“Great time, okay resort.”
Review of Couples Sans Souci

Couples Sans Souci
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The staff at Sans Souci is awesome, the most friendly staff of any resort we have ever been to by far. The beach is just okay, doesn't compare to SA. We had a couple of good meals and the rest were just average, not enough dining options……..but we still had a great time and would go back. Sunset Beach is beautiful

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 7, 2013

My wife and I had an awesome time at Couples San Souci last week. From the arrival lounge, to our greeting at the lobby, everything was amazing.
The meals were excellent.
The service was exemplary.
The scuba diving was exciting.
The private dinner on the beach (the only extra expense that we paid all week)... Was beyond excellent and special.

We were celebrating our 10 year anniversary and had such a great experience that we're already trying to figure out how we can go back on or before our 11th :-)

Also, we're not drinkers, but this was not a problem at all. While there were a lot of people drinking, this was never a problem for us. Plenty of non-alcoholic options and we loved the fruit bar by the mineral pool.

A great option for any couple wanting to get away.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 6, 2013

After our third experience with Couples,San Souci it still draws us back.. Must be the wonderful staff first of all that really make it for Susan and I. From the girl who makes our bed to the guy who cleans the beach on the au natural side, "ya mon, all is irie." Sure we all have our days, good and bad but without a good staff combination and moral, face it, the place would suck..But that wonderful walk that we take down to the Pallazina for our breakfast after a restful sleep is met by beautiful smiles and sincere wishes for a good day. Our stays have been blessed with some great memories of staff, many who are still there after the first time we went in 06 who still remember us. Don't know how they do it? Nice job Pierre.
Ok, food is wonderfull, anytime I don't have to cook is great for me. Ya, the Casanova is a culinary experience but I still find the atmosphere of Pallazina more relaxing and the food more simple. Libations, sure they help relax and taste good but they put on fat and give you a hangover if you've had too many..Happy that we could make all the dinners this time around because we weren't feeling "under the weather". That Jamaican sun is a killer...Happy to have had plenty of shade on the au natural beach which is still the best. Oh what else can I ramble on about? Oh the tired furniture...ya, get over it, I'm sure if you had dozens of people wander through your living room in the middle of summer for a few years I'm sure the neighbours would complain too. It's homey, clean, comfortable and for many of us repeaters a second home for sure..Hey the main lounge furniture was new and clean this time...
Looking forward to our next trip where you'll find me by the mineral pool, hav'n a smoothie,(ok, so I put some rum in mine) and trying to concentrate on reading a book while the waves are gently lapping the shore behind me and the blender in the shake shop is whipping up an other concoction. Cheers

Room Tip: Irregardless of your physical abilities you have to try 'G' Gardenia building simply for the...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We had an amazing trip here. The staff are amazing (special shout out to servers Keston and Carlton, & Chefs George, Simpson, Nicky, & Miguel).

First, for my fellow Celiacs, Couples San Souci is VERY accommodating and helpful in providing Gluten Free food. I highly recommend CSS for Gluten Free travelers looking for an all-inclusive. All of the eateries have options available for every meal. I only had one meal where I was served gluten.

Here are a few overall suggestions for eating at CSS Gluten Free: 1) talk to the chef each time you go to a restaurant (with the exception of the Beach Grill for lunch…once is enough there). That was hard for me to do because I hate being a bother and asking for all the special needs, but I got over it because the staff was so nice. 2) Try to eat as many “local” dishes as are safe to each. These were the most rewarding foods I had there, and many of them are Gluten Free. 3) take some packs of Gluten Free bread and rolls/buns. You have a mini-fridge in your room where you can keep them to make them last. It was nice to take a bun to lunch so I could have a “normal” cheeseburger and some bread to b’fast for toast. (the staff may look at you a bit strange at first, but by the time we left, it was a running joke when we ate because I became “the guy with the bread!”). 4) stay away from all soups during your stay there. The standard is to use flour, and the chance of contamination is high, even with a special request. 5) make dinner reservations before you arrive. A lot of times Casanova was full, and we wouldn’t have been able to eat there if we hadn’t had a reservations

Here’s a breakdown of each of the restaurants at CSS for Gluten Free:
Casanova (Dinner only): The BEST restaurant there! It is the more elegant dining experience, and we loved it. We ate there four times, and I asked to speak with the chef each time (except one, which cost me!). Most items on the menu were safe with a few modifications, which the chef was always very happy to do.

Palazzina (B’fast, Lunch & Dinner): This is a buffet for B’fast and Lunch and a buffet/service combo for dinner. There are always Gluten Free options available. For breakfast, stay away from the buffet eggs, but there is an omelet bar where you can get fresh eggs made however you want.

Beach Grill (Lunch)/Bella Vista (Dinner): For lunch, this is where you can get a cheeseburger or some Cuban pulled pork. For sides, stay away from the French fries. I try to stay away from cross-contamination in deep-fry oils. The chefs told me the French fries were okay, but I saw that they used the same baskets & oil for fries as they did for onion rings, so I just got corn for my side. For dinner, treat this place much the same as Casanova. They have a good menu, but will need to modify some of the sauces and foods they serve.

Tuesday Beach Party & Friday Starlight Gala (Dinner): The Tues Beach Party was, without a doubt, the best meal we had during our 9 days there. They serve a lot of local dishes there, and they were all great. #1 food we ate there was the Goat Curry. It was amazing, and I had about 4 helpings! The Fri Buffet is good too, but it doesn’t serve as many local dishes.

Room service: We enjoyed the restaurants so much that we didn’t order this for any meals. The only thing we got from this was nachos, and I didn’t try them. I didn’t trust the cheese. I’m sure they have Gluten Free options, but I never asked.

As for the rest of the resort, there’s not much I can say that hasn’t been said on other reviews. In a snapshot, 1) we had a beachfront room, and were very happy with it. I know others have had not so good experiences with rooms, but ours was great. 2) the free snorkeling was good. It was a bit short, but they take you out to a reef to snorkel for about an hour, which was plenty for us. 3) if you want a beach chair in the shade, get there fairly early after breakfast. 4) if you go to the Dunn River Falls tour (which I highly recommend), take cash to tip the driver and tour guides. They will sell a DVD for $40 of the tour that includes photos they take of you. We didn’t buy it because we took a waterproof camera and didn’t really want to buy a DVD that consisted of 25 strangers repeatedly yelling “Ya Mon!” to the camera :)

I’m sure I’ve already forgotten much of the other great experiences. We can’t wait to go back.

Room Tip: Everyone who had a beachfront suite was very happy. I would suggest requesting the "B-Block&qu...
4  Thank PurdueFan95
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Our stay was from June 11 to 19, 2013, but I have waited to see if my feelings would change. First, let me say that hubby and I were married here in 2007 and were so excited to be returning for our 6th wedding anniversary celebration since our first visit was so amazing. Maybe expectations were set a little high. From landing in Mobay, to Couples' lounge, and on to the van and ride, all went smooth. The van was a little stuffy along with 2 hours of horrible country music but hey, we were in Jamaica and time passed. Upon arrival, check in was quick and pleasant, bellhop took our luggage to room with a few comments here and there. The room [D-7] was amazing, corner of D block looking out on ocean and resort/beach. Wonderful views of birds and local fishermen. Negative was no table in the bedroom and one of the chairs was placed under the wall TV which made a very tight squeeze getting out of the bed...assume so one would not hit their head on the TV . The bathroom was huge with double sink and walk in shower - always plenty of hot water and pressure. We enjoyed room service each morning with coffee (so yummy), juice, and pastry. Then, we had our protein breakfast at Pallazina which was always fresh and well prepared. I fell in love with the callaloo, a green kale-like veggie served most mornings. You can eat in (AC) or outside with fans. Warning, there are 3 scrawny cats who bug you for handouts and guests encourage them with attention and food. Lunches were either back at the Pallazina restaurant which is beach level or at the Beach side grill…both serve good food. This resort should get some kind of award for the fabulous desserts they put out each day. The French fries and burgers were excellent at the grill. The beach bar is here also. Bar drinks are OK but seemed to have too much ice so got watered down quickly even with bubba cups. Mojitos were great the first 3 days we were there and then mint disappeared about when bananas came in – no bananas the first 3-4 days so no Chunky Monkeys. We ended up drinking scotch, martinis, or coconut rum on ice, and of course Red Stripe. I guess we don’t have the sweet tooth for the blended drinks. Cassanova and Pallazina evening meals were good, with some parts great. The cold seafood appetizer at Cassanova was fabulous and the pasta station at Pallazina was excellent. Make sure you make your reservations early as there is no place else to eat dinner on the off special dinner nights other than beach grill or room service. Even if you want to cancel, at least there is a place for a nice dinner.
The watersports were wonderful and included even though you don’t get to go as often as you might like on the snorkel boat. You must make a reservation for the snorkel and glass bottom. Please if you decide not to go, CANCEL your reservation as some people never got to go and then the boat only took out 4 people instead of the 10 who signed up – just be courteous. Kayaking, sailing, paddle boats, snorkel, water ski, scuba and wind surfing all are usually available. There are lots of floaties for use in the shallow water off the beach and usually no problem getting a beach chair. The sand is coarse with shells and little rocks in some places. The seaweed is raked each morning but there is seagrass growing in the water. Some people might prefer to wear beach shoes – one person stepped on a sea urchin and got stung – very hurtful. Do not forget to use sunscreen - easy to burn even with it.
The Repeater’s dinner, Beach Gala, and Beach Party were all very well presented and the shows for the Tuesday night show were awesome especially the two brothers and the contortionist. The female dancers were adorable and did a great job of shaking their thing! The property grounds are beautiful and very well kept. There are many little walkways and places to explore. On the walk to the large mineral pool there is a small mineral grotto pool; that is delightful with cold spring water which is so refreshing. We saw a cool water whirlpool also over by the mineral pool but it always had a closed sign. The other hot tub whirlpool was way too hot most days for healthy sitting. The exercise room is large with a surprisingly good variety of equipment and free weights. Never made it to yoga or aerobics classes but did attend the aquacise which was very nice for a 30 minute activity. By the way, the aerobics instructor was the only “staff” member who actually talked to my husband and me and treated us with respect. The other staff responded when spoken to or did their polite robotic thing, “Are you OK?” which made me feel like they thought I was lost or confused which I was not.
Which brings me to the major issues with CSS this trip in that we were ignored by the photographers and tolerated by the bar staff. Everyday photographers were by the ocean, pools, grounds, restaurants, etc. Not once did they ask if we wanted pictures. Couples were constantly asked all around us coming up from water sports, lying on beach chairs, going on excursions, in the restaurants – we were totally ignored except for ONE picture taken in Cassanova. How does that make you feel? Like we are not young enough, pretty enough, cute enough, can’t afford the photos – whatever – it was blatant for the entire week until it became a “joke” and we just waited with smiles to see if one would approach. Nope - they just looked the other way as if we did not exist. As for bartenders, again, the louder, pushier crowd was served first even after we had ordered. Also, I have to say I was embarrassed by the young Americans with filthy mouths and the loud rude behaviour in the "fancy" restaurants (yes ball caps and flip flops along with yelling). In hindsight, we made a huge mistake coming the first part of June as that is the wedding month after all. With all the beauty and facilities and the specialness that CSS had to offer these few things completely spoiled a very nice vacation.The resort is too expensive to give it another try – but we will keep the memories from the first trip.

Room Tip: We have stayed in Block A and D - and both were completely different but very nice...good views.
1  Thank PJGARG
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stayed at Couples again this year -- still fantastic! Probably one of the best all inclusives we've visited. A lot of reviews mention the dated rooms...honestly, as long as they are spacious and clean, I'm quite content. The food is amazing and the room service is prompt! The resort dinner on the beach is beyond exceptional...entertainment wonderful. If you've never experienced a Couples Resort, I would highly recommend it!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kschobes
Reviewed July 2, 2013

June 14-24th 2013 was another amazing trip to Couples Sans Souci! We got to stay longer this trip and we wish it would have been longer. Every visit the staff just amazes us. We do not have to do anything because a staff member is always willing to help if asked. The grounds are worked on daily, yes 7 days a week. They are amazing! There is always food and snacks available and unlimited drinks. I love how the bartenders do so much entertaining. My husband and I cannot imagine going anywhere else because of how well we are treated. My husband says that at least going to Couples Sans Souci that we know what we are paying for and it is well worth it. We are afraid to go anywhere else because of how well we are treated and how well relaxed we are. Each trip brings something new. The rooms are well kept, the staff and management is great, the food and excursions are awesome (Dunes is a must), and the watersports are really fun. I think that anyone who goes to Couples Sans Souci will not regret it, and trust me, you will want to go back. We have gone every 6 months since our first visit in Dec. 2010 except for this past December.

Room Tip: Or favorite Buildings are A and B. These are both located only steps away from the beach. The one be...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocho Rios
#7 of 80 in Negril
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#2 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!