beyond to make our trip enjoyable. We ended up tipping about 200 dollars throughout the week although not a single staff member expected it or treat us any differently when we didn't tip.

Excursions - The Dunn's River Falls tour was a neat experience. We were glad we did it and it is something that everyone in the area should do once. We also left the resort for the shopping tour. This was nice because it was during a day when a cruise ship wasn't at port so we had the shops to ourselves. I was surprised that a majority of the shop owners appear to be of Indian decent. Not that this was bad, just not what we had expected. They were not willing to negotiate much so we ended up buying only a few things. We did the Margarittaville excursion and it also was something we were glad we experienced. This was probably the most unsafe we felt during the entire week. We wouldn't say it was dangerous, just different and the clientele was a bit unsettling. Lastly, we booked a tour with Hooves to ride horses down the hill side and into the ocean. It was an excellent time. The horses appeared to be well taken of and were easy to ride. We participated in a private tour so it was only my wife and I. Our tour guide was phenomenal. He was friendly, courteous, and quite humorous as well. We'd highly recommend Hooves.

The activities on the resort were great as well. We especially enjoyed the scuba diving, It was something we had never done before. We were able to take the class on the resort and participate in a 40 ft dive. It was certainly a highlight of our trip.

Nightlife - My Wife and I are still quite young and we were contemplating another resort that may have had a more lively nightlife. We are glad we didn't. There was plenty to do at San Souci during the night. We never had an issue where we didn't at the least have a bar to go to and enjoy each other or other couples company. In fact, most of the nights we were in bed by 10:00pm because we were tired by the end of the day. Relaxing in the sun seemed to really get to us!

Clientele - We were one of the youngest couples on the resort. The age range seemed to be from the 20's to the 60's and everything in between. We met some several couples who we have kept in contact with.

Room Tip: B3 for an ocean view, walk out patio to the beach, and seemingly central location
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Couples Swept Away
Couples Swept Away
#15 of 85 in Negril
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!