Silver Seas Resort Hotel
Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My friend booked this hotel as we were only going to Ochi for a short stay as part of a lengthier trip, I'm not usually a fan of budget hotels but this was a great surprise!

Our room was spacious and clean, the bathroom was immaculate although the tap splashed water everywhere, and the balcony was huge and had amazing sea views. Honestly I was seriously impressed at the view given how little we paid for the room...in a major hotel you would have spent at least triple the price for a view like that!

We did have problems with our balcony door; it was tricky to open and close and also the front door was not the sturdiest! Please bear in mind there are no in-room safes...this did not affect us as we did not carry any valuables which would be left unattended in the room. There is security and the hotel felt safe, however I ensured that we stayed in a room on the second floor.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I can honestly say I was not eager to stay at Silver Seas based on the reviews I read. Even after going there to see what it was like before booking I was hesitant. I however decided to stay there as the price was right. I stayed with my fiance and we're both Jamaicans. We're from Portland and just wanted a little getaway. We opted to see firsthand where we were staying before we booked as we weren't too familiar with Ocho Rios. We checked in the night of September 3 and checked out September 8 for a total of 5 nights. The views were great, the staff was great except one guy who worked the night shift, he wasn't too pleasant. Donna, was great, I believe she is in charge of entertainment. It would be nice if they gave her more creative freedom as I think she had great ideas to engage the guests of Silver Seas. Her ideas I believe would draw more guests and give the other hotels good competition. I sorta envied watching the guests of Sandals' splashing and dashing on jet skies and boats. I also heard music, and lots of excitement coming from over there. They could certainly stand to offer guests a little bit more as far as more than one soap bar (thought I used my own) ice, cups, bottled water, a mini fridge would be nice. Some basic items that I've seen in other hotels. Nonetheless, I enjoyed my time at Silver Seas. The price was the most endearing aspect compared to the other hotels in the area. Would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor to get a great ocean view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nikita P
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This lovely place, must have been a perfect location for 007 fifty years ago. Or for the next Scooby Doo movie... Hotel is from 1949, oldest in ocho rios,now being renovated. Very spacious rooms, very quiet in a back street just in the centre and good price value. Now being renovated, very comfortable, quiet and a breathtaking view of the ocean at your feet to enjoy from your private balcony. Great service and excellent kitchen for reasonable price. Shortly, don't miss it when going to Ocho Rios and please leave a spot for us!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Leontine M
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

After booking Hibiscus Hotel in Ochi arriving and being very disappointed for the price and quality of stay, we decided to cancel our reservation. My best friend has been to Jamaica quite a few times and recommended that we stay at silver seas which was only 1 block away. I should have listened to him from the beginning. For 2 people the cost was under$60 tonight the rooms were huge with massive balconiesand amazing ocean views that were un abstracted. this is right in the heart of the city with food and multiple bars a stone's throw away.the beach at the hotel is very small but safe if you want to go to a beautiful beach you can take a 10 minute walk towards the Jamaican Grandeor just go to Negril. For anybody going to Ochi STAY AT SILVER SEAS. laid back relaxing good time.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Aaron C
Reviewed September 3, 2013

To start off with, this hotel is very quiet and have a beautiful, very lovely, ocean view. The ocean looks very tempting to swim in but i never had the chance to swim because i had to cut my visit short.

I called and ask the rate per night for the rooms and i was given a specific price. When i arrive i was charged 20% more on what i was told over the phone. The rooms need a bit more freshening. Both Ice & water must be available in rooms for guests who are traveling from afar.

Please take reservations so that you can have these rooms fully prepared for when guests arrive.

I'll be back soon.

Room Tip: Make a reservation, pressure the receptionist to do so.....Pay down if you have to...Make sure you s...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kerry_ack
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My family and I stayed here from for 4 days in August. This is a very old Hotel, I have been told that it is the first hotel to be built in Ocho Rios, so that tells you that it is not a 4 or 5 star. The first thing you will notice is that the front entrance is very motel like, very old and could use some renovation, nevertheless you get what you paid for, we were not expecting the Grand Bahai...the rooms were big and spacious, air conditioning worked and that was a plus. There is a tv but you will have to put a deposit of $750JCN ($7.50 Cdn) in order to procur one, this is returned when the converter is returned. Our room had a balcony overlooking a spectacular view of the ocean,,,there is a very clean pool and nice patio where the kids spent hours swimming, there is no beach, but there is a nice walkway leading to the ocean and a stepway filled with moss to get into the sea itself, I felt this was very dangerous and every time my kids stepped onto those steps my anxiety level went up, just scared that one of them would fall and hurt themselves ,,,in other words the steps could use some cleaning. overall we had a good stay here, the staff were very friendly and helpful...The negative drawback is that there was no fridge, no microwave or ice machine in the building,,I do consider those necessary items,,,,,I would stay here again, particular good if u are on a budget,,,,,We had not booked on line but walked in and found it was much cheaper to do so,,

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2013

...the rooms need a good cleaning. The cleaners do the absolute bare minimum. They need a few ice machines dotted around the place since there are no fridges. Had to buy ice at $40 a cup from the bar every day. There was no ceiling light in the room and the only working lamp in the room gave a dull light...too dull to read. No remote for the TV. There was a wooden floor above my room (cant remember the room number) and boy did I know about it when the occupants were about. At one stage there was water dripping through the ceiling into my room and when security went to enquire were told that the occupants had knocked over a bottle of water.

On the plus size the rooms are large, all rooms offer a beautiful view of the Caribbean sea and it is in a central location. The patio was also large and great for taking pics of passing boats and ships. Never ate in the restaurant so cant comment on the food.

Would I recommend it? Actually, yes. It is good value compared to other hotels in Ochi if you are on a budget. I would much rather stay here than in an all exclusive any day.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor rooms....those to your right if you are facing the receptionists.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo