“Great getaway!”

Couples Sans Souci
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
“Great getaway!”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Went for our honeymoon and it was perfect!! The staff was amazing; always there for help and a good laugh! Take full advantage of the watersports and spa!! We stayed away from main beach, it was perfect.... Quiet and beautiful! Just what we wanted!! Can't wait to return!

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank JAld2711

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,305)
Morris County, New Jersey
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Very beautiful and expansive resort - sprawling - is a good word for it...
We found our room and the grounds to be very nice - the crowd felt to be more sophisticated and elegant than Sandals MB - the food was more about presentation and quality than quantity - which we appreciated - we loved the c/o beach and the complimentary tours offered - such as Dunns River - which was great fun - We enjoyed the tennis facilities and the tennis lessons - as well as a massage in a shack overlooking the ocean - nice cocktails and bar each evening - and a massive outdoor bbq / buffet that is offered once a week - with great entertainment -
my criticism - is centered around the staff - who i found - with 1 or 2 exceptions - to be much less friendly than sandals MB which was surprising - perhaps they are more inclined to "leave you alone" vs saying "Hello" to everyone - but the perception we were left with was one of distance and apathy... And the massage therapist was just plain rude...and annoyed...

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank harryandisabell
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed August 1, 2012

This hotel is excellent for some of us and may not be for everyone. The hotel was originally apartments in the 1950's so no 2 rooms are exactly alike and they have been somewhat preserved or "restored" for funky/vintage feel rather than updated and modernized. The hill with its narrow & steep paths and stairways adds to the character, but not good for the out of shape guests.(the beachfront rooms were added in the early 90's). The spa has unique individual massage gazebos, and the mineral pool dates back to the original property near the natural mineral spring grotto. The service is mostly excellent and always friendly. Food is great when comparing to many other All-Inclusive chains. The extra inclusions of diving, water sports, some tours, tennis lessons & fitness classes are a plus that are not included at all resorts that claim to be inclusive. For those who want sleek, shiny, new, lively, fluff like in room jacuzzis or butlers, some hotels in Mexico may be better suited. This is boutique and it's all about the laid back vibe known as Jamaican time.

Room Tip: Make sure this matches your personality. The au natural beach area is limited to couples together a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Wendy_AAA_vacations
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We arrived on June 24 and stayed for 7 nights. This was our 2nd trip to Couples, stayed at Swept Away two years ago. The landscape is beautiful and lush.(love the cats) We traveled with other family members and none of us were disappointed. My husband and I stayed in E12, and it was very noisy with the band playing at night. Instead of worrying about the noise, we just went down and joined the party. We were so impressed with the staff, they made the vacation very memorable, and we took with us many laughs and stories. Everyone spoke to you as you passed by them. I would agree, that the rooms and furnishing are out dated, but who spends their vacation in the room with all the beauty surrounding you outdoors.We ordered room service most mornings and relaxed on the balcony drinking our coffee, that is the only way to start your day. The repeaters dinners was awesome, very elegant. The Grand Buffet on Friday is incredibly, you have to really appreciate all the hard work the staff puts into this, It was a beautiful night, with gorgous displays of food and ice sculptures. The spa was wornderful, we had the couples massage and sea salt scrub,ahhh! I will go back, but stay longer next time.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank njd428
Bucks County
Reviewed July 30, 2012

we totally enjoyed our stay at this all inclusive. the food was excellent. we did not have one bad meal. Buffets were not the typical all inclusive. only 3 restaurants but they change the menu at 2 of them each day so we never tired of them. you can eat inside or outside. the staff works very long hours and 99% of them are always smiling, pleasant and willing to assist in any way. the room had a great view (3rd floor/ beachfront suite). wood furniture needed refinishing or upgrading but who cares! bed was very comfy. room service was quick and pleasant. couples message was in a beautiful location. message was good but not great. smoothie bar at the mineral pool is the best. all in all a wonderful vacation.MAKE SURE THAT DO YOUR HOMEWORK SO YOU DON'T MISS ANYTHING. THEY DON'T EXPLAIN ALOT.

Room Tip: beachfront rooms are a more central location. request a room on second or third floor as the view is...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Vicki A
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Overall, I thought the property was nice and would recommend it, but not highly.

First the bad---The rooms are dated. It looks like the hotel was built 30 to 40 years ago. It has been well maintained, but still was built in the 70's.

One illustration of this fact is that the window in the bathroom does not have glass. They are wooden blinds which open to the outside. Same with the "window" next to the front door. No one can see inside your room, but noise from outside is really loud in your room because there is no glass there.

It is 1 1/2 to two hours from the airport. That is a long drive. It is a scenic drive, but a long drive.

The drinks were so/so. The beer was good, but the frozen drinks we just average.

Jamaicans(or at least the ones at our hotel) did not work very hard. They move in slow motion. No worry is really there motto. The only problem is that it is "no worry" if you do not get more coffee or water. They have as many waiters as guests at the restaurants, so there should be no problem getting better service. It would be better if they paid the staff more and had fewer employees.

The Good--

The food was great. I did not have a bad meal. In fact, one night we had lobster, which is very unusual at an all inclusive.

The water sports were really fun. You could have someone take you out on a catamaran for free. Kayaks were free....Really nice.

The beach was nice...Small, but very calm...

Gym is really nice. It has good machines and has a fantastic view!

Overall, I would go again, but do not expect it to be a 5 star resort, because it is not.

Room Tip: Get one by the beach, unless you want to walk a distance for the two restaurants and two pools....
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank c d
Upstate, NY
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I'll start with our arrival at the airport. The resort has a waiting room at the airport- It is a shotty, dark room with a little bar set up in the corner. They serve waters, a juice, and Red Stripe. This was the introduction to resort. As we went to board our bus I noticed the attractive waiting rooms for the other hotels... starting to get a sinking feeling about our vacation.

We arrived at the hotel and we're sat down at the front desk next to another couple who was finishing checking in. It was almost awkward- there was one man trying to finish up their check in and we felt almost like we were intruding. Check in went smoothly and we were immediately brought to our room by a friendly bellman. As we walked down a paved drive way to our room I noticed maids carts left unattended in random spots, open doors, there were dirty plates and silverware sitting in garden areas, and when we were shown to our door there were dirty dishes (apparently from room service from the last people who occupied the room) sitting outside of our door. We were the only door in the little area so it couldn't have been someone elses. The bellman made no apology or attempt to move them, he just walked past them. Kind of made me worry about the cleanliness of the room.

Room: We entered the room and it was fair. We have stayed at beautiful resorts in St. Lucia and through out Mexico (Sandals, Riu, etc). Booking at a Couples resort, we were expecting the same level of luxury and cleanliness. Our room was large with a nice view. At first glance, we were a little disappointed but would make it work. The furniture was scuffed up, the bedding was outdated, etc. But it would work. The rooms only for sleeping right?
My boyfriend sat out on the balcony wrapping up a few work details while I began to unpack our suitcases. As I began to put our belongings away I got a better look at the room. There were stains on the walls and furniture. Like coffee or whatever, it looked like it would have been easily wiped away by cleaning staff. Ok, getting a little more disappointed... while putting away our bathroom toiletries I noticed a few ants crawling around the sink. I got rid of them and thought it is just the nature of Jamaica, get over it.
I moved to the ocean view room where the couch was to put away a few things and this is where it got awful. I went to set an item down on a table and movement caught my eye. Upon closer inspection, the table top was practically moving with little almost clear looking tiny spiders!!!! My boyfriend was still on a work call so I continued to look around the room. I found two ant trails with hundreds of ants crawling in and out of the room. I lifted up a rug to find hundreds of ants underneath it. Now I'm angry but afraid I'm overreacting. When my boyfriend came in I showed him and he was also upset. We began to look around the room and he moved the curtain on the balcony door. The door was broken and the door frame was not even attached to the door. There was a 2 inch gap between the door frame and the wall. WHAT? How does this go unnoticed. We called down to the front desk and they said they would send house cleaning up. Not acceptable.
I went down to the front desk and they said that they would send someone up to fix it. I told them I would not be staying in a room that is infested with bugs and that they had better send us to a new room before all of our clothes that I had just unpacked have bugs in them too.

For the next hour, we were shown rooms that were not to the standard of the room we originally had and paid for. We were shown multiple rooms, rooms with smaller bathrooms, with bathtubs (I can only imagine what their drain maintenance is like if they couldn't see a door not attached to a wall), with worse views, etc. After being dragged around for almost an hour in the oppressive heat and humidity (it takes a bit to get used to- love it, but is tough to handle at first!) I was starting to get mad. We booked early so we could get in late afternoon, unpack, and be ready to go when the other couple we were meeting arrived. Now, I'm sweating, mad, roomless, and have to repack everything I had put away. I asked for some kind of compensation for this awful start to our vacation. Finally, they said they did have one beach front room available. I don't even care where it is, as long as its clean, and comparable to what we were given and what we paid for. The room was nice, but outdated, not cleaned well, the molding in the bathroom was gross. Not what I would expect out of a luxury resort. HIGHLY disappointed by the accommodations and cleanliness. I felt like walking on my tiptoes and wearing shower shoes.

Pools: The main beach/pool bar pool was in a nice location but the pool was pretty gross. There was a layer of suntan lotion floating on top in areas as well as hair and leaves. I understand this will happen by the number of people using the pool but why not have someone come skim the pool every couple of hours? Every time I was in the pool I was pushing away leaves or hair. Ew. Also, the bottom of the pool is rusted? stained? in some spots? The pool chairs are rusted or stained? Made me not want to sit or stand in that area. The water was extremely warm. The mineral pool was much, much cleaner, nicer, cooler, deeper, more enjoyable. They had a smoothie bar with great staff, smoothies, and you could get vitamin water or beers here. No other alcoholic beverages. A nice idea! We would spend mornings here and then move to the main pool in the afternoon for drinks and music. (They have one speaker attached to the pool bar roof that they turn up and blasts tunes to make up for not having more speakers. A bit annoying especially when your sitting on that side of the bar).

Staff: We had a mixed experience with the staff. The entertainers were awesome. Challenging the guys to ping pong, hanging out with us, joining us for meals, taking us to Margaritaville and keeping an eye out for us. Seriously awesome. These couple guys and girls made the trip much better. This Couples resort is lucky to have these people on their staff. They live on the resort so they are always around and so friendly. However, some people on the staff were very strange, not friendly, and would look at you confused if you asked a question or responded back to them with anything other than yes or no. Also at times they made you feel like it was a hassle to get a drink or whatever. The scuba guys couldn't have been any more distant or unhappy they had to take us out. We asked if we could go to the sunken ship and they just said no.

Beach: Disappointing. It is a protected cove, no waves, no pretty water, hard sand with weeds coming through. Roped off swimming areas like at a state park. Did not see any type of drink service on the beach.

Another very odd thing that happened was one night we reserved dinner for the four of us at Cassanova for a "nice" dinner. We sat down in the darkened room and had high hopes. It was nice ambiance and were hoping for a nice meal. We were sitting for about 10 minutes when a staff member came up to our table and awkwardly/ uncomfortably asked if there was a man at the table with one of the guys last names. We said yes, and he said I need you to come with me, you have a call for you. The man kind of stood around and couldn't get out what he was trying to say and it was very uncomfortable, startling, and unnerving. My boyfriend was the person they were requesting so he got up to go. The three of us at the table looked at each other all worried. He was gone for about five minutes when I decided to go find him. He said that the resort manager or some other "high up" title was on the phone looking for him and asked if his private party was going well and if they could do anything for it? My boyfriend was confused and had no idea what he was talking about. The man on the phone said never mind and asked to be put back on the phone with the person at the desk. Very strange and frightening at first. We were all very worried something had happened back home. There was no real apology or anything for interrupting our dinner and worrying us.

I could go on and on and on about the resort but I'm not going to waste anymore time. Do not book here. I would not ever return here or recommend a friend or family member. I would be incredibly dissapointed if I booked this for a honeymoon/wedding/anniversary. I don't ever want to go back to Jamaica and will advise others to vacation elsewhere. Bad experience over all.

Oh yeah, bring bug spray with you and hope it works. We had huge swollen, red bug bites all over our legs the first night. We also saw many people with it much worse than we had. Talk about something to dampen your vacation. We immediately purchased bug spray at the resort store for almost $20. Ouch. Also, a lot of stray cats around. We were told they don't want to get rid of them because they keep the other pests away...

Room Tip: If you want to go to bed before 11 or relax in your room any of the nights, do not book by the ballo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Couples Negril
Couples Negril
#8 of 81 in Negril
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!