Just back from a week at Couples Sans Souci (Aug 31 - Sep 7). Context: My wife Mary and I have been to Jamaica some 20 times now, and for the past few years have gone 3 times a year. We have stayed most often in Negril, but have also stayed in MoBay, Falmouth, and Port Antonio area. This was our first time to Ocho, and second visit to a Couples resort (stayed at Couples on 7-mile a couple of years ago).
What a lovely resort. The grounds were beautiful and well-kept, very lush. The resort itself is replete with steps, and getting from place to place generally requires a bit on climbing...and if you've ever spent a week eating at a resort, you'll know how thankful we were for the enforced exercise! We stayed in D-block (D6...you want room D7), so it was one flight down to the main beach. Lots to explore at this resort, which at first seems a bit smallish. From the three beaches (main, au natural and secret) to the various pools (main, au natural and mineral), to Charlie's grotto, there are lots of places tucked away to explore and enjoy.
The main beach was well kept, and because we were there off season, there was never a problem with beach chairs. Of course, we never actually sat on the main beach, so it was a moot issue. We spent our beach time on the au natural side. That beach (au natural) was a bit rocky in the water, but the beach itself was bit, lots of palapas and chairs, along with a pool and swim-up bar, beach grill, and more. It was well set up, and you could bring your beach bag and stay the day. Good thing, because it's a bit of a hike from the main beach.
Side note: one day we were on the beach and over comes a group visiting for the day from Couples Tower Isle (you have privileges at both resorts). Well, the leader of their merry band was not a happy camper. In the first few seconds, we all learned about his horrific trek from the lobby where they were dropped off to the beach, and OMG the stairs, the stairs!!! Within 5 minutes, we all heard how much better (and I mean really, really, REALLY better) Tower Isle was than this place, and how he wasn't going to waste his $600/day sitting here for one more minute!! (I don't think he got a very good deal.) They left. Whew. Just the energy it took to listen to the guy was exhausting. To close the circle, we visited Tower Isle the next day, and it was definitely different. The Tower Isle itself (the nude part) looked like Alcatraz, only accessible by boat shuttle, not a bit of sand, all concrete and naked tourists jammed into a pool trapped on an island. Yup, really, really, REALLY better. Nope. The fellow also told us (when we asked him what he thought of the locals) that he never leaves the compound. No kidding. Anyway, back to our story...
The staff at CSS were all very friendly and outgoing, and that's a plus. The food was typical, plentiful, and tasty enough. We're not big on resort entertainment, and so I'll just say it was there, it was typical, it was fine, and many people seemed to enjoy it. We went out to eat a couple of nights, but not because there wasn't anything to eat at the resort. :)
Back to the nude beach for a second. One of the highlights for us was the river that entered the sea just beside the beach. It was cool, clean water meeting the sea in interesting currents, and great to swim in. Better, though, was the fact that the river was home to several locals who were happy to hang out with us, and let us play with their puppies. (My wife was in heaven.) We would bring our breakfast leftovers every day and hand-feed sausage and bacon to three furry little bundles, who would then curl up in our laps and fall asleep. (The puppies, not the Jamaicans.)
What else? The rooms were very nice, well set up. I have read "dated" in other reviews, but we didn't feel that at all.
All in all, it was a great trip, we enjoyed the resort and the area, and would recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the cliffs of Jamaica’s emerald coast above a dazzling stretch of Caribbean, Couples Sans Souci beckons you to surrender mind, body and soul. The resort's 'no worries' mantra comes to life as every day unfolds. Lose yourself exploring secluded stone pathways. Melt away stress in the healing natural mineral springs. Feel a rush of exhilaration scaling Dunn's River waterfalls. Or simply drift asleep in a hammock by the sea. Located in vibrant Ocho Rios, the resort's design pays tribute to an understated colonial elegance—intricate latticework, white woven furnishings and feathered palms set a refined stage for your island escape. Dining options abound—from authentic Jamaican fare to five-star international cuisine. Private cabanas at cliff's edge provide the ideal setting for our signature spa treatments, while the choice of resort activities knows no limits. Learn the art of living well while living in the moment at Couples Sans Souci. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Hotwire, BookIt.com, Travelocity, TravelUp, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Couples Sans Souci reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Couples Sans Souci Hotel Ocho Rios
- Couples San Souci
- Couples Sans Souci Ocho Rios
- Couples Sans Souci Jamaica/Ocho Rios