This was our first trip to a Couples resort and our 3rd time to Jamaica. We arrived at Sans Souci 3 days after Sandy hit for a much needed 10 day vacation. While there was still a lot of work to do around the resort, we were pleasantly surprised at how far they had come with the cleanup and were just excited to be somplace warm together.
There were a few minor things that kept us from rating this resort 5 stars, but let's start with the positives first.
1 br beachfront suite A block - very nice room, kept clean by the staff fixtures were a little dated, but no big deal. Great hot water and water pressure.
Most employees were extremely nice and helpful. Tanisha was our favorite bartender and took great care of us each day.
Food was very good for an AI resort. Cassanova food quality was excellent. Pasta bar and breakfast omlets at Palazina was superb. Don't miss the fish tacos for lunch at the main beach. The Starlight Gala was the best buffet we have ever experienced. Room service was timely, the food was good, but the menu is very limited. We did not make it to Bella Vista for dinner.
Main Beach & Pool were clean and looked very nice although we did not spend time there during our stay. No comparison to the beach in Negril, but there were no vendors bothering you either.
Sunset Beach & Pool: We spent most of our days at Sunset Beach. While the beach is a little on the small side, there was plenty of room for everyone. The first 7 days of our trip, 80% of the people at the resort seemed to be at SSB! The main beach and pool were not crowded at all. Unfortunately, the beach was in pretty bad shape from Sandy, but we can't hold that against CSS as they were there cleaning up every day that we were at the resort. I'm sure it will be back in shape soon. The pool was awesome, and the people at the AN beach were some of the friendliest people we have ever met. This was the first AN experience together for us and after 10 minutes we knew where we would be spending most of our time. All I can say is "Once you go, you'll know". The best part is that it is not clothing optional. Everyone is nude so there is nothing to be afraid of. Do not wait til your last day to experience a beach the natural way. You will not have any regrets.
The resort propery overall was beautiful. Again, Sandy did wreak a little havoc, but everything was very well maintained and the landscaping was beautiful.
Mini bar selection very limited without paying extra.
Room service menu limited.
Service at Casanova with a late reservation (8:30) was very slow as it seemed that the staff was more interested in getting their closing chores done than serving the guests. After the first time, we thought this might be a fluke, but we experienced the same thing 2 other nights. Earlier reservations were no problem, service was prompt and friendly.
The smell!! - This may have been due to Sandy, but each night at about the same time, the smell of septic/sewer would permiate the air around A block and invade our room. This made some of our evenings not so enjoyable. We wrote this off to drain field problems due to Sandy as we have not seen any other reviews that mentioned it.
Too many employees "hanging around" at Sunset Beach. We understand that there were a lot of people needed to clean up after the hurricane, but at times it could be uncomfortable with the number of employees that were at the bar or just standing around.
Sandals glass bottom boat. Are you kidding me???? Each day, sometimes multiple times, a boat from Sandals Resorts would cruise past the nude beach and even stop for a short period. This did not really bother me, but my spouse and other people on the beach were made uncomfortable by it. We are Sandal's Select members, and have been to several of their resorts, but due to this immature behavior and lack of respect for their neighbors, we will probably never return to a Sandals resort again. Some of us did have fun waving to them and walking right out to the boat to give them a piece of our mind.
That's about it. We did not partake in any excursions, the spa or watersports, but many people did and it looked like fun.
We will definitely consider returning to Couples Sans Souci. It's a great resort with great people! We had a wonderful, carefree stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the cliffs of Jamaica’s emerald coast above a dazzling stretch of Caribbean, Couples Sans Souci beckons you to surrender mind, body and soul. The resort's 'no worries' mantra comes to life as every day unfolds. Lose yourself exploring secluded stone pathways. Melt away stress in the healing natural mineral springs. Feel a rush of exhilaration scaling Dunn's River waterfalls. Or simply drift asleep in a hammock by the sea. Located in vibrant Ocho Rios, the resort's design pays tribute to an understated colonial elegance—intricate latticework, white woven furnishings and feathered palms set a refined stage for your island escape. Dining options abound—from authentic Jamaican fare to five-star international cuisine. Private cabanas at cliff's edge provide the ideal setting for our signature spa treatments, while the choice of resort activities knows no limits. Learn the art of living well while living in the moment at Couples Sans Souci. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Travelocity, Hotwire, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, HotelsforEveryone and HotelQuickly so you can book your Couples Sans Souci reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Couples Sans Souci Hotel Ocho Rios
- Couples San Souci
- Couples Sans Souci Ocho Rios
- Couples Sans Souci Jamaica/Ocho Rios