Silver Seas Resort Hotel
Ranked #14 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed February 9, 2011

Four of us (early 60's) just returned from an eight night stay @ the Silver Seas. Upon first arriving, we were a little taken aback @ the age & seeming disrepair of this hotel, but were awed by the view. By the end of the first day we were so glad that we had chosen to stay here! Our rooms were very spacious and clean (though showed age) and the large balconies connected so we were able to enjoy the views together. All of the staff was exceptionally friendly and went out of their way to accommodate us. We ate breakfast and lunch in the restaurant nearly every day and after trying 3 local restaurants in town for dinner, ate the rest of our dinner meals in the restaurant, also. Barry was the dinner cook and if we would tell him in the afternoon what we would like for dinner (even if not on the menu), and what time we wanted to eat, he would have it ready and it was always delicious! Lenny was in charge of the snorkel shop and was as friendly and accommodating as Barry. He set us up for a sunset sail that was awesome! All of the cruise ships that came into port sent their snorkel excursions to the reef that the hotel overlooked and we were able to snorkel at every day. We met a couple one day from one of the cruise ships that just stopped in to enjoy a drink from the bar. They were past visitors to the hotel and wanted to say hello to the staff and enjoy the view. We learned that the Silver Seas was the first grand hotel built in Ocho Rios (1948) and as will happen w/o an influx of $$, has declined w/age. It was still lovingly cared for, even Precious who braids hair, was sweeping the leaves from the almond trees around the pool deck. Many times we commented that the hotel was as gracious and beautiful as an aging movie star from an earlier era. If you're looking for an anonymous all inclusive American style resort, don't stay here. But if you want a feel for Jamaica and it's people and are willing to overlook modern accommodations for the spectacular view, go and enjoy the Silver Seas.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank pkteacher113

Reviewed January 29, 2011

I travel to Jamaica about 5-6 times a year and this is the 1st time I stayed in Ochi. I actually was on my way to the airport from St Mary and I stopped in Ochi to get a few things and I absolutely loved the vibe! So I decided to extend my stay and I ran across Silver Seas, It was a nice average Hotel and I checked out the room before paying and deciding to stay. The room was large, it was clean, the bathroom was clean with NO mold and the water pressure was fine, the balcony had a wonderful view, and I had clean towels. The cost of the room is wonderful. If you're just looking for a clean safe place to sleep then this is your spot! There was a guy that was very attentive, he asked a couple times if I needed anything, so I asked for ice and brought me back plenty. My only complaint was that there wasnt a fridge and Im not sure if guest can rent a fridge during their stay. Other than that it was all good! It was a Thursday night and I went to club amnesia and had a blast!!! I will be back!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 28, 2011

After visiting Ocho Rios for the past nine years, I finally discovered Silver Seas! I was visiting friends and decided I needed some "me" time. This was the place I was looking for! My room was clean, comfortable and quiet! You can either enjoy the beautiful pool or swim in the gorgeous turquoise ocean, steps from your room. The staff was most accomodating and Francis my housekeeper was a jewel. Let me add, the shower was nice and hot and the water pressure will take a layer off after a long day in town! I actually sang a tune! Hee Hee. The convenience of being in the heart of Ocho Rios enabled me to shop, pick up a few groceries, go out to dinner and grab the daily paper.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank echase50
Reviewed January 16, 2011

HI, I want to be civil about this review - so I'll tone it down and keep what I think of anyone that doesn't "get" why staying at the Siver Seas - is the true, only Jamaican experience..... If your want a 5 star hotel and with people fussing all over you, go to some other hotel please. .... but if your sense of adventure and love of the Jamaican culture and the open hearted, giving, and extremely intelegent people are something that you are looking for, this is the place .... We've been going there many years now, and have come to know it as a second home -- we could choose to go anywhere we want! but this is our destination and second family. What makes it the true Jamaican experience is the people who you meet and work at the hotel ..... the good company of folks that stay there who are attracted to Silver Seas.... and the freedom to explore ..... we have brought friends with us that have stayed then gone to other hotels the next year, then they always come back here .... your not trapped in a compound - your not spending 1000's of dollars, and you are 5 minutes walking from street food, big attractions and any shopping you wish to pursue' ... Barry and Ivan will Cook anything you want - let him know a day ahead of time, Percy is there for your safety and help' and can tell you of the grand history of Silver Seas, and Nunny and Precious to braid your hair or help choose some blessed beads' look to the street for good jerk Chicken one night' quarter man, shorty or any of the other venders --- find Sk'reechy for a day tour or informative trip to shaw gardens' or mystic mountain ... Lavenia will serve and make your first Jaimacan breakfast langorous and perfect -- Try the Rasta mix with the callaloo, saltfish and breadfruit! call Paullette and Carol with any pretrip questions they will be at the front desk and to help with your arrival and check in' I'm posting my e-mail here for anyone that would like to know more about the real Silver Seas' you can mail me, shardaveri@cox.net and hear from someone that has actually stayed there, and not run off to an all inclusive' which are nice, but you can really do that anywhere? that is like your making the hotel your destination and not Jamaica ...... let Jamaica welcome you and meet the people' and the best place to do that is in Ochi at the Silver Sea's - your Family awaits you' love U' one love - soon come! 'Dave and 'Sharon

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SharDaveRhodeIsland
Reviewed December 31, 2010

I wasnt sure what to expect Of the Silver Seasm when I booked my reservations on Line, But From the Moment I arived, I felt Welcome, I was Very Pleased at how Clean and spacious the rooms and proerty was, Great Layout of the DIning and pool, beach and dock. It had everthing I needed, The Room was wonderful, Big Colorful, nice Big Veranda which I sat on having my jamaican Coffee, looking out into the sea..So Beautiful.
The Staff were extremely Friendly and helpful, you gelt like family. I stayed with them for 15 Days, The Meals were Wonderfuly prepared and Very Tastie. The Silver Seas has a Great Location ..after a 2 minute walk, your right on Main Street. Dont forget to go to Kings Bakery and Pizza, its right on the corner to your right :) order a number 10 Full House Deluxe Pizza !! One of the best Pizza's Ive ever Eaten, and believe me Ive eaten a lot. I had one WonderfulExperence at the Silver Seas and would give it High Recomendation for any travelers. Ive been going to Jamaica for Years, And his Hotel For the Value is Now My Top Pick. Funny thing, when I travel I take a few pair of white socks, maybe wear them for 5, days and then just throw them out, well To My Surprise, when I cam back to my room one day, One of the House maids had taken the socks out of the garbage and completed washed and hung them out to dry, now there's service you just find anymore... Great Staff, Very Nice Hotel, Wonderful Pool, Best Value From this Canadian Traveler Gives ther Silver Seas a Big Thumbs Up ....
Gary Linn
Lethbridge Alberta Canaada
[---]

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank glinn716
Reviewed November 15, 2010

Silver Seas is not for everyone, But Ideal for us once again. Very laid back with an Irie vibe.

Wonderful room and fabulous veiw.
my only problem is that the mattress' are old as are the linens.

Highly recommend the resturant if arranged with Barry. It was one of our best meals while in town. Out last night there and we were shocked at what we had been missing here. It was usually not even open in the evenings but Barry the Bar manager has taken over the resturant and made it a special evperience.

I mentioned the veiw being beautiful but partially blocked by the folage and they came later and trimmed it all up.

Bring a collapsable cooler and they will bring you ice in the mornings. the Hi-Lo Grocery and an Internet and Cambio all a the the entrance to the property.

Cant wait to return!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2010

Went for my son's wedding!
I checked out the reviews on tripadvisor and decided to go for it. When I pulled up to the hotel I wondered if I had made a mistake, the entrance looked a bit worn out, but once inside, this hotel's faded glory shone through. My room was very spacious and clean; it had a small TV but no remote control. The grounds are beautiful and serene, the scenery stunning.

The location is perfect, a few steps down the lane and your in the middle of Ochi. Many locals and foreign family members of locals stay here. Met some very interesting people and had long chats at breakfast. I ate breakfast at the hotel a few times, it's good and reasonable, they'll make what you want.

The staff are very friendly and accomodating, Barry, Paulette, Davis(not sure if he works there) and Percy; housekeeping were great, they supplied fresh towels everyday.

Conclusion: For the price you can't beat this hotel; yes it's basic and a bit worn but so am I.
If you want to experience old Jamaica this is the place.

Tips:
Not wheelchair accessible (lots of steps)
R/T airport transfers get Viator, under $40 www.viator.com, they were great.
Cell phone charges are criminal, I got my phone unlocked at the market across the street and bought a Digicel sim card and minutes; perfect!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo