“A Special Place”

Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Exeter, United Kingdom
“A Special Place”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

This is our upteenth trip to CSS but a long time since we did a review. A usual the ambiance at CSS is superb, a real high quality relaxed atmosphere which makes you feel great as soon as you arrive. Pre check in really helps because you can be in your room within 10 minutes. We stayed in the Roger Moore Penthouse Suite with its wonderful views across the beach and excellent for seeing all the wildlife including Pelicans. To have breakfast on the balcony is wonderful.

The resort itself probably needs a little updating, but it would be dangerous to move into the 21st Century, this is a niche resort and if you are into the days of James Bond, Ian Fleming and so on, then this is the resort for you, cocktails in the Balloon Bar, and dinner under the stars afterwards at Cassanova complete with Trevor the pianist.

There are lot of places to chill, our favourite was Sunset Beach, maybe not for all (its a/n) but that is not a problem, no pervs here, just relaxation. The main beach is really nice, and you have the Blue flag treatment if that is what you want. With three restaurants and in room dining thrown in at no extra cost, the choices are unlimited with the menus changed weekly. I could mention the wonderful gardens, the tropical feel to CSS, the Spa, Sports, Gym, whatever, but its really the staff which make this place, never is anything too much trouble, just ask and it will be done. Don't expect the service of a plastic new hotel, this is sheer quality and a return to the days you felt like a king or queen. Well done CSS we shall return again and again.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and go for a Penthouse Suite, you wont be disappointed, after all its a long way to tr...
9 Thank barrymcnamara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,261)
Ca
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Our first trip to a Couples resort was on our honeymoon in 2009. We went to Couples Negril and enjoyed it so much we decided to try another property. Our trip was great; there were some "issues" but nothing we couldn't overlook that the staff didn't try to fix as soon as we brought it up. This property is huge, and built on a hill. That being said, we would spend the extra money and get a beach front room when returning as our room was an ocean view next to the lobby on the top of the hill, so I think we lost more weight that we gained from all the rich food. The one thing that we were disappointed in with this property was the option for restaurants that you didn't have to have reservations for (only 1) and lack of an "easy" 24 hour food option. The room service was good, but some items were not available all the time and you had to place a dinner order earlier in the day. In Negril (as well as at Tower Island) they have a soda fountain and nacho bar which we loved for the times we were not really hungry, but wanted a drink and something to snack on. The last night we were at CSS we were offered to transfer to Couples Tower Island for the night. We took the offer and fell in love with CTI. Not to say CSS was not good, but there was a big difference in the atmosphere and hotel itself. We are an early 30's couple and at the time we were there the crowd at CTI was just a better fit for us. We would go back to any of the resorts as they really are "home". For us, we have thought about going to other all-inclusive resorts, but we keep coming back to the Couples brand because the service is so great - "once you go - you know".

Room Tip: If you don't want to feel like you are on a stairmaster choose a beach front room. The view fro...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank M E
Guilderland, New York
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Couples Sans Souci was amazing. The staff was terrific, always happy and getting you anything you needed to make your stay that much better. The resort itself was beautiful and so many different little pathways to get to wherever you needed to go to. I have not one complaint. My husband and I went for our honeymoon and we are hoping to back within 2 years, we loved it!!!

5 Thank Lisa H
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My husband and I went for a week to Jamaica for our honeymoon in January 2009. The resort was beautiful and the staff so friendly. We get off the bus at the hotel and go to take the bags to our room when the bellhop says "you aren't here to work, let me take those to your room". And it only got better from there. Free 24 hour room service as long as you ordered before 11pm. All the activities including scuba diving are included in the stay. The restaurants were fantastic, the Italian restaurant was our favorite. The hotel is only 75 rooms, adult only and more then worth the price we paid. You could head down to the beach at any time during the day and get a chair and shade or sun at any time. Resort staff would walk by on the beach and ask if you wanted to go out on the Hobbie Cat or do some other activity. Needles to say we went on the hobby cat prob more than 5 times during our week long stay. We went snorkling, played beach volley ball, did daily activities like making straw hats. They had a galla one night for their 3 year anniv, beautiful ice sculptures and fantastic food on the lawn behind the beach. They had shows every night for everyones enjoyment. We would love to go back again, probably for our 10 yr anniv.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Amy B
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My husband and I travelled to Couples Sans Souci March 17-24/12 with 3 other couples. All I can say is that everything was Absolutely Fantastic! Everything from the rooms, the food , the service and the staff was Incredible. My husband and I chose this resort to renew our wedding vows for our 25th wedding Anniversary. The staff at Couples Sans Souci went above and beyond to make this trip as special as it could ever be for our special event! We will always cherish the time we spent at this wonderfull place. We had the time of our lives and have decided to try out 2 of the other Couples Resorts in 2014 as we plan to meet up with a special couple that we met there during our stay. I would like to return to Sans Souci some day but we USUALLY do not visit the same resort twice.(but then there is always a FIRST in everything ) :-))We would like to recognise all the staff at Sans Souci for their beautifull smiles, their kind greethings and the wonderfull service all around. I would love to name ALL the wonderfull people there who has made this trip the best one we have ever had. Although in fear of leaving anybody out , I have decided not to list names as you all deserve the credit! You will always hold a very special place in our hearts and would like to say a warm **Thank you** from the bottom of our hearts !!!! Ps ; would like to add however that hubby and I had the BEST messages of our lives while we were there!

We are hoping that the other Couples resort will be as Great as this one was!! Thank you so much all of you at Sans Souci! We will never forget your smiles, your lovely greetings andyour hard work, .Would love to rememeber all the names but have chosen not too name any as I would hate to leave anyone out! You all deserve a gratefull 'Thank you' for everything you do to make everybody there feel so special and at ease!You will all hold a very specaial place in our hearts!! xoxoxo

Room Tip: We stayed on the beach and loved its location and the view
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank wheezer1964
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My wife and I travelled to Couples Sans Souci in July 2012. I don't even know where to start in describing our vacation. It was more than we could have imagined. Everyone at the resort was incredibly nice and welcoming. I would like to give a special shout out to Jermaine (entertainment), Peter (bar trainee) and Ruth (spa). They each made our honeymoon special, from remembering our names and always saying hello, to knowing what drink we wanted without even having to say it, to even hanging out with us on our last night and having dessert (Jermaine, you sir are awesome). One thing I can say about the resort, as well as everyone else, is be prepared for stairs. If you don't want to walk up and down stairs, then don't stay here. Don't be the person that comes on here and writes a bad review just because you had to walk a few stairs. CSS is amazing, and that should not deter anyone from going to Sans Souci. The food was specatcular (chocolate filled crossaint rolls anyone?), the drink were amazing and always refreshing. We loved everything about the resort and are already planning a trip back for our 1 year anniversary. If you are looking for the best place in Jamaica, I don't know how CSS isn't in your finalist list. Thank you CSS!!!

Room Tip: We were in G block and it is by far the best block on the resort. We had a beautiful view of the oce...
7 Thank TxStCA
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Just got back from our 7 night honeymoon at CSS. After spending months and months researching all-inclusives in the Caribbean, my wife came upon CSS and said this was the place she wanted to go. Needless to say, we were not disappointed, but completely satisfied with every aspect of this resort. Since there's so much to say, i'll try to break my review into categories:

The Property: Breathtakingly beautiful, it really feels like you are walking through a jungle as you walk around the resort. It is truly serene, as my wife and I found out walking the grounds at 5:30 in the morning and seeing one person the entire time. Everywhere you go there is something new to discover, such as comfortable hammocks overlooking the ocean, the mineral grotto, or a hot tub next to the main pool that we didn't know was there until 2 days before we left! The beach is also located within a nice little cove, so it's never windy and the waves are never big. While the water isn't the bluest i've ever seen, it was still very nice and you could certainly see the fish swimming beneath you.

Staff/Service: Outstanding, almost every staff member was friendly, would say hello to you walking by, and would do anything to make sure you were having a great time. I realized this was the case when I tried to help with my bags getting off the van but was told "no mon, you don't get to help, you're on vacation", haha. Domonique, Conroy and so many others were friendly faces at the bars, and Gracey-Ann was so sweet as our waitress at a number of dinners. Latoya always had a smile on her face as she brought us drinks on the beach. There were too many others to remember but we thank you all:)

The Room: We had a 1 BR Beachfront Suite and ended up in Room A21. Our room was very large and we had our own jacuzzi and patio:) We also directly overlooked the main pool with the swim up bar, and we were literally 1 minute walk from the beach and beach grill as well. If you want to be closest to the beach and the pool, definitely go for A or B block rooms. If a great view is more important to you, then C, D or E blocks are good, however you will have to walk many more stairs for those room blocks! We also had a really nice pond behind us, where we saw turtles, egrets and pelicans! While I agree that the rooms could use a little TLC, ours was in good shape and we really loved it. In my mind, when you are at a beach resort, having a room that reminds you of a beach house is a great thing.

Nightlife: It is here, but that's about all I can say because my wife and I couldn't stay awake past 10 after all the fun during the day! The Balloon Bar is open until 2 am and the Beach Bar until 1am I believe, and on Tuesday night there is a beach party on the Sunset Beach(au natural during the day). There is also a Friday night Gala where a party follows afterwards.

Extras: I absolutely recommend doing the Dunn's River Falls excursion, it's so easy and fun, and was one of the most beautiful things i've ever seen. Just make sure to bring water shoes! (or rent them there for $7). I also played golf at the Sandals Country Club, cost about $90 for club rental, caddy and a few drinks but was totally worth it in my opinion. The course was empty and my caddie Randall said it only gets crowded during the winter months. We also did the Glass Bottom Boat which was great (thanks Barrington) and were supposed to go snorkeling but chose to lay on the beach that day instead:) Though we didn't do these activities, we talked to another couple who said Mystic Mountain for ziplining and the Dolphin Cove were great trips as well, though a bit pricey and not included. Oh, and make sure to sign up for the Romance Rewards program on the website. You can take a day trip to Couples Tower Isle (5 min away and they take you in the van) so you can see that property as well!

Overall, my wife and I loved this resort and will definitely be returning for sure. From the minute we arrived at the Couples lounge in the Mobay airport we knew it was going to be a great week. If you're looking for a non-stop party I would definitely look elsewhere. If you're looking for an incredibly relaxing trip with friendly staff and a great atmosphere, CSS is definitely for you.

Room Tip: A and B blocks are best for beach and pool access, C, D and E blocks have better ocean views but wit...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Couples Swept Away
Couples Swept Away
#15 of 85 in Negril
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!