“Amazing!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
York, United Kingdom
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

I traveled here with my partner for a week and we will definitely be returning! We were upgraded on arrival with it being our honeymoon to a suite overlooking the cove. There is a saxophonist who plays around the resort on a couple of the nights which really added to the charm of the holiday. The food was to die for, especially at the gala dinner where there was so much to choose from.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank helen b

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,249)
Egg Harbor City, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Our fourth trip to Couples, third to Sans Souci. We stayed from June 1-8 2013.
Any reservations we had about returning home, melted away as soon as we stepped off the bus. From the girls at the front desk who kindly gave us a room on the second floor after I accidentally asked for a specific room that was on the first floor (stupid me) and the bellman, Lemworth, who kindly took us back up to the office after I realized my mistake, to the guys putting our bags on the bus when we left. and everyone in between! Everything was great. Every evening Camoy at the beach bar would give me two cups of ice automatically! Seeing Maureen at the pallazina and the beach bar was awesome. She remembered us from last year and made us feel right at home. Ruth from the spa is highly recommended. I had a hot stone massage and the bamboo massage and i feel great. Ruth really knows her stuff. Dominique at the pool bar and Masell (he is at the pool and beach bar )were right on the ball and highly entertaining. Speaking of entertainment- Simone (fluffy) was fabulous! so much fun! And as an added bonus Milton was also working in entertainment as well! What a great kid! I hope he goes far with his future. Joel and Jerome at the veggie bar by the mineral pool were fantastic! and Marvin did a great job with the pool and jacuzzi. There are a lot of trainees here as well. I think they all did a great job! Vanya, Denae are so personable and work very hard, I apologize because I can't remember all the names of everyone ( I did remember them when I filled out our comment card! Sandy, our housekeeper did a great job with our room and Una always freshened up our room during turndown.
Erol, landscaper, is very knowledgeable about keeping the grounds and staying green! ask him anything!

Couples Sans Souci has one of the best teams we have ever come across. They should be very proud of this resort and the greatness of the people who work there.

Our room was A16, we had a great view of the ocean and pool. The bed was so comfortable, we slept like the dead every night. Lots of pillows too. The room also has an iron and board plus hairdryer. Our shower had great pressure and was hot when we wanted. The shampoo, body wash and lotion were very nice as well.Beach towels are big and we turned them in several times a day with no problems. We left our towels in the room when we left since it was early and it was not a problem not having a piece of paper saying we turned them in.

The after party at the au natural beach, we never heard them at all. The laughter at the pool bar was not intrusive at all. The beach party and the gala food lines were not an issue, we stood in line at the salad bar for a few minutes but the line moved well, as far as we were concerned.

Getting reservations was not an issue either. There were a few nights when I made last minute reservations at the Pallazina at 7pm. The Cassanova, however, I would make a reservation in the morning or the day before for 7pm. We find it hard to stay awake past 9:30 so prefer an earlier dinner. Room service was good, the only thing is I wish they would put the cheese platter back on the list. We did mostly late lunches and the club sandwiches and nacho's were excellent.

The repeaters dinner was held inside due to possible rain and it was lovely. The room was done up and everything was sit down and delicious! Sitting with Milton was a blast!

We are looking forward and planning our next trip.

3 Thank keki60
Ambler, Pennsylvania, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

We enjoyed our 7 nights in A block at Couples Sans Souci! As others have said, the property is lovely, spread out over the cliffs, lots of steps and neat walkways with beautiful views. Service is very good, most staff seem willing to help. Some have more of a "no problem, Mon" attitude which doesn't always translate into "Yes, I will help you with that request". Rooms were very clean, very functional, plenty of space. Not as modern as a newly built place, so if that is important you might be disappointed, but considering the amount of time spent in the room....We really liked the convenience of A block, but D block looked wonderful with gorgeous views and only about 57 steps to the beach.

Breakfast at Pallazina was better when we discovered the made to order omelettes and waffles and the smoothie bar! Dinner at Pallazina was very good, Cassanova was excellent and even the Beach Grille had very good dinners.

What we liked most about this resort was the quiet, casual nature. It is very laid back, and very relaxing. We really enjoyed the AN facilities on Sunset Beach and found all of the people we met to be very friendly and welcoming, as this was our first time! It was quite refreshing to experience the dynamic of pretenses, judgements and barriers dropping along with clothes. Note it is a fun and social, but NOT sexual atmosphere so don't be afraid to try it!

I'd recommend the private dinner in the Wedding Gazebo. It was quiet, romantic and delicious. Do bring bug repellent! The private dinner set up on Sunset Beach also looked beautiful. Worth the extra expense.

There are photographers around the resort and during dinner (Chevel is excellent) who will take pics you can purchase later. They were expensive - $15 per but they were nice and it was convenient to not have to take your camera to dinner.

The Dunn's River trip was included, close by, and worth doing. Ask for Malachai (aka Skippy) to take you out on the large catamaran, and definitely have Veronique make you whatever her special of the day is!

The beach bbq was fun and food was delicious. Wear your bug repellant! We could have done without the extended, 4 course gift shop commercial/fasion show, and really wish the "worlds best" steel drum band would have played more authentic, traditional music. I love Michael Jackson, and I imagine the resort assumes that American's may want to hear American music, but many others I spoke to agreed that we would have loved to hear some Jamaican music! The Starlight Gala was unfortunately moved indoors due to weather, which was not the most conducive and we were sad to miss what we've heard is a beautiful event.

Having been to Couples Swept Away before, I'd say the level of service is consistent and I enjoyed both places. While the beach in Negril is far nicer and bigger, it is also public which means many vendors. The beaches at Sans Souci in Ocho Rios are private and there were no vendors at all which was very nice. The water is not as nice and the sand is more rocky but the trade off is complelling for the relative quiet and not being disturbed!

This is a great place to relax, escape and be with the one you love, and skinny dip too :-)

Room Tip: A and B are closes to beach, pool, Sunset Beach and Pallazina.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jodi W
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 9 nights and we felt like we were in heaven from the moment we got to the airport lounge. Everyone is as friendly as the reviews say and they go out of their way to please you. We even got a little picky towards the end, just pushing the boundaries I guess and we were never told no to any of our requests. I don't think the rooms were dated or dirty at all, they seemed to go out of their way to want to keep them clean with daily maid service and nightly turn-down service on the beds. We stayed in a penthouse suite in D block, and the room was huge and it had 1 1/2 bathrooms with a huge balcony with beautiful views. We really enjoyed room service on our balcony for breakfast.

I am pregnant and I really enjoyed on sipping non-alcoholic frozen drinks while on the beach relaxing while my husband had his alcoholic drinks. We also loved all of the included water activities, we enjoyed the glass bottom boat ride, snorkeling, sailing, kayaing and taking the paddle boat. They always had enough equipment and we were never not able to do anything we wanted.

There was more than enough selection with the food, we didn't even get to eat at all of the restaurants, though we had our favorites like the beach grill for lunch. We also did a private dinner on the au natural beach, which was excellent. The price really was not bad either when compared with eating a 5 course dinner at a nice restaurant back at home. The food was excellent, above and beyond what was served at Cassanova & Pallazizina. I had the surf & turn and the steak melted in my mouth. Plus we had the whole beach to ourselves along with a private server and private chef who prepared it out there for us. We also got to do a sky lantern afterwards to make the evening extra memorable. They do offer a dinner on the main beach for $40 less, but it's really worth it to go au natural because it's much more private. We saw lots of dinners on the main beach and basically everyone could just walk by and see you. We took our own music and mini portable speaker as well so we could have music and our server took lots of pictures for us.

Another plus was the included Dunn's River excursion, it was good to get out and see the town. We also booked Hooves horseback riding through the resort and we loved it!! I would defiantly book through them because they will get you a private ride for the same price that others pay for the group ride.

I was slightly worried about the themed dinner nights since the other restaurants are closed on those nights, but the food was very good at both. We had prime rib and stuffed pork for the gala night and tons of selections on the beach party night. Our only small complaint was there was not enough reggae music! We heard quite a bit of American music that we just aren't that into like Lady Gaga and other 60's, 70's and 80's soft rock/love music type stuff. I think adding another night of steel pan drums and more local music would be wonderful, Jamaica has such a rich music culture, and I think the resort needs to embrace it a little more. We also thought the price of the pictures was too high, $50 for 3 pictures is steep when you can just take your own.

3 Thank Kitty L
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Just returned from a wonderful stay at Couples San Souci from June 3-7. The views are absolutely breathe taking. We really enjoyed being able to relax as well as participate in the activities around the resort when we chose to do so. We especially liked the room service. The food was good, but it would of been nice to have had more of a selection, but all in all we were pleased. We will definitely go again!

Room Tip: The rooms at the very top offer the best views, but beware, CSS has a lot of stairs, one definite dr...
2 Thank Jay0707
Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

This was our first trip to Jamaica and a Couples Resort, and found it was just what we needed - relaxation, romance and a little adventure. We were there from May 3-7, for a long weekend. From the moment we got off the plane, everything flowed very smoothly and everybody we encountered very friendly; staff, other travelers, etc. After reading some reviews on TA, I upgraded to the Mobay Pass, therefore we cleared customs in 10 minutes, and headed off to the Couples Lounge for a Red Stripe. We used the Mobay Lounge on departure, due to our longer wait, and their service was outstanding. Food, drinks, local rum, soft sofas - very nice.

The shuttle ride is a bit long, but it is great to see the Jamaican scenery and culture. The Resort, with lovely stucco walls and tile roof sits down off the main road, unlike some others that I saw, and is therefore very quite and peaceful. The layout is a large, wonderful arc of buildings, spread out with walking paths, endless botanical gardens and private areas for relaxing, all with great views of the bay. I just love waking up to an emerald ocean view, and even though the beach is a bit small, it is perfect to hang out, dig your feet into the sand and order up some food or drinks. I had heard about the Dirty Bananas, and I agree, they are very tasty.

For dining, the Casanova is wonderful fine dining with great service. Our waiter was happy, sang to us and soon we were all singing. Ya Mon'. The Pallazzina has very decent buffet food for breakfast and dinner. The dessert bar seemed endless and was delightful. The gala night dinner was moved indoors our first night due to a heavy downpour, and it is nice that everybody still had a great time with food and music. We did room service for breakfast each morning, just have your food and mini-fridge orders out side by 2am. Eating on the balcony was blissful. Cookie jars are placed strategically throughout the resort, for a treat after climbing stairs, returning to the hotel and at the beach bar.

We had fun exploring the lush, tropical grounds, lounging on the beach under covered cabanas, and splurged on some spa treatments at the gorgeous spa perched on the sea cliff. Try the hot stone massage, great, great. We appreciated that while there was music and entertainment each evening, it is spread out and they don't push you into participating in silly activities. It truly is a relaxing, couples destination, and the vibe of happiness certainly contributes to the romantic atmosphere. We stayed in the C block. Our ocean view room was spacious, AC cold, tile floors with a large, windowed bathroom. The water was super hot, however the tiles, could use a good beaching.

There are plenty of activities on and off site. Glass bottom boat, sailing, diving and Dunn's River Falls are complimentary, in addition to the usual fun beach sports, like snorkeling, SUB, and kayaking. The concierge is very helpful to arrange off-site jaunts. With an arranged driver/guide, we were able to shop the craft market for a locally-crafted drum my son had requested and sought out some jerk chicken. We also did the Blue Mountain Bike Tour and the Dunn's River Falls, both amazing.

All in all, the staff and the lovely environment created an amazing get away for us. CSS is quite, scenic, safe, romantic and not overly crowded. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank returnmetokaneohe
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

I'll note our only complaint right off the bat - the rooms need updating/throughouly cleaned. Other than that - everything else was AMAZING from when we stepped into the Couples lounger off the plane to our depature! The staff, service, food, ambiance, grounds, beach, themed nights, water activities... etc. It was our first trip to Jamaica and definitely won't be our last! So relaxing and truly worry free. The main beach is secluded with very calm and warm waters. The Au Natural beach is better for sun set viewing, etc. But we stayed on the main beach during the day :-) Seriously no complaints about anything other than the updates needed in our room (Verandah in D block).

Room Tip: A and B blocks have newer rooms, but will be a little louder (by swim up bar) D, E, etc. rooms are i...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Couples Swept Away
#15 of 84 in Negril
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,049 reviews
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!