“No, It's not the Ritz or an All Inclusive, but if you want to stay on the economy with a great location, this is it!”

Silver Seas Resort Hotel
Ranked #18 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Florida
Reviewed March 3, 2011

This place is old & needs serious renovations. However, our room was clean. Sheets & towels were changed (sometimes not until evening). However, if you needed more towels at anytime they would be brought. The view was great. Balcony huge. Service is there just laid back & a little slow. The restaraunt was always open, even if it appeared noone was there. Don't expect much, but why would you order filet mignon a $59 hotel. However, the chicken wings were great, as were the fries. Skip breakfast. BK is down the road. No beach, but a 10 min. walk takes you to Mahogany beach (free) with bar & great jerk. The entrance, yes, pot holey. Oh well. Across the alley littlebar with locals where we met great friends. Lenny took us out to the reef right in back of the hotel for a fraction of price elsewhere. Find him at the dive center.

If you are very picky, scared of locals, want A1 service, this is not the place for you. If you want to interact, have a decent place to lay your head with a view, and have an open mind, you might have found paradise for cheap.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Reviewed February 25, 2011

It's an older hotel located in the heart of the city. For youger women traveling around the city is quite intimidating with not a lot of tourists around. The rooms are nice with a beautiful ocean view. Everyone was pleasant and willing to help when asked.

• Stayed February 2011
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed February 23, 2011

My fiancee and I went to here...I will not lie to you the price is awesome and the rooms are nice and spacious.

We really didn't want to go there based on the very bad reviews we saw but was running really low on funds and wanted to have a romantic get away.

First off i love the security guy can't believe i forgot his name he was so nice.
He went to made sure my fiance got a great spot to park car so it dont get stolen and he also showed us our rooms.

I love the fact that there weren't alot of kids running around it was very intimate and i got to spend alot of time with my man.

we didn't swim in the pool cuz i thought it looked kind of dirty and the beach look like it had prickly stuff in the water so we didn't swim there.

We went to dunn's river and ate at alot of restaurant in the town which was great.

We had breakfast there one day ,and that was good so we decided to have dinner there one night .The food was horrible and they took forever to serve us.
O had to get up and call for someonre to come, seem they have forgotten us but i guess thats because we never normally eat there but will never again.

I think the security guy's name was cliff not sure such a nice man we gave him a tip before we left.

If you are used to high life i wouldn't recommend it but i did have a wonderful time and the room were clean and nice.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
Reviewed February 9, 2011

This is a great hotel in the best location in Ocho Rios because it was the first one there. It is right on the beach opposite the reef where everyone comes to snorkel. It's parking lot fronts on Main St the main street in Ochi. Granted the lot is potholey and some of the rooms which are not being used are in need of repair but that which is being used is very clean and spacious. Our room was on the second floor overlooking the water with a fantastic covered balcony where every day we would watch the tour boats come in and take their people snorkeling. I could do it for free from the hotels beach. The pool is very clean and the workers are awesomely friendly. It is not a place for children who need entertaining as there is none and the beach is non existant. The water laps against concrete walkways and a concrete pier sort of thing. The hotel is only meters away from super markets and small Jamaican restaurants and bars. The town market is maybe 100 meters down Main street from the parking lot. Its a great place to call home from where you can explore the north coast. We had a rental car for 2 weeks and drove everywhere. The hotel's parking lot is secure. There is a restaurant in the hotel where the food is adequate. We ate breakfast there each day but not the other meals. We like to explore gastronomically.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ljgill
Tennessee
Reviewed February 9, 2011

Four of us (early 60's) just returned from an eight night stay @ the Silver Seas. Upon first arriving, we were a little taken aback @ the age & seeming disrepair of this hotel, but were awed by the view. By the end of the first day we were so glad that we had chosen to stay here! Our rooms were very spacious and clean (though showed age) and the large balconies connected so we were able to enjoy the views together. All of the staff was exceptionally friendly and went out of their way to accommodate us. We ate breakfast and lunch in the restaurant nearly every day and after trying 3 local restaurants in town for dinner, ate the rest of our dinner meals in the restaurant, also. Barry was the dinner cook and if we would tell him in the afternoon what we would like for dinner (even if not on the menu), and what time we wanted to eat, he would have it ready and it was always delicious! Lenny was in charge of the snorkel shop and was as friendly and accommodating as Barry. He set us up for a sunset sail that was awesome! All of the cruise ships that came into port sent their snorkel excursions to the reef that the hotel overlooked and we were able to snorkel at every day. We met a couple one day from one of the cruise ships that just stopped in to enjoy a drink from the bar. They were past visitors to the hotel and wanted to say hello to the staff and enjoy the view. We learned that the Silver Seas was the first grand hotel built in Ocho Rios (1948) and as will happen w/o an influx of $$, has declined w/age. It was still lovingly cared for, even Precious who braids hair, was sweeping the leaves from the almond trees around the pool deck. Many times we commented that the hotel was as gracious and beautiful as an aging movie star from an earlier era. If you're looking for an anonymous all inclusive American style resort, don't stay here. But if you want a feel for Jamaica and it's people and are willing to overlook modern accommodations for the spectacular view, go and enjoy the Silver Seas.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank pkteacher113
sacramento
Reviewed January 29, 2011

I travel to Jamaica about 5-6 times a year and this is the 1st time I stayed in Ochi. I actually was on my way to the airport from St Mary and I stopped in Ochi to get a few things and I absolutely loved the vibe! So I decided to extend my stay and I ran across Silver Seas, It was a nice average Hotel and I checked out the room before paying and deciding to stay. The room was large, it was clean, the bathroom was clean with NO mold and the water pressure was fine, the balcony had a wonderful view, and I had clean towels. The cost of the room is wonderful. If you're just looking for a clean safe place to sleep then this is your spot! There was a guy that was very attentive, he asked a couple times if I needed anything, so I asked for ice and brought me back plenty. My only complaint was that there wasnt a fridge and Im not sure if guest can rent a fridge during their stay. Other than that it was all good! It was a Thursday night and I went to club amnesia and had a blast!!! I will be back!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Wells, Maine
Reviewed January 28, 2011

After visiting Ocho Rios for the past nine years, I finally discovered Silver Seas! I was visiting friends and decided I needed some "me" time. This was the place I was looking for! My room was clean, comfortable and quiet! You can either enjoy the beautiful pool or swim in the gorgeous turquoise ocean, steps from your room. The staff was most accomodating and Francis my housekeeper was a jewel. Let me add, the shower was nice and hot and the water pressure will take a layer off after a long day in town! I actually sang a tune! Hee Hee. The convenience of being in the heart of Ocho Rios enabled me to shop, pick up a few groceries, go out to dinner and grab the daily paper.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple