“San Souci Exceptional”

Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Saskatoon, Canada
“San Souci Exceptional”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was our 2nd trip to a couples resort and we were not let down. Last year we spent a week at couples Negril and loved it . Just got back from 2 weeks @ Couples SS and we are already booking for next year. The beach at Negril was sensational but it is a public beach. Not so @ SS.
Very quiet and very private. It was our first time to experience an au naturel beach and we loved it.
The staff,the food, the service was all a cut above. I would recommend researching your room location to insure balcony placement and view
Carman&Donna

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CarmanandDonna
CSS_Operations_Mgr, Manager at Couples Sans Souci, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review of Couples Sans Souci. As you noticed, our beach is smaller than the one in Negril but is very private. I'll pass on your compliments to our service team, it is always extremely gratifying for them to recieve such warm praise for their efforts.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,295)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 23, 2013

This was my 3rd time to Sans Souci in 11 years. If you are looking for an inclusive that is a cut above the rest then this is the place for you.

I holiday once a year in the Caribbean and have been to many islands but Jamaica is my number one choice. Why? The people are the friendliest and they try hard to make your stay perfect. They are always happy and smiling and they make you feel at home. Honestly - forget Mexico. Jamaica is what you need.

Now to Couples Sans Souci. I have stayed at various Sandals resorts which are absolutely fantastic but Couples is a slight notch above them based on my needs which I will explain below.

My wife and I are 45 with a kid and we need to get away to a place that is tranquil, beautiful and upscale. We love to be pampered as we both work in IT and have pretty demanding jobs.
This is where Couples excels and especially the Sans Souci resort. The average age is 35+ which suites me as there are not too many 18-30 around who obviously like to party. Don't get me wrong, we love to dance but its a bit more relaxed and not so much go-go-go like Sandals.

The Spa is phenomenal and we really splurged with 3 visits in 7 days. It's not cheap but it is the best you are ever going to have. The Spa has private gazebos built on the hillside on the oceans edge so you can hear the waves crashing while you get massaged. They have couples massages where you are privately massaged in the same gazebo.

The staff are very attentive and give you many options to have fun but do not over-pressure you like Sandals. There is diving, snorkelling, pool volleyball, croquet, tennis, cycling and much more.

The grounds are immaculate and very beautiful. Sans Souci is a very special place and we will be returning soon.

Room Tip: The rooms are all good.
7 Thank Andrew L
Thank you for your amazing review! We hope to have an opportunity to host you for a 4th vacation sometime soon, in the meantime we'll do our best to ensure that everyone else enjoys their stay as much as you did.

O'Fallon, Missouri
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Long over due review'

This was our 4th trip on Couples properties and CSS was the last for us to see. It is not our favorite, but the service and food at CSS was incredible! We are beach people so the beach was a big let down for us!

We had booked a One bedroom ocean suite based on the pictures we saw as we love a big balcony. Well when we arrived to our room D-aa our balcony was only maybe 4 ft by 5ft. It was tiny. We actually downgraded and got a new room D-7 because it had a great balcony! From that point our trip was great!

Took advantage of the spa services. The first was a Couples massage in the hut over ocean. It was incredible! I then got a hot stone massage a couple days later which was also awesome!

Food and service was excelllent here! If we could take the food and service at CSS and put it on the CSA beach it would be perfect!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your glowing review of Couples Sans Souci. You make a great point about the beaches - there are some differences between the beaches at our resorts. Couples Swept Away is on Negril's famous 7 mile beach which is ideal for those guests who like to take long walks. Couples Sans Souci's beaches are smaller cove beaches which offer more of a private, romantic feel.

We're so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and I have passed on your compliments to our service staff.

Casper, Wyoming
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Couldnt have asked for nicer people, everything they say is included really is. My husband and I cant wait to go back next year. Clean, fun, reasonable price. Jack Daniels was our favorite person there. He helped us with all of our water activities and really made the experience great!

Room Tip: They only have Pepsi and 7up for soda, hard to not have Mountain Dew for a week but I survived.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank ChristineFergy
Kitchener
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed at Couples San Souci for 10 days, January 28 - February 7.
As we were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary, we were hoping that we would find this resort peaceful, with good food and good entertainment. Our expectations were more than met.

By reading the information on the website about the resort prior to our trip, we realized that we would not be going to a brand new, shiny resort, and expected a more gracefully aged facility, so we were not surprised to find that the room we stayed in was a bit dated. Having said that, everything was functional, tidy and clean. The room we stayed in was in the the 'B' building right on the beach and it was an ideal location to get to the beach, the Bella Vista Beach Grill, or the Palazzina where the breakfast and lunch buffet was located.

The views from every angle in this resort are pretty special. I do not like humidity, and found that because this is a smaller resort, situated right on the water, you get a breeze in most places. The 'old world charm' of the resort, and the graceful trees and vegitation was enchanting. We found Jamaican hummingbirds hovering at one point on our climb up the stairs to the Cassanova. They seemed to have a nest in one of the trees in a sitting area. It was a welcome sight and gave us a chance to catch our breath before tackling the remaining stairs. Stairs are not that terrible here, unless you have health or knee issues. We found that climbing them was actually a welcome bit of exercise which we needed from all the good food and drinks.

The resort sent us a bottle of champaigne and some fruit on our second day with a nice card wishing us a happy 30th wedding anniversary. It was a nice little surprise. The mini bar is stocked with premium liquor, and in my case, I requested extra bottles of water since I am a diabetic.

I can honestly say that this resort offered a surprising wide variety of diabetic-friendly vegetable dishes, and the food in general was probably the best we have experienced in any resort. Since it is a smaller resort we figured that after a while food would get repetitive, however, the menus cycle well and the Tues. night beach party and Fri. night gala offer a nice array of food as well. My husband was in his glory at lunch one day when they were carving up freshly roasted turkey.

The entertainment on the Tues. night beach night was really fun and enjoyable. Dynomite brothers act was pretty darn good, the Silverbirds steel drum band was awesome and the banjo playing and singers were great Jamaican music and I am very picky musically and artistically. This was definitely the best caribbean show we've seen at a resort ever.

On our last night at the resort, we decided to ditch our reservation, and instead went to the Bella Vista Beach Grill and had lobster on the beach while listening to soft banjo and guitar playing and song. Waves were rolling in softly almost beside us while we dined in candle light. I told my husband that "this was as good as it gets".

There are so many dedicated, hard working staff at this resort. I hesitate to mention some that come to mind, only because I know I will be leaving out so many that I did not know by name. Thank you to the sweet bartender Peter who actually climbed a coconut tree and cut down a coconut, sliced off the top and handed it to me on the beach, so that I could experience drinking pure coconut water. These coconut drinks are available at the mineral pool, however, they were closed at the time and he told me that he would get me one... Casen, "Magic Mike" (Dehalo) and so many others actually took the time to remember our names, and enter into conversations with us. This resort gets five gold stars for its staffing.

I had to see the nurse because of some infected sand fly bites and she was very helpful. A word to the wise, 'bring bug repellant' and antihistimines.

The only negative thing that I would mention was that we found a few couples consistently reserved four beach chairs for only two people by 7:30am and then were not around a good part of the time. This got a bit annoying because there were a few times during our stay where we definitely had trouble finding a place to sit on the beach. Beach chair 'hogging' happens at other resorts too, however, since this is a fairly small beach, it became incredibly irritating. I do not know why these people think that it is OK to be so inconsiderate to everybody else. Clearly they must think that they are 'special'. The beach itself is very nice, the water is clear and clean, however, it is somewhat shallow and there are some weeds that could perhaps be removed to make the swimming experience more pleasant. Some people wore water shoes we noticed. In the end, we found our way to the mineral pool several times, and quite enjoyed swimming and sunning in that part of the resort. We did not go to the au naturel beach as that is just not within our comfort zone, and the main pool had activities going on which would inhibit swimming at times. As swimming, sunbathing, and water sports go, there was something for everyone at this resort.

We would definitely return to this resort. Thank you Couples San Souci for the Carefree Experience.
Susan and Grant from Kitchener

Room Tip: Choose A or B block for close proximity to Palazzina, and Bella Vista Beach Grill, proximity to the...
10 Thank SusanKitchener
SPRINGFIELD, MISSOURI
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We have been fortunate, and have traveled many places around the world.
Italy, Greece, Austrailia, Bora Bora, Switzerland, France, Turkey...but this is my utmost favorite place to go.
This is our 2nd trip to Sans Souci, 3rd trip to couples. By far the BEST all inclusive we have stayed at. (Sandles, Dreams, Palace, Riu)
We like it because of the employees there, it is small and therefore never crouded. Food is excellant, activities are great. I don't know how they could improve on perfection.

Yes, the facility is older, but it has been well kept up. There is always someone there on the grounds to make it look good. While we were there, our friends had a water problem...a main water line broke. Within 20 hours they had the main line dug up, repaired and hot water. A major task considering it was all done by men, no large excavating equipment.

Room Tip: We like beach front. Close to beach, food, nice view. A & B suites.
3 Thank Keitha315
Lutterworth
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We had a 3 night stay. The food and service are 5 star, no doubt about it and it was nice not to have to wear the dreaded all inclusive wrist band. We arrived well before the check in time but were told to make full use of all the facilities, including the bars and restaurants. When we left we also got to use the bars and restaurants after we had checked out - a very nice extra! We were in G Block, nice sized rooms but just a little tired looking. The number of towels in the bathroom was amazing, far more than needed. Beach towels were also in the room along with a notice telling us how to change them and what to do at check out. The room had a good safe and mini bar, all free of charge. The mini bar was stocked up by calling a number on the room phone and what you ordered was delivered in about 10 minutes. From the beach to the room I counted 105 steps, so if steps give a problem try and get a room in block A or B which overlooks the pool and beach area. The pool and pool bar were clean and well serviced. There are small catamarans which you can use after having instruction (if necessary). There is a glass bottom boat and 2 snorkeling trips every day. Dive trips are also available. The sea is quite shallow, so swimming is not easy unless you venture beyond the area roped off for swimming and if you do you are likely to be called by the lifeguard.

Room Tip: Ask for Block A or B if you need to avoid steps.
6 Thank Basil F
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!